PDA

View Full Version : Ice Age Trail in Google Earth

Mr. Parkay
09-29-2008, 21:16
Hey Guys,

The I've just created a google earth file for existing sections of the Ice Age Trail. The file was created by converting the Wisconsin DNR's GIS centerline into google earth kmz format, so it doesn't contain any original work by me. I've read the download/usage agreement for the original GIS data, and I believe posting the google earth file is full compliance, since I have made appropriate citations.

Anyhow, the data might be significantly outdated, sinch the metadata in the original gis file says the creation date is from 1999. I'm not sure about that though.

Here's the link to the GE forum where I've posted the file: Link (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/1240496/page/0/vc/1)

--Mr. Parkay

IceAge
10-01-2008, 18:00
Mr. Parkay, I am not exaggerating when I say that you are the greatest human being on this planet!

khanti
10-02-2008, 20:01
VERY cool. Thank You!!

khanti
10-02-2008, 20:08
It does seem out of date, though. One of my favorite sections, the Chequamegon section in Taylor county from Hwy 64 to the Mondeaux flowage, is missing.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2008, 20:29
great job, I observed the KML but it is in two pieces at 300 ave. (large gap)

Mr. Parkay
10-02-2008, 20:37
great job, I observed the KML but it is in two pieces at 300 ave. (large gap)

Yeah, the track has tons of missing pieces... so I quess it only includes sections that are considered finished trail (although I'm not sure about that). It would be cool to fill in the blanks with "suggested" road walk routes.

Bearpaw88
10-31-2008, 15:49
How wonderful.... I miss the Ice Age Trail!! It is wonderful and the people that maintain it are wonderful. Thanks Mr. Parkay :banana

Bearpaw88
10-31-2008, 15:52
There are several sections missing. If this is from 1999... they build a few new miles every year. A new guide book came out this year www.iceagetrail.org (http://www.iceagetrail.org) you can get it through the website

turtle fast
11-02-2008, 15:33
It will be nice to see the entire trail when completed. The folks at the IAPTF are doing a good job. Nice to see Monty the mastadon as your icon Ice Age!!!

samh
12-19-2008, 17:23
Thank you or this data, Mr Parkay.

mkmangold
12-19-2008, 19:55
How wonderful.... I miss the Ice Age Trail!! It is wonderful and the people that maintain it are wonderful. Thanks Mr. Parkay :banana

I mirror that sentiment, Mr. Parkay. Good job!

Bearpaw: you don't have to miss the trail. I'm sure my sons and I and maybe even Ice Age would be happy to hit the trail with you some weekend.

puddingboy
03-12-2009, 19:43
Is any one else having trouble opening this?

Mr. Parkay
03-12-2009, 22:10
Is any one else having trouble opening this?

I just clicked on the file... and it seems to be working normally as far as I can tell.

puddingboy
03-14-2009, 22:45
I just clicked on the file... and it seems to be working normally as far as I can tell.

Well, I clicked on the file, then an open thing popped up and I clicked on that, then a save thing popped up and I clicked on that, then It repeated with the open/save file popups until I gave up.

mkmangold
03-14-2009, 23:26
Well, I clicked on the file, then an open thing popped up and I clicked on that, then a save thing popped up and I clicked on that, then It repeated with the open/save file popups until I gave up.

I'll try and PM you with the file. Check your mail.

mkmangold
10-31-2010, 13:39
Hey Guys,

The I've just created a google earth file for existing sections of the Ice Age Trail. The file was created by converting the Wisconsin DNR's GIS centerline into google earth kmz format, so it doesn't contain any original work by me...

I still use your creation often. Any updates available yet? :sun

IceAge
11-11-2010, 11:19
Hey Mike!

I think that the original poster got the data from the WI DNR GIS website.

If you download GPS Babel or similar you may be able to convert it to a .kml file for Google Earth.

This assumes that the DNR has updated their GIS info since the original post.

I would do it but I don't get much time in front of a computer these days