PDA

View Full Version : Abol Bridge closed til May 20th

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2004, 18:25
Saw a message about this on the MATC webpage and phoned Kevin McVey of Katahdin Timberlands for more information.
The Abol Bridge, where the A.T. crosses the West Branch of the Penobscot River just south of Baxter State Park will be closed from March 29th until May 20th to vehicular traffic. Work began two weeks ago on this major construction project.
The attached footbridge, which the A.T. crosses on the upstream side, will be preserved and remain open for hikers throughout the reconstruction. The bridge will be completely rebuilt from the piers up, but will retain it's old timey one-lane design.
Hikers driving to the Park from Millinocket will not be effected. However, this closure will mean hikers, shuttle drivers, and maintainers wanting to drive to Katahdin from the Monson/Greenville area via the Golden Road will have to wait until after the bridge opens, or drive the long way around.
The bridge is scheduled to open to large trucks on June 21st.

Jack Tarlin
03-17-2004, 21:52
Teej-----

I can't imagine where you get all your Maine information, but it sure is useful stuff. Your posts here do a great deal of good and undoubtedly help a great many people; thanks for sending them along.

Peaks
03-18-2004, 09:33
I was amazed by how snowmobiles have torn up that footbridge.

attroll
03-18-2004, 13:31
I have not seen the footbridge in quite some time. But there are always some snowmobiles that have to ruin it for the rest of us snowmobilers. Those people that think that the more picks in there sleds the better it is don't have a clue.