PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 Day Smokies Trip Recommendation

mts4602
09-30-2008, 15:02
I'm taking a friend of mine to the Smokies the weekend of Oct 11th. He's never been backpacking before, but is a not that out of shape 22 yr old college student like me.

I'm looking for a 3 or 4 day trip, preferably a loop. I'm guessing no more than 10 miles per day give or take a few.

I've been to Mt. Sterling a couple of times so I may do that area again...but I'm also looking for something new for myself.

I want to show him a good time and maybe get a future hiking partner out of it:D so what trails would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

MTS

smokymtnsteve
09-30-2008, 15:18
mt leconte is nice

drumbeat
09-30-2008, 16:07
Balsam Mt. area (loop) - Pin Oak Gap to Laural Gap shelter, Balsam mt. trail to Gunters Fork to Camel Gap over to AT to Cosby Knob shelter, Cosby knob shelter to Tricorner Knob shelter, back to Pin Oak Gap via Balsam mt. trail. Total of about 32 miles. Im doing this in 3 night/4 days.

Marta
09-30-2008, 18:07
I haven't really found an unpleasant trail in the Smokies yet.

The Mount Cammerer fire tower is really nice.

Walnut Bottoms (campsite 37) is a great place to camp, right there next to the creek. It's just a short walk from the parking at Big Creek, for an easy first or last day, to allow time for driving.

Down at the Fontana end of the park, the Eagle Creek Trail is kind of fun because you have to wade the stream over and over again. Definitely bring sandals or Crocs if you hike that trail.

If you go in at the middle of the park, you could work Clingman's Dome into the hike.

Too many choices!

Gray Blazer
09-30-2008, 20:09
Balsam Mt. area (loop) - Pin Oak Gap to Laural Gap shelter, Balsam mt. trail to Gunters Fork to Camel Gap over to AT to Cosby Knob shelter, Cosby knob shelter to Tricorner Knob shelter, back to Pin Oak Gap via Balsam mt. trail. Total of about 32 miles. Im doing this in 3 night/4 days.

That sounds like a winner.

mts4602
09-30-2008, 20:28

This sounds like a good idea. I might not do this exactly, but that's definitly a good loop.

I was thinking of going up to Mt. Sterling, then down Gunters Fork to #37. Then up low gap to the AT and down Chessnut Branch trail to the car.

smokymtnsteve
10-02-2008, 17:47

that is a good one and the maples should be showing good color in that area during the time period

Egads
10-02-2008, 22:21
I hiked from Smokemont to Pecks Corner on the AT via Chasteen Creek Tr & Hughes Ridge Tr, North to Tricorner Knob, the Balsam Mtn Tr to Laurel Gap, then West on the BMT to BC campsite 47, next day on Enloe Creek Tr & Chasteen back to Smokemont.

It's a nice hike with ridge walking, creeks, forest, & green tunnels. I hardly passed a soul except near the shelters. BC 47 is second to none in GSMNP.

IIRC, it's about 40-41 miles.

Rockhound
10-03-2008, 18:32
not a loop but you could always leave your car at Standing Bear Farm, catch a shuttle to Newfound Gap and hike back to it on the AT. that way it will be "all down hill" for you.

Serial 07
10-03-2008, 19:52
Mt. Cammerer is great...it has a 360 lookout hut with awesome views...better than most...i did the Little Big Creek trail and that was lovely too....

Chaco Taco
10-06-2008, 16:07
mt leconte is nice
Best trail in the park in my opinion. Also, the Road to Nowhere up Jonas and Hazel Creek are good one. Stop by campsite 90 on Lakeshore, great spot!!!

hurryinghoosier
10-06-2008, 20:51
Is hunting allowed in the Smokies?

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 20:53
Is hunting allowed in the Smokies?

that would be a bozo no-no

Egads
10-06-2008, 20:54
that would be a bozo no-no

The Wolf has a way with words

hurryinghoosier
10-07-2008, 11:45
I didnt want to hunt, I wanted to hike.

Marta
10-07-2008, 12:20
Because hunting isn't allowed in National Parks, the GSMNP is a great place to hike during hunting season.