PDA

View Full Version : MSR SimmerLite VS DragonFly

Roee Dotan
03-17-2004, 16:33
Guys, I need to choose a liquid stove.
Which should I choose between the Simmerlite and DragonFly ?
Leave the weight fact aside, lets talk about the cooking abilities.

I love cooking, and I want to be able to cook on LOW flame, as well as being able to boil water in a short time. And I want the stove to fucntion under rain, high speed winds, etc..

What is your recommendation between those 2 ?

( And I want MSR bcoz of the TITAN 0.8L titanium fuel bottle )

rickb
03-17-2004, 17:39
What is your recommendation between those 2 ?

Having read your entire post question very carefully, I think ist o no brainer-- the simmerlight.

Because its sooooo much lighter :clap

(It might be quieter, too. I don't have a clue, but a stove's noise can be one thing that people over look.)

Rick B

Jaybird
03-17-2004, 19:23
Which should I choose between the Simmerlite and DragonFly .................................................. .........................?

Roee

go with the SimmerLite! you wont be sorry.

MSR doesnt make a bad product.

good luck on your hike.

Glee
03-17-2004, 19:48
How good is the fuel supply and cost on the AT and overall. I was thinking of going with a pepsi type just because everyone seems to think the cost and supply of fuel is worth it beside the cost of the stove is free...

Thanks

screwysquirrel
03-18-2004, 01:10
I used to go simmerlite but I bought a coleman xtreme multi-fuel last month and used it last week in Neel's Gap and it worked pretty good. Easy to light and to adjust but I was only out for a few days, so I don't know how it will hold up on a thru.. I didn't really see how long a bottle of fuel would last. Guess I'll find out next month.

Peaks
03-18-2004, 09:22
How good is the fuel supply and cost on the AT and overall. I was thinking of going with a pepsi type just because everyone seems to think the cost and supply of fuel is worth it beside the cost of the stove is free...

Thanks

It's been posted elsewhere. Both white gas (coleman fuel) and alcohol are readily available along the AT. No an issue. Just read Wingfoot or the ALDHA Companion to figure out where. Typically sold in small quantities to refill your fuel bottle.

chomp
03-18-2004, 09:36
Which should I choose between the Simmerlite and DragonFly ?

This is really a no brainer since the Simmerlite is quieter, lighter and can simmer. I have used both and I believe the Simmerlite to be the superior product. I believe that the drawback to the simmerlite is that you have to use white gas, while you can use just about any fuel with the whisperlite, but I'm not positive on that one.