PDA

View Full Version : Any hiking grandmas out there?

DebDay
10-01-2008, 00:24
:-? HI! I'm new to this site and LOVE the Female forums!!! ......

I am new to hiking only doing day hikes locally but am seriously considering a thru hike (northbound). My family thinks I'm nuts because ...

1. I am a woman and its not 'safe' to hike distances alone
2. I'm a GRANDMA and...
3...I'm a GRANDMA .....LOL!

Any other grandma hikers out there? Do you hike alone and how do you deal with family objections?

THANKS!

fancyfeet
10-01-2008, 00:45
:welcome Deb, it happens all the time (hiking grandmas). If you have a chance, look up "Grandma Gatewood". She was the first female AT thruhiker at age 67. And she didn't stop there. See pic below.

I'm not a grandma, but I hike long distances alone. I haven't had any significant problems. BTW, nearly all thruhiker's families think they're nuts... :p

DebDay
10-01-2008, 00:52
FancyFeet...Thanks for the reply....I am tackling hiking at all as a 'late bloomer' to the outdoors. Family obligations presently keeping me close to home as a primary caregiver to my 96 year old grandma but whenever a thru hike discussion comes along my family rolls their eyes and says 'no way...you'd be nuts'! Well...they should know by now I am...LOL. One day I'll simply leave a 'hiking Georgia to Maine note and send post cards! I've read about Grandma Gatewood and even shared her story with family. My daughter says if I 'runaway' she'll know where to start looking!....Thanks again for the welcome!

Pokey2006
10-01-2008, 00:58
I'm not a grandma, either, but...I will add my 2 cents as a woman. We gals do get questioned a lot more, we get the rolled eyes, the "you're nuts," the questions about our safety. But when you're a grandma, you have a lot more ammunition in answering these questions. You've given of yourself, you've raised your children. You've probably supported your husband over the years, spent time caring for your grandchildren. You're allowed to do something for yourself! There are worse hobbies you could have. Just remember that you deserve something to call your own, especially at this point in your life. The more sure you become of that, the more your family will see your dedication, and see the positive changes in you. Eventually they'll come around and hopefully will become your biggest cheerleaders. Even if you don't thru-hike, this new love of the outdoors will likely bring only good things into your life.

DebDay
10-01-2008, 01:03
HI POKEY!

Thanks for the encouragement! My daughter is 'somewhat' supportive. She is a-ok with my day hikes and even a weekend but longer gets concerned. She'll come around . As long as my 96 year old grandma is here a thru hike isn't in my IMMEDIATE plans but it is still on the 'to do' list! Thanks for making me feel welcome here I'm enjoying looking around and for sure will have other things to comment on! Be blessed!

River Runner
10-01-2008, 02:19
I'm a grandma. I mainly hike with a partner or a group, but did one solo over night, and a couple of day hike sections solo.

Sometimes I think I'd love to thru hike, but it probably isn't an option, being self-employed it would be very hard on business to be gone that long. Also, it would be really hard to leave the grandkids that long, so at least for now I am section hiking.

Who knows - by the time my oldest is 18 or so, maybe we'll thru together!

DebDay
10-01-2008, 10:38
:-? HI RiverRunner -

Leaving the grandbabies would be the hardest part of doing a thru hike so I'm making plans on section hiking it as I am able, right now can only get a 'relief sitter' for here with my 96 year old grandma for a few days at a time but any time on the trails is GREAT! Thanks for stopping by!

Bluebelle
10-01-2008, 17:20
Yes....we grandma's are represented on the trail. You bet....it does take some time to convince your family that you aren't completely crazy but eventually they begin to learn about hiking and the AT and realize that is quite an endeavor. It does sound like you are quite busy with family obligations right now....I would suggest when you have time available to hike as often and as far as you can. Gain all the knowledge, experience, and skills to enable you when you do have time for a long distance hike.....there will be time.....hang in there.....keep going for that dream!

Marta
10-01-2008, 17:23
I'm not a Grandma, but that's not because I'm too young to be one.

My motto: For youth and strength we substitute age and guile.

It works.

Good luck! And I second the suggestion to spend as much time as possible between now and then hiking and backpacking on shorter trips. Build you skill and confidence.

CherrypieScout
10-01-2008, 17:56
I'm a proud grandma! I always solo hike, but on the AT you are truly never alone.

Blissful
10-01-2008, 19:42
Welcome, Debday! White Blaze is a good place to find out about long distance hiking. Lots of info.

Red Hat
10-01-2008, 19:46
Welcome Debday! I am a hiking Grandmom, with 6 grandchildren to date, and one on the way next month. My older grandkids talk about hiking with me someday. The furthest we've gone so far is about one mile and they whined..... of course there were a few mosquitoes...

Hitch
10-01-2008, 19:52
My grandchildren call me Gramdma Hitch sometimes. I've been section hiking since 2005 and have done at least 770 miles of the 1875 miles I've done solo. I prefer hiking solo and hope to finish next year without partners.

cowboy nichols
10-01-2008, 20:01
Welcome Debday Hiking keeps you young. I'm a Grandma, a Great Grandma , and soon to be Great-Great grandma. The family is some for ,some why and how soon is the old woman going, I hike with my dog. Once started the A T with a son , he didn't last to long. I'm still planing on a thru.hike. Got to Harpers once. This trip will be my 3rd try. I generly prefer less used trails but got to finish the A T .

Frau
10-01-2008, 20:04
I am not a grandma either, but not because of age. I certainly don't encourage my single, 27 y.o. son to make me a grandma, either. My sweetheart, Nessmuk, and I backpack and day hike together. When he is busy, I day hike alone, as I did this past weekend.

Frau

hikernutt
10-01-2008, 20:58
Hi Deb,

I am a proud Grandma of a 4 year grandson, a 18 month old grandson and a new one on the way. I attempted a thru-hike last year (some of which was a solo) did the Smokies with the wonderful Mrs. Blissful, great lady to hike with. I am not to far from where you are if you would like to go for a day and maybe an overnighter. Leaving the grandkids are hard, but when you are on the trail and call home and hear how excited they are for you to keep going, that makes it all worth it. Anyway send me an email some time. Read my journal on trailjournals.com hikernutt

hikernutt
10-01-2008, 21:02
We are having a get together at Hikernutt's and you are welcomed to come.
Look under get togethers on the forum page.

BumpJumper
10-05-2008, 06:41
I'm a grandma....and my granddaughter hikes with me. She loves it.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/kdbug_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28329&c=535)

MoBill122
10-05-2008, 20:44
I met a GrandMa today hiking with her son, on the AT heading up Blood Mtn on the way the Neels. Didn't get her name... but she had a fully loaded huge pack on her back. Had to have been in her 70's.... if not her 80's ! Go GrandMa Go !

trekkngirl
10-05-2008, 20:57
Welcome DebDay..I am a grandma x 3..I have been backpacking solo for awhile now and love it.Plan to thru in 2009..Good luck and don't loose that dream. :)

Anghiker
10-31-2008, 10:58
I'm a hking Gramma also. I was getting the same worried looks but by now they have decided they can't stop me.
I have been hiking with my oldest grandson since he was 4 years old.
You stop alot and need to feed them often but it's all worth it.
This summer I started by 5 year old and six year old grandson. They just love it. My oldest ones does backpacks with me.
I don't think there is anything better than sitting on top of a mountain with this awesome view and have your grandchild with you.
It's just the best!!
So, you Gramma's get out there and take those grandchildren with you, you'll never regret it and you'll have the best chats and learn so much more about them and they you.
Have fun making memories together.http://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

desert spirit
11-13-2008, 18:21
Well, I'm not even a mom yet :( ... but I hear the same "you're nuts to do that by yourself" thing. My usual response is, "if you're so concerned about me, why don't you come along?" They never do .. haha.

The ones who would come, are the ones who understand why they don't need to come :)

Bigglesworth
11-21-2008, 23:02
Look on trail journals (www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com)). There were a few very successful Grandmas in 2008, and I believe a couple had extensive journals (Ravon and Peregrine come to mind).

SawnieRobertson
11-22-2008, 19:01
Welcome Debday Hiking keeps you young. I'm a Grandma, a Great Grandma , and soon to be Great-Great grandma. The family is some for ,some why and how soon is the old woman going, I hike with my dog. Once started the A T with a son , he didn't last to long. I'm still planing on a thru.hike. Got to Harpers once. This trip will be my 3rd try. I generly prefer less used trails but got to finish the A T .

I'm older than you, still planning another thru attempt. :- )--Kinnickinic:welcome

JuneBug
12-21-2008, 00:45
And I'm older than you -- a little bit. Have done 800 miles section hiking with my 50s son since I turned 71. He has limited vacation... Am hoping a slightly bum knee will will let me backpack this Spring.

boarstone
12-21-2008, 10:02
:-? HI! I'm new to this site and LOVE the Female forums!!! ......

I am new to hiking only doing day hikes locally but am seriously considering a thru hike (northbound). My family thinks I'm nuts because ...

1. I am a woman and its not 'safe' to hike distances alone
2. I'm a GRANDMA and...
3...I'm a GRANDMA .....LOL!

Any other grandma hikers out there? Do you hike alone and how do you deal with family objections?

THANKS!

:welcome Gram Ma! I'm a mom/gram ma too...I retire in 5 years..My plan is to hike the CT trail in Colorado. I live here in the "100 mile wilderness", in Maine, not too far from the trail. Hike it a lot. I offer resupply drops to thru/section hikers every season and get to meet lots of cool people. A lot are women hiking "alone" per se but have plenty of company along the way. They all look out for each other. Look at it this way...if you think people think your crazy to hike alone on the AT...you'll be safe! Who's gonna' mess w/a crazy grammy? And for what it's worth, come June, I have a plane ticket for Ashville so I can land and head off into the unknown. I plan to hike for 7-8 days somewhere...alone..but I'm sure at times I'll have "company" of other hikers. I actually prefer the empty trail but take what I'm dished. Get out there and have fun....don't let some one else's fear keep you at home...p.s. No one knows but me about June and Ashville! Tada!

lilypond
05-04-2009, 17:28
I have been hiking since my kids were 4 and 6. Have done some day hikes on the AT with my kids and one overnight with scouts- total of about 200 miles. Trying to get up the nerve to do a thru hike - think about it day and night. If the family objects if and when I do that is their problem. My son loves the outdoors and hiking but his hiking days are over. Fiance thinks hike is a 4 letter word in the profane sense!!!

Ladytrekker
05-05-2009, 16:35
I plan on retiring in 8 years I will be 62 and my plan is to do a thru hike, so now I am soaking up as much knowledge and reading everything I can get my hands on until I get to do it myself. My family is supportive they know I am not afraid to venture out on my own. But I recently met two women who are hikers and both started in their 60's. One thru hiked the trail at 65 and is now in her 80's and is still dayhiking and camping. I met another women who is 82 and has thru hiked the Florida Trail twice and had just done 47 miles at the age of 82 with a pack weight of approx. 30 lbs. She is amazing. I figure it is never to late if your health is good. I am going to retire walk the trail, buy a small travel trailer see America all of it.