PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk SHOES

Newb
09-29-2008, 15:57
Ok, my Vasque Mantras have officially passed to the hiking shoe afterlife (RIP). I loved them, never had a blister with them, etc. Only drawback with them was there wasn't enough of a heal that I could wear gaiters (the strap got chewed up under the shoe).

So, I went shoe shopping. I want a nice low trail-runner (I'm done with boots, too heavy, let's not argue about it).

I tried on the Vasque Breeze-Lows and think they're ok, but not really enough support and i'm worried they may let my feet get wet.

Any suggestions on a great shoe I may not know about?

Phreak
09-29-2008, 15:58
Salomon XA Pro XCR

Blissful
09-29-2008, 16:09
Montrail Hardrocks have gotten good reviews and are cheap right now online (the old style). Got some for my son and hubby. I love my Brooks Adrenaline ASR for me.

As for feet getting wet - that's kind of par for the course on the AT. But mine dried quick anyway. :)

Shmuel
09-29-2008, 16:13
Has anyone used Patagonia shoes? Would you share your opinion about them for long distance hiking?

Slosteppin
09-29-2008, 16:32
I've been hiking in Teva Wraptor Shield eVent trail runners for over 6 months now. They have been very comfortable hiking shoes and mostly water proof. The soles provide a good grip for me.

Slosteppin

Quoddy
09-29-2008, 16:33
I've been using several models in the Inov-8 (http://www.inov-8.com/Products.asp?PG=PG1&L=27) line for several years. I particularly like the Terroc 330's. Very, very lightweight and lots of traction. Dry quickly when wet.

Summit
09-29-2008, 17:05
I've been hiking in Teva Wraptor Shield eVent trail runners for over 6 months now. They have been very comfortable hiking shoes and mostly water proof. The soles provide a good grip for me.

SlosteppinThat's a very interesting looking shoe/design! Looks like the tension straps would insure against your feet sliding forward on downhills and bruising toenails (something I've experienced a lot). Thanks for the tip, and now for a link:

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=337&productID=6937&model=Wraptor+Stability+Event&cid=ggl_ppc&utm_source=ggl&utm_medium=ppc&s_kwcid=teva%20wraptor%20event|1429482061

mark schofield
09-29-2008, 17:06
I tried a pair of 08 Montrail Hardrock trail runners (low cut) for two weeks on the Long Trail. Three rainy days, and the remainderof the trip was wet on the trail. The shoes (for me) had good traction and support, and dried quickly if the trail was dry. I wanted something that would dry quickly when the weather permitted. Mark S.

slow
09-29-2008, 18:04
I've been using several models in the Inov-8 (http://www.inov-8.com/Products.asp?PG=PG1&L=27) line for several years. I particularly like the Terroc 330's. Very, very lightweight and lots of traction. Dry quickly when wet.

Great product.Just got two more pair of the 280,310 to replace my old ones.

2Thumbs
09-30-2008, 07:05
I'll second the Inov-8 330's...a great shoe.

Newb
09-30-2008, 08:09
I tried a pair of 08 Montrail Hardrock trail runners (low cut) for two weeks on the Long Trail. Three rainy days, and the remainderof the trip was wet on the trail. The shoes (for me) had good traction and support, and dried quickly if the trail was dry. I wanted something that would dry quickly when the weather permitted. Mark S.

Did you use gaiters at all?