PDA

View Full Version : Light weight Canisters

Wise Old Owl
10-01-2008, 00:46
Light weight Canisters
Most of us are into glad bags and the new sea to summit bags for keeping things dry. I have had bad experiences with both. My successes in keeping food and tea bags dry were mixed. I since discovered the new glad "tupperware" or even better a screw top Ziplock container.

I just found some small bottles of nagalene type plastic such as Shoprite's fake bacon bits. I can fill these with tea bags, sugar packets, and Mini Moo Moo's (Land of Lakes) and make a respectable british tea on the trail with a alky stove. The container prevents the milk from getting crushed and spread thoughout the pack. Now tea & coffee don't need to taste bad or become a mess in ones pack.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

BookBurner
10-01-2008, 10:19
I'm curious - what sort of bad experiences did you have with plastic sandwich bags that prompted the switch? Even in the heaviest of rainfalls, I've never had water work its way through the layers of sil-nylon and get at my food. Perhaps, you mean things leaking out of, rather than into, the glad bags? The reason I ask is because it would take a pretty persistent problem to cause me to switch to the heavier and far more bulky tupperware containers.

My preferences for light gear aside though, I'm glad you found someething that works for you. If a good cup of tea puts a smile on your face, then I'm sure the extra measures are well worth it. Cheerio!

mtnkngxt
10-01-2008, 10:26
I'm thinking things getting crushed and leaking into the bag is what Wise Old Owl is talking about. I've had that problem with my olive oil packets (huge mess). I have seen the screw on top ziplock containers and have been looking for them but have yet to find them in my area. I'm thinking of using one for all of my cooking supplies less my pot and pocket rocket. Then sticking the pot and a ziplock container as well as my food supplies in one stuff sack eliminating the need to sort through everything when I hang my bear bag at night. Also might be good to use for putting cellphones and such things in to keep them dry and out of harms way. Might even make a neoprene sleeve and make one into a cooking cup/cozy. Ideas Ideas.

sarbar
10-01-2008, 12:43
I at times use the RubberMaid and or Glad branded "disposable" containers (yeah, they are so not disposable! They last for years!) that you can get for cheap. I use the small 1/2 cup ones to take stuff like individually wrapped Laughing Cow cheese wedges - one item that if squeezed is not a good thing. Protects them nicely. I carry olive oil often in an old school clear 4 ounce Nalgene bottle that I prepped the neck with silicone tape (plumbers tape) to help with leakage.

With bags and powders I have learned to take my fingernail and smack the top of the bag, to knock powders back down inside. Gives a tighter seal.

But yeah, love those containers. They make good eating vessels as well - they have a lid, so on overnighters why do dishes! They are safe for hot foods - they are microwave safe. Btw, the RM and Glad ones.....they are made in the US :) Not sure about Ziploc's containers though they make most everything I have seen in the US as well.

Wise Old Owl
10-04-2008, 11:43
I'm curious - what sort of bad experiences did you have with plastic sandwich bags that prompted the switch? Even in the heaviest of rainfalls, I've never had water work its way through the layers of sil-nylon and get at my food. Perhaps, you mean things leaking out of, rather than into, the glad bags? The reason I ask is because it would take a pretty persistent problem to cause me to switch to the heavier and far more bulky tupperware containers.

All good questions - Olive Oil and Milk only have to be spilled or crushed once in a pack to make a smelly mess that almost cannot be undone. - sandwich bags are water resistant - not water proof. You cannot undo a powder mess once its happened in the field.

I learned my lesson on 6 day 80+mile canoe trip with some added up 15 miles of portages. - 1 swamp, for 2 1/2 minutes almost cost us the trip. Glad Bags are good, they arn't perfect.

sarbar
10-04-2008, 20:02
Canoeing or kayaking does add a level of moisture fear that just hiking doesn't have ;)

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2008, 12:10
You want a laugh...While hiking other trails other than the AT, there have been times where I put extra air in the trash bag unsling the pack and swim the river to get to the other side. I have also experienced a three day down pour in the wild. Sometimes my best days are spent bushwack'in.

Levlle
10-09-2008, 16:18
I used to use Sea To Summit bags, but more recently I started using an old Whey Protein 1 gal canister that I pack all my food products in.

It's perfect because it's crush proof and keeps all my food from getting destroyed while hiking. I just separate everything with ziploc bags, which I used for freezer bag cooking anyway.

It only weighs 5oz. Some may say that's to much, but I like how I don't have to worry about leaning on my pack or cinching/packing it to tight to crush everything.

It's mostly water proof too, so there's one less concern for me also.

They do come in smaller sizes too, such as 1/2 gallon, but I find the 1 gallon is perfect for a multi-day hike.

Recently I used one for a 7-day trip through the Maine 100-Mile Wilderness. When you spend that kind of time on the trail, crush proof is a huge benefit.

Wise Old Owl
10-26-2008, 22:48
I thought it was this thread - but I don't see it, someone suggested 4 large eggs (which will not fit in a coglan's egg carrier) fit perfectly in a plastic resealable tub from Crystal Lite! I tried it this weekend with great success. Thank's!

JAK
10-26-2008, 23:35
For packability I pack bulk but like a combination of some stuff in bags and other stuff in more rigid containers, like light pastic jars. Oatmeal and lentils do well in bags. Honey in the plastic squeeze jar it comes in, but stuff like skim milk powder can be tricky, and stuff like drink powders also, so I like light plastic jars for them. Sometimes it helps to combine stuff in the same container, like raisins with almonds. Another idea is a small pastic bags of stuff in with stuff in plastic containers. It really only matters how you start though because you gain space as you eat so it doesn't hurt if there is unused space.