PDA

View Full Version : when does new gear come out?

2009ThruHiker
09-30-2008, 13:39
When is new gear and shoes typically released by major manufactures? We are wondering how long to wait to complete our gear list for our AT thru.

Wags
10-01-2008, 13:23
as far as i know most of em put new stuff out every season

SloHiker
10-01-2008, 13:41
When is new gear and shoes typically released by major manufactures? We are wondering how long to wait to complete our gear list for our AT thru.

For many manufacturers it's late Fall through the first of the year ...... say sometime between November and January.

Blissful
10-01-2008, 13:47
The only thing with trusting in new gear now is there won't be the reviews on it until later when the hiking season revs up. Might be too late for your hike. But there's still good stuff out there and lots of reviews of gear as well.

rafe
10-01-2008, 13:53
It's entirely understandable that you'd want to check out the latest and greatest before you outfit yourself. But it's also a bit dangerous. Newest isn't always best. And it doesn't give you much time to field-test your choices. Just a thought.

taildragger
10-01-2008, 13:55
The new gear comes at right as the older gear becomes cheap and most people forget that there isn't much difference at all, sept maybe colour

D'Artagnan
10-01-2008, 14:26
In my experience, it always comes out right after you buy something you wish you could have the new version of. ;)

Feral Bill
10-01-2008, 14:49
Of course, when the new stuff comes out, the old, perfectly good ,and maybe better stuff goes on sale. Worth watching for.

mtnkngxt
10-01-2008, 15:32
Like everyone else said late fall. :banana How many weeks until late Fall?:-?

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2008, 15:45
A lot of places will start getting stuff in early or mid-Novemeber as they want to be stocked up by the time the Christamas season starts, i.e. immediately after Thanksgiving.

Note that to make room for the new product, many places will be having blowout sales just before the new goods arrive, so this can be a great time to save money on perfectly good items that happen to be this year's goods, and not 2009 stuff.

(Word to the wise: There'll be lots of blow-out sales at the On-Line shops as well, but caveat emptor......don't buy packs or footwear on-line unless you are 100% sure of what you want. These two items should almost always be purchased in an actual store, after you've been profesionally fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, and in my experience, you're best off with a small, independently owned shop. The best sale prices in the world don't do you any good if it turns out you've bought the wrong stuff, and
in many cases, sale items aren't returnable).

Summit
10-01-2008, 16:20
Clothing is updated seasonally - makes sense? All other 'gear' tends to aim at the late fall - Christmas buying frenzy time-frame.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-01-2008, 16:52
If it's MSR about 6 months after they say it will be. Backpacking is a year round activity, no draft, no preseason.