PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Question

2009ThruHiker
09-28-2008, 21:54
Our departure date just got bumped up a month!!! I'm stoked. ;) But it means colder weather and the 30 degree bag most likely won't cut it beginning March 28th. We are looking at a 15 degree 800 fill down super stretch bag. Will this be good enough? I don't want to end up sleeping in my clothes every night for the first month and I cant just buy the bag and try it out for a month so I really would appreciate anyones experience, especially with this bag specifically.
My wife and I will both be using these with a substantial air mattress. She sleeps colder than I do though.

Phreak
09-28-2008, 21:56
15 degree bag should be plenty warm for that time frame.

Marta
09-29-2008, 06:55
My wife and I will both be using these with a substantial air mattress. She sleeps colder than I do though.

If the weather is quite cold, air mattresses will suck the heat right out of you. In very cold weather, I put a closed-cell-foam mattress on top of my air mattress, so I have the comfort of the air and the warmth of the CCF.

I haven't tried a Down Airmat, but I include several Therm-A-Rest models and the Big Agnes Insulated Air Mattress in my statement that air mattresses will suck the heat right out of you.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-29-2008, 07:03
Our departure date just got bumped up a month!!! I'm stoked. ;) But it means colder weather and the 30 degree bag most likely won't cut it beginning March 28th. We are looking at a 15 degree 800 fill down super stretch bag. Will this be good enough? I don't want to end up sleeping in my clothes every night for the first month and I cant just buy the bag and try it out for a month so I really would appreciate anyones experience, especially with this bag specifically.
What do you plan on sleeping in? Most mountaineers count on all their clothing to add additional insulation.

cascader
09-29-2008, 07:52
You don't necessarily need to buy a new bag. Just supplement the bag you have with a silk liner for the first month or so. Then you can mail the liner home, or keep it for the hot times, sleep in it on top of your bag.

I hiked ten days last spring, beginning about March 20, in NC/TN, encountered light snow and rime ice, and was comfortable with a very light 30 degree bag and a silk liner. I slept in my long sleeve zip-t as well on the colder nights, and a very light stretch balaclava.

maybe this will work for you--

2009ThruHiker
09-29-2008, 10:20
What do you plan on sleeping in? Most mountaineers count on all their clothing to add additional insulation.

I don't sleep well in clothing, so I'm hoping the clothing will be an emergency valve only....I plan on sleeping in boxers...that's it.

Blissful
09-29-2008, 14:02
Sounds like a good choice if you have the $$. And you can get temps in the teens in early April. Either that or a 20 degree. Definitely get it for her. Air mattresses also make it chillier unless they are insulated somehow.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-29-2008, 18:15
I don't sleep well in clothing, so I'm hoping the clothing will be an emergency valve only....I plan on sleeping in boxers...that's it.
You may be a bit ripe when you crawl in that bag, a liner like cascader suggested will provide a dirt and hopefully smell barrier that adds a few degrees.

Dogwood
10-05-2008, 06:29
If U R determined to sleep in boxers and thrash around while sleeping the 15 deg Montbell Super stretch bags R well made and should do U just fine. If U were to add 10 degs. to your temp rating by using a liner with the 30 deg bag, wear more clothing to sleep(wool hat, gloves, long johns, base layers, etc.), sleep in an enclosed tent, and R a warm sleeper that could also work. I wouldn't be surprised for U to experience temps. in the teens if you R starting on Mar 28 NoBo. No, I don't think the 30 deg. bag by itself in a tent is going to keep U warm enough in Mar-Apr.