PDA

View Full Version : Sheer drop offs, heights, cliffs, suggestions.

eyahiker
03-17-2004, 17:45
-------------------------------------

Lone Wolf
03-17-2004, 20:43
McAfee Knob is a damn good one!

smokymtnsteve
03-17-2004, 21:19
charlies bunion

retread
03-17-2004, 23:51
Race Mountain...just into Mass.
descent from Beaver Brook shelter to KInsman Notch

Pencil Pusher
06-18-2004, 06:56
So for this Mcafee Knob, are there any trees (or natural anchors) up top there? How far is the dropoff? And is the 'bottom' relatively accessible via a hike to one side or the other?

I was thinking since everyone has a photo standing on it, maybe I could get one hanging from it. If it's too far to rap, then it looks like an annoying prusik. Thanks for any info.

brian
06-18-2004, 10:27
I can think of one:

Carter Notch, approach trail from the north. Right before you reach the notch, there is about a 300'-400' drop in about 1\8mile worth of trail.

If you want a good picture, go up on Avery Peak in the Bigelow range, and sit on some of the boulders sticking out into the air, facing Sugarloaf. Stand up by the fire tower. Ill attach my picture of there later.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

gravityman
06-18-2004, 10:30
So for this Mcafee Knob, are there any trees (or natural anchors) up top there? How far is the dropoff? And is the 'bottom' relatively accessible via a hike to one side or the other?

I was thinking since everyone has a photo standing on it, maybe I could get one hanging from it. If it's too far to rap, then it looks like an annoying prusik. Thanks for any info.

You wouldn't have a hard time finding an anchor, but the rap wouldn't be too exciting. It looks like a sheer drop off if you take the picture right, but in reality the drop just isn't that much, and then it starts to sorta stair step down... Not very impressive by a climbers standards...

Gravity man

Pencil Pusher
06-18-2004, 14:02
You wouldn't have a hard time finding an anchor, but the rap wouldn't be too exciting. It looks like a sheer drop off if you take the picture right, but in reality the drop just isn't that much, and then it starts to sorta stair step down... Not very impressive by a climbers standards...

Gravity man
Oh absolutely, but the picture everyone takes does not include the minor drop. Instead the frame captures a rocky precipice overlooking the valley below. I managed to google a couple of photos that showed this and can only guess the distance to be 80 or so feet, based on the trees below. But for the photo, just 'hang' on to the rock's edge. Yes, very cheesy, but to folks that don't climb, it looks like this guy just lost his marbles hanging from the edge (rope/gear hidden). Or maybe hang with one hand while the other hand holds the backpack... you could label that one, "Get your priorities straight.";)

Big Oak
06-18-2004, 18:34
Whatever you do, resist the temptation to think you can make it down a steep dropoff at night by holding onto little trees. I did that and slipped in loose gravel, then winded up having to claw my way 200 feet back up to the trail. Not fun.

Pencil Pusher
06-22-2004, 01:49
Whatever you do, resist the temptation to think you can make it down a steep dropoff at night by holding onto little trees. I did that and slipped in loose gravel, then winded up having to claw my way 200 feet back up to the trail. Not fun.
Okay... this sounds juicy. So what is the story behind that little bit of advice? Why did you want to make it down a steep drop off at night?

Jaybird
06-22-2004, 06:51
my vote is for CHARLIE'S BUNION!

whcobbs
08-03-2004, 14:10
You get a second chance at Carter Notch (and the apparently miniscule Carter Notch Hut complex) from Wildcat. There's an official USFS "view" from a ledge, maybe 40 min SOBO after the Hut.
Walt

I can think of one:

Carter Notch, approach trail from the north. Right before you reach the notch, there is about a 300'-400' drop in about 1\8mile worth of trail.

If you want a good picture, go up on Avery Peak in the Bigelow range, and sit on some of the boulders sticking out into the air, facing Sugarloaf. Stand up by the fire tower. Ill attach my picture of there later.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

eyahiker
08-03-2004, 18:45
Well, did Race MT in MA, and walked fast past the dropoff, maybe 3/10 of a mile or so - didn't like it too much - mostly just coming out of the brush at the beginning where it looks like the trail just "ends", but it was a great hike nonetheless!:clap . Then there was not a dropoff but a stunning "vista" i averted my eyes from coming down from the hemlocks, little bit of an outcropping, but definately unexpected, nice downhill from there - I like trees around me!

The Eleven
08-30-2004, 14:54
Off the top of Katahdin.....Cathedral trail comes up from Chimney Pond area and also on the Knife's edge....both on AT....@60 degree drop off angle of a couple of thousand of feet. TOTALLLY INTENSE!!!! Little Bear 2 CT