PDA

View Full Version : So, are we doing a FL Gathering this Fall

jnetx
09-30-2008, 13:24
I'm off the AT (for now at least) and back home in FL. I figured you guys would have a FL Gathering all arranged for the cooler weather by now!

So, anyone interested? When? Where?

I just wanna go hiking (bad knees and all)!:)

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 13:43
Juniper again? I suggest Goldhead Branch. I was thinking the first weekend in December, but, some people may be heading to Franklin for Ron Haven's Christmas party.

JaxHiker
09-30-2008, 18:53
Hmm. Well, I just did Juniper this weekend and I'm doing Olustee next month. The only problem with Goldhead is it's such a short section of the trail. It's nice though. Oh, and I'm going there on the 10th. :D

slow
09-30-2008, 19:04
I'm off the AT (for now at least) and back home in FL. I figured you guys would have a FL Gathering all arranged for the cooler weather by now!

So, anyone interested? When? Where?

I just wanna go hiking (bad knees and all)!:)

Will walk anytime with you.:)

She is fast and down to earth.:D

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 19:43
It's a short ride from there (Goldhead that is) to Etoniah State Forest and the Grand Canyon of the FT. Also goes thru Bardin Booger Woods where I've seen bears and Bigfoot footprints. There's a camp near the Etoniah trail head. I don't know how nice that is. Anywhere is fine. We could park and walk in to the Iron Bridge shelter. Just some suggestions.

BumpJumper
09-30-2008, 19:55
Where is Goldhead?

And SLOW....answer me man!:confused:

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 20:07
Where is Goldhead?

And SLOW....answer me man!:confused:

Goldhead Branch State Park is a few miles north of Keystone Heights.

JaxHiker
09-30-2008, 22:07
Etoniah might not be bad.

And like Gray said, Goldhead is 6 mi from Keystone. There's also a gas station 3 mi between the two if you forget something small. It's really a nice park. The family and I visited earlier this year and it inspired me to put on a camp outing for our church group.

BumpJumper
10-01-2008, 20:39
GOT PICS??:jump

JaxHiker
10-01-2008, 21:41
Not sure if it's very interesting but here you go. :)

Gold Head Gallery (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31072921@N08/sets/72157607653740951/)

BumpJumper
10-02-2008, 09:28
Thanks. Nice! Hey, if we hold it there, is there any water for kayaking?
The one reason Juniper is always so nice is it has the FT and the Juniper Run which is a 7 mile paddle. Nice for a days adventure.

BumpJumper
10-02-2008, 09:36
Here is some photos of last years Fall Gathering at Juniper.
Gray and Half Step making music
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/GrayBlazerandHalfstep_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19954&c=searchresults&searchid=17910])

TBack ducking low
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/tback_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28186&c=659])

Bluegill
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/tricky_paddling_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28187&c=659])

Grayblazer and his photos
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/grayblazer_and_his_photos_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28185&c=659)

You can see more or bigger pics in the photogallery under Florida Fall Gathering in the Whiteblaze gatherings.

JaxHiker
10-02-2008, 10:37
Thanks. Nice! Hey, if we hold it there, is there any water for kayaking?
The one reason Juniper is always so nice is it has the FT and the Juniper Run which is a 7 mile paddle. Nice for a days adventure.
Not really. Unfortunately the water at Gold Head is pretty much dried up. There's a "lake" with canoe rentals but it didn't look like you could go very far.

I think for paddling I'd go to Faver Dykes and hit Pellicer Creek. The downside there is no real hiking trails.

Gray Blazer
10-02-2008, 10:52
Not really. Unfortunately the water at Gold Head is pretty much dried up. There's a "lake" with canoe rentals but it didn't look like you could go very far.

I think for paddling I'd go to Faver Dykes and hit Pellicer Creek. The downside there is no real hiking trails.

How 'bout Blackwater Creek?

BumpJumper
10-02-2008, 19:59
Why you silly,silly man. Blackwater Creek?? The sheriffs office has pulled so many hikers and campers out of there in the last two years, plus two fireman that thought they could find their way back in there to recover some morons kayaks.:eek:

I'll pass.

Gray Blazer
10-02-2008, 20:07
Why you silly,silly man. Blackwater Creek?? The sheriffs office has pulled so many hikers and campers out of there in the last two years, plus two fireman that thought they could find their way back in there to recover some morons kayaks.:eek:

I'll pass.

I really had no idea. Are you talking about the one near Jax that flows into the St Johns?

floridahikes
10-03-2008, 00:13
Or is it the one in Lake County in Seminole State Forest that flows up to Lake Norris? ;-)

floridahikes
10-03-2008, 00:17
Etoniah is a good idea, camping area is pretty large and the shelter can fit quite a few. Rice Creek might be another option, if the focus is on N FL.

BumpJumper
10-03-2008, 21:49
No Gray, I am talking about the one in Lake County. Sandy, sounds like you know where I am talking about.:D

BumpJumper
10-03-2008, 21:50
Well, several folks have shown interest but want to do the car camping thing. One has a camper.

slow
10-04-2008, 20:36
Well, several folks have shown interest but want to do the car camping thing. One has a camper.

Bump,will cook for all if around T day.

BumpJumper
10-05-2008, 17:17
Slow, do I interepret that to read, YOU will cook?:eek:

Gray Blazer
10-05-2008, 19:51
How bout the 1st weekend after T day.

Hammock Hanger
10-05-2008, 20:17
Etoniah is a good idea, camping area is pretty large and the shelter can fit quite a few. Rice Creek might be another option, if the focus is on N FL.

This is a really nice place.

Cool AT Breeze
10-05-2008, 21:29
I'm in if it's N FL. All these places sound good.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 07:38
There's some kind of camp you can drive into about a mile east of the Etoniah Creek trailhead. I didn't check the water there. I have a feeling it might be sulpher water. Maybe someone else here knows more about it. If we meet there I could show you where I saw the Bigfoot tracks. We could hike from there to Rice Creek on SR 100 and shuttle back.

slow
10-06-2008, 18:38
Slow, do I interepret that to read, YOU will cook?:eek:

YES,i will cook steaks for all,just bring your own side.:)

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 21:53
YES,i will cook steaks for all,just bring your own side.:)

He's not lying folks.

slow
10-06-2008, 23:58
He's not lying folks.

Would you like yours at a 1 1/2.:-?

You are a GOOD MAN.:)

slow
10-07-2008, 00:06
BTW...Gray you are in charge:eek:of the count.:)

Rainman
10-07-2008, 16:56
Sounds like fun again! I hope I can make it. I am planning to hike about 4 days before T-day. Windwalker is coming with me again. I don't know if I can get a house pass to go camping again the very next weekend.

Gray Blazer
10-07-2008, 22:51
Alright, I'll try this again. Here's the info on Etoniah. There is really no place for us to car camp there unless we all meet at one of the very primitive spots or we get one of the locals to show us how to get to the hunt camp on the FT there. We would all get lost trying to find each other.

The Holloway Day Use Area was nice with Trail heads and water (treated sulphur water) and nice restrooms. It was right at the end of the dirt road where the Etoniah Creek Trailhead is located on Holloway Road north off of highway 100. It is 12.8 miles from there to 100 at Rice Creek. The hilites are the Etoniah Creek Ravine and the Iron Bridge Shelter and the aforementioned hunt camp.

The gate was open to the Etoniah Creek area so I drove in on back to the creek. The dirt road had a sign about a 12 mile loop, but, I did not go on that.

The Longleaf Pine trailhead was on the Magnolia/Coral Farms Road 4 miles north off of 100 in Florahome. There's a coupla big hills (for FL) back in there that you drive over. This is the trail where I saw the Big Foot footprints. There's a coupla small lakes and sinkholes.

I had my first daddy/daughter hike on the very short George's Lake Trail. There was a dock at the end. My little girl loved being free and wild. She is so beautiful and she loved running down the trail and walking on the dock.

So in conclusion, I think we need to meet at Goldhead or Juniper or somewhere else. I vote for Goldhead.

So the details could possibly be-the first weekend in Dec at__________(someone decide), Slow brings the steaks and everyone else brings a side.

Everybody chime in and lets decide.

Gray Blazer
10-08-2008, 21:59
Alright, I'll try this again. Here's the info on Etoniah. There is really no place for us to car camp there unless we all meet at one of the very primitive spots or we get one of the locals to show us how to get to the hunt camp on the FT there. We would all get lost trying to find each other.

The Holloway Day Use Area was nice with Trail heads and water (treated sulphur water) and nice restrooms. It was right at the end of the dirt road where the Etoniah Creek Trailhead is located on Holloway Road north off of highway 100. It is 12.8 miles from there to 100 at Rice Creek. The hilites are the Etoniah Creek Ravine and the Iron Bridge Shelter and the aforementioned hunt camp.

The gate was open to the Etoniah Creek area so I drove in on back to the creek. The dirt road had a sign about a 12 mile loop, but, I did not go on that.

The Longleaf Pine trailhead was on the Magnolia/Coral Farms Road 4 miles north off of 100 in Florahome. There's a coupla big hills (for FL) back in there that you drive over. This is the trail where I saw the Big Foot footprints. There's a coupla small lakes and sinkholes.

I had my first daddy/daughter hike on the very short George's Lake Trail. There was a dock at the end. My little girl loved being free and wild. She is so beautiful and she loved running down the trail and walking on the dock.

So in conclusion, I think we need to meet at Goldhead or Juniper or somewhere else. I vote for Goldhead.

So the details could possibly be-the first weekend in Dec at__________(someone decide), Slow brings the steaks and everyone else brings a side.

The pics are now up in my WB Gallery and in the FT Gallery.

wahoo
10-08-2008, 22:27
I'm down for Goldhead on the first weekend in December. Let's do that.

JaxHiker
10-09-2008, 13:23
Hmm. I'll have to see if I can manage Gold Head three times in 5 months. :D

slow
10-09-2008, 19:20

Gray, it would be nice if some can do rafting on sat and also pack overnite and meet on sun back at camp.I can then cook fri night for all?

Gray Blazer
10-09-2008, 19:35
Gray, it would be nice if some can do rafting on sat and also pack overnite and meet on sun back at camp.I can then cook fri night for all?

There's tubing on the Ichetucknee about an hour and a half away from Goldhead. That would be an all day thing. Some would have to choose from hiking overnite and tubing.

Do you have an alternate plan?

The best place to go canoeing and hiking is prolly Juniper. I wouldn't want to do a FL Gathering campout/cookout without you and Bump. BTW, we will not allow you to do all the cooking.

rcli4
10-09-2008, 19:55
no one is gonna go tubing in November at Ichetucknee. It is freezing in August.

Clyde

Gray Blazer
10-09-2008, 19:59
no one is gonna go tubing in November at Ichetucknee. It is freezing in August.

Clyde

It won't be crowded.

slow
10-09-2008, 20:00
There's tubing on the Ichetucknee about an hour and a half away from Goldhead. That would be an all day thing. Some would have to choose from hiking overnite and tubing.

Do you have an alternate plan?

The best place to go canoeing and hiking is prolly Juniper. I wouldn't want to do a FL Gathering campout/cookout without you and Bump. BTW, we will not allow you to do all the cooking.

Gray, i also want Bump to have water fun and others to hike,So pic and i will cook on fri?

Gray Blazer
10-09-2008, 20:31
Bump, is it too late reserve at Juniper for 1st weekend in Dec.? I like that spot we had last time. I want to bring my wife and family this time.

slow
10-09-2008, 21:03
Bump, is it too late reserve at Juniper for 1st weekend in Dec.? I like that spot we had last time. I want to bring my wife and family this time.

Now GRAY,please dont tell me ..they dont like steak.:eek:

Gray Blazer
10-09-2008, 21:05
Now GRAY,please dont tell me ..they dont like steak.:eek:

Are you serious? We love steak. We would never join L.A.M.E. (Liberals Against Meat Eaters).

slow
10-09-2008, 21:07
Are you serious? We love steak. We would never join L.A.M.E. (Liberals Against Meat Eaters).

:):):):):):):):):)

slow
10-09-2008, 21:15
Also i'm all for just walking from camp ...no trail for a bush say 10 mi and setup camp?

Gray Blazer
10-09-2008, 21:18
Carry everything in and party down? Iron Bridge Shelter would be a good place. If not this time, then another time.

Hammock Hanger
10-10-2008, 01:32
Carry everything in and party down? Iron Bridge Shelter would be a good place. If not this time, then another time.

It is a rather short walk from the parking to the shelter, under a mile I think.

Mal the Elder
10-11-2008, 21:26
Florida Folk!

I'm getting slack . . . just now stumbled on this thread! I've been jonesing to do an FFG '08 all year.

Juniper sounds like an obvious default spot, being sort of centrally located and having decent hiking and paddling---and no hunting. Gathering there would maybe be the start of an FFG tradition, but it's also easy to see why some might want to go somewhere else. But it all sounds good to me, as long as there's a place to hang the hammock.

If I make it, I promise to stay awake this time. Told my doctor no more opiates; they don't work anyway. I'm hoping my wife's wrist will heal up enough to let her shuttle me by December, or I might be hitchhiking to wherever (or staying home :mad:). She just had her right wrist repaired, finally! Her left is finally healed :).

It would be good to see everyone again this year, and better yet actually do some hiking or paddling this time. Grey, don't forget your flute and guitar---mine's ready. Maybe we should work out a set list.

Is Slow still cooking the steaks?

Later,
Mal

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2008, 22:28
It was no be get together, but my hubby and I were in the Ocala today paddling on the Juniper Run.

Beautiful weather, great day.

Hammock Hanger

Gray Blazer
10-12-2008, 20:18
Alright you guys. I don't know what's happening to me tomorrow much less one month from now. I'm gonna back away from this for now. I'll check later and see what happens. If we don't do it this year, there's always next year.

JaxHiker
10-12-2008, 20:18
Well, we had gorgeous weather at Gold Head this weekend. Nothing like the heavy rains we heard about in Jax. Unfortunately, I sort of got soured on it. I didn't get a copy of the rules this time and don't remember it from the last time but the hammock nazi came by and made us take our hammocks down.

BumpJumper
10-13-2008, 20:44
Gray, I dont think it is too late. But is that where everyone wants to go? I am not getting that opinion here.

Most of the folks that did go, want to go or are considering going, have a canoe or kayak so, wherever we go, we need to bear that in mind. The thing about Juniper is you have the waterway, you have ONF hiking, you have civil campsites, and for some, nightlife just down the road a piece in Astor!!!!!!!!!! Or, sit by the fire and listening to stories and listening to the music.

notorius tic
10-13-2008, 20:58
IM Inn call me or PM. the dates 941-914-8010

Gray Blazer
10-14-2008, 07:26
Gray, I dont think it is too late. But is that where everyone wants to go? I am not getting that opinion here.

Most of the folks that did go, want to go or are considering going, have a canoe or kayak so, wherever we go, we need to bear that in mind. The thing about Juniper is you have the waterway, you have ONF hiking, you have civil campsites, and for some, nightlife just down the road a piece in Astor!!!!!!!!!! Or, sit by the fire and listening to stories and listening to the music.

I think the majority want Juniper.

Sly
10-14-2008, 12:37

No real harm, but why have it the same weekend as Ron Haven's party? Some folks may like to attend both

Gray Blazer
10-14-2008, 13:28
Someone decide. Like I said before, I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow much less a month or two from now. I could even end up in Franklin on the first weekend of Dec which would please me no end.

BumpJumper
10-14-2008, 17:17
Me too Gray. :D

Hammock Hanger
10-14-2008, 17:42
I'm open to any place. I will be gone the first week of Nov. hiking in the Smokies. Possibly gone the first week of Dec. cruising in the Caribbean.