PDA

View Full Version : Trail food - after the trail

TankHiker
03-17-2004, 16:17
When you're not on the trail, do you eat trail food (noodles, rice, granola bars, gorp, etc.)?

smokymtnsteve
03-17-2004, 16:35
when your not on the trail??

what ???

retread
03-18-2004, 00:25
I still eat oatmeal...ramean...pop tarts and Liptons. But it took a loooonnnngggg time before I could eat peanut butter again.

Blue Jay
03-18-2004, 08:51
Off the trail, I gag just thinking about pop tarts. Two days on the trail, I start to think, "damn I wish I had some pop tarts".

Jaybird
03-21-2004, 16:08
When you're not on the trail, do you eat trail food (noodles, rice, granola bars, gorp, etc.)?

Yo TankHiker:

off the trail...i still eat SNICKERS bars....other than that....my desire for anything dehydrated is quite LOW! :D

good luck with your hike.

Motor City Rambler
04-25-2004, 13:46
I don't eat it at home but when we hike it's mac & cheese, PBJ's and dehydrated spag. Always, unless we are out west then we catch and eat fish all the time.

Kerosene
04-26-2004, 09:16
I'll start eating oatmeal and hot chocolate after a few months, but I rarely touch ramen noodles or mac & cheese at home. I still like my tunafish though.

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 17:24
at home I still eat the organic rainbow veggies noddles ....the only change is instead of useing the POKE SALAD as the green I use swiss chard. so that dish is very popular at home.

the organic multi grain pancakes with the cranberries are also popular with my friends at home and of course the organic fair trade coffees are served at home.

and I do eat the black bean soup and sautted sun-dried tomatoes with the cilantro corn fritters at home all the time. YUM

so I guess it depends upon what food you make on the trail...I would never consider eating a pop tart or ramen noodle at home or on the trail unless I was starving.

the taboule with brook lettuce is served at home but I use the organic field mix lettuce (which I grow) instead of brook lettuce that I pick on the trail as the brook lettuce is not avaliable in town,,,,Hummus is also served at home,,,and chapatis are good on the trail or at home ..so there is not much difference in my diet at home or on the trail.

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 17:30
You do poke salad on the trail?

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 17:34
yes inthe spring ...you pick young poke salad and saute in olive oil and garlic or a few ramps....boil your rainbow sprial noodles in a small amount of water so that they cook but are not real wet...enough water that it all absorbs...then toss together the poke salad/ramps with the noodles and top with parmesean chesse (or the vegan variety) YUM YUM...very good along with a corn fritter since the frying pan is greasy and hot already from cooking the poke salad.

steve hiker
06-02-2004, 17:43
You do poke salad on the trail?
No but I poke sally.

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 17:56
Don't you have to boil the crap out of Poke leaves before eating them?

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 17:58
No..not if you only pick the young and tender tops...

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 18:00
Maybe you know how to make sassafrass tea too.

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 18:04
course I do...you use sassafras root to make the tea...it an ingredient in sasparilla..

SGT Rock
06-02-2004, 18:06
And root beer as well. You Vegans, I need to get one of y'all to fix the sides to my steak LOL.

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 18:19
if youare worried about the POKE SALAD..you can always use some young fiddleheads sauted in the olive oil garlic and combine them the noodles.

I suggest a onion corn fritter as the bread choice....

maybe for dessert a rehydrated poached pear with honey over a multi grain scone. perhaps followed with a night cap of warm cranberry flavored soy milk.

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 18:26
And root beer as well. You Vegans, I need to get one of y'all to fix the sides to my steak LOL.

I am not a total vegan ..I do eat fish..however no other flesh and no flesh of an warm blooded animal.

but I quite enjoy my corn chowder with cilantro salmon on the the trail.

and the tuna fish with grits, chives, olive oil and sundried tomaotes is tasty also..as a matter of fact I had it for breakfast at home this morning.(spice it up with a few red pepper flakes)

Ramble~On
06-03-2004, 03:22
To Chef or Not to Chef...That is the Question.

Hell Yeah I still eat trail food...Then again I try to be on a trail atleast once a week. One thing I learned on the AT is that my trail menu was lacking.
I am constantly trying new things and ideas.
All experiments are tested at home...cooked in the backyard on a trail stove...
I still haven't found the perfect tasting, lightest weight, nutritional, all around perfect meal...but I am still trying and have found some great trail food.
I dehydrate a lot....I buy bulk freeze dried stuff and I buy off the shelf grocery stuff. I am planning another thru and this time I'm gonna have to pay some serious postage for my maildrops....but I'm gonna eat like a king.
Ideally I don't want to have to cook anything for more than 7 minutes.

Pencil Pusher
06-03-2004, 05:29
Geez, I don't even cook that good at home. If anything, my cooking and eating provide for good trail training: oatmeal glop, bean glop, rice glop, angel hair pasta, instant spuds, stove top, etc.

hungryhowie
06-03-2004, 08:37
Smokymtnsteve,

Your trail-diet sounds very decadent...of course, now that I remember, you are the one that prefers a french coffee press to rainpants, correct? :-?

While we always eat well at home, I'm always torn between massive amounts of preparation, ingredient gathering and keeping it all straight on the trail, or using quick and easy, albeit not so tasty, premade meals on the trail.

How do you do it? If you were going to be thruhiking, could you prepare all of your meals in advance? How long would it take?

Would you mind sharing some of your trail recipes? I'd love to try some.

-Howie

retread
06-04-2004, 00:45
Smokymtnsteve....

Do you, by chance, hike in penny loafers?
With a cream colored cardigan draped over your shoulders?

SGT Rock
06-04-2004, 06:41
Hah! Steve wouldn't look a bit like that. Go to the photo part of the siote and do a search for Steve.

smokymtnsteve
06-04-2004, 08:43
Smokymtnsteve....

Do you, by chance, hike in penny loafers?
With a cream colored cardigan draped over your shoulders?

nope I wear light weight boots...and I have an ole 3 dollar dark blue polarted fleece pullover that I got a the thrift store. however I do have some lambswool pads on the shoulder straps of my pack.. they are cream colored.

so here a recipe

for breakfast make organic multi-grain pancake-scones..with cofffee

start your water boiling ...put coffee grounds in your press...while the water for the coffee is heating
mix cold water in your arrowhead mills multi-grain mix...put a little canola oil in your fry pan...now the water for your cofffee should be boiling, pour water into press with the grounds put in cozy.

start warming the oil in your fry pan when hot . drop in pancake mix. sprinkle a few cranberries on the top of the mix...when bubbles start to appear flip pancakes...have the lid for your pot ready to receive pancakes..reflip so the carnberies show and then place pancakes in your pot lid pot lid..start second batch...have your honey bottle out (and upside down if the weather is cool) put honey on pancakes and enjoy...press the plunger on your coffee press and then pour the coffee in your cup and enjoy...beware of the other hikers drool!

U-BOLT
07-06-2004, 02:45
drop in pancake mix. ...have your honey bottle out (and upside down if the weather is cool) put honey on pancakes and enjoy...
No maple syrup? I guess you've never been north of the Mason-Dixon line. You rebs don't know what you've been missing.

smokymtnsteve
07-06-2004, 09:54
I sometimes carry the dried maple nuggets.lighter than maple syrup or honey.

course the REAL southern mtn thang is SORGHUM SYRUP...my family used to boil down "soogum syrup" every fall when I was a kid.

Nightwalker
07-06-2004, 12:24
Smokymtnsteve,

Your trail-diet sounds very decadent...of course, now that I remember, you are the one that prefers a french coffee press to rainpants, correct? :-?

-Howie

I have a Lexan french press that I'll give to anyone who'll send me a couple of bucks for postage. I've been taken off of coffee by my mean old doctor. (but the headaches are easing!)

Frank

MOWGLI
07-06-2004, 17:13
I've been taken off of coffee by my mean old doctor. (but the headaches are easing!)

Frank

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better Frank!

Little Bear

lostjohn
07-06-2004, 22:12
Please tell me more about this cranberry flavored soy milk. Also do you use dry soy?

thks

smokymtnsteve
07-07-2004, 00:09
i get soy milk powder from my local food co-op (sevananda)

I mix the soymilk powder in cold water and then heat to a boil add honey and a steep your favorite flavor of herb tea bag... simple and tasty.

I use the Celestial seasonings "cranberry cove" teabags

Panzer1
12-24-2005, 18:26
Off the trail, I gag just thinking about pop tarts. Two days on the trail, I start to think, "damn I wish I had some pop tarts".
I heard they are going to make Pop Tarts more nutritious by reducing artery clogging trans fats that they have been using. They will now use soybean oil starting in early 2006.

here's the link:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/09/news/fortune500/kellogg.reut/

Panzer

Uncle Silly
12-24-2005, 18:52
i had to lay off the poptarts for a while, but oatmeal was still a breakfast option. of course bacon & eggs were easier to come by off the trail!

i did discover tortellini on the trail ... at home i mix in sauteed veggies instead of tuna packets, yumyumyum.

kyhipo
12-24-2005, 21:12
I am not a total vegan ..I do eat fish..however no other flesh and no flesh of an warm blooded animal.

but I quite enjoy my corn chowder with cilantro salmon on the the trail.

and the tuna fish with grits, chives, olive oil and sundried tomaotes is tasty also..as a matter of fact I had it for breakfast at home this morning.(spice it up with a few red pepper flakes)Man o man sounds like you know how to eat my friend!ever ate any of those famous gooie ducks those huge clams on the ocean,do you eat seafood?ky

Burn
12-25-2005, 08:40
i've grown fond of zaterans red beans and rice and/or black beans and rice. i used uncle bens on trail but got tired of them after a bit.

sleepwalker
01-23-2006, 22:39
It's insane how I look at things at the grocery store before a hike. I'm a madman...going from aisle to aisle looking for envelopes and anything small. If I find a potential target I examine the instructions to make sure it requires no more than 3 cups of water, etc...

When I come home, no way am I doing that. I don't even go to the grocery store, I go to the butcher and spend a weeks pay on steaks. NO, no I reserve some money for liquor and condomns. Not a single thought of granola on my mind.

Seeker
01-24-2006, 14:57
disclaimer-haven't thru-hiked (yet) but...

my 'normal' day involves 2 packages of apple/cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast (every day), and a ramen with dehydrated venison for lunch (m-f anyway). dinner is my only variation. must be my personality... i like a routine... once ate the same flavor of MRE almost 3 meals a day for 6 weeks... guess i'm lucky... i eat to live... others live to eat...