PDA

View Full Version : Allen Gap - Tennessee/NC

billy231
09-30-2008, 10:08
One trail book indicates that a grocery store is located close to the trailhead on road TN70 at Allen Gap. Does anyone know the name of the store and if this is a good resupply point?

little bear
09-30-2008, 10:17
they are talking about Hemlock Hollow Farm. They have an Ok resupply there. They have a nice bunk house with hot showers and sell some frozen food that you could heat up in there microwave, and eat there. they do sell the liptons and other things like that. they are 0.7 miles off the trail down a dirt road. there is a sign that tells you where to go.

Lone Wolf
09-30-2008, 10:21
One trail book indicates that a grocery store is located close to the trailhead on road TN70 at Allen Gap. Does anyone know the name of the store and if this is a good resupply point?

the store there is closed. has been for many years

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 10:23
the store there is closed. has been for many years

True that.

Tennessee Viking
09-30-2008, 12:36
The only thing at Allen Gap now is a roadside bar.

Plan on stopping by Hemlock, the Bald Mountains (Hot Springs to about Devils Fork Gap) have become extremely dry. Flint Mtn Shelter has the only ok source in last few weeks.

billy231
09-30-2008, 13:16
Thanks!

chelko
09-30-2008, 13:21
Is there any parking at Allen Gap?

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 13:23
Is there any parking at Allen Gap?

Yes, on the east side. It's kinda hard to spot. You might pass it a coupla times.

chelko
09-30-2008, 13:25
How far from where the trail crosses the road?

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 13:40
The trail crosses the road just north of the stateline. If you start going downhill you missed it. The parking area is right where the trail crosses.

Jim Obermeyer
09-30-2008, 21:35
The only thing at Allen Gap now is a roadside bar.

Plan on stopping by Hemlock, the Bald Mountains (Hot Springs to about Devils Fork Gap) have become extremely dry. Flint Mtn Shelter has the only ok source in last few weeks.

Where is the roadside bar at Allen Gap?

Kirby
09-30-2008, 21:36
I got religious trail magic there this year, really nice people though.

Kirby

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 21:42
I got religious trail magic there this year, really nice people though.

Kirby

Not at the bar I assume.

BTW, the bar is north of AG.

Jack Tarlin
09-30-2008, 21:58
Just outta curiousity, Billy, what Trail guide are you using and how old is it?

The Allen Gap store has indeed been closed for many years.

Tennessee Viking
09-30-2008, 23:34
Where is the roadside bar at Allen Gap?
It may really be just another Beer Wash type store. But it was over in NC within a mile or so down NC 208 from the old store. It didn't look too inviting. But it had Bud signs all over it.

Once you pass the church at the corner of Viking Mountain Road, the trail is just past that. Its well covered in the trees. It drove past it 3 times finding it. There will be a Cherokee Forest sign a bit hidden, then the old store with a gated forest road next to it. There is a small area to park at the Cherokee sign.

You can follow the forest road for .1 to the trail and a campsite.

Jim Obermeyer
10-01-2008, 04:14
It may really be just another Beer Wash type store. But it was over in NC within a mile or so down NC 208 from the old store. It didn't look too inviting. But it had Bud signs all over it.

Once you pass the church at the corner of Viking Mountain Road, the trail is just past that. Its well covered in the trees. It drove past it 3 times finding it. There will be a Cherokee Forest sign a bit hidden, then the old store with a gated forest road next to it. There is a small area to park at the Cherokee sign.

You can follow the forest road for .1 to the trail and a campsite.

I know where the trail is at Allen Gap. I live in Rogersville and it's about the closest access by car for me. The only bar I remember is on the TN side about a mile before Viking Mt. Rd. it use to be called the Mountain Top. I'm not sure it's still open but take my advice if you ever plan on stopping in...bring your gun!
I've parked in the parking lot at that old store at Allen Gap, no one seems to mind, but I gererally drive up Viking Mt Rd and park at the top where that old resort use to be. I've never had any problems at either place.

Gray Blazer
10-01-2008, 07:57
The only bar I remember is on the TN side about a mile before Viking Mt. Rd. it use to be called the Mountain Top. I'm not sure it's still open but take my advice if you ever plan on stopping in...bring your gun!

Yeah, I heard they check you at the door and if you don't have a gun they give you one.

What I didn't like about the looks of that bar is that there was only one door(in front anyways) and no windows. Kinda hard to get out of real fast.

Play Me Some Fidddle-Charlie Daniels

Kirby
10-01-2008, 20:14
Not at the bar I assume.

BTW, the bar is north of AG.

Nah, Hercules and his wife, whom I forget the name of. Really nice couple. Did not agree with a word they said.

Kirby

Tennessee Viking
10-02-2008, 00:05
I know where the trail is at Allen Gap. I live in Rogersville and it's about the closest access by car for me. The only bar I remember is on the TN side about a mile before Viking Mt. Rd. it use to be called the Mountain Top. I'm not sure it's still open but take my advice if you ever plan on stopping in...bring your gun!
I've parked in the parking lot at that old store at Allen Gap, no one seems to mind, but I gererally drive up Viking Mt Rd and park at the top where that old resort use to be. I've never had any problems at either place.
Thinking now, your right.