PDA

View Full Version : Seaon Ratings 1.2.3.4 Define?

Earthling
09-29-2008, 03:30
I was just chatting to someone about the seasons and their ratings and what they stand for. Did a google and wiki and nothing.
Has anybody got a link of what each season rating is?
As in 1 season, 2 season, 3 season and 4 season.
I have a general idea, as Im sure most of us do, but I dont have anything definet.
The main for me is 3 season and 4 season.

Earthling
09-29-2008, 05:03
Also is their an actual difference between USA, Europe, N.Zealand, Australia ratings?

George
09-29-2008, 06:05
4 season is a winter tent ,strong poles, large vestabules 3 seasons is general use, for sleeping bags nothing is good for both warm weather and extreme cold

rafe
09-29-2008, 08:26
"3 season" generally means: spring, summer, fall, but not winter. "4-season" includes winter.

Just Jeff
09-29-2008, 09:51
I don't think I've ever seen anything sold as a 2-season, but that would include end of spring and beginning of fall in my book. Kinda like a one and two halves season... :D

berninbush
09-29-2008, 14:32
I have a "1-season" air mattress (meant for summer) but here in Texas it pretty much works year-round!

Earthling
09-29-2008, 16:46
Thanks for the replies guys.
So a 4 season winter tent would withstand a good size snow fall and very strong winds. Whilst a 3 season may handle light snow falls at best and wind would depend on the design, yes?

The reason I ask this is because some people say 3 season gear is good for Tasmania and others say 4 season is a must. I was hoping to get some sort of definition that would sort it out for me.
I have a feeling both could be right.
From the sounds of it in the snow, 4 season is the go. Whilst out of large snow fall risk areas, 3 season. In Tasmania temps are never as low as US/Canada/Europe winters. I understand -8c is very rare, with more lows around -4-5c. Wind is a factor with very strong winds occuring throughout the year.
Ive bought a Contrail Tarptent and want to work out its limits before I head off into Tasmania's conditions.

Summit
09-29-2008, 16:47
Unless you want and can afford 3 sleeping bags (summer, 3-season, 4-season), I think most folks opt for a 20* bag as a versatile single solution. I drape mine over me in warmer weather.

If you plan to do some extreme cold camping, get a -10 or thereabouts bag. Another option some folks go with is to add a liner to your main bag which can effectively lower its temp rating by 10-15 degrees. The problem I have with that solution is mummies are tight as it is, and inserting a liner makes it worse. Some things to think about! :)

Earthling
09-29-2008, 17:30
Unless you want and can afford 3 sleeping bags (summer, 3-season, 4-season), I think most folks opt for a 20* bag as a versatile single solution. I drape mine over me in warmer weather.

If you plan to do some extreme cold camping, get a -10 or thereabouts bag. Another option some folks go with is to add a liner to your main bag which can effectively lower its temp rating by 10-15 degrees. The problem I have with that solution is mummies are tight as it is, and inserting a liner makes it worse. Some things to think about! :)

I was nearly going to buy a WM Badger, however I was reading that a bivibag is a good idea in windy areas (Tasmania most of the time) when using a contrail, which would I imagine bring the temp rating even lower. But how much lower? As you would have no windchill factor in the bag and it would trap heat between the sleeping bag and the bivibag...ya?
Oh and those temps you said are farenheit I presume? Mine were celcius....I keep forgetting to convert....
Read: coldest in Tasmania (Australia) is 15F, but generally 25F is a cold night.

Jim Adams
09-29-2008, 18:39
Usually 4 season tents not only have better quality therefore stronger poles, they also have more of them. A good quality 3 season tent can be guyed tight enough to withstand most wind but the 4 season handles far heftier snow loads. Typically due to more fabric, bigger vestibules, more poles and more doors / features a 4 season tent is also "hotter" and heavier.
I have a 50*F, 40*F, 32*F, 0*f and -40*F sleeping bags and yes it is nice to carry the extremely light ones in warm weather but I have found that my highest quality bag and therefore the lightest for it's rating is my 0*F. As a result, I spend very few nights per year in the high temp bags and usually 6-8 months of the year I just take the 0* and use it as a quilt unless it is actually cold enough to "mummy-up".
The -40*F stays in my van just in case I can't make it home for any reason.

If 25*F is your average cold night, a small 3 season tent and a 20*F bag should never let you down as most tents, even a 3 season if closed up will be about 10*F warmer inside overnight just from body heat.

Good luck.

geek

Summit
09-29-2008, 21:27
I agree with Jim. A 20* bag should do you well and if you start feeling a little cold, just add a layer of clothes - long underwear or waterproof rain pants and fleece jacket on those rare 15*F nights! Then again, if wind is blowing through the bag, a wind proof bivy bag might be a good solution too.

taildragger
09-29-2008, 21:33
3 season is generally the most versatile of gear considering that "4 season" is really only 2 season gear (early spring, late fall, winter). I wouldn't use a 4 season tent other than those times, or alpine camping (which can be the 4th season any damn day that it feels like it).

Lastly, 1 season gear (i.e. summer gear) is very nice, specially in the south. I can use my 50*F mummy most of fall and spring in OK, definitely too hot for the summer though.