PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pain

Swiss Roll
09-30-2008, 12:24
I have always found this forum helpful as you guys have experienced just about everything on the trail. I recently completed the High Sierra Trail. On day 3, I started having pain in my Achilles. Never had blisters before in this area, but checked for them anyway, no visible sign of them. I was wearing Montrail Namaches. I figured that that the shoes were digging into the achilles, causing inflamation and pain. On day 5, the pain was so intense upon putting on the shoes, that I cut a notch in the back. This fix seemed to help but the pain persisted to a lesser degree throughout the next 4 days. By the time I finished the trail on day 7, which included a summit of Mt. Whitney, 16 miles, and a 6500ft. drop, the pain was strong enough for me to throw the shoes in the nearest trash can. My main question is this; have you ever had achilles specific pain? Was it a result of bad shoes, or just tender, newbie feet? Did it go away upon removing the shoes, as mine did? One week after finishing the hike, I still have the knife-like pain when I press the area, but very little pain otherwise. I still have to wear open-back sandals. Thanks for your input, everyone, I appreciate your thougts. By the way, here is my trail journals address for the hike.

www.trailjournals.com/swissroll (http://www.trailjournals.com/swissroll)

earlylight
09-30-2008, 12:40
Sounds like you have plantar fasciitis (http://sectionhiker.com/2008/01/31/plantar_fasciitis_hiker/). I've had it too.

superman
09-30-2008, 13:56
Let me tell you a saga. When I finished the AT in 2000 I had the common post at foot problems. These normally go away in about a month but the time varies. I hadn't had any foot, ankle or knee problems while hiking. After my hike I was in very good condition and I wanted to keep it so I started running. I had foot pain but I decided to ignore it in hopes that it would go away. It didn't and it got worse. I went to a foot doctor at the nearest veteran hospital. I saw him every 6 months and he'd give me shoe inserts and lots of vitamin I. Years went by but the foot pain didn't. I varied from hobbled to just painful. I participated in a couple threads on WB. Some folks gave me some super good advice but I kept thinking that a foot doctor should know best. I guess I was incredibly obtuse about that. Finally, last fall I saw the VA foot doctor. So I'm pointing out to him how long this has dragged on to which he said "well, the problem with your feet is that you have PTSD in them." So I asked him to repeat that as I watched his face close for any sign that he was putting me on. He wasn't kidding so I went and got a real doctor (none VA). The doctor's name is John Gregory and he has an office in Claremont and Lebanon, NH. He looked at my feet and poked them in all the painful spots. He said that while my condition is aggravated it is common. I had an inflamed Achilles tendon, inflamed bursa and a planter faciititis. He asked me to get a set of new x-rays, cork inserts for my heels and a prescription for physical therapy. There was a whole bunch of things to be done in physical therapy. He didn't tell me where to go to get this stuff and I forgot to ask. So I drove up to the VA to ask them. The nurse I talked to said "no problem, we can do that here." The new VA x-ray confirmed to Dr. Gregory that he was right and I started the physical therapy. It was like magic. Every session peeled away the pain. In only 6 weeks, I was 100% pain free in my left foot and close to that with my right. Dr. Gregory also explained how to resume exercising again and the does and don'ts. The VA carried out all of Dr. Gregory's instructions.
I won't begin to tell you what you should do except take it serious and do what you have to get rid of it. It may not go away without professional intervention

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 14:04
I had that for a while. On the trail you can stop every once in a while and soak your feet in ice cold streams. Sorry I can't help you more. I'm not a Dr. although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. My pain finally did go away by itself after a coupla years.

Lyle
09-30-2008, 16:47
Not an expert, but have had some experience, both personal and third party.

Achilles Tendon pain is usually due to a combination of improper or no stretching and pressure on the tendon. Prevention is MUCH easier than treatment, as in many ailments.

1) Stretch every morning before hiking and after every break, plus several times during the evening as your muscles relax. Stand with your toes on a small rock or root, so that they are higher than the rest of your foot and gently lean forward, stretching the calf and thus the Achilles tendon.

2) Keep the top part of your boots very loose, even sloppy loose. This can be accomplished by lacing the foot area of the boot snuggly (not too tight), then tying a double granny knot, reverse the direction of the laces, and continue lacing extremely loose for the ankle and lower leg portion of the boot, tie off normally in a bow. The combination of the double granny and reversing the direction of the laces will keep the foot portion snug and the top section loose.

Cutting the notch out at the Achilles is not a bad idea once you get a problem. It is very painful and takes a long time to heal. Can cause major swelling in the area that makes things even worse if you keep hiking. Low cut trail runners will reduce the chances of this returning, but stretching is always a good idea. Pay attention to the cut of any shoes, avoiding ones that seem to put extra pressure on the Achilles.

I found out in college that I couldn't wear high boots when I developed problems walking around Michigan State's Campus. Had to just contend with low boots or shoes and deal with the deep snow.

Hope this gives you some ideas. The pain will eventually go away once you stretch it out and eliminate the pressure, but it takes a long time - months in my case.

Mother's Finest
09-30-2008, 16:56
the pain you are describing is NOT plantar fasciitis. your problem is related to your achilles, as others have said.

i have one important question was this the first time you wore those shoes for any distance?

peace
mf

Swiss Roll
09-30-2008, 17:14
the pain you are describing is NOT plantar fasciitis. your problem is related to your achilles, as others have said.

i have one important question was this the first time you wore those shoes for any distance?

peace
mf

I wore the Namaches for two months prior to the hike, training in them 2-3 times a week. My training hikes were less than 5 miles each time, so yes, the hike was the first time I wore the shoes >10miles at a time.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-30-2008, 17:19
I have always found this forum helpful as you guys have experienced just about everything on the trail. I recently completed the High Sierra Trail. On day 3, I started having pain in my Achilles. Never had blisters before in this area, but checked for them anyway, no visible sign of them. I was wearing Montrail Namaches. I figured that that the shoes were digging into the achilles, causing inflamation and pain. On day 5, the pain was so intense upon putting on the shoes, that I cut a notch in the back. This fix seemed to help but the pain persisted to a lesser degree throughout the next 4 days. By the time I finished the trail on day 7, which included a summit of Mt. Whitney, 16 miles, and a 6500ft. drop, the pain was strong enough for me to throw the shoes in the nearest trash can. My main question is this; have you ever had achilles specific pain? Was it a result of bad shoes, or just tender, newbie feet? Did it go away upon removing the shoes, as mine did? One week after finishing the hike, I still have the knife-like pain when I press the area, but very little pain otherwise. I still have to wear open-back sandals. Thanks for your input, everyone, I appreciate your thougts. By the way, here is my trail journals address for the hike.

www.trailjournals.com/swissroll (http://www.trailjournals.com/swissroll)
What did your doctor say it was?

Blissful
10-06-2008, 13:26
I wore the Namaches for two months prior to the hike, training in them 2-3 times a week. My training hikes were less than 5 miles each time, so yes, the hike was the first time I wore the shoes >10miles at a time.

...And coupled with likely tough terrain, I'm sure. Probably too much over all. Anyway, check with a Dr., may need some antinflammatories. And ice it.

adventurousmtnlvr
10-07-2008, 01:44
I may have to agree with swissroll re: plantar fasciitis potentially not being your problem. I have that for SURE and have had the surgery for said problem on both feet. My pain to this day does not go away when I remove shoes. Prior to the surgery it would feel better when laying down for the night ... until you hit the floor the next morning. My surgery worked for a time but even with continued orthotics I'm having trouble today and headed on Wed. for more steriod injections in the arches. major ouch by the way. My heel spurs have just gotten too large but I refuse the next surgery which is to shave off the spurs (4 on each foot) ... so I deal with the pain. So again ... I do not think your symptoms "as written by you" are from plantar fasciitis unless you have a combo of things. Ice is a temporary aide for both problems mentioned though, but not the solution.

In a prior thread I mentioned a couple of stretching exercises and someone above mentioned one of these with regard to a rock. Same thing can be done at home on stairs only put your toes on the stairs and lower your heels thus streching the calf. Another exercise for stretching that area is to stand upright on any flat surface and try to lift all your toes. And while in bed you can use a towel or belt around your feet ... holding on with your hands and try to pull your toes toward you (as per my VA podiatrist). Those work for both foot problems mentioned (not that either is what you have). fyi

adventurousmtnlvr
10-09-2008, 00:29
hey swiss roll ... back again with more 1st hand info from my day at the VA. I had heel spurs.... still do they are worse so I knew I'd be injected as the only other thing left since I had surgery on both feet already is a worse surgery.

Well ... turns out the right one with a permanent broken foot, heel spurs, previous surgery also has "achilles tendon" problems ... and I thought that awful pain was another heel spur. So still don't know that you have this either ... however I can tell you what they did to me for achilles via a doctor. They put me in a soft cast (well it's "L" shaped medal with padding) but you can walk on it outside althoug lop sided as my tennis shoe is a different height. I'm in that for 6 weeks for the achilles. I'm also put on steriods for a week. That's all they did for that hoping that will fix it. The idea is to KEEP it flexed (the foot) although to me that hurts the worst. They do the same thing for tennis elbow when braces don't work you get put in a sling and bent hurts worse then too but idea there is ... not to use it. Good luck which ever way it happens ... from your description though ... there isn't enough 'other' info to make a real suggestion ... but it's not heel spurs as they wouldn't be fixed or lessoned by taking shoes off. Oh, I did find out that ice and anti-inflammatories will NOT help heel spurs (but I knew that really) just had the doctor say it again ... it does help achilles though. fyi

Chenango
10-09-2008, 07:41
Swiss Role - I know what you mean. I was going up Galsetbuty Mtn in VT and thougth for sure I had a blister on my heel. When I took my boot (yes, boot) off, all looked fine. When I got home later that week, I could barely walk. Yes, it was my Achilles. It has been about 8 weeks now and it is finally starting to feel a lot better. About 2 weeks ago I did a 15 mile weekend hike in the Green Mtns, but this time with Merrill Moab trail runners. I kept the lacing very loose. I did OK, but there was still some pain. (Love that Vit I.) Also, I did end up going to the doctor. His advice was to take is real easy for 6-8 weeks. Also, he said to ice it at the END of each day, even if it did not hurt. This was very helpful. He also told me some things NOT to do. Do NOT stretch before hiking in the morning. Streching the tendon area is how I got into this mess in the first place. He suggested just walking around for a few minutes without my pack and then starting very slow for the first 15-30 minutes. This helped a lot. In addition he said NOT to soak my feet in a cool or cold creek until the END of the day. He said how many baseball pitchers do you see icing their arm in between innings? Keep that foot warmed up when using it.

I hope this helps. BTW, I am traveling on business right now and just got off the exercise bike in the fitness center. After several weeks, I still feel a tinge of pain in the heel. Do not take this lightly. It takes along time to heal. Keep at it and good luck.

ASUGrad
10-09-2008, 09:16
If you are taking cholesterol medicine and you have unknown foot pain, talk to your doctor. My foot pain ended when my cholesterol medicine ran out.