PDA

View Full Version : Favorite FBC.com recipe?

TFin04
09-29-2008, 12:50
Well the weather is getting to the point that a hearty warm meal on the trail is a wonderful thing.

I am looking to expand my trail cooking past ramen and lipton sides.

I am looking for suggestions on your favorite recipe from FBC. Anything with rice, pasta, beef, chicken, shrimp, etc please let me know what you like.

I use a mini trangia and have the ability to boil water and stir fry veggies and meat.

Any recommendations are welcome!

bigcranky
09-29-2008, 16:18
I like a mix of instant refried beans and instant veggie "taco filling." Add boiling water and cozy for ten minutes. Also stick a few small flour tortillas in the cozy to warm up. When ready, pull out a tortilla, snip a corner of the bag, and squeeze some filling into it. Add some grated cheese or a cheese stick, some salsa, and enjoy.

Also works with instant rice instead of the tace filling.

shoe
09-29-2008, 16:42
I really really like the Cheesy Chicken Soup
(I think that's the name...I don't have my book handy.)
It's a rice based dish. I love rice.

The recipe is in the book.
I don't feel comfortable giving the recipe here on the forums since this is how Sabar makes money.

I look forward to seeing all the other replies.

bigcranky
09-29-2008, 19:16
Oops, I see you want specific recipes from Sarbar's FBC website. Well, my lovely wife Dragonfly has her granola recipe there, so I pretty much have to vote for that :)

sarbar
09-29-2008, 23:02
It is ok! I don't mind if you post it :)

sarbar
09-29-2008, 23:04
One of my favorite recipes over the years. You can use any type of pesto dry mix if you cannot find the Knorr one:

Red Bell Pesto Veggie Pasta(Vegetarian):

At home:
Split a packet of KnorrŪ Red Bell Pepper Pesto Mix into 4 portions. I used craft bags for this. 1 bag per meal.

In a quart freezer bag put:
4 ounces cooked and dehydrated pasta (weight after drying)
1/4 cup freeze dried vegetables
(I also added a couple Tbsp of home dried thinly chopped mushrooms to my bag)

Also take:
4 or so packets of Parmesan cheese (or up to 1/4 cup of shelf stable cheese)
1 packet olive oil (1 Tbsp)

Cover pasta & vegetables with boiling water. Push out air, seal well and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Open bag and if any left over water, drain off most of it, leaving a bit behind. Add in oil, pesto mix and mix well. Top with cheese, stir again and enjoy.

Each bag serves 1. Using 1/4 of the pesto pack per meal gives good flavor without being too strong.
Would work well with chicken or dried hamburger added, if desired.

sarbar
09-29-2008, 23:05
Another favorite of mine - you could also use the Idahoan brand flavored potatoes in this recipe as well for more flavor.

Spinach Bacon Two Cheese Mashed Potatoes:
In a quart freezer bag put:
3/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
2 Tbsp dry milk
1 Tbsp shelf stable bacon or bacon bits
1 Tbsp shelf stable Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp spinach flakes
1/4 tsp dried garlic flakes
black pepper to taste

Also take:
1 ounce cheddar cheese

Add 1 1/4 cups near boiling water, stirring well. Dice up the cheddar cheese and stir in. Put in a cozy for 5 minutes. Stir again.

Serves 1-2 depending on appetite and what meal it is for. The recipe makes a huge dinner's worth, but would work for 2 at lunch or as a side dish.

Notes: The spinach flakes rehydrate almost instantly and are very good tasting. For carrying cheddar cheese, check out the cheddar sticks that are sold next to the string cheese at your grocery store. Each one is individually packaged and has a shelf life of a couple days when backpacking (it will get soft and oily, but it is edible.)

shoe
09-29-2008, 23:55
I'll post it tomorrow as soon as I hunt down my book :)
It's really yummy.