PDA

View Full Version : Double Rainbow Tarptent ?

2009ThruHiker
09-30-2008, 09:05
I am considering the extra 4 ounces of weight for the liner you can add inside the double rainbow tarptent that will help with warmth, and sun blockage in summer...and I'm hoping condensation. I've read a bit about single walled tents with two people in rain and the condensation issues.
Has anyone used the double rainbow with the liner and how has it performed in relation to condensation specifically? Thanks a bunch for helping me out in this choice.
5 months, 29 days...:D

Berserker
09-30-2008, 14:13
I have a Double Rainbow and the liner. The liner works well as a barrier between the user and the ceiling of the tent, which is where the condensation the forms. The only issue with the liner is that if enough condensation forms to where it drips onto the liner, it will run down the liner and drip onto the tent floor as the ends of the liner do not hang out past the tent floor.

2009ThruHiker
09-30-2008, 14:56
I have a Double Rainbow and the liner. The liner works well as a barrier between the user and the ceiling of the tent, which is where the condensation the forms. The only issue with the liner is that if enough condensation forms to where it drips onto the liner, it will run down the liner and drip onto the tent floor as the ends of the liner do not hang out past the tent floor.

are u saying if too much condensation forms on the liner, then it comes dripping down? Or is it that any condensation that drips onto the liner makes it's way down to the floor?
Also, I'm a bit unclear here, so forgive me, and also thanks for answering my question.... does the liner itself collect any condensation as well?

thanks again !

Sailor (The other one)
10-01-2008, 05:03
My wife and I have used a DR with the liner for over a year now, for a week on the AT in Georgia last October and several one and two night trips in the fall-winter-spring in Florida. We had zero condensation issues, at least in part, I think, because of the excellent ventilation with all that mesh. We spent 24 hours in it sitting out a rain storm with no condensation, nights down to the 40s with no condensation.

Berserker
10-01-2008, 13:52
are u saying if too much condensation forms on the liner, then it comes dripping down? Or is it that any condensation that drips onto the liner makes it's way down to the floor?
Also, I'm a bit unclear here, so forgive me, and also thanks for answering my question.... does the liner itself collect any condensation as well?

thanks again !

I often get condensation when using the Double Rainbow...it is just part of hiking in the SE (I also get condensation in all my other tents...Squall and Akto). The amount of condensation depends on the weather, but typically it is just a light film. Under these conditions the light film develops on the inside wall of the tent, and the liner will stay dry. So there won't be any dripping from the liner onto the floor under "normal" conditions.

One of the times I did get dripping was under very heavy condensation where the condensation got to the point that it was rolling down the sides of the tent (if that makes any sense), and dripping unto the liner (unto the side facing the tent ceiling). Another situation where this might occur (I haven't been in it yet) would be under heavy rain where the sil-nylon starts misting.

So to directly answer your question (I beat around the bush there) the liner is probably going to stay dry most of the time, and you would likely only have to deal with the dripping issue under heavy rain or in a situation where very heavy condensation forms (such as a snow melt...that's what was going on when I had it happen).

Just for your info, I primarily bought the liner because of the misting issue. I have had that happen in my Squall, and I would rather have to deal with a couple of small puddles than water misting all over me all night. So if the weather forecast is for heavy prolonged rain, then I'll be using the DR with the liner.

2009ThruHiker
10-01-2008, 15:43
My wife and I have used a DR with the liner for over a year now, for a week on the AT in Georgia last October and several one and two night trips in the fall-winter-spring in Florida. We had zero condensation issues, at least in part, I think, because of the excellent ventilation with all that mesh. We spent 24 hours in it sitting out a rain storm with no condensation, nights down to the 40s with no condensation.

Have you felt the liner to be the decisive factor in the "no condensation" ?

SoulSista
10-01-2008, 19:39
I have a Double Rainbow also and have used it in alot of humid type conditions, with the liner. It definitely keeps the condensation off my face. I've had mine out in temps down into the 20s and 30s where condensation can indeed become an issue. I tend to use mine as a solo tent, and bring my gear inside, closing it up tight when the temps drop, and leaving it open if they are warmer, of course. But, I have had it out with my 6 foot 3 hubby along and it sleeps him comfortably too. Plenty long enough for even the taller hikers. Nice! Thanks Henry!

Whether or not I use the liner depends on the conditions I feel I will be facing on my trip. It's definitely worth the 4 oz or so to take it along, if you feel you need it. The liner, in my own experiences with this tent, helps keep the tent a bit cooler in the early mornings, if one wants to sleep in a bit, and a bit warmer as one sleeps through the nite, much like a double walled tent, without all the extra weight.

Overall Henry makes some quality products and the DR is a great one in his line up. I absolutely love my DR.

Sailor (The other one)
10-02-2008, 05:52
Have you felt the liner to be the decisive factor in the "no condensation" ?

No. I think the decisive factor is the ventilation provided by the mesh. But I suggest the liner helps keep the moisture from our breath off of the tent wall, so I think the vetilation and mesh work well together. For an extra 4 oz, I would not hesitate to take the mesh.

2009ThruHiker
10-02-2008, 12:17
Good deal. thanks all. i'll be taking the liner on my thru...sounds worth the extra 4oz.

rpenczek
10-02-2008, 13:31
OK, I am late to the show here. I have a DR with the liner and have been in a driving rain storm where I had misting. The liner caught the mist and then the mist rolled down the liner to the ends of the tent (read very small puddle on the floor). Normally, I keep a camp towel in the tent with me to wipe up any condinsation just before I begin to move around, so the puddles are quickly soaked up by the towel.

I went from a double wall tent (about 5 lbs) to my DR and I think I will even use it in the winter (Indiana). The extra 4oz is woth it IMO.