PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to avoid shelters

Pages : 1 [2]

Yukon
10-02-2008, 12:07
Wow, can't believe this thread is still going lol

Well I have had a cell phone since I was 20, so that's 10 years now of owning one. I won't ever go without one now, especially since the birth of my little boy 4 years ago. If there was ever an emergency I like the pice of mind knowing that I can be reached. Some people like em, some people don't....no big deal.

dessertrat
10-02-2008, 12:11
LW ... we have found common ground! I've lived too long without a cell phone.... see no good reason to change now. Got along fine without 'em!
Biggest money suck ever invented!

Except maybe the internet!

I have no land line, and have free nationwide long distance on my cell, and pay about $50 per month.

superman
10-02-2008, 12:48
Cell doesn't go to satellite till after it gets to the cell tower if then at all. And please leave my ex out of this.:D

LMAO, it's best to not confuse my posts with reality... except the part about your ex. :D

mrc237
10-02-2008, 12:53
i don't own a cell. never will

Too easy to borrow one from the guy standing next to you! :D

Egads
10-02-2008, 13:06
People can change other's quotes. I couldn't find where he said that and besides, not everyone has a sense of humor like LW's. He may have been pulling our leg (or as they say in spanish, drinking our hair).

Grey Blazer is on to me. I did in fact take Dixiecritter's advice and have some fun with edit magic.:D

"I think this forum has seen enough serious threads already, so how about something a little more lighthearted...?"

bloodmountainman
10-02-2008, 14:31
Except maybe the internet!

I have no land line, and have free nationwide long distance on my cell, and pay about $50 per month.
Internet is free if you hitch-hike on the "Information Super Highway".
Wife had a cellphone once..... and a monthly bill of $1400.00. Seems they are great IF it is never used!
You got a great price..... must have low useage.:eek:

TJ aka Teej
10-02-2008, 14:36
...the main reason one should avoid shelters is to avoid meeting posters from Whiteblaze.:rolleyes:

rafe
10-02-2008, 14:54
...the main reason one should avoid shelters is to avoid meeting posters from Whiteblaze.:rolleyes:

I've met exactly two WBers on the trail. The last encounter was in 2005 in Connecticut and southern MA; he hasn't posted in a year or so now. Far more likely to find a WBer in town, partying.

Phreak
10-02-2008, 15:12
Great point!

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 15:30
Far more likely to find a WBer in town, partying.

that's a BS assumption

rafe
10-02-2008, 15:45
that's a BS assumption

Not an "assumption" at all. It's an observation from personal experience. But to be fair: I haven't hiked with the thru-hiker wave since 1990. Almost all of my hiking since then has been off-season, away from the thru-hiker waves.

YMMV, of course.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 15:54
Um, Terrapin, Wolf made a perfectly valid point.

If you acknowledge that you haven't hiked with large groups of thru-hikers since 1990, then your "observations" about contemporary thru-hikers aren't really worth much.

Likewise, as for not encountering WBers on the Trail, that's ridiculous. A few weeks ago in Rutland, there were all sorts of WBers present.

Maybe you didn't encounter them because they didn't wanna talk to you. :D

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 16:04
that's a BS assumption

I wouldn't say BS, because it's partially true. They might not be partying but probably posting to WhiteBlaze and updating their trail journal:D

I have met WB'ers on the trail....Some good people too. The majority of folks I met though, I didn't ask. Nor, did I care.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 16:12
far more likely to find a WBer like terrapin and homer, at home in front of a computer or at work in front of a computer, than actually out hiking

Marta
10-02-2008, 16:14
I'm pretty surprised at how often I run into Whiteblazers while I'm hiking. I'll say that most of the people who mention Whiteblaze have never posted, but they mention reading stuff on the site.

rafe
10-02-2008, 16:17
Um, Terrapin, Wolf made a perfectly valid point.

Umm, no. Wolf called it an "assumption." It was no such thing. It was an observation, and as such, it is a fact. Perhaps of limited value or relevance, but a fact nevertheless.

If you acknowledge that you haven't hiked with large groups of thru-hikers since 1990, then your "observations" about contemporary thru-hikers aren't really worth much.Excuse me, maybe I should add "for what it's worth" next time I post. But I'll let others judge the value of my observations, and take them for what they're worth.

Likewise, as for not encountering WBers on the Trail, that's ridiculous. A few weeks ago in Rutland, there were all sorts of WBers present.Which exactly illustrates my point: I met them in town, partying and yakking on their cell phones. Not on the trail. (And, for what it's worth, I spent several hours on the trail, near Pico, the prior day.)

rafe
10-02-2008, 16:20
far more likely to find a WBer like terrapin and homer, at home in front of a computer or at work in front of a computer, than actually out hiking

Far more likely to find LW at Dot's than on the trail, I imagine.

Hoop Time
10-02-2008, 16:22
Imagine, WiFi at all the shelters. The trail will be taken over by writers.

OK ... who exactly clued you in to our plan for AT domination? It was supposed to be hush-hush.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 16:23
Lone Wolf's has more Trail miles in Damascus than you have in your whole life, Terrapin.

You mentioned that you haven't actually hiked with a lot of thru-hikers in almost two decades.

And in a recent post, you mentioned that perhaps you should add "for what it's worth" to some of your posts.

Well, truth be told, if it involves contemporary thru-hiking and thru-hikers, here's what your opinion's worth:

Not much.

rafe
10-02-2008, 16:25
Thank you so much for your opinion, Jack. Adds a lot of light and good cheer. Have a nice day.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 16:32
Um, Terrapin, get off the tall horse, OK.

You insulted Wolf and implied that he spends more time in saloons than out in the woods.

You don't know the guy. It was an ignorant thing to day.

Then you get all hufy when someone points out how out of line your comment was.

Real simple, Terrapin: If you don't wanna be criticized for saying foolish things about other people, then don't say 'em. Or try saying them to their face instead of anonymously on the Internet from 700 miles away.

But we both know that ain't very likely. :rolleyes:

rafe
10-02-2008, 16:39
Thank you so much for your opinion, Jack. Adds a lot of light and good cheer. Have a nice day.

Phreak
10-02-2008, 17:00
Lone Wolf's has more Trail miles in Damascus than you have in your whole life, Terrapin.

Is this a fact or simply your opinion?

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 19:24

Spent way more time hiking this year than I ever did on Whiteblaze. But cheap shots are all you know. That's why you stay at Dots huh?

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 20:00
Phreak:

Since you asked, I'd say it's a fact. Wolf runs, cycles, or hikes just about every day of the week. He's walking on the A.T. every time he leaves his house. And having seen both of these gentlemen this past summer, there's no question in my mind about who's more fit. So Terrapin's comment about Wolf and Dot's was not only mean-spirited, it was false. These guys are just about the same age. There's no question about who's in better shape. Lone Wolf could knock out 25 miles tomorrow no problem, and when I saw Terrapin a few weeks ago, he didn't look strong enough to knock holes in a Chinese lantern.

So Phreak, this isn't just my opinion.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 20:10
Spent way more time hiking this year than I ever did on Whiteblaze. That's why you stay at Dots huh?

nice try newbie kid. what DO packs smell like? :cool:

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 20:14
Must be wonderful to have the AT in your backyard. Glad you get to hike so much. I ride my bicycle to work every day and hike whenever I get a chance. I walk to work sometimes if I have the time...notably I don't live on or near a major trail system so...

If you think your insulting me by calling me newbie, I could care less, I have hiked over half my life on trails across the country.

Phreak
10-02-2008, 20:19
Phreak:

Since you asked, I'd say it's a fact. Wolf runs, cycles, or hikes just about every day of the week. He's walking on the A.T. every time he leaves his house. And having seen both of these gentlemen this past summer, there's no question in my mind about who's more fit. So Terrapin's comment about Wolf and Dot's was not only mean-spirited, it was false. These guys are just about the same age. There's no question about who's in better shape. Lone Wolf could knock out 25 miles tomorrow no problem, and when I saw Terrapin a few weeks ago, he didn't look strong enough to knock holes in a Chinese lantern.

So Phreak, this isn't just my opinion.

I beg to differ. You are ASSUMING Wolf runs, cycles or hikes just about every day. You don't know this for a fact. And I honestly don't care one way or the other. But don't go off on a tangent about someone giving an opinion, when in fact, that is all you are doing. Maybe it's time you stepped down from your high horse.

Blissful
10-02-2008, 20:27
I actually met several WBers last year on the trail hiking, doing trail magic or visiting and it was very much appreciated and enjoyed. Met LW who shuttled my hubby.

Also met several hikers who knew of WB and were on it but didn't say much as they didn't like the squabbling....(hint, hint)

Gray Blazer
10-02-2008, 20:42
Also met several hikers who knew of WB and were on it but didn't say much as they didn't like the squabbling....(hint, hint)

I've heard the same thing.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 20:49
If you think your insulting me by calling me newbie, I could care less, I have hiked over half my life on trails across the country.

that's why you send me so many hateful PMs huh kid?

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 20:51
Um, Phreak, what I'm assuming is based on the fact that I've known Lone Wolf quite well for over 13 years and have a pretty good idea about how he lives his life and spends his time.

If you know him better, please enlighten us.

Til then, you might want to refrain from comments about high horses, especially when dealing with subjects you know nothing about. Otherwise, you risk looking pretty foolish.

Or to put it another way.....some of us go thru life getting accused of sitting on high horse's asses. And some of us go thru life looking and acting like......well I think I'll let other folks finish that one. :rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
10-02-2008, 20:53
wow,i can't believe all the bull**** im hearing,on this thread/site.my girlfriend set me up on whiteblaze cuz she likes doing things for me! thought i'd enjoy it,which i used too! i've been on or around the A.T. since about 95' or so. met alot of cool people, but too many haters on this site!!! lets see, now im being told since im a whiteblaze member now, i party all the time in town(no),spend all my time on computers or cell phones(i don't own one by the way-cell phone) i try to give newbees some good advice or i tell of some of my days on the trail(to be told im lying or full of crap)i have no reason to lie to any of you! it was cool to talk to alot of you in person or on this damn puter(i hate computers now and always have) i don't use them on hikes ever, no online journal. and i liked the fact, to find out every thing i needed to know about hiking or the trail. i had to go out and hike or research on my own. really glad i found hiking way before computers, its nice to be helped with some questions, but **** go out and figure some things out on your own! a few questions on here thats great, but some of you ask 400 questions. computer or hiking i think i should give one up? it wont be hiking thats for sure lonewolf, tinman, two speeds, steveJ, a-train, baltimore jack, geek, hooch, and a few others who know who you Are!!! its been my pleasure(seriously) to meet /talk/ hike with you all and try to get to know you a little better. but some of you id like to B SLAP. i have a thru hike planned next year hope to see some of you or not, whatever. my daughter turns 1 year old Saturday, i hope to hike with her someday soon, but i will try to not let her see all the negativity like we have on this thread. most of you seem alot happier when your hiking maybe its time to think about getting back out there instead of giving atroll and his great Whiteblaze site a black eye. go ahead talk some more crap, at least i won't be hear to see/hear it. I know my opinion is worth nothing, but this isn’t the A.T I know and love. People respect and are nice to each other on the AT, but you wouldn’t know that by reading hikers’ posts here. And like my girlfriend says, we aint got time for the stupid *****

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 20:56
Crumb:

Don't mistake cyberworld, especially hiker cyber-world, with the real one.

Two different places entirely. :D

Phreak
10-02-2008, 20:58
Um, Phreak, what I'm assuming is based on the fact that I've known Lone Wolf quite well for over 13 years and have a pretty good idea about how he lives his life and spends his time.

If you know him better, please enlighten us.

Til then, you might want to refrain from comments about high horses, especially when dealing with subjects you know nothing about. Otherwise, you risk looking pretty foolish.

Or to put it another way.....some of us go thru life getting accused of sitting on high horse's asses. And some of us go thru life looking and acting like......well I think I'll let other folks finish that one. :rolleyes:
Maybe our paths will cross some day, and we can figure it out.

Cookerhiker
10-02-2008, 21:08
I've met more WBers off theTrail at events (Gathering, Trail Days, SoRuck, ATC meeting) than on the Trail but remember, many of us including me hike other trails in addition to the AT. So just because one isn't encountered on the AT doesn't mean he/she isn't out hiking.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 21:32
I look forward to seeing Phreak sometime, perhaps maybe even on the A.T. when he finds the time. :rolleyes:

But in the meantime, this thread is not about me, it's not about him, it's not about what Wolf does or doesn't do in his spare time. The thread is about the advantages and disadvantages of trail shelters, and maybe we should take the thread back to that discussion.

Gray Blazer
10-02-2008, 21:35
Crumb, there are more Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts than haters on this site. I love WB (I have stayed in shelters before. Some are nice, some are......well, not so nice). when I get tired of the hate, which as you say, gives Rock and Attroll's site a black eye, I ignore it, avoid it and look at the pic's in the gallery or read trip reports or a lot of other things available on this site.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2008, 21:43
Shelters are festering with all sorts of nasty contagents, during peak. During winter, after walking thru umpteen miles of snow and cold I have convinced myself that they are not as nasty, and since there the only dry ground available, and the register hasnt been signed in 4 weeks, well why not. But during peak, they do make hikers sick. They spread whatevers going around. If your softhanded, and from the city, chances are you'll contract something during heavy shelter use season. seen it a zillion times

You are kidding RIGHT? - all you need to do is shake hands with someone with a wet hand who just left the men's room, after wiping his nose.

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 21:54
You are kidding RIGHT? - all you need to do is shake hands with someone with a wet hand who just left the men's room, after wiping his nose.

I've met some germaphobes before. Interesting people. Think you can get sick from anything. I have not had a cold or flu or headache or sneezes or allergies or anything like that, and I stayed in 6 different shelters this summer.

Go figger.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2008, 21:56
H & M it is amazing how some posts are well written and misplaced.

Egads
10-02-2008, 22:02
Please stop feeding the trolls

sticks&stones
10-02-2008, 22:26

Every year thru hikers get sick in numbers somewhere during the first few weeks. Now during the first quarter of the AT shelters are crammed during peak. Damp, humid at times, hikers hacking, and packed like sardines. Reminds me of ashuwitz. Okay so maybe theres some handshaking going on but please...

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 22:39
H & M it is amazing how some posts are well written and misplaced.

Gotcha....Sorry bout that... now interpreted correctly.

rafe
10-02-2008, 22:51
Reminds me of ashuwitz.

Really? Did you truly mean Auschwitz? As in, Poland? Were you there? Were hikers carted in in boxcars? Do tell.

ed bell
10-02-2008, 22:55
I look forward to seeing Phreak sometime, perhaps maybe even on the A.T. when he finds the time. :rolleyes:

But in the meantime, this thread is not about me, it's not about him, it's not about what Wolf does or doesn't do in his spare time. The thread is about the advantages and disadvantages of trail shelters, and maybe we should take the thread back to that discussion.Thanks for pointing that out Jack. I hope folks can help out by doing just that. I'm sure those who moderate this forum would appreciate it.

Phreak
10-02-2008, 22:56
Please stop feeding the trolls
And the one-trick ponies.

Hoop Time
10-03-2008, 06:55
I enjoy the spirited give and take in a vibrant forum, but I also have been in the position of forum administrator before, and realize it can be a real challenge. I have not seen things get way out of hand here as I have elsewhere. Sometimes posts seem off on a tangent, but that is the way conversation goes. To me, as long as it doesn't slander or libel someone, and is not an outright vicious attack/threat, it doesn't bother me much.

But people do need to keep in mind that the thread is the major topic of discussion. So, for instance, if you were to give crumbsnatcher advice about parenting, it would be off topic to suggest that a good father would not leave a 1-year-old for 5-6 months to go through hike, or that he ought to consider marrying his baby momma. But it would be OK to remind him that little kids immune systems are not fully developed, so he'd best not stay in shelters with her if he takes her hiking.

Gray Blazer
10-03-2008, 07:48
I enjoy the spirited give and take in a vibrant forum, but I also have been in the position of forum administrator before, and realize it can be a real challenge. I have not seen things get way out of hand here as I have elsewhere. Sometimes posts seem off on a tangent, but that is the way conversation goes. To me, as long as it doesn't slander or libel someone, and is not an outright vicious attack/threat, it doesn't bother me much.

But people do need to keep in mind that the thread is the major topic of discussion. So, for instance, if you were to give crumbsnatcher advice about parenting, it would be off topic to suggest that a good father would not leave a 1-year-old for 5-6 months to go through hike, or that he ought to consider marrying his baby momma. But it would be OK to remind him that little kids immune systems are not fully developed, so he'd best not stay in shelters with her if he takes her hiking.

I like how you managed not to give Crumb any parenting advice.

Shelters-take 'em or leave 'em.

CrumbSnatcher
10-03-2008, 08:24

not sure what your telling me here,but i have questioned myself everyday about going on a long hike leaving my beautiful daughter without her daddy for awhile,my babys momma is the greatest woman i've ever known. and i have her blessing to go. i know i have family responsibilitys. my family is also into hiking,we hike all the time as a family. she knows i have a passion and a inner drive for my hiking. which she doesn't want me to give up. my family is driving me to springer late may early june. im not going out for a 5-7 month thruhike. i've already done that 4 times. i will be attempting a 60-90 day unsupported thruhike! (after 90 days i will come home from the hike, no matter how far i get)they will probably hang around a few days and meet up with me. springer to neels gap day#1 unicoi gap or dicks creek gap day #2 and so on. and possibly meeting me half way,so my baby can see her daddy...thanks for worrying about me though. thanks gray blazer

Hoop Time
10-03-2008, 10:52
I like how you managed not to give Crumb any parenting advice.

It was intended a little tongue in cheek, though it is also true that many a truth is said in jest.

BUT, I will admit it is not my place to give CS parenting advice, and especially not marriage advice. I should leave that to Dr. Phil or Dr. Laura.

Crumb -- hike your own hike. I am sure you love your young-un and your girl. Sometimes doing what makes you a better person is the best thing for all. I apologize.

And just to stay on topic, make up your own mind about shelters.

SteveJ
10-03-2008, 11:24
Thanks for pointing that out Jack. I hope folks can help out by doing just that. I'm sure those who moderate this forum would appreciate it.

Hear, hear. I'm a new moderator - took on the AT Shelters forum because it seemed rather innocuous and trouble free. Have been away from the 'puter for a day or so, and find this thread....

Please review the Whiteblaze terms of service / use agreement:

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

It's obvious that some of you haven't read it in a while, if ever, especially #2:

Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes use of illegal substances, racism, sexism, or posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members. Our policy does not protect people that choose to verbally assault other members that may disagree with them. In essence members can disagree but should remain respectful of the person they disagree with.

Back to topic. I only use shelters as a place to cook / dry stuff out if it's been raining all day. I've also met quite a few WB'ers at shelters, and have enjoyed the social aspects of getting to know others that love the trail. I don't sleep in shelters for a couple of good reasons: I almost always hammock, I almost always hike with my dog, and I snore. All good reasons not to stay in a shelter!

Blue Jay
10-03-2008, 11:31
In essence members can disagree but should remain respectful of the person they disagree with.

How about sarcasm or hyperbole?
Head butting is RIGHT OUT

LUMP
10-03-2008, 12:43
An awful lot of whining here. If you do not like shelters fior whatever reason, don't use them. Simple as that.

BipolarStroller
10-03-2008, 12:50

Just for the record:
Crumb is an excellent father and he has a very strong bond with his daughter.
I grew up in a military family, my father was seperated from us many times and for up to 2 years at a time, and even though he was a strict SOB, he was a damn good parent!
It's nobody's business whether we're married or not, but since it's all out there, we are engaged, have been for a long time, but we will do what we want when we want and nobody's gonna tell us different and it doesn't concern us what anyone else thinks!
We are well aware of our childs immune system, hiking in elevation, sun, wind, snow, yaddi yadda and FYI there is a whole community of mothers and fathers who hike with their small children and we would never put our children in a dangerous situation.
What Crumb was trying to say is that this website is advertised in Hiking and Backpacking Magazines, but nowhere does it prepare you for the rude and negative members that are sitting at the edge of your seat waiting to pounce and scutinize every post that is outside the relm of your own thinking. As though since you can access the internet makes you better than human.
Crumb was a hiker before a father, he's not putting us on hold, we want him to persue his dreams just like we want our daughter to! It will make him happy to be out there, he's worked his ass off for us and he deserves it! It will make him healthier physically and mentally, and we will be here when he gets back to tell us of his journey.
I though this site was an excellent source of information, thank you women of whiteblaze, but the boys turned me off a long time ago and since have not visited very often at all. And as for the CrumbSnatcher, he is well aware that implimenting me or including me in a WhiteBlaze post is a no no, so I shall block this site from my damn computer, it's for work, not horse play that stomps on human emotions and stirs up dust with over-inflated egos.
Oh, and Shelters suck, the only purpose I see for them, is that they have those shelter log books, but instead of taking in the natural beauty, everyone has to deface the shelter and surrounding trees with their names, as if having to pee in the trees is a way to mark your territory instead of appreciating it and protecting it for future generations, but I guess if you're in this for yourself, it doesn't matter who comes after you.
Don't start none, won't be none, have a nice life, I'd say play nice, but who would I be kidding? GAME ON!

Phreak
10-03-2008, 13:54
Hear, hear. I'm a new moderator - took on the AT Shelters forum because it seemed rather innocuous and trouble free. Have been away from the 'puter for a day or so, and find this thread....

Please review the Whiteblaze terms of service / use agreement:

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

It's obvious that some of you haven't read it in a while, if ever, especially #2:

Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes use of illegal substances, racism, sexism, or posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members. Our policy does not protect people that choose to verbally assault other members that may disagree with them. In essence members can disagree but should remain respectful of the person they disagree with.

You are absolutely right. I apologize for my posts/rants in this thread. It was out of line and I shouldn't have gotten sucked into the debate in the first place.

Hoop Time
10-03-2008, 16:03
Just for the record:
Crumb is an excellent father and he has a very strong bond with his daughter.
I grew up in a military family, my father was seperated from us many times and for up to 2 years at a time, and even though he was a strict SOB, he was a damn good parent!
It's nobody's business whether we're married or not, but since it's all out there, we are engaged, have been for a long time, but we will do what we want when we want and nobody's gonna tell us different and it doesn't concern us what anyone else thinks!
We are well aware of our childs immune system, hiking in elevation, sun, wind, snow, yaddi yadda and FYI there is a whole community of mothers and fathers who hike with their small children and we would never put our children in a dangerous situation.
What Crumb was trying to say is that this website is advertised in Hiking and Backpacking Magazines, but nowhere does it prepare you for the rude and negative members that are sitting at the edge of your seat waiting to pounce and scutinize every post that is outside the relm of your own thinking. As though since you can access the internet makes you better than human.
Crumb was a hiker before a father, he's not putting us on hold, we want him to persue his dreams just like we want our daughter to! It will make him happy to be out there, he's worked his ass off for us and he deserves it! It will make him healthier physically and mentally, and we will be here when he gets back to tell us of his journey.
I though this site was an excellent source of information, thank you women of whiteblaze, but the boys turned me off a long time ago and since have not visited very often at all. And as for the CrumbSnatcher, he is well aware that implimenting me or including me in a WhiteBlaze post is a no no, so I shall block this site from my damn computer, it's for work, not horse play that stomps on human emotions and stirs up dust with over-inflated egos.
Oh, and Shelters suck, the only purpose I see for them, is that they have those shelter log books, but instead of taking in the natural beauty, everyone has to deface the shelter and surrounding trees with their names, as if having to pee in the trees is a way to mark your territory instead of appreciating it and protecting it for future generations, but I guess if you're in this for yourself, it doesn't matter who comes after you.
Don't start none, won't be none, have a nice life, I'd say play nice, but who would I be kidding? GAME ON!

Umm, I apologized already fer chrissakes.

bigmac_in
10-03-2008, 16:11
An awful lot of whining here. If you do not like shelters fior whatever reason, don't use them. Simple as that.

Ummm, the thread topic is "Reasons to avoid shelters", I think that means to reply with reasons to avoid shelters. Simple as that. ;)

rafe
10-03-2008, 16:27
Ummm, the thread topic is "Reasons to avoid shelters", I think that means to reply with reasons to avoid shelters. Simple as that. ;)

No dissenting opinions allowed? Glasnost is so 1990s.

Jack Tarlin
10-03-2008, 16:37
Um, actually, sport, the phrase "glasnost" dates to 1986 and generally refers to the latter part of the 1980's, and not the 90's.

Anything else dumb you want to share with us today? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
10-03-2008, 16:42
Thanx for the answer, Wolf, but for a guy who keeps ripping the event and tells us how boring the event is, why go 8 times? :D

This'll be by 14th, and I think the event is great!!

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 16:42

as OP, I say go for it...

Other than horrible weather and laziness expressed by some, you got another good reason to sleep in shelters?

mudcap
10-03-2008, 16:45
Um, actually, sport, the phrase "glasnost" dates to 1986 and generally refers to the latter part of the 1980's, and not the 90's.

Anything else dumb you want to share with us today? :rolleyes:

Good job Jack,give em hell.He Just likes spitting in the wind,must be quite a life .:rolleyes:

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 16:48
Good job Jack,give em hell.He Just likes spitting in the wind,must be quite a life .:rolleyes:

yep, he disagrees but never states a case, go figure. :-?

SteveJ
10-03-2008, 16:56
How about sarcasm or hyperbole?
Head butting is RIGHT OUT

chuckle...well, as one who rather enjoys a bit of well-placed sarcasm (I have 3 sons - all "gifted," with especially a gift for verbal reparte), and who is prone to hyperbole (but self-aware!), I'd say they're both perfectly acceptable - as long as they're "respectful." ;)

Lone Wolf
10-03-2008, 17:05
Thanx for the answer, Wolf, but for a guy who keeps ripping the event and tells us how boring the event is, why go 8 times? :D

This'll be by 14th, and I think the event is great!!

huh? what are you talking about?

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 17:09
huh? what are you talking about?

i think he cross-posted - should have been in gathering thread

Jack Tarlin
10-03-2008, 17:15
Whoops. Tin Man's right, too many balls in the air at the moment.

The comment was about the Gathering, where I hope to see lots of friends, old and new.

Homer&Marje
10-03-2008, 17:38
Someone asked for more reasons "to" sleep in shelters... personally I enjoy the fire pit, understandably some people prefer to use it as a litter box, I pack all my trash out. It's funny how a lot of people I have met, thru hikers or not that love to burn plastic in the fire.... erks my nerve every time.

The reason I like the fire pit, vs. making my own at a tent site is sheer safety and a little convenience. The pit I don't have to think about, if I make my own pit in the woods I dig a hole, put rocks around it and constantly worry about sparks flying out into nearby leaves. Not that I won't do it if fires are permitted, but I like the pits.

There are many other reasons....but I'll probly get lynched again for them.

Hooch
10-03-2008, 17:49
The reason I like the fire pit, vs. making my own at a tent site is sheer safety and a little convenience. The pit I don't have to think about, if I make my own pit in the woods I dig a hole, put rocks around it and constantly worry about sparks flying out into nearby leaves. Not that I won't do it if fires are permitted, but I like the pits.

So you're saying that you don't have to worry about sparks flying out of the fire pit and that there are no nearby leaves at shelters? I'm thinking you're on the wrong track here man. Just sayin'.

rafe
10-03-2008, 18:14
as OP, I say go for it...

Other than horrible weather and laziness expressed by some, you got another good reason to sleep in shelters?

I have no particular interest in "defending" shelters. Nor do I have any interest in "bashing" them. I assume that any hiker encountering a shelter on a hiking trail can make his or her own decision on using or not using the shelter -- without prejudice from other hiker's opinions. Simple.

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 18:34
I have no particular interest in "defending" shelters. Nor do I have any interest in "bashing" them. I assume that any hiker encountering a shelter on a hiking trail can make his or her own decision on using or not using the shelter -- without prejudice from other hiker's opinions. Simple.

I have read a lot of reasonably expressed reasons not to sleep in a shelter. If you call that bashing, well that's your call. :rolleyes:

Phreak
10-03-2008, 18:55
Well stated Terrapin.

envirodiver
10-03-2008, 20:35
Personally I prefer not to sleep in shelters with a bunch of folks that I do not know. In the winter I will sleep in an empty shelter, but the mice are a pain in the tail.

I like my tent, it's my space and mine alone.

Bottom line is who cares if you do or don't?

camojack
10-03-2008, 21:03
I have no particular interest in "defending" shelters. Nor do I have any interest in "bashing" them.
So, since you "have no particular interest" in defending shelters or bashing them, you're just responding because you can?!

weary
10-03-2008, 21:42
Shelters are fun, enjoyable, occasionally avoid carrying a wet tent, and provide a chance to meet and relate to others on the trail. What's not to like? Mice, bugs, farts, occasional jerks. Take your choice.

Weary

Egads
10-03-2008, 22:57
Time to put this sorry thread behind and go hiking:banana

BTW, no shelters on this trail

rafe
10-03-2008, 23:02
So, since you "have no particular interest" in defending shelters or bashing them, you're just responding because you can?!

And your post, addressed to me, accomplishes what, exactly? :-?

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 23:05

more than you have contributed to this thread... :rolleyes:

people have heard the choices - shelters, take 'em or leave 'em

rafe
10-03-2008, 23:10
I understand your frustration, Mister Tin Man. You'd like a world of assenting voices, and discount the dissenting voices. What a sad world it must be for you.

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 23:26
I understand your frustration, Mister Tin Man. You'd like a world of assenting voices, and discount the dissenting voices. What a sad world it must be for you.

hmm, i just said, "shelters, take 'em or leave leave 'em". oh, well, seems like most folks here have a position i can respect. :)

bigmac_in
10-03-2008, 23:33

I was responding to Lump's post about "whining". Seems to me I'm not whining about shelters, just responding to the thread's original intent.

ed bell
10-03-2008, 23:39
I have read a lot of reasonably expressed reasons not to sleep in a shelter. If you call that bashing, well that's your call. :rolleyes:

more than you have contributed to this thread... :rolleyes:

people have heard the choices - shelters, take 'em or leave 'em

C'mon fellas, relax. No post quoted above has anything to do with "reasons to avoid shelters". Allow me to suggest that if you enjoy shelters and are frustrated by the negative posts relative to your feelings in this thread, submit a post about your positive experiences or views about shelters. If you agree with the OP add to the discussion by giving your opinion or point of view. This is downright simple. Lets continue to keep the the personal jabs, attacks, slights, insults, and such out of our posts. The back and forth crap that can insue is not wanted or allowed. This forum is usually immune to this kind of banter. In the future please refrain from taking advantage of that fact.

Thanks,
ed

Homer&Marje
10-03-2008, 23:41
So you're saying that you don't have to worry about sparks flying out of the fire pit and that there are no nearby leaves at shelters? I'm thinking you're on the wrong track here man. Just sayin'.

Like many things it follows the laws of probability... most of the time, especially now after a busy hiking season, the supply of firewood laying around is low, the fire pit has a trampled path around it from stoners poking the fire and cell phone users looking for service.... so I don't see a "responsible fire getting out of control at most shelters. There are plenty that don't have fire pits because fires are not allowed.

Personally I am going to bed.... waking up in the morning...and I am going to hike into a shelter, in the Whites, With Marje and Walker Skinny Ranger, and have a good few days. Should have lots of shelter pics and foliage pics when I get back... course, I think the foliage ones might get more views:D

Did you know that mice live near foliage? And sometimes foliage gets dirt on it from the woods? And a lot of times tics hang out on foliage and can get on you?

All things that should concern us apparently HYOH:D

Homer&Marje
10-03-2008, 23:43
C'mon fellas, relax. No post quoted above has anything to do with "reasons to avoid shelters". Allow me to suggest that if you enjoy shelters and are frustrated by the negative posts relative to your feelings in this thread, submit a post about your positive experiences or views about shelters. If you agree with the OP add to the discussion by giving your opinion or point of view. This is downright simple. Lets continue to keep the the personal jabs, attacks, slights, insults, and such out of our posts. The back and forth crap that can insue is not wanted or allowed. This forum is usually immune to this kind of banter. In the future please refrain from taking advantage of that fact.

Thanks,
ed

I did that you called my poll pointless and silly. ( not exact words but something along those lines)

Not trying to be a jerk... just looking for consistency as always.

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 23:47
i think many have expressed why they don't, or do, stay in shelters, which is fine, but i am not sure if anyone got anything out of it except take offense where none was intended.

anyone coming through the northern ny or ct sections of the AT, let me know when you are in the area and i'll bring some beers out to a a shelter to discuss further. :)

ed bell
10-04-2008, 00:02
I did that you called my poll pointless and silly. ( not exact words but something along those lines)

Not trying to be a jerk... just looking for consistency as always.Do you really want me to clarify my remark? I thought I was very clear in the other thread. I'd be happy to go over it again.

ed bell
10-04-2008, 00:06
BTW, in fairness to Homer&Marge, I called his poll the Worst. Poll. Ever. and went on to explain why.

rafe
10-04-2008, 00:18
BTW, in fairness to Homer&Marge, I called his poll the Worst. Poll. Ever. and went on to explain why.

And I believe in making that judgment, you hadn't read this thread carefully, or you'd have understood the rationale behind the (seemingly bizarre and pejorative) choices he presented. Hint: the wording of at least one or two of the choices were pulled verbatim from comments on this thread.

When given the opportunity to register their opinions anonymously, in Homer's poll, the results were markedly different from what you find on this thread. Which gets back to my issue of group (mob) psychology and all that. (In more colloquial terms, a clusterf***.)

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 00:23

You know what. I went to the other thread, read all the posts "AGAIN" and yes you went on to explain it.

And I was gonna cut, and paste, and post it here, and try and say no I was right...but then, who needs it. People keep posting more complaints about each other than about shelters, All I did was take the advice you gave later in the post, and STILL caught hell for it.

You said my choices were unrealistic, yet the words filth ridden mongrel holes was actually a compilation of words pieced together through this thread, so really not that unrealistic.

This thread, even I will say, has turned into the filth ridden mongrel hole. And look we're at the center of it, sitting at a shelter picnic table, discussing semantics. At least it's not POLITICS!!!!

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 00:24
And I believe in making that judgment, you hadn't read this thread carefully, or you'd have understood the rationale behind the (seemingly bizarre and pejorative) choices he presented. Hint: the wording of at least one or two of the choices were pulled verbatim from comments on this thread.

When given the opportunity to register their opinions anonymously, in Homer's poll, the results were markedly different from what you find on this thread. Which gets back to my issue of group (mob) psychology and all that. (In more colloquial terms, a clusterf***.)

At least someone pays attention. I didn't even see your post before I put that up.

Tin Man
10-04-2008, 00:32
two peas in a pod :rolleyes:

ed bell
10-04-2008, 00:34
You know what. I went to the other thread, read all the posts "AGAIN" and yes you went on to explain it.

And I was gonna cut, and paste, and post it here, and try and say no I was right...but then, who needs it. People keep posting more complaints about each other than about shelters, All I did was take the advice you gave later in the post, and STILL caught hell for it.

You said my choices were unrealistic, yet the words filth ridden mongrel holes was actually a compilation of words pieced together through this thread, so really not that unrealistic.

This thread, even I will say, has turned into the filth ridden mongrel hole. And look we're at the center of it, sitting at a shelter picnic table, discussing semantics. At least it's not POLITICS!!!!A poll is meant to sample a response to a question or statement. We all realize that. There is no "right or wrong" about that. My problem was with the wording of your poll. I provided my alternative choices after saying your poll did not have a comprehensive range of responses.

ed bell
10-04-2008, 00:46

When given the opportunity to register their opinions anonymously, in Homer's poll, the results were markedly different from what you find on this thread. Which gets back to my issue of group (mob) psychology and all that. (In more colloquial terms, a clusterf***.)I read this thread in it's entirety. I recognized the similar wording in Homer&Marge's poll responses. I merely stated that providing a poll with the choices he presented would not provide any concrete results if he wanted to find out what folks were thinking and I provided a better range of responses IMO.

ed bell
10-04-2008, 00:49
At least someone pays attention. I didn't even see your post before I put that up.Pay attention to this: let's get back on topic.
Thanks

camojack
10-04-2008, 01:52
Do you generally respond to one question with another? :D

The point was, since you weren't taking a stand either way, your post was therefore pointless...

rafe
10-04-2008, 03:04
Give it a rest, Camo.

Hoop Time
10-04-2008, 06:53
A poll is meant to sample a response to a question or statement. We all realize that. There is no "right or wrong" about that. My problem was with the wording of your poll. I provided my alternative choices after saying your poll did not have a comprehensive range of responses.

Polls without a comprehensive range of responses are par for the course. Any poll that actually covered every possible response would result in such splintered results that there probably would not be enough responses to most, if not all, options to render them statistically valid.

I have not read H&M's poll, but for my response to be 100 percent valid he would have to offer an "Never stayed in one thus reserve comment until I do" choice.

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 07:11
Pay attention to this: let's get back on topic.
Thanks

Pardon me, in contrast to most here, I have been right on topic. And my poll provided "ME" with the exact definitive results I was looking for.

And that is that most people will still at a shelter, it really depends on who you are, where you are, who's there, what mood your in...etc...lot of determining factors

In fact I am hiking to a shelter in a few hours so I will come back with a comprehensive report on all mice dropping reports and will call in any nefarious activities going on to the local "Code of Conduct Police". Now being formed in another thread:D

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 07:17
New list of choices for poll.

1. yes
2. No
3. Maybe
4. If there is no dogs there.
5. If there is no people there.
6. If there are no mice there.
7. If the floor has been mopped.
8. If the floor has been at least swept.
9. If the weather is bad.
10. If my tent is wet.
11. If I have a hemorrhoid.
12. If my kids are with me.
13. If my wife is with me.
14. If I am on a thru hike.
15. If I am on a section hike.
16. If I am on an overnighter.
17. If I am packing in beer.
18. If I want to make friends with drifters.
19. If I forgot my map.
20. If the guidebook said I had to
21. If it's winter.
22. If it's spring.
23. If it's summer.
24. If it's fall.
25. Anyone get the point. Enough choices for you all?

superman
10-04-2008, 07:35
Pardon me, in contrast to most here, I have been right on topic. And my poll provided "ME" with the exact definitive results I was looking for.

And that is that most people will still at a shelter, it really depends on who you are, where you are, who's there, what mood your in...etc...lot of determining factors

In fact I am hiking to a shelter in a few hours so I will come back with a comprehensive report on all mice dropping reports and will call in any nefarious activities going on to the local "Code of Conduct Police". Now being formed in another thread:D
OK, that does it...your on the "Code Committee.":D (The secret criteria is that if you mention it ...your on it.):banana

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 08:17
OK, that does it...your on the "Code Committee.":D (The secret criteria is that if you mention it ...your on it.):banana

SWeeeeeeeet. "Reason to avoid shelters"

I am designating the code of conduct:D

Oh how I love satire.

superman
10-04-2008, 09:07
SWeeeeeeeet. "Reason to avoid shelters"

I am designating the code of conduct:D

Oh how I love satire.

LMAO, yeah by the powers vested in me...um...that would be none. How ever, being on "The Committee" you can designate who the funny looking people are.:bananaand that is worth a dancing banana!

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 09:15
I hold the power of the snore.... apparently it clears shelters out. Who knew:rolleyes:

Three Ponds Shelter, right off Rt 25 in NH. All mongrel fearers keep away:D

saimyoji
10-04-2008, 10:10
quick summary: same old argument rehashed for the umpteenth time; bickering about who's opinions are more valid, vitriol and rancor abound... welcome back to the old WB.

Vitriol and rancor: I missed you.

BTW: shelters are just fine. you should stay in them and leave me the good tent spots.

Tin Man
10-04-2008, 10:20
BTW: shelters are just fine. you should stay in them and leave me the good tent spots.

save me a tent site and we can go over to the firepit at the shelter together and tell mice stories: "remember the time i told the mice to go crap in the privy and they used that hiker from mass' hat instead. funny thing is, he either didn't notice or didn't care" :)

camojack
10-04-2008, 13:06
Give it a rest, Camo.
Maybe you should try taking your own advice sometime. :-?

Hoop Time
10-05-2008, 11:52
LMAO, yeah by the powers vested in me...um...that would be none. How ever, being on "The Committee" you can designate who the funny looking people are.:bananaand that is worth a dancing banana!

If there is anything more obnoxious than shelter mice, it is dancing bananas and other lame animated forum icons such as :dance:welcome:datz:bse:jumpand :clap

Homer&Marje
10-05-2008, 16:37
Just got back from New Hampshire. Did not stay in the planned shelter due to a boy scout group of 15 crammed in the shelter with 3 tents outside of it.

GLADLY used a tent spot 1/4 mile down the trail... Fantastic weather and sites up in NH this weekend.

A-Train
10-05-2008, 16:45
Just got back from New Hampshire. Did not stay in the planned shelter due to a boy scout group of 15 crammed in the shelter with 3 tents outside of it.

GLADLY used a tent spot 1/4 mile down the trail... Fantastic weather and sites up in NH this weekend.

Glad to hear the scouts are respectfully abiding by the LNT principles and using common sense and respect.

Homer&Marje
10-05-2008, 16:58
Glad to hear the scouts are respectfully abiding by the LNT principles and using common sense and respect.

It's funny, the spot I stayed at was much better suited for them...showed up to a bunch of kids running around and 1 of the three scout leaders out back "reprimanding" a few kids for running up the hill behind the hut.... I politely asked how many "cub scouts" he had with him and he very rudely replied, 15 so theres no room, and they are BOY SCOUTS.

Ok. Bye.

dessertrat
10-05-2008, 17:13

So far as I have always been told, it is a major breach of etiquette to use a shelter when you are in a large group. Boy Scout leaders should enforce "tents for everyone" when in a large group, and leave the shelters for small groups or individuals.

Homer&Marje
10-05-2008, 17:17
So far as I have always been told, it is a major breach of etiquette to use a shelter when you are in a large group. Boy Scout leaders should enforce "tents for everyone" when in a large group, and leave the shelters for small groups or individuals.

Tell you the truth, I have never really run into the situation....so I didn't put up a fit about it...just walked away. But we were only 3 people. They had something like 15-18 people in and around a very small shelter designated for 8. There were much much better spots on the whole trail for them, and their bow saws. They had enough fire wood to build an addition:D hopefully they did.

Hooch
10-05-2008, 19:28
BTW: shelters are just fine. you should stay in them and leave me the good tent spots.Amen, leaves more room for a good hammock and tarp! :D:rolleyes:

ed bell
10-05-2008, 20:37

GLADLY used a tent spot 1/4 mile down the trail... Fantastic weather and sites up in NH this weekend.You get burn't, you get learn't. Thanks for the real time example.

Lone Wolf
10-05-2008, 20:51

nope. first come, first served for all dirty wooden boxes on the AT

taildragger
10-06-2008, 00:32
I thought hiking was all about going out into nature and enjoying the world with a minimum amount of man made crap (permanent structures, electronics, things along those lines). If thats the case, why the hell are there shelters in the middle of the woods? I think that they are a horrible eyesore, wth is the real point of them? Catering to tourons who don't want to deal with the chores involved in backcountry camping? This is why I like hiking out west, I don't have to deal with this crap where I go, and if I see other hikers, its been a few days, so that is reason enough in and of itself to camp together and tell stories at night, no shelter needed.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind torching most of the shelters trails, keeps the idjuts out of the woods, and it makes for a very nice campfire, specially when you see the flaming mice come running out.

Dances with Mice
10-06-2008, 06:23
I wish every shelter on the Trail was overflowing with youth groups every weekend.

It'd be a better world.

rafe
10-06-2008, 06:31
I wish every shelter on the Trail was overflowing with youth groups every weekend.

It'd be a better world.

Hear, hear! I smile when it see groups of young kids in the woods. Or even "hoods in the woods," as I've heard them derisively referred to.

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 06:43
Hear, hear! I smile when it see groups of young kids in the woods. Or even "hoods in the woods," as I've heard them derisively referred to.

we take our scout troop one weekend a month, usually not on the AT, teach them how to lead, hike, camp, cook, cleanup and survive a couple of days without electronics

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 07:00

Wasn't on the AT. Some of us hike other trails:D Just for reference, I don't care that they were in the shelter. I don't care that they were a large group and maybe should have chose somewhere else.

I enjoyed the spot I ended up in more I think, although there is a better view of the sunrise from the shelter. I am adaptable. I went expecting to stay in the shelter, had my tent with me...

And I think it's great that a group of kids got to go out into nature...the whole reason I went this time was to bring Walker Skinny Ranger back up to the Whites. He had such a good time in Franconia that he wanted to go back. He is 13 and stuck to his I-pod, MySpace, PsP, Guitar Hero,etc... etc... classic 13 year old. But I remember being the same way (less technology) until I was introduced to the world of backpacking at 12.

He lives in a crap environment at home with parents that hate each other and fight and swear in front of him all the time...given the opportunity to walk in the woods was a no brainer for him. We did want to stay in the shelter so that he could experience it for the first time, so that maybe he can formulate his own opinion on shelters. Luckily, he's not a WB'er or is opinion might be skewed:D

Blue Jay
10-06-2008, 08:42
FWIW, I wouldn't mind torching most of the shelters trails, keeps the idjuts out of the woods, and it makes for a very nice campfire, specially when you see the flaming mice come running out.

WOW, you can't mention anything political, but you are allowed to advocate arson. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that this guy is an idiot, it's just that this is a very strange web site.

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 08:46
WOW, you can't mention anything political, but you are allowed to advocate arson. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that this guy is an idiot, it's just that this is a very strange web site.

i think taildragger was joking, and perhaps left out the smilies :) the obvious giveaway is that everyone knows roasted mice are awful, they are much better fried in beer batter

superman
10-06-2008, 09:09
i think taildragger was joking, and perhaps left out the smilies :) the obvious giveaway is that everyone knows roasted mice are awful, they are much better fried in beer batter

Is it political to mention Julia Childs? She said that the important thing is to get all the fur off them and de-bone them. Otherwise the mice are like eating small, crunchy tennis balls.
You can tell I'm serious because I didn't use a smiley face.

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 09:26
Is it political to mention Julia Childs? She said that the important thing is to get all the fur off them and de-bone them. Otherwise the mice are like eating small, crunchy tennis balls.
You can tell I'm serious because I didn't use a smiley face.

Suggested I believe was to roast the hair off with the fire first... then midway through cooking, remove the skin as a further measure. Should be easy to take off after about 8 minutes over the fire. De boning them is not necessary, take the bones afterward and put them in the fire, making them burnt and brittle, that way you can eat them without risking splintering. That way insuring that you get all the possible nutrients out of your backwoods meal. You figure it out green guy? yellow guy with hand on chin? blue guy with quirky look? Or serious

taildragger
10-06-2008, 10:09

Nothing political about a lil fire :welcome

Yeah, emoticons just aren't my thing :confused:

I still hold that the rodents alone are reason enough to skip shelters, the mice are pretty bad to :jump

weary
10-06-2008, 10:27
I thought hiking was all about going out into nature and enjoying the world with a minimum amount of man made crap (permanent structures, electronics, things along those lines). If thats the case, why the hell are there shelters in the middle of the woods? I think that they are a horrible eyesore, wth is the real point of them?.....
It's called tradition. The first section of trail built was in New York, where Adirondack shelters had long been used. As other sections opened the trail builders were not about to do less than New York trail builders had done.

Plus trail maintainers got tired of endlessly clipping brush. It's more fun to cut down giant trees and fashion them into a three sided shelter. It's a way to revert to a pioneer existence for a few weekends in the summer.

Well, that's how it began. Many shelters today are prefab affairs, or elaborate, semi houses, though Maine continues to occasionally build the old way. The new shelters on Bigelow, however, used rough-cut lumber flown in by helicopter. The shelters are too high on the mountain to have a crop of big trees.

Some hikers complain about youngsters on the trail. But that old instinct of boyhood to build something rustic remains, even in most complainers.

Of course the official explanation is that shelters concentrate use, and thus keep other sections of the trail more wild. It's true. But now you know the rest of the story.

Weary

Ender
10-06-2008, 10:31

Agreed.

It'd be a better world.

Agreed.

kanga
10-06-2008, 11:17

and yet you are still here...

neo
10-06-2008, 12:28
who needs shelters,i dont my my tarp and hammock is stealthy,comfortable,i dont like shelter:cool:neo

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 15:54
and yet you are still here...

Lot of depth and "On Topic" information coming from your post too. So, you didn't come to talk of shelter issues, just to weakly point out that Terrapin, who actually provided useful info to this thread.

Shelters suck. And I love 'em

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 16:00
Lot of depth and "On Topic" information coming from your post too. So, you didn't come to talk of shelter issues, just to weakly point out that Terrapin, who actually provided useful info to this thread.

define useful

take a position, which is it?

kanga
10-06-2008, 16:06

two perfectly good reasons to avoid them...
see, i'm contributing

superman
10-06-2008, 16:08
define useful

take a position, which is it?

Um... is that like some of us who love to hate shelters? er...is that he hates to love shelters? Or is it yet another Seinfeld episode of "much to do about nothing?"

taildragger
10-06-2008, 16:13
Just by the way some of the shelter lovers sound on the net, I'm glad that I just pitch a tent, or a tarp, wouldn't want to stay anywhere near some of them

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:14
I've never slept in a shelter since my hammock is not really safe to hang in a shelter (for the shelter). My kids do like to go into shelters and read the logs. I do sometimes eat at a shelter because water is often nearby. But I will always move on down the trail a little before making camp. I think Kanga feels the same way, so I will contribute for her here with my post.

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 16:15
Um... is that like some of us who love to hate shelters? er...is that he hates to love shelters? Or is it yet another Seinfeld episode of "much to do about nothing?"

it's about nothing --> no substance, no style, no class, nothing

kanga
10-06-2008, 16:16
my reasons to avoid shelters:

1. mice will eat through your pack while you're asleep.
2. ants will crawl all over you while you sleep thanks to the entitled fat **** next to you leaving his crumbs all over the place.
3. you don't have any room due to the entitled fat **** next to you spreading everything he owns over 10 sq yds.
4. you don't get to sleep for more than 45 continuous minutes due to the entitled fat **** next to you running his mouth all night.
5. you get muddy bootprints all over your stuff because of the entitled fat **** next to you can't see past his belly to where his feet are.

in fact the only thing that i can see as a benefit to shelters, besides an inordinate amount of laziness, is that due to the nasty skank fat **** next to you, you really can't smell yourself anymore.

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:17
it's about nothing --> no substance, no style, no class, nothing

Really nothing huh, so does this mean the entire thread is null and void? I thought you had a valid first post. Then other unnamed individuals caused it to spiral out of control.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 16:17
shelters are for inexperienced newbies to the outdoors. a real outdoorsy hiker wouldn't even consider staying in such a dirty, hard, cramped box.

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:18
shelters are for inexperienced newbies to the outdoors. a real outdoorsy hiker wouldn't even consider staying in such a dirty, hard, cramped box.

Agreed. A real outdoorsman prefers the actual outdoors, does he not?

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 16:19

2. ants will crawl all over you while you sleep thanks to the entitled fat **** next to you leaving his crumbs all over the place.
3. you don't have any room due to the entitled fat **** next to you spreading everything he owns over 10 sq yds.
4. you don't get to sleep for more than 45 continuous minutes due to the entitled fat **** next to you running his mouth all night.
5. you get muddy bootprints all over your stuff because of the entitled fat **** next to you can't see past his belly to where his feet are.

in fact the only thing that i can see as a benefit to shelters, besides an inordinate amount of laziness, is that due to the nasty skank fat **** next to you, you really can't smell yourself anymore.

http://samueljscott.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/homer_simpson.jpg

kanga
10-06-2008, 16:20

that's him!!! how did you find him?

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 16:21
Really nothing huh, so does this mean the entire thread is null and void? I thought you had a valid first post. Then other unnamed individuals caused it to spiral out of control.

i was referring to fat **** and his buddy :)

Cool AT Breeze
10-06-2008, 16:23
Shelters are nasty.I saw a guy in Parisburg with staph on his back. He continued hiking and staying in shelters. That just confirmed to me that shelters are nasty and they suck. IMHO shelter areas should just have a picknic table with a roof a fire ring (no grill) and some flat ground for tents.

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=707274#post707274)

http://samueljscott.files.wordpress....er_simpson.jpg (http://samueljscott.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/homer_simpson.jpg)

Thank you Kanga for finally contributing!

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:24
i was referring to fat **** and his buddy :)

Yes Sir, thank you!

superman
10-06-2008, 16:32
I say we treat them all like Ben Suc!

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 17:13

I'm sorry. I didn't know that was you.

kanga
10-06-2008, 17:18
I'm sorry. I didn't know that was you.

lol! :D

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 17:30

Wow, if the mods don't consider that a personal attack, I don't know what is.

I could care less if you want to or don't want to stay in a shelter.

I also could care less about your ability to sit at home with your big pretty set of internet balls hangin out with you, trying to judge me as a human through the computer. A little consistency in the way people post is all I ask.

Considering how many times people have bitched at me for going off topic, this thread is a shining example of the crap we, yes I said we, put on this site.

I gotta good way of dealing with people like you in person. It hangs from my sternum strap. Find a picture, oh wait apparently you have...Sorry my small gut offended you, I'm actually in fantastic shape.

So crawl back into your shell of a world and don't let me offend you... just keep it on topic, that's all the comment was about. Didn't mean to send you into a menstrual tantrum about my hygiene. Which, is just fine...I don't stink any more than someone else in the mountains.

But thanks for your concern...yours truly, Fat ****.

bigmac_in
10-06-2008, 17:41
I still don't get it - the topic is "reasons to avoid shelters", but anyone that doesn't like shelters, and says so, gets some kind of packsniffer response?

I'm confused by this entire thread.

kanga
10-06-2008, 17:42
Wow, if the mods don't consider that a personal attack, I don't know what is.

I could care less if you want to or don't want to stay in a shelter.

I also could care less about your ability to sit at home with your big pretty set of internet balls hangin out with you, trying to judge me as a human through the computer. A little consistency in the way people post is all I ask.

Considering how many times people have bitched at me for going off topic, this thread is a shining example of the crap we, yes I said we, put on this site.

I gotta good way of dealing with people like you in person. It hangs from my sternum strap. Find a picture, oh wait apparently you have...Sorry my small gut offended you, I'm actually in fantastic shape.

So crawl back into your shell of a world and don't let me offend you... just keep it on topic, that's all the comment was about. Didn't mean to send you into a menstrual tantrum about my hygiene. Which, is just fine...I don't stink any more than someone else in the mountains.

i'm sorry you got your panties in a wad. i wasn't talking about you specifically, just obnoxious hikers in general. if you include yourself in that catagory, well, there's not much i can do about that is there?
as for meeting me in the mountains, i doubt you have much to worry about since i don't spend my time in shelters.
have a nice day...:D

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 17:47
I still don't get it - the topic is "reasons to avoid shelters", but anyone that doesn't like shelters, and says so, gets some kind of packsniffer response?

I'm confused by this entire thread.

Every offense needs a defense. I gave plenty of reasons to avoid shelters, Also gave plenty of reasons to stay in them.

Guess I am in the maybe column of the pole. If people think mice are bad, don't move to Providence...I work there....In one of the nicest restaurants...and the rats in the back alley are bigger than chihuahuas...and they bark louder.

Think about that the next time your at a Fine Dining restaurant:D

S*** with feet live everywhere. Sometimes they have 4 feet.

bigmac_in
10-06-2008, 17:50
Now see - I thought I'd wait and read about that in the "reasons to avoid fine dining" thread. . .

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 17:58
Now see - I thought I'd wait and read about that in the "reasons to avoid fine dining" thread. . .

Too political I'm sure.:D For now I'm going to avoid shelters to piss everyone off in their tent sites. Maybe we will see a massive effort next year to clean up the shelters and keep them mouse free:-?

superman
10-06-2008, 18:05
Too political I'm sure.:D For now I'm going to avoid shelters to piss everyone off in their tent sites. Maybe we will see a massive effort next year to clean up the shelters and keep them mouse free:-?

Before I started my hike in 2000 I was following the hikers who started early in their journals on Trailplace. One of the guys kept talking about the body count of a mousetrap competition he was having with another guy. The folks on trailplace kept going on about how mean the guy was, etc etc. For all the mice they killed with their traps it had no effect on the mice population. It turns out that mice are not an endangered species.

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 18:33
Before I started my hike in 2000 I was following the hikers who started early in their journals on Trailplace. One of the guys kept talking about the body count of a mousetrap competition he was having with another guy. The folks on trailplace kept going on about how mean the guy was, etc etc. For all the mice they killed with their traps it had no effect on the mice population. It turns out that mice are not an endangered species.

Probably more body mass in mice on this planet than there is humans... They can have it. I'm moving.:D

smokymtnsteve
10-06-2008, 18:36
does that include voles?

woodsy
10-06-2008, 18:38
Homer&Marje (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=17846) This message is hidden because Homer&Marje is on your ignore list
What did he say? Oh, nevermind...LOL:rolleyes:

Hooch
10-06-2008, 18:52
Wow, if the mods don't consider that a personal attack, I don't know what is.......I don't see your name mentioned anywhere in that post at all. If you have a guilty conscience and consider yourself a fat ****, then that's on you dude. If you don't like the post, don't read it. Simple as that. Kanga's post has good intel in it, makes good sense to me. All very valid resons NOT to stay in those mouse infested garbage dumps.

As for my contribution, shelters are packsniffer teritory. That's just the way it is.

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 19:23
I don't see your name mentioned anywhere in that post at all. If you have a guilty conscience and consider yourself a fat ****, then that's on you dude. If you don't like the post, don't read it. Simple as that. Kanga's post has good intel in it, makes good sense to me. All very valid resons NOT to stay in those mouse infested garbage dumps.

As for my contribution, shelters are packsniffer teritory. That's just the way it is.

Don't consider myself fat at all. Just like you shouldn't consider yourself ignorant or completely off base. No I wasn't directly mentioned. Although I have a feeling.....

And again, good stay out of them...

fishinfred
10-06-2008, 19:24
SHELTERS =
Burpin,fartin,sneezin,snoring shacks full of germs to be used as a last resort in bad weather!
JMO
To each their own ....

Hooch
10-06-2008, 19:36
Although I have a feeling..... Probably just gas. Try Beano befor each meal, should help out some. :banana

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 19:57
Probably just gas. Try Beano befor each meal, should help out some. :banana

Before you judge me take your racist quotes off WB, not too mention the Political reference. We should have let the south Secede. Then the south would be 5 trillion dollars in debt because of a Texas governor. "The south shall rise again, just like methane off a steaming pile of...."

Sorry, did you consider it yourself it that post? Never had to take Beano in my life... apparently you have.

Hooch
10-06-2008, 20:05
Before you judge me take your racist quotes off WB, not too mention the Political reference. We should have let the south Secede. Then the south would be 5 trillion dollars in debt because of a Texas governor. "The south shall rise again, just like methane off a steaming pile of...."

Sorry, did you consider it yourself it that post? Never had to take Beano in my life... apparently you have.It was just a joke, but PM sent in response just the same since you want to get all serious about it.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 20:11
It was just a joke, but PM sent in response just the same since you want to get all serious about it.

Homes loves to send PMs to folks. he has NO sense of humor

Hooch
10-06-2008, 20:13
Homes loves to send PMs to folks. he has NO sense of humorImagine that. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 20:17
he has NO sense ...

...at all

taildragger
10-06-2008, 20:18

Hrmm, once again, another valid point for reasons to avoid shelters. Hows that pack smell holmes:-?

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 20:21
Hrmm, once again, another valid point for reasons to avoid shelters. Hows that pack smell holmes:-?

just like his favorite shelters, toot sweet, no doubt

Hooch
10-06-2008, 20:35
Homie takes stuff waaaaaay too seriously.

taildragger
10-06-2008, 20:39
Homie takes stuff waaaaaay too seriously.

I bet Homey D. loves the shelters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QhuBIkPXn0

Hooch
10-06-2008, 20:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QhuBIkPXn0 Priceless! :clap:clap:clap

saimyoji
10-06-2008, 21:21
Find a picture, oh wait apparently you have...Sorry my small gut offended you, I'm actually in fantastic shape.

Yes you are, don't let those bullies tell you you aren't. I think you look pretty hot actually. Too bad most of you is hidden behind that tree. I'll bet there's a third tree in that photo we can't see. :banana

Keep up the good fight homer. The truth shall set us free. ;);)

Nearly Normal
10-06-2008, 21:25
We should have let the south Secede.

Correction, that's South secede.

A-Train
10-06-2008, 21:30
I see the middle school mob has left Terrapin alone and moved on to Homer. I'm transfering to a new school :)

Egads
10-06-2008, 21:30
This thread is singlehandedly running down the neighborhood

Egads
10-06-2008, 21:31
I see the middle school mob has left Terrapin alone and moved on to Homer. I'm transferring to a new school :)

Terrapin's got his own thread now. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41898

A-Train
10-06-2008, 21:32

Says who? I guess I was a packsniffer all the way from Georgia to Maine. :-?

Hooch
10-06-2008, 21:34
Says who? I guess I was a packsniffer all the way from Georgia to Maine. :-?Y'all don't ge too serious. It's just a joke for chrissakes.

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 21:45
Y'all don't ge too serious. It's just a joke for chrissakes.

yep, but i am surprised shelters aren't left to thru-hikers since they probably don't notice the smell :D

superman
10-06-2008, 21:47
Most people have said that one of the redeeming qualities of a shelter is the availability of water. One of my pet peeves is those signs that say "water.2 mile" I assume that there is some central sign making place that just makes thousands of those .2 mile signs and they just nail them up regardless of the distance.:-?

OregonHiker
10-06-2008, 21:49
I see the middle school mob has left Terrapin alone and moved on to Homer. I'm transfering to a new school :)

Terp......
Keep your chin up and don't let the bastards get you down.
You are one of the good guys here on WB and well respected.

A-Train
10-06-2008, 21:49
Y'all don't ge too serious. It's just a joke for chrissakes.

If you make a matter o' fact statement, don't use an emoticon, and I personally don't know you, I'm gonna assume you're serious. No biggie. I'm not sweatin' it, that's why I used an emoticon. I'm just a packsniffer, ya know. :)

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 21:50
Don't consider myself fat at all. Just like you shouldn't consider yourself ignorant or completely off base. No I wasn't directly mentioned. Although I have a feeling.....

Ya know the old saying.....if the show fits, wear it; or in this case, if the description fits, defend yourself.

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 21:53
Terp......
Keep your chin up and don't let the bastards get you down.
You are one of the good guys here on WB and well respected.
So much so he has his own thread now!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 21:55
So much so he has his own thread now!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

shhh, he'll be wantin his own too :rolleyes:

mtt37849
10-06-2008, 23:32
One good thing about shelters... it saves the good tenting areas for people who know better.
:)
I agree, keep the shelters for the church groups and the tent areas for those who wish to camp in a tent.
But i'm sure there are reasons why one would perfer a shelter over tent.
To each his/her own i guess.

Heater
10-07-2008, 03:50
I just farted.

Thankyouverymuch. :p

Homer&Marje
10-07-2008, 06:58
Ya know the old saying.....if the show fits, wear it; or in this case, if the description fits, defend yourself.

Normally I don't wear a show. Occasionally I wear shoes. But that has to be completely different I am sure. I am 230 lbs. I'm not a skinny little twerp with a 7 lb pack:D But I have a few of those in my pack for snacks. You think that's unnecessary weight? Ah who cares, i'll just make them stay in the shelter with me.

shhh, he'll be wantin his own too :rolleyes:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh....... I'd like that. Since you are so creative at mocking people, start one for me. I'd be honored.

superman
10-07-2008, 06:58
I stopped at the shelter to talk to some hikers I knew. As I stood at the front of the shelter I leaned forward with my hands down on the floor. There happened to be a knot hole in the floor and a mouse bit me. My question is: did the mouse know how I felt about its home or would it have bit anyone?:-?

Homer&Marje
10-07-2008, 07:00
I stopped at the shelter to talk to some hikers I knew. As I stood at the front of the shelter I leaned forward with my hands down on the floor. There happened to be a knot hole in the floor and a mouse bit me. My question is: did the mouse know how I felt about its home or would it have bit anyone?:-?

Met the same mouse, he didn't bite me. Must be you:D

Ain't no mice in the shelters here in the NE lately, too cold at night, they stay curled up.

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 07:20
I also could care less about your ability to sit at home with your big pretty set of internet balls hangin out with you, trying to judge me

I gotta good way of dealing with people like you in person. It hangs from my sternum strap.

So crawl back into your shell

big tough guy threatening a woman

Homer&Marje
10-07-2008, 07:23
The comment was said in jest. And to tell you the truth... I could care less what you have to say LW. But again, thanks for the one liner. Troller

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 07:26
And to tell you the truth... I could care less what you have to say LW.

sure you do. hence all the cute PMs you send, hon

Homer&Marje
10-07-2008, 07:31
sure you do. hence all the cute PMs you send, hon

Havent sent you a PM in weeks, I guess you just miss them:D I only do that to try and get under your skin where the normal "arena" might not allow those weapons. You always win the peeing contest anyways. Sheez, you think that would be enough for a guy.:rolleyes:

Tin Man
10-07-2008, 07:37
Havent sent you a PM in weeks, I guess you just miss them:D I only do that to try and get under your skin where the normal "arena" might not allow those weapons. You always win the peeing contest anyways. Sheez, you think that would be enough for a guy.:rolleyes:

maybe if you stopped peeing all the time in front of others, you wouldn't have to hide behind your pm's :rolleyes:

Hooch
10-07-2008, 07:46
maybe if you stopped peeing all the time in front of others, you wouldn't have to hide behind your pm's :rolleyes:I'm pretty sure that those steaming piles of posts he leaves behind are a lot more than peeing. :D

woodsy
10-07-2008, 07:57
I'm pretty sure that those steaming piles of posts he leaves behind are a lot more than peeing. :D

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=17846)Homer&Marje (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=17846) This message is hidden because Homer&Marje is on your ignore list

Homer recommended to me via PM that i should put him on ignore, so i did.
Its great, y'all should try it!:D

Homer&Marje
10-07-2008, 08:23
[url="http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=17846"]

Homer recommended to me via PM that i should put him on ignore, so i did.
Its great, y'all should try it!:D

Yes. They should.

Hooch
10-07-2008, 08:28

Homey don't play dat!

warraghiyagey
10-07-2008, 08:29
Dooshsayswhat?

woodsy
10-07-2008, 08:39
Homey don't play dat!
Nice hiking outfit! Does that thing around his neck keep the shelter mice from climbing up in his face when eating?

Bulldawg
10-07-2008, 08:52
That is reason enough to avoid shelters.