PDA

View Full Version : For those who like to read.....

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2008, 13:33
Don't know if this has been covered on Whiteblaze.

What are your favorite bookshops on or near the Trail?

Off the top of my head, my favorite down south are Malaprops and the Ashebille Book and News store, which unfortunately are both a good ways from the Trail in downtown Asheville. And StoneSoup Books in Waynesboro VA is a cool little shop.

Up north, it'd be Northshire Books in Manchester Center; the Left Bank or the Dartmouth Bookstore here in Hanover; also, the shop in Rangely ME, which I think is called Books, Lines, and Thinkers is a great store.

the goat
10-01-2008, 13:41
there's a good one in gorham, nh too (at least there used to be).

it is small, but has a great selection.

anyone know if it's still there?

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 13:42
not a bookshop but i love reading the NASCAR schedule at Dot's

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2008, 13:44
Good point Wolf, tho I prefer reading the menu. Gotta love a place that proudly serves Tater Tots. :D

Blissful
10-01-2008, 13:51
I've noticed that shelters are becomming like book shops or rather libraries with books lying around. Paul Bunyan picked up several to read on the trail.

There is that one in Manchester Center that comes to mind.
One of the best libraries is Hanover. The lady there was so friendly too - let me use their laptop, no problem.

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 13:52
Gotta love a place that proudly serves Tater Tots. :D

they're greasy enuf if you bake them. Dot deep fries them :)

Cookerhiker
10-01-2008, 13:53
The bookstore in the NPS VC in Harpers Ferry has some good historical books.

I believe there are independent bookstores in Great Barrington, Williamstown, and Bennington.

KG4FAM
10-01-2008, 13:56
the Left Bank or the Dartmouth Bookstore here in HanoverThere was a little used book store in an upstairs shop in downtown Hanover that I picked something up at. There was one woman that worked there and she was very nice and helpful. Is this the Left Bank?

walkin' wally
10-01-2008, 14:05
In Rangeley Maine. Ecopelagicon. Some nice outdoor related books there. It looks like they are trying to develop a website too.

MOWGLI
10-01-2008, 14:13
Old Books in Unionville, NY has paperbacks outside for .50 each. You can pick-up a book after hours and leave your .50 in the slot.

http://www.oldbooks.net/

jersey joe
10-01-2008, 14:13
not a bookshop but i love reading the NASCAR schedule at Dot's
Being from above the mason dixon line, I was shocked how big nascar was in Damascus/Dots.

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2008, 14:22
Good stuff so far, guys, keep it coming. Just remembered, there's supposed to be a great store (a lot of used stuff) in Blairsville, GA, and a great used bookshop in Lincoln NH in the mall next to the supermarket.

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 14:28
Just remembered, there's supposed to be a great store (a lot of used stuff) in Blairsville, GA

owned by jeff and dorothy hansen, former owners of walasi-yi at neel gap

Frau
10-01-2008, 14:32
Wonder how many customers know what a malaprop is?

Frau;)

waderoe
10-01-2008, 14:36
there's a good one in gorham, nh too (at least there used to be).

it is small, but has a great selection.

anyone know if it's still there?

If the one your talking about is across and down the street from The Moonbeam Cafe, Its still there.

Cant say enough about that Cafe either. Best breakfast I think Ive ever had.
Mmmm smashies!

Just Jack
10-01-2008, 20:03
There is a great bookstore in Rutland,Vt--right around the corner from
Twelve Tribes. My brain just shut down and I cannot remember the name.

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 20:41

Frau;)

enlighten us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism :rolleyes:

sasquatch2014
10-01-2008, 21:25
There is a great little book store in Pawling just a block up from the Laundry and pizza joint (yeah that would make it on the other block in town). It's an independent store not a chain. It's called the Book Cove.

In Kent during the summer the library often does a big book sale of extras and older books it is a blast to thumb through what they have. They have them all set out on big tables on the side walk.

Jeff
10-02-2008, 06:54
I second the idea of the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, VT being one of the best on the trail.

It is amazing these smaller stores can compete with Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. Maybe personal service is not dead!!

Heater
10-02-2008, 08:01
I second the idea of the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, VT being one of the best on the trail.

It is amazing these smaller stores can compete with Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. Maybe personal service is not dead!!

I use Amazon for shopping and then buy locally whenever I can.

weary
10-02-2008, 11:34
There is a nice little book store in Front Royal, VA. where I always stop in my occasional visits to the south. In 1993 I used its great collection of nature books to identify flowers and trees I saw on the trail. Also I bought a copy of Walden to send to someone I had walked with for six or eight weeks. She had left the trail in Harpers Ferry.

The shop sells both new and good quality used books.

Weary

MOWGLI
10-02-2008, 11:37

Frau;)

Malaprops is my favorite independent bookstore. Located in Asheville, NC - it's a good ways from the AT, but worth a visit if you're in the area. I'll be there tomorrow.

http://malaprops.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp