PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Picking Out Section Hike

Wrangler88
10-01-2008, 11:11
Howdy everyone, I'm new to the site. I've never been to the AT but I'm wanting to do a lengthy section next summer (June 29th - August 14th). There are several factors that I want to consider when choosing the section hike. My pack weighs less than 20lbs. including water and food and I'm wanting to average between 15 - 20 miles a day. I'm wanting to avoid opressive heat. I would call that highs above 90 with no shade and high humidity. Which section would have the most comfortable weather (and least annoying bugs!)? Also, I need to end my hike somewhere between Harper's Ferry and Southern Tennessee but the start point isn't a problem.

Two hikes I've considered (without extensively checking into terrain, trail towns, etc.) are: 1)Springer north to somewhere between Damascus and Waynesboro. 2)Kent south to somewhere between Waynesboro and Damascus.

I'm wanting to keep this section hike on the lower end of the budget scale, so I won't be staying the night in trail towns and taking a lot of zero days. Maybe 2 - 5. Also I wouldn't mind checking out Washington DC if passing by Harper's Ferry. What types of historical things are there in Harper's Ferry? I also am wondering about what significant landmarks (ex: certain mountains, balds, etc.) that I'd get to see. I'm wanting to get in a great section next summer and then come back and finish up the other two thirds the following summer or two.

I plan on buying a guidebook when the 2009 versions come out. That way I can see more details about the day by day of it all. Any suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you.

The Big J
10-01-2008, 11:24
Last April I sectioned Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pa. to Harpers Ferry in 8 days I averaged about 10 mi. a day I could have done more, I underestimated my milage ability. There were many Civil War sites to visit along the way. The shelters in this area were nice and had good water the whole way. I do not know how the water would be in August. Stayed at the Free State Hiker Hostel in Md. recommend it. Maybe you could calulate your 15-20 mile days and start north of Pine Grove State Forest some where. You could end in Harpers Ferry and maybe save a couple of days to visit D.C. .

Wrangler88
10-01-2008, 11:38
Thanks Big J. I'm deffinately looking for historical sites and I'll keep that in mind.

I'm just not sure what town or trailhead is best to start off at. Needs to be semi near a metro area that I can fly into. (I'm from Texas but I'd actually be flying in as soon as I got off vaction from San Juan Puerto Rico.) I'll be sectioning for that entire date period (June 29th - August 14th), so I'm not really sure how far north I'd need to start.

The Big J
10-01-2008, 11:51
You could fly into Philadephia airport and catch a bus to where you planned to start. I will look at my Pa.- Md. maps when I get them back on friday to see where a starting poit may be for you to average 15-20 mi. a day. Then if your interested on that section you can order the maps.

ki0eh
10-01-2008, 12:01
Although in the A.T.'s "green tunnel" there are few areas with NO shade (this ain't Texas), you very well might be crossing the Cumberland Valley in 90+ degree heat in July.

End of June start in Duncannon SOBO would put you in the middle-end of the NOBO pack, or from Kent south would run you through nearly the entire NOBO pack.

PA water sources, north of Duncannon especially, can dry up in July or especially August.

Cookerhiker
10-01-2008, 12:17
Given the timeframe and your desires, I think your best bet is Springer-to-Waynesboro. This 850 mile distance entails an average of 18-19 miles per day depending on your pace and # of zero days. On the front end, you fly into Atlanta where you can pick up shuttles to Springer. On the back end, you can get a shuttle from Waynesboro to Charlottesville where you catch AMTRAK to DC for your return flight. The other advantage is the last 120 miles parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway so if you find yourself short of time, you can hitch your way northward to Waynesboro.

IMO, you want to avoid starting in CT or MA in late June to hike SOBO. Despite the more northerly location, the heat & humidity are oppressive because you're at low elevation and close to the ocean. And the mosquitos along that part of the Trail are worse than further south.

Shuttles can be found from the ATC's list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_Aug_7_08.pdf). Other information are available in the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm).

burger
10-01-2008, 12:27
I know you're from Texas, so you're probably used to heat, but backpacking through heat, bugs, and humidity for weeks on end can get old fast. And that's what you're going to get if you do either of your suggested trips. If you start somewhere in the northeast and hike NOBO you'll be getting into cooler climates and higher elevations pret. How about Delaware Water Gap to Gorham, NH? Or Kent to Monson, ME (or even Katahdin)? On top of better weather, you'd also be hiking with NOBO thru-hikers. As a long-distance sectioner myself, I've really enjoyed hiking with thru-hikers, and I wouldn't want to hike without them.

Cookerhiker
10-01-2008, 12:34
I know you're from Texas, so you're probably used to heat, but backpacking through heat, bugs, and humidity for weeks on end can get old fast. And that's what you're going to get if you do either of your suggested trips. If you start somewhere in the northeast and hike NOBO you'll be getting into cooler climates and higher elevations pret. How about Delaware Water Gap to Gorham, NH? Or Kent to Monson, ME (or even Katahdin)? On top of better weather, you'd also be hiking with NOBO thru-hikers. As a long-distance sectioner myself, I've really enjoyed hiking with thru-hikers, and I wouldn't want to hike without them.

Remember that one of his "givens" is the need to finish in the South.

And starting a NOBO hike in DWG IMO would be at least as hot & humid as the South up through and probably beyond Massachusetts and much buggier. The least enjoyable section hike I ever did was June in NJ where the extreme humidity cum mosquitos were truly miserable.

burger
10-01-2008, 13:53
Remember that one of his "givens" is the need to finish in the South.

Oops, I didn't realize that the OP needed to finish in the South. In that case, my suggestion would be to reconfigure your schedule so you can do your hike at another time of year, finish someplace else, or forget the whole thing. Personally, I would rather sit at home for 6 weeks than hike SOBO in mid-summer in the mid-Atlantic or VA.

Wrangler88
10-01-2008, 14:11
Oops, I didn't realize that the OP needed to finish in the South. In that case, my suggestion would be to reconfigure your schedule so you can do your hike at another time of year, finish someplace else, or forget the whole thing. Personally, I would rather sit at home for 6 weeks than hike SOBO in mid-summer in the mid-Atlantic or VA.

I appreciate your opinion but I've had my heart set on the AT for a few years now. This is the only chance I've come across that I'll have an extended period to hike. That's why I'm trying to find the best possible section for the time frame. The reason why I want to end in a certain area is that my family is driving from Texas to pick me up and I don't want it to be too far or expensive to do so.

Cookerhiker
10-01-2008, 17:01
Given the timeframe and your desires, I think your best bet is Springer-to-Waynesboro. This 850 mile distance entails an average of 18-19 miles per day depending on your pace and # of zero days. On the front end, you fly into Atlanta where you can pick up shuttles to Springer. On the back end, you can get a shuttle from Waynesboro to Charlottesville where you catch AMTRAK to DC for your return flight. The other advantage is the last 120 miles parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway so if you find yourself short of time, you can hitch your way northward to Waynesboro.

IMO, you want to avoid starting in CT or MA in late June to hike SOBO. Despite the more northerly location, the heat & humidity are oppressive because you're at low elevation and close to the ocean. And the mosquitos along that part of the Trail are worse than further south.

Shuttles can be found from the ATC's list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_Aug_7_08.pdf). Other information are available in the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm).

I appreciate your opinion but I've had my heart set on the AT for a few years now. This is the only chance I've come across that I'll have an extended period to hike. That's why I'm trying to find the best possible section for the time frame. The reason why I want to end in a certain area is that my family is driving from Texas to pick me up and I don't want it to be too far or expensive to do so.

OK try this. Fly to Philadelphia, take AMTRAK to Harrisburg, and get yourself to Duncannon (contact Trail Angel Mary for assistance). Hike about 800 miles south to Erwin. That comes out to an average of 17.5 MPD with the easier part occurring in your first few weeks, giving you sufficient time for a trip into DC via train from Harpers Ferry for some sightseeing.

Your family will have a shorter drive to pick you up in Erwin and if you have any extra time, you can tour the Smokies or other Southern Highland attractions.

Wrangler88
10-01-2008, 17:35
Thanks a lot. That's a great idea. I really appreciate it.

CherrypieScout
10-01-2008, 17:52
Being from the South, I usually hike in late July - the only time I can get away. This past summer I went from Harper's Ferry south, to past Rockfish Gap. I did not experience oppresive heat. Nothing above the 90's. I was even cool at night - 60's. I have found that in June the mountains are cool at night for me. I like to hike early in the mornings, take a break in the early afternoon, then hike on after 2 o'clock or so. So, my advise is to start south of Harper's Ferry, then hike north to it from whatever distance is good for you. You can hop a train in Harper's Ferry to Washington DC. Over the past 10 years of late summer hiking, I have yet to find the heat oppressive or the bugs that bad in the mountains. (At least nothing like Alabama). I'm not sure where 600 miles south of Harpers Ferry is, maybe Damascus, VA? Don't have a map in front of me. You will see great views, wild ponies, cliffs, long bridges, good resupply all along the way. Damascus is a really cool,as in special, place to be.

GrubbyJohn
04-13-2009, 09:36
wrangler what ever section u do enjoy the hell out of it. i did my first section last year. pairsburg va. to dragons tooth.worked my butt off but would'nt have missed it for the world. starting next section last week of aug.

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 16:19
Your altitude will be such in the south that you won't have TOO many 90 degree days, but I guarantee you some. Bugs won't be as bad, but I guarantee some. Hike early in the day and late in the evening and avoid that 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. hiking on really hot days.

If you're into the history, however I'd recommend the northern part as you'll hit more "landmarks." Harper's Ferry is an incredible town with an incredible history and anyone who likes history will love it. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln all visited it and it changed hands in the civil war more times than Ulysses S. Grant changed liquor bottles.