PDA

View Full Version : Socks for a thru-hike

2009ThruHiker
09-28-2008, 19:31
So I'm looking at socks and brands and weight and while I prefer Smart Wool I'm wondering which weight of socks are best for a thru hike. I'm taking 3 pairs, but there is light , medium, trekking , expedition.... which is best and why? Thanks so much for your advice.

clured
09-28-2008, 19:33
Light, unless you know yourself to have exceptionally delicate skin. Personally, I think that Patagonia socks are better, but the brand is a subjective thing.

2009ThruHiker
09-28-2008, 19:34
what does delicate skin have to do with light , medium, etc... thanks!

dessertrat
09-28-2008, 19:57
Use the socks that fit best with the boots you will be wearing. Assuming you know that already.

BookBurner
09-28-2008, 20:06
I hike in Smartwool Adrenaline Light Crews - light, breathable, relatively quick drying. I sleep in the Adrenaline Medium Standards - warmer, more ankle coverage. I got 250 miles and counting on my current pair of Crews. And I expect my current set of Mediums to last forever (or until the dryer eats one).

take-a-knee
09-28-2008, 21:16
Use the socks that fit best with the boots you will be wearing. Assuming you know that already.

Excellent point, your sock selection can fine tune the fit of your boots. Go hiking with socks of different thicknesses and find what works best if you haven't. Boots/socks that don't fit will sideline you pronto.

Blissful
09-28-2008, 21:43
Most everyone has delicate skin until yu hike miles upon miles to develop those nice hard callouses.

I like socks with some cushion and brathability. Wigwam ultimax socks were good ones for me and lasted a very long time. But I like smartwool as well.

Nicksaari
09-28-2008, 22:09
i wear two socks. maybe that should be my trail name, seeing as how i dont have one.
what do y'all think?

Two Socks?/?

bigmac_in
09-28-2008, 22:14
i wear two socks. maybe that should be my trail name, seeing as how i dont have one.
what do y'all think?

Two Socks?/?

Sooner or later you'll get a trail name, whether you want one or not. Let it come to you.

Haiku
09-28-2008, 22:32
I used to hike in SmartWool Adrenaline Ultra-Light Mini Crew socks, but then it dawned on me that a good way to stop getting the blisters between my toes that I always get (nothing like hiking 2,400 miles with permanent blisters and rubbing) is to wear Injinji toe socks. The only problem with toe socks is that you can't just wear them on the other foot once the big toe gets a hole in it. I carried a needle and thread just so I could darn my socks when they got holes.

Haiku.

Panzer1
09-28-2008, 22:59
When I'm out in very cold weather I keep a pair of heavy socks to wear at night to help keep my feet warm.

Panzer

mtnkngxt
09-28-2008, 23:21
Smartwool all the way the warmest most breathable socks I've ever worn. I wear full ankle high socks with leather boots during the summer and my feet have yet to sweat.

Pokey2006
09-28-2008, 23:23
Whatever you get, make sure it dries super-fast. I hate it when it takes two days for a pair of socks to dry out. I had Thorlos that absolutely refused to dry out for me. Most useless pair of socks I've ever owned. Then I had wool socks that dried in an hour, after wringing them out really good. Nylon dress socks do the trick for summer hiking.

clured
09-29-2008, 00:57
what does delicate skin have to do with light , medium, etc... thanks!

2009 - Many people make the mistake of thinking that thickness = more padding = fewer blisters, which couldn't be less true. Usually, the thicker the sock the more opportunity for chafing/bunching; those big, bulky, yarn-y things are relics of the 80's. So, for most people, thin breathable socks (like light-weight smartwools, patagonia, etc.) are best, much preferable to the "hiker" categories.

That being said, some people have skin that is genetically very fragile, or that reacts really badly to moisture - of course everyone's feet are a little tender straight off the couch, but some people have really, unusually delicate feet. If you're one of those people, the padding of the thicker socks can provide cushion that may outweigh the problems with the heavier grades. But for most people very thin socks are best for hiking, imo.

nelisx
09-29-2008, 08:15
I used to hike in SmartWool Adrenaline Ultra-Light Mini Crew socks, but then it dawned on me that a good way to stop getting the blisters between my toes that I always get (nothing like hiking 2,400 miles with permanent blisters and rubbing) is to wear Injinji toe socks. The only problem with toe socks is that you can't just wear them on the other foot once the big toe gets a hole in it. I carried a needle and thread just so I could darn my socks when they got holes.

Haiku.

http://www.injinji.com/

I just wore these socks hiking and they also eliminated the blisters between my toes. I wore a pair of CoolMax crew socks over top of them as well.

waderoe
09-29-2008, 08:22
Any wool/syn blend sock should do the trick. The thickness depends on you, your shoes, the fit, and your feet.
I use wigwam, smartwool and darn tough. My favorite socks are darn tough hands down.

wrongway_08
09-29-2008, 10:50
I used 3 pairs of medium Smart wool, with 2 pairs of liner socks.
They lasted around 1,100 miles before I replaced them all at the same time.
No foot problems. I also used medicated foot powder (in the small $1.00 bottles)

After the Smart Wool fell apart I tried a set of padagonia (sp?). They seemed thicker and better built but all they did was attract every piece of dirt and take forever to dry out, they also bunched up in my shoe and sliped foward when wore with the flip flops.

I also got a pair of point 6 socks, they just never felt right and are thin.

Went back to Smart wool and new liner socks for the rest of the trip - no more problems.

Footslogger
09-29-2008, 10:53
So I'm looking at socks and brands and weight and while I prefer Smart Wool I'm wondering which weight of socks are best for a thru hike. I'm taking 3 pairs, but there is light , medium, trekking , expedition.... which is best and why? Thanks so much for your advice.
=============================

Lots of good ones to chose from nowadays. I did my thru in Thorlo Light Hikers with Coolmax and still hike in them today. Durable and comfortable and not do datgawn expensive.

'Slogger

darkage
09-29-2008, 12:26
I hike in Smartwool Adrenaline Light Crews - light, breathable, relatively quick drying. I sleep in the Adrenaline Medium Standards - warmer, more ankle coverage. I got 250 miles and counting on my current pair of Crews. And I expect my current set of Mediums to last forever (or until the dryer eats one).

Same here, adrenaline light crews ... tho i don't have blister issues between the toes someone else pointed out ... "Fat feet?" lol

2009ThruHiker
09-30-2008, 09:18
So can I assume then that the various socks are more about fit than warmth? Should I look at it from the standpoint of sizing the shoe to fit with the sock or the sock to fit the shoe?

I also have a shoe question I hope I can get answered here in relation to our upcoming thru. My wife really enjoys her sandals for comfort, but she's never really used them with a full pack, just day hikes.The sandals in question have as much tread as a low cut hiking shoe, but are obviously exposed to the elements. I would venture to say that they also offer even less support around the foot and ankle as well. Is it even feasible to attempt a thru in something like this?

BookBurner
09-30-2008, 17:25
While doing a traditional thru-hike (Marchish to Octoberish), you don't need to overly concern yourself about keeping your feet warm while walking. Just about any thickness of sock will do the trick for most people. (I just returned from hiking in 6" of snow in Colorado's Weminuche and my piggies remained reasonably comfortable in my Adrenaline Light Crews and breezy trailrunners.) Definately focus on fit and comfort instead.

As far as sizing, fit the shoe to your foot with your preferred socks already on! Buying socks after the fact seems to be begging for a misfit, one way or the other.

As for sandals, others with first-hand experience can weigh in. But it certainly has been done many times before.

corialice81
09-30-2008, 17:32
I didn't think sock size what too important...BUT in my experience, make sure your socks have a snug fit to ensure that they aren't too big to cause hot spots (check out my pics on trailjournals to see what too large of socks can do to tender heels).

If you have time, test out your footwear BEFORE your actual thru hike.

In rainy weather I went with two pairs of sock liners and didn't get a single blister. But it's all conditional based on your feet, shoes, weather, etc.