PDA

View Full Version : Libraries

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2008, 14:32
The "Trail Bookstores" thread is off to a good start, which got me thinking....

What are some of your best and worst library experiences on the Trail? The ATC magazine recently had a short article on the subject, with a list of libraries that I helped supply. The list was done off the top of my head and is no doubt incomplete, so if anyone anything to add, or has library stories to tell, good or bad, please share 'em.

My own favorite Trail libraries:

*Hanover NH
*Williamstown MA
*Salisbury CT
*Monson ME
*Gatlinburg TN
*Waynesboro VA
*Damascus VA
*Pearisburg VA

Blissful
10-01-2008, 20:02
I didn't even know there was one in Monson! But I didn't take a zero either. Probably will in 2011, so tha'ts good to know.

My favorites were - Hanover, Damascus, Hot Springs, and Palmerton. Friendly and didn't mind hikers. Gorham was okay, but they did charge for Internet use (the only time I had to pay except at an Internet place at Port Clinton). The staff was friendly.

KG4FAM
10-01-2008, 20:29
Gorham is my favorite. The staff was very friendly. They charge for internet, but its only like a buck for 15 minuites.

sasquatch2014
10-01-2008, 21:28
I would be interested to hear what hikers experience at the Pawling Library has been? At times like many small towns it can be a bit stand-offish to outsiders. It does have a great location right across from the post office. Jack have you had any experience with this one?

A-Train
10-01-2008, 21:35
If you stay with the Hoch's in Fontana, they will most likely take you to Robbinsville NC to do shopping and chores. They have a library there with internet. However, they were giving the local school kids preference over thru-hikers for the computers, which seemed reasonable.

sticks&stones
10-01-2008, 21:56
I always liked damascus, no photo id check, no hassle. worst was probley blairesville ga.

Yahtzee
10-01-2008, 22:40
I would be interested to hear what hikers experience at the Pawling Library has been? At times like many small towns it can be a bit stand-offish to outsiders. It does have a great location right across from the post office. Jack have you had any experience with this one?

I found it friendly. We also lounged on the grass outside the library on a beautiful sunny day. The librarian's treated us like any other and made the internet available.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 15:45
Sasquatch: Funny thing, but I've only been in Pawling once, and I didn't visit the library when I was there. Have heard from others that it's fine, tho.

Footslogger
10-02-2008, 15:51
There's a nice little library in Glasgow, Va. Was sick as a dog and zero'd there in 2003. Was going stir crazy in the motel and wandered downtown and stumbled into the library. People couldn't have been nicer. Limited number of computer/internet terminals but as it turned out ...I was the only one there !!

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2009, 16:51
Decided to revive this thread, as the recent "Best of the Trail" thread seems to have appealed to lots of you.

So quick question is, once again:

What do you think are the best libraries on or near the Trail?

Consider:

*Location (How easy is it to find or to get to?)
*Friendliness (Do they care if you stink?)
*Internet access/availability (Are there lots of machines? Plenty of access?
Hassle-free use? etc.)

garlic08
02-20-2009, 16:58
Salisbury, CT. Walk from the trail, fewer hikers there so they're not overwhelmed, no problems with internet access, friendly staff, great old stone building. Gorham is a close second, and if you smile nicely and don't smell too bad, they'll waive the internet fee (but don't tell anyone).

BarFight
02-21-2009, 11:28
Waynesboro, VA-huge library, right between the hostel and the YMCA, staff let us sit out a huge T-storm that knocked out power all over town, didn't make anyone leave even though the library was also down for hours.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2009, 12:39
they're all the same to me. i rarely go in one while hiking. why would ya?

tenbeer
02-21-2009, 13:31
they're all the same to me. i rarely go in one while hiking. why would ya?
I agree with most of what you say LW, but I have to disagree on this one. Exercise the body, exercise the mind. I feel a different kind of serenity in both places. Different strokes for different folks.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2009, 13:33
I agree with most of what you say LW, but I have to disagree on this one. Exercise the body, exercise the mind. I feel a different kind of serenity in both places. Different strokes for different folks.

do you check out books?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2009, 13:35
i do crosswords and read a book on the trail to excercise the mind. in town it's eat, drink beer, watch golf. the last place i'm goin' is a library

tenbeer
02-21-2009, 13:36
do you check out books?
Good point, but I don't have to check out books to enjoy a library.

Slo-go'en
02-21-2009, 14:05
do you check out books?

No, but sometimes I'll buy one from the "for sale" rack at the front door. Most hikers go to the library for internet access. Can't live without that for long :D

Blissful
02-21-2009, 14:06
Hanover was great. They let me walk off with their laptop to use (within the library of course). Great people there.

But I would not go into a public place like that without a shower. Not fair to others who don't care to smell you.

tenbeer
02-21-2009, 14:11
i do crosswords and read a book on the trail to excercise the mind. in town it's eat, drink beer, watch golf. the last place i'm goin' is a library
Amen to crosswords, eating, drinking beer, and watching golf. All good hobbies.

Nightwalker
02-21-2009, 15:02
*Hanover NH
*Williamstown MA
*Salisbury CT
*Monson ME
*Gatlinburg TN
*Waynesboro VA
*Damascus VA
*Pearisburg VA

I like the one in Hot Springs, NC.

EDIT: Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs lets you use their computer as well.

Kirby
02-24-2009, 14:58
In Hanover, I used the computer in the Dartmouth Outing Club. I sat there for a bit updating my journal and checking my email. I informed the lady at the front desk what I was doing and that if anyone needed to use it and I didn't notice they could kick me off.

Damascus was the worst, quite rude.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2009, 15:01
Damascus was the worst, quite rude.

cuz you hikers hog the puters and stink the small place up

Jack Tarlin
02-24-2009, 15:51
Dunno what the problem was Kirby, but I've used the Damascus library dozens of times.

The staff is friendly, out-going, and helpful. Never ever were they rude.

Maybe the problem wasn't with them. :-?

Frick Frack
02-24-2009, 16:02
I like the one in Hot Springs.

Those were the fastest computers on the trail....I love Hot Springs (my fav trail town). Hanover was probably our fav library though. The lights went out b/c of a storm and we had to use our headlights to get out.

The Dalton library.... When its time to go get out of the way! i had a HUGE issue with a WesternUnion (NEVER use them again) money transfer and was in the heat of the battle & the library would not wait 1 second....

Sly
02-24-2009, 16:24
The Dalton library.... When its time to go get out of the way! i had a HUGE issue with a WesternUnion (NEVER use them again) money transfer and was in the heat of the battle & the library would not wait 1 second....

Off topic but you can easily have money sent to you via Paypal (costs $.30 + 2.9%) and use their debit/master card to make purchases. If you use it like a credit card you get 1.5% back