PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 Day Trip Recommendations

mts4602
09-30-2008, 12:50
I'm taking a friend of mine to the Smokies the weekend of Oct 11th. He's never been backpacking before, but is a not that out of shape 22 yr old college student like me.

I'm looking for a 3 or 4 day trip, I'm guessing no more than 10 miles per day give or take a few.

I've been to Mt. Sterling a couple of times so I may do that area again...but I'm also looking for something new for myself.

I want to show him a good time and maybe get a future hiking partner out of it:D so what trails would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

MTS

Jeepocachers
10-02-2008, 16:55
Hey, I'm trying to plan a trip for that same weekend. I can't offer any suggestions considering I haven't been there yet, I just went with what I could. On that note, If you plan to stay at one of the backcountry sites that require reservations, I'd do it quick. I had to replan my trip 3 times because they were all full for Friday, Saturday, and some on Sunday too.

edtheshark
10-10-2008, 13:57
Were you planning on making a loop or have another vehicle to drop off and hike to ?? There are many ways to make a loop in the smokies, especially with the AT: buy that little brown book "Hiking trails of the Smokies", it has every trail in it its awesome . I have a route I've done a few times in the winter, start out at Elkmont and hike out, little river trail to rough creek trail, get on Sugarland Mt. Trail to the AT and go south on the AT over clingmans and to I think Silers Bald and hike back down to Elkmont, there are a few variations on the route, I think I came back to Elkmont on Goshen Prong last time. Watch the GSMNP website, some areas will close due to bear activity this time of year, and make those reservations as early as you can. Hope this helps some...

Serial 07
10-10-2008, 14:35
mt. cammerer is the best sight i've seen out there...

firedad
10-10-2008, 18:02
Myself and two buddies just hiked our first hike ever, and it was in the Smokies. We used two cars to avoid hitching. We started at Clingmans Dome, headed south on the AT and took Bote Mtn. Trail down to Cades Cove. The exit trail is just before Spence Field shelter. It's about a 22 mi. hike, and we did it in about 2 and a half days, spending two nights in shelters. The views from Clingmans Dome, and Rocky Top were amazing and there are a handful of uphill climbs that are challenging and invigorating. Just a suggestion, hope it helps.