PDA

View Full Version : Bush Buddy/Hobo Stoves

flyefysch
09-29-2008, 21:48
Hi All,

I've heard about and have been checking out the Bush Buddy stove and a similar type of "hobo stove" that you can buy (or make from plans) at trailgear.org. Any thought/feedback/experience with these stoves or similar models? I have a pepsi can stove which I made and love, but was thinking about branching out a bit and trying something new. Thanks for any guidance.

-flyefysch

take-a-knee
09-29-2008, 22:40
Well, all the hype about the Bush Buddy is true, it works as advertised, but it is a handmade work of art, and as such, it ain't cheap. You can make hobo stoves that work, hobos have been making them as long as there have been cans, but the cans are high-carbon steel, and will quickly rust and burn out. The only cheap idea I've heard of is to use a stainless steel flour sifter from Walmart to make a hobo stove, not as efficient or elegant as the Bushbuddy, but a lot cheaper. I have yet to try that myself.

The Bushbuddy's only downside is that it burns its fuel rather quickly, to get a quick boil it has to be constantly tended, you can't do camp chores while it boils, it'll go out or nearly so. It uses an astonishingly small amount of finger-sized fuel. This summer I'd find a small dead conifer along side the trail and break several branches off and tuck them under the top flap of my pack, gathering fuel may have consumed two minutes per day. Under wet conditions however, you would have to carry a knife large enough to be able to baton (split) wood to get to something dry enough to get a burn going.

Bob S
09-29-2008, 23:06
Under wet conditions however, you would have to carry a knife large enough to be able to baton (split) wood to get to something dry enough to get a burn going.

A great way (and quite lightweight) way to get dry wood from wet wood for starting a fire is to take a pencil sharpener. Even wet wood is dry on the inside. All you have to do to get dry starting wood is to run some pencil sized sticks through the pencil sharpener. It will give you a lot of good starting tinder. Once a fire is started it’s easy to get wet twigs started burning.

take-a-knee
09-29-2008, 23:10
A great way (and quite lightweight) way to get dry wood from wet wood for starting a fire is to take a pencil sharpener. Even wet wood is dry on the inside. All you have to do to get dry starting wood is to run some pencil sized sticks through the pencil sharpener. It will give you a lot of good starting tinder. Once a fire is started it’s easy to get wet twigs started burning.

Never heard that one before, now that is slick, and REALLY light.

rafe
09-29-2008, 23:11

Or collect birch bark as you walk along. Doesn't weigh very much. Just one of those things you learn when you travel with a Zip stove.

take-a-knee
09-29-2008, 23:24
Or collect birch bark as you walk along. Doesn't weigh very much. Just one of those things you learn when you travel with a Zip stove.

Excellent point, even down south there are birch trees but they don't have the gray/white bark of the ones up north, they are about the same color as the bark of a cherry tree.

Bob S
09-29-2008, 23:38
Try out a hobo stove on a short weekend trip before you jump in and buy an expensive wood stove. Wood stoves generate a lot of black soot, it gets on your cooking pan, you and to some part your clothes. Some people may find this drawback more of a negative then a wood stoves positives. Alcohol by comparison are clean burning.

Wood stoves can put out a terrific amount of heat, I have a homemade forced air wood stove that puts out an unbelievable amount of heat. With the fan on high it’s too much heat to cook food with, but great for boiling water very fast.

If you want to buy a stainless wood stove and don’t want to spend a lot of money here is a stove to look at. It’s made from stainless steel, it is also able to be used with an alcohol burner by turning it upside down and placing your alcohol burner in it.

http://www.trailstove.com/ (http://www.trailstove.com/)

take-a-knee
09-29-2008, 23:56
A Bushbuddy will soot your pot, but, like the chimney sweep in Mary Poppins said, "It's good, clean soot". The stove itself burns so hot there is never any soot to speak of on it. The Trek 900 pot the Bushbuddy is designed to fit inside comes with a mess bag that keeps the soot off of other items in your pack.

oops56
09-30-2008, 00:02
Yep i made a fire kit thatpencil sharper has two hols big and small the chap stick got petroleum jelly in it to use one the cotton balls it all fits the round altoids can

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/th_aflint-1.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/aflint-1.jpg)

Bob S
09-30-2008, 00:24
The problem with the pencil sharpener is to find a good one. I went to Office Max and several department stores and they all were very low quality junk that would (and did) easily break. They are made out of a very brittle plastic.

I finally found a good quality one at an upper end craft store, it’s made from better plastic that is much more resistant to breakage. And not brittle junk..

The good one is made by Bostitch / Stanley (mod # PS1HS) it has a chamber to hold the shavings so they don’t dump all over. You can even shave the wood ahead of time, leave it inside and have it ready to go.

oops56
09-30-2008, 00:51
The problem with the pencil sharpener is to find a good one. I went to Office Max and several department stores and they all were very low quality junk that would (and did) easily break. They are made out of a very brittle plastic.

I finally found a good quality one at an upper end craft store, it’s made from better plastic that is much more resistant to breakage. And not brittle junk..

The good one is made by Bostitch / Stanley (mod # PS1HS) it has a chamber to hold the shavings so they don’t dump all over. You can even shave the wood ahead of time, leave it inside and have it ready to go.
Wel yep mine are cheap also so i got all they had 20 or so:D

Newb
09-30-2008, 11:12
I have a trailstove that i've gone out and played with a bit. Heres' my thoughts:

1) I haven't needed the plastic tube to keep the fire going, so I ditched it.
2) It's heavy, and bulky.
3) It's messy, You will get soot droppings so make sure you have a good bag for it. Also, it will blacken your pot .
4)I'm very lazy, so tending the fire / collecting fuel is a bit of a hindrance for me, and I had it out in the rain one day and you can't just fire it up in a shelter like you can an alcohol stove.

PROS:
- It works great, don't get me wrong. Great, hot flame and endless cooking time.
- You'll never lack for fuel.
- Cool factor, and warm hands. You can set it up in front of your tent and play with fire all night if you want. :)

rafe
09-30-2008, 12:50
One unique feature/advantage of hobo/wood stoves is having your own, miniature, personal campfire. In the right circumstances, you can even use the thing inside a shelter. It's just a matter of gathering the fuel, starting it up, and keeping it stoked. I remember using my Zip stove in this manner after a soggy morning walking thru rain. But when all's said and done, wood-burners are still dirty, heavy and "high-touch." More of a camper's stove than a hiker's stove, as Bob S. has noted.

Wags
10-01-2008, 00:14
i really like the pencil sharpener idea! i have a few metal ones left over from art class that are indestructible. thanks bob s

NICKTHEGREEK
10-01-2008, 06:15
Sycamore bark is another.

Two Speed
10-01-2008, 08:56
A great way (and quite lightweight) way to get dry wood from wet wood for starting a fire is to take a pencil sharpener <snip>
Never heard that one before, now that is slick, and REALLY light.Damn, why didn't I think of that? :datz

i really like the pencil sharpener idea! i have a few metal ones left over from art class that are indestructible. thanks bob sYep, seen 'em. IIRC they have replaceable blades, too.

Gotta get one now. :D

rafe
10-01-2008, 09:06
Pencil sharpener? Don't most hikers carry a small knife?

Two Speed
10-01-2008, 09:09
Sure, but the sharpener will turn out a pile of fine shavings fast.

Yeah, there is somewhat of a "gee-whiz" factor in that concept, but ya gotta admit it's creative.