PDA

View Full Version : Yes, no, or Otherwise. Vote on Shelter

Homer&Marje
10-01-2008, 16:07
So. Since it drew so much attention. Lets ask the question. Thru hikers, section hikers, weekend warriors, blue blazers, crippled 1 legged blind hikers with asthma.... tell me, would you stay in the shelters?

Phreak
10-01-2008, 16:16
So far, I've stayed in a shelter 3 times. IMO, it's 3 times too many.

Footslogger
10-01-2008, 16:19
Last resort ...

'Slogger

taildragger
10-01-2008, 16:20
I looked at a shelter once, I was smote by the hiker gods via genital crabs

Just Plain Jim
10-01-2008, 16:29
On my last [7 day] hike I spent one night in a shelter. It was our last night and my buddy and I had Abingdon Gap Shelter [below Damascus] to ourselves and I thought :-? ahh! what the heck, I'll try it once.

Tinker
10-01-2008, 18:32
I have to admit to crawling into one in the middle of the night a few weeks ago to avoid the possibility of being snagged and dragged by a moose while in my hammock. I could hear the danged thing chewing, it was so near. It probably wouldn't have fazed me if a hammocker just the night before had a moose go tearing right by his hammock on the way to the water.

I use shelters to cook and visit, and the privies for their intended purpose. Anything is more comfortable than a hard wooden floor (except concrete), and shelter dwellers don't deserve to hear my snoring. Besides, hammocks take up too much space in a shelter. :)

Homer&Marje
10-01-2008, 18:37
And its getting exciting... mongrel holes is right up there with maybe... it might come down to the wire:D

(Sarcasm) I am just gonna put that in there nowadays, since no one can tell that I am being sarcastic. Even when it's blatantly obvious.

FatMan
10-01-2008, 18:58
I hike with my dog 95% of the time. The only time I would consider a shelter is if the weather was severe, it was late in the day and a shelter was nearby. If there was a single person in the shelter I would set up the tent nearby and would only move to the shelter if the weather destroyed the tent.

KG4FAM
10-01-2008, 19:01
I have spent too many nights in a leaky boy scout tent so give me a shelter and I will take it.

Tin Man
10-01-2008, 19:02
And its getting exciting... mongrel holes is right up there with maybe... it might come down to the wire:D

(Sarcasm) I am just gonna put that in there nowadays, since no one can tell that I am being sarcastic. Even when it's blatantly obvious.

The only blatant thing here is that you are obviously obnoxious. :D

Tin Man
10-01-2008, 19:04
I hike with my dog 95% of the time. The only time I would consider a shelter is if the weather was severe, it was late in the day and a shelter was nearby. If there was a single person in the shelter I would set up the tent nearby and would only move to the shelter if the weather destroyed the tent.

you sir stand as the poster boy for all dog owners

wrongway_08
10-01-2008, 19:15
I stayed at alot of shelters, nothing wrong with them. Some hikers just need to put on there big boy pants and stop cry'n about a little dirt.

kayak karl
10-01-2008, 19:20
I stayed at alot of shelters, nothing wrong with them. Some hikers just need to put on there big boy pants and stop cry'n about a little dirt.
dirt or filth?
I work on abandon and condemned houses for living. need a change when i'm hiking.:D

sasquatch2014
10-01-2008, 19:28
Depends on my mood. If I feel like being social or I just don't feel like setting up and tearing down in the wet. I have lived in A fraternity while in college and e Bunk House at the ranch as well as old oil field cabins so in some cases the shelters are a relative Hilton to some of the places. Also when I hike with Wrongway and Tinker it is fun to stay at shelters and talk about all the crying people do about this type of thing. If the mood strikes him Tinker has been known to put on his bug suit and belly dance around the fire. You don't get that type of after dinner entertainment when your stealth camping by yourself. :D

Tin Man
10-01-2008, 19:31
Depends on my mood. If I feel like being social or I just don't feel like setting up and tearing down in the wet. I have lived in A fraternity while in college and e Bunk House at the ranch as well as old oil field cabins so in some cases the shelters are a relative Hilton to some of the places. Also when I hike with Wrongway and Tinker it is fun to stay at shelters and talk about all the crying people do about this type of thing. If the mood strikes him Tinker has been known to put on his bug suit and belly dance around the fire. You don't get that type of after dinner entertainment when your stealth camping by yourself. :D

let me know when you guys are going this year. i would like to stop in and watch from my tent. :) not the belly dancing part, but the hilton pretend part.

FatMan
10-01-2008, 20:46
I stayed at alot of shelters, nothing wrong with them. Some hikers just need to put on there big boy pants and stop cry'n about a little dirt.It's not the dirt, there is plenty of that everywhere I camp. It has more to do with those who frequent them, especially during the silly season here in GA.

trouthunter
10-01-2008, 20:55
I wouldn't stay in a shelter if Jessica Simpson was in there all lonely and wanted to "get warm" with me!
BTW I'm not scared of dirt, I just dislike disease. Too much rat urine and feces for my tastes!

adamkrz
10-01-2008, 20:58

Hey, I remember you guy's last july while staying at the S. Wilcox shelter in Mass.
It was fun with the thru hikers and section hikers being there, A cool group for sure.

nufsaid
10-01-2008, 21:09
So. Since it drew so much attention. Lets ask the question. Thru hikers, section hikers, weekend warriors, blue blazers, crippled 1 legged blind hikers with asthma.... tell me, would you stay in the shelters?

Homer,

I happen to have asthma and very poor vision. Although I am lucky enough to have two legs. What makes you feel so superior?

Tin Man
10-01-2008, 21:12
looks like the "depends" crowd needs a shelter now and then more so than the others... must be an older crowd here :D

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 21:14
Homer,

I happen to have asthma and very poor vision. Although I am lucky enough to have two legs. What makes you feel so superior?

he's from massachusetts ?

Homer&Marje
10-01-2008, 21:20

Homer,

Wow that's terrible. Marje has cancer she still hikes. I don't feel superior at all, I was merely putting the question out to everyone...apparently including yourself.

If you want sympathy look between S*** and Syphilis in the dictionary

Cool AT Breeze
10-01-2008, 22:05
Shelters suck.

rafe
10-01-2008, 23:00
I'm agnostic on the matter. I'd guess about 40% of my nights on the AT have been in shelters, about 40% in a tent, and the remainder in motels and hostels.

I've had the good fortune of covering most of the trail in late summer/early fall, away from the thru-hiker waves. So shelters aren't generally crowded. In fact, on section hikes from 2005 onward (totaling 900 miles or so) I had shelters to myself most nights.

Reasons for staying in a shelter: companionship, convenience (no tent or bear bag), possibility of a campfire (generally not an option when stealth-camping,) availability of water, comfortable surface for cooking and eating. Reasons for avoiding: no need to list, others have done so in depth.

I admit that shelters make the AT in the Smokies and the Whites less pleasant than it could be. I found the Smokies AT shelters to be mostly miserable and overcrowded. Less of an issue in the Whites, somehow, but still no easy way to hike from Crawford Notch to Pinkham without having to deal with an AMC hut. In the Whites, off the AT, no such problem.

ed bell
10-01-2008, 23:36
Worst. Poll. Ever. Try to make the choices more like real answers next time.

rafe
10-01-2008, 23:37

What options would you list?

Tin Man
10-01-2008, 23:38

was that "pole" or "troll"? :D whatever, you called it

ed bell
10-01-2008, 23:56
What options would you list?First off, the poll itself proves nothing and there is really nothing gained by asking the question. If folks enjoy utilizing shelters, by all means, stay in them. If folks do not like staying in shelters, more power to them when they set up their tent elsewhere. If anyone really wants to try a poll, keep it simple.

Regarding Shelters, pick one of the following responses that most closely sums up your position:

I always stay in shelters.

I stay in shelters whenever possible.

I occasionally stay in shelters when I feel like it.

I stay in shelters only when I feel the need to.

I avoid shelters whenever possible.

I do not stay in shelters.

rafe
10-02-2008, 00:19
First off, the poll itself proves nothing and there is really nothing gained by asking the question. If folks enjoy utilizing shelters, by all means, stay in them. If folks do not like staying in shelters, more power to them when they set up their tent elsewhere. If anyone really wants to try a poll, keep it simple.

So, please tell me, what's to be gained from a massive piling-on that begins with a listing of Ten Reasons to Avoid Shelters? It's condescending from the get-go. The implication is that hikers other than the OP are incapable of making their own decision on the matter.

I suppose Homer's intent was to suss out the "actual" attitudes. I don't see your list of options as a major improvement, and in some ways they're not so different from Homer's. Consider that one's reasons (stay or don't stay) might vary from one night to the next. Who can possibly say, "I always stay in shelters?"

Even so, the results are curious; nearly half the votes say "Maybe, it depends on my mood." Which, oddly enough, is kinda how I deal with shelters. And a far cry from the simplistic, arrogant, "shelters suck."

Tin Man
10-02-2008, 00:26
So, please tell me, what's to be gained from a massive piling-on that begins with a listing of Ten Reasons to Avoid Shelters? It's condescending from the get-go. The implication is that hikers other than the OP are incapable of making their own decision on the matter.

I suppose Homer's intent was to suss out the "actual" attitudes. I don't see your list of options as a major improvement, and in some ways they're not so different from Homer's. Consider that one's reasons (stay or don't stay) might vary from one night to the next. Who can possibly say, "I always stay in shelters?"

Even so, the results are curious; nearly half the votes say "Maybe, it depends on my mood." Which, oddly enough, is kinda how I deal with shelters. And a far cry from the simplistic, arrogant, "shelters suck."

stop whining and tell us your top ten reasons to stay in shelters

ed bell
10-02-2008, 00:38

Even so, the results are curious; nearly half the votes say "Maybe, it depends on my mood." Which, oddly enough, is kinda how I deal with shelters. And a far cry from the simplistic, arrogant, "shelters suck."I don't know what is to be "gained" by the OP. It really has no effect on my thoughts. It is the OP's right to start a thread and to present their opinion.
I see my list of responses as being void of silly additions to choices such as "Filth ridden mongrel holes" and including more choices that may suit folks who would bother to reply to such a poll. Someone may say they always stay in shelters just as someone may say they never stay in shelters. That's the point of a poll. If no one chooses "I always stay in shelters" then you have an answer to that. I think the idea of a poll on this is silly but I provided what I thought to be a better range of choices. What I really find odd is that some folks are bothered by others' opinions on shelters when it conflicts with their own opinions. I hate shelters yet it does not bother me that folks flock to them. Seems like folks who like shelters are bothered by folks who voice their disdain for them.

Tin Man
10-02-2008, 00:44
I hate shelters yet it does not bother me that folks flock to them. Seems like folks who like shelters are bothered by folks who voice their disdain for them.

i agree on both accounts. people often get all defensive about their behaviors, rather than simply stating their own and leave it at that. strange :-?

rafe
10-02-2008, 01:03
What I really find odd is that some folks are bothered by others' opinions on shelters when it conflicts with their own opinions. I hate shelters yet it does not bother me that folks flock to them. Seems like folks who like shelters are bothered by folks who voice their disdain for them.

What I find odd (and I'm not speaking of you specifically) is that folks who "hate" shelters are so keen on expressing, reinforcing, and sharing their hatred. It seems to me there's some kind of group psychology at work here that's intensely mean-spirited and disturbing. I wish I could simply ignore it, but it's difficult.

Heater
10-02-2008, 01:14
...psychology at work here that's intensely mean-spirited and disturbing. I wish I could simply ignore it, but it's difficult.

Hmmmmmm... :-?

ed bell
10-02-2008, 01:25
What I find odd (and I'm not speaking of you specifically) is that folks who "hate" shelters are so keen on expressing, reinforcing, and sharing their hatred. It seems to me there's some kind of group psychology at work here that's intensely mean-spirited and disturbing. I wish I could simply ignore it, but it's difficult.
Well, in retrospect, "hate" is the wrong term for me. I dislike them. The trails I frequent don't have them. The AT seems to be the exception, and when I hit the Smokys on the AT you MUST use them. That is the origin of my opinion. Add the other reasons folks dislike them and I am quick to agree. Also, the Georgia situation in Spring does not help.

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 07:13

Actually, they are all real answers. I was told if I like shelters so much in the "Reasons to avoid Shelters" (Mind you not listed as "Reasons to bash shelters and all that inhabit them) To start my own thread. I atatched a poll to it. Sorry to offend you.

I don't know what is to be "gained" by the OP. It really has no effect on my thoughts. It is the OP's right to start a thread and to present their opinion.
I see my list of responses as being void of silly additions to choices such as "Filth ridden mongrel holes" and including more choices that may suit folks who would bother to reply to such a poll. Someone may say they always stay in shelters just as someone may say they never stay in shelters. That's the point of a poll. If no one chooses "I always stay in shelters" then you have an answer to that. I think the idea of a poll on this is silly but I provided what I thought to be a better range of choices. What I really find odd is that some folks are bothered by others' opinions on shelters when it conflicts with their own opinions. I hate shelters yet it does not bother me that folks flock to them. Seems like folks who like shelters are bothered by folks who voice their disdain for them.

And just for reference, the filth ridden mongrel holes was not a silly choice option, it is CLEAR people feel exactly like that.

I could have added real stupid choices like, Well if my dog doesn't feel good I'll stay in a shelter, or If I stub my toe on a rock 6 miles in and there is a shelter, that's where I stay.

No, I kept it short and concise thank you, and full well knowing that the two most popular votes would be Maybe, and No.

Hey tin man, go back to the hating shelters thread unless you just want to troll some more. Or is that Pole?

Lyle
10-02-2008, 07:25
I didn't vote in the poll because I really don't care to join the argument. It is clear however that the kinder, gentler WhiteBlaze has not been taken to heart by many. They still feel compelled to turn every disagreement into a personal or group attack. Unfortunate.

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 07:31
I didn't vote in the poll because I really don't care to join the argument. It is clear however that the kinder, gentler WhiteBlaze has not been taken to heart by many. They still feel compelled to turn every disagreement into a personal or group attack. Unfortunate.

Not joining an argument means not giving an opinion. Why is that concept so overlooked?

If I started every post "I don't want to post anymore on this topic, but...."

Sometimes these comments......what a joke.

Lyle
10-02-2008, 07:48
Not joining an argument means not giving an opinion. Why is that concept so overlooked?

I made an observation on the argument (and several others going on right now in other threads) not on the topic.

End of my participation.

Blue Jay
10-02-2008, 08:35

I have to agree with this one.:banana

bloodmountainman
10-02-2008, 08:51
Stupid argument going on here! Hikers adapt to whatever the Trail and Ma Nature throws their way. "Any 'ole port in a storm will do".:eek:

wrongway_08
10-02-2008, 09:27
[quote=ed bell;705098If anyone really wants to try a poll, keep it simple.[/quote]

You had trouble understanding this poll :confused: Hiking may cause you big challenges then... North, South, left, right .. . :D

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 09:30
You had trouble understanding this poll :confused: Hiking may cause you big challenges then... North, South, left, right .. . :D

I think I pissed myself laughing so hard.:D

I didn't think I was being too confusing, still my own personal prediction of choice #4, the Maybe it depends will win the day. I highly doubt the yes or the no column will win....

ed bell
10-02-2008, 09:49
You had trouble understanding this poll :confused: Hiking may cause you big challenges then... North, South, left, right .. . :DHey, you're the one named "wrongway".:)

wrongway_08
10-02-2008, 10:07
hey, You're The One Named "wrongway".:)

:) .... :)

NICKTHEGREEK
10-02-2008, 11:59

Homer,

First post huh? Off to a glorious start.:welcome

rafe
10-04-2008, 00:58

Yes or no, after consideration of certain criteria. Including but not limited to:

1. Is it in nice shape?
2. Is it a nice structure?
3. Is it a nice site?
4. Is it empty?
5. What's the water situation?
6. If not empty, at least not too crowded?
7. If not empty, would I enjoy hanging with the folks there?
8. Do I feel like having company tonight?
9. How's the weather?
10. Cold night, fire ring, possibility of finding wood to burn?
11. Picnic table and/or protective overhang?
12. How far off the trail?
13. How far from the nearest road?
14. Have I done all the miles I wanted to do?
15. How does the location fit with tomorrow's plans?
16. How much daylight is left?
17. What are the alternatives?
18. Decent tent sites nearby?

Might seem like a forbidding list, but it's simple, basic stuff. Some of these questions are decided beforehand, others upon arrival. A "yes" decision can be reversed if conditions turn for the worse.

Hooch
10-04-2008, 04:33
......And just for reference, the filth ridden mongrel holes was not a silly choice option, it is CLEAR people feel exactly like that......Since the term mongrel usually refers to dogs, I'd think that the term "vermin" or "rodent infested" would be better choices. Personally, I've never seen a shelter infested by dogs. But to each their own.

greentick
10-04-2008, 05:30
cowboy camp weather permitting, tarp otherwise

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 07:30
Since the term mongrel usually refers to dogs, I'd think that the term "vermin" or "rodent infested" would be better choices. Personally, I've never seen a shelter infested by dogs. But to each their own.

You are correct... but considering both definitions, and the fact that I was "intending" the second one, leave it to interpretation.

Mongrel

1. a dog of mixed breeding
2. something made up of things from a variety of sources: despite using components from three other cars, this new model is no mongrel

NICKTHEGREEK
10-04-2008, 14:19
Since the term mongrel usually refers to dogs, I'd think that the term "vermin" or "rodent infested" would be better choices. Personally, I've never seen a shelter infested by dogs. But to each their own.
Hootch, from what some other threads have implied a dog anywhere on the AT let alone in a shelter is like a plague of locusts. Or at least thats what I thought H&M meant. God help me if I'm beginning to see things his way;).

saimyoji
10-04-2008, 14:46
Yes or no, after consideration of certain criteria. Including but not limited to:

1. Is it in nice shape?
2. Is it a nice structure?
3. Is it a nice site?
4. Is it empty?
5. What's the water situation?
6. If not empty, at least not too crowded?
7. If not empty, would I enjoy hanging with the folks there?
8. Do I feel like having company tonight?
9. How's the weather?
10. Cold night, fire ring, possibility of finding wood to burn?
11. Picnic table and/or protective overhang?
12. How far off the trail?
13. How far from the nearest road?
14. Have I done all the miles I wanted to do?
15. How does the location fit with tomorrow's plans?
16. How much daylight is left?
17. What are the alternatives?
18. Decent tent sites nearby?

Might seem like a forbidding list, but it's simple, basic stuff. Some of these questions are decided beforehand, others upon arrival. A "yes" decision can be reversed if conditions turn for the worse.

Do you stay awake at night thinking of the things you should be worried about? Life's too short to be so analytical about stayin in a damn box or not.

I noticed your hemmorhoids are not a consideration. Perhaps they should be? :jump

weary
10-04-2008, 15:32
I mostly stayed in shelters on my walk home in 1993. It was my impression that most other hikers did so also, or at least tried to. But if I had a vote, I would vote to stop building shelters, because everyone has to -- or should -- carry there own shelter, making shelters superfluous.

I think a picnic shelter with a table is more of a need than a place to sleep these days. However, I'm a voice in the wilderness on these matters. Even Maine, where I have the most influence, continues to build shelters.

Yeah, I know, most of you don't even agree that there is -- or needs to be -- wilderness these days.

I stayed at shelters -- and hostels when available -- because it was easier than setting up my tent. And because shelters kept me more in touch with others on the trail.

For older hikers, one of the many pleasures of thru hiking is to suddenly be again a part of a mostly 20s something community. I found it fascinating and educational.

Based on my 1993 experience and more recent hikes, I find the claims of shelter filth greatly exaggerated. The filth was mostly food wastes desposited in the fire places and my observations suggested that as much or more of that filth was contributed by tenters, who stopped to use the shelters for cooking.

Mice were a minor irritation. But I have seen no evidence that they are a health problem. The only likely mouse related disease occurred in 1993, and there is considerable evidence that it was probably contracted before the victim arrived on the Appalachian Trail.

Weary

NICKTHEGREEK
10-04-2008, 15:47
Do you stay awake at night thinking of the things you should be worried about? Life's too short to be so analytical about stayin in a damn box or not.

I noticed your hemmorhoids are not a consideration. Perhaps they should be? :jump
I bet you say that to all the boys

rafe
10-04-2008, 15:52

The final decision is made in in less time than it took you to post. But if you need the Cliffs Notes version... :cool:

max patch
10-04-2008, 15:56
I think a picnic shelter with a table is more of a need than a place to sleep these days. However, I'm a voice in the wilderness on these matters. Even Maine, where I have the most influence, continues to build shelters.

That is an excellent idea.

rafe
10-04-2008, 16:04
Excellent post, Weary. (Msg. 53 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=706237&postcount=53).) A decent camping area works for me, and especially so if it has a picnic table, and even more so if there's some sort of roof over the table -- so that hikers need not retreat to their tents in the rain.

saimyoji
10-04-2008, 18:54
The final decision is made in in less time than it took you to post. But if you need the Cliffs Notes version... :cool:

I'd have assumed that with your superior intellect you'd have picked up on my not sleeping in shelters; you can have my spot. As for my posting speed, I'll let you know when I'm up to 135 words per minute. As it is, I still think faster than I type. :) Though I know I'm not anywhere near your league, I still have aspirations.

saimyoji
10-04-2008, 18:57
I bet you say that to all the boys

Actually, I admit, I'm not smart enough to come up with that one on my own. :o

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=706127&postcount=353

NICKTHEGREEK
10-05-2008, 12:52
Actually, I admit, I'm not smart enough to come up with that one on my own. :o

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=706127&postcount=353

Nuttin personal, just couldn't resist;)

Homer&Marje
10-05-2008, 17:04
Hootch, from what some other threads have implied a dog anywhere on the AT let alone in a shelter is like a plague of locusts. Or at least thats what I thought H&M meant. God help me if I'm beginning to see things his way;).

See, your pickin up on it:D Scary thought thinking "Am I really as crazy as him"?

Cheer Cheer, heres to sideways looks and offended grandmothers. (Not really trying to offend anyone here) But when you walk into a liquor store coming off your bike wearing your frogg toggs in a monsoon, people tend to look at you weird. One of many social experiments you can try yourself.

No animals were harmed in this post.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-05-2008, 17:26
See, your pickin up on it:D Scary thought thinking "Am I really as crazy as him"?

Cheer Cheer, heres to sideways looks and offended grandmothers. (Not really trying to offend anyone here) But when you walk into a liquor store coming off your bike wearing your frogg toggs in a monsoon, people tend to look at you weird. One of many social experiments you can try yourself.

No animals were harmed in this post.
Yeah, but at my age I'm on some pretty powerful meds and sometimes they just collide

Homer&Marje
10-05-2008, 17:34
Yeah, but at my age I'm on some pretty powerful meds and sometimes they just collide

So you are on my level:D JK I'd say that's hilarious but it's probly true:-?

TOW
10-06-2008, 21:49
So you are on my level:D JK I'd say that's hilarious but it's probly true:-?
There is no freakin way he is on your level young man! Check that crap out folks, the kid thinks that old fart is on his level?

The truth of the matter is that Homer here is not even close to the old mans level!

warraghiyagey
10-07-2008, 08:37
I think I pissed myself....

It'll happen more as you get older

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 09:56
Let me tell you something that happened to me back at TD's in '06.

I had set my tent up right in the middle of Billeville and next thing I know I got three to four Billvillians surrounding me with one of them asking me what I had to say about Billville now? They had me mixed up with someone else who had some crappy things to say here on WB. But I tell you what had I have been that person, I doubt I would be here talking to you right now.

were they dressed in togas or dresses? those billvillians are some rough customers. more than likely they would've told you stories to death:rolleyes:

Hooch
10-07-2008, 10:01
were they dressed in togas or dresses? those billvillians are some rough customers. more than likely they would've told you stories to death:rolleyes:Or made you contra-dance until you drop. :D

jhick
10-07-2008, 10:26
were they dressed in togas or dresses? those billvillians are some rough customers. more than likely they would've told you stories to death:rolleyes:

togas and crocs... now that is one hot look!

Tin Man
10-07-2008, 11:10
togas and crocs... now that is one hot look!

on guys?? :eek:

jhick
10-07-2008, 11:17
on guys?? :eek:

sarcasm my friend.... thick sarcasm.

Tin Man
10-07-2008, 11:26

oh, and i must be thick, i didn't see one of these --> :rolleyes: :D

jhick
10-07-2008, 11:45

oops.... sorry.:o ;)

TOW
10-07-2008, 11:46
Yeah, one was...........Mala.....

Tin Man
10-07-2008, 11:49
oops.... sorry.:o ;)

no problem, just thought you might want to clarify for all the fans :)

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 11:54

i saved mala's butt from a whoopin' by the Hobos one year at the campground. he tried to steal Johnny Reb's rebel flag late one night and ripped it. i talked the guys down

warraghiyagey
10-07-2008, 12:39

no problem, just thought you might want to clarify for all the fans :)
It's like watchin a bunch of rtarts tryin to hump a doorknob.:)
-Rip Torn: Dodgeball

Gray Blazer
10-07-2008, 13:27

Yeah.....his dog will steal your bacon if you don't watch out.

I like that Brad Paisley song. Describes me to a T (not).

And Kanga does deserve an apology from Homer (but he prolly thinks I just insulted him, too).

weathermanbrad
01-01-2009, 18:39
I prefer sleeping in a tent, or if the weather allows, sleeping out under the stars depending on where I am staying for the night.

Lyle
01-01-2009, 19:46
I usually stay in shelters if they are available. I enjoy the social exchanges. Mice aren't all that intimidating plus I don't like packing a wet tent or tarp. Even if it doesn't rain, you will usually have condensation.

I like an early start, not having to pack a tent/tarp is one less thing to do in the AM. Wake up, get dressed, grab a handful of gorp, pack and be on your way in 15 minutes. Stop in an hour or two and make some coffee at a nice view.

Simplicity is nice.

TrippinBTM
01-01-2009, 19:58
I did often, because I'm lazy. It has nothing to do with hiking more, but about relaxing more. Plus, with the unpredictable weather, it sucked packing a wet tent, especially when it's cold. Easier to just use the shelter.

I was always more concerned about the privies, anyways...

sheepdog
01-01-2009, 20:04
I usually stay in shelters if they are available. I enjoy the social exchanges. Mice aren't all that intimidating plus I don't like packing a wet tent or tarp. Even if it doesn't rain, you will usually have condensation.

I like an early start, not having to pack a tent/tarp is one less thing to do in the AM. Wake up, get dressed, grab a handful of gorp, pack and be on your way in 15 minutes. Stop in an hour or two and make some coffee at a nice view.

Simplicity is nice.

That's it!!!:sun

Lone Wolf
01-01-2009, 20:06
so you guys wouldn't hike the AT if it didn't have shelters.

Lyle
01-01-2009, 20:11

No one said that.

Most places I hike don't have shelters. Doesn't mean I can't take advantage of them when they are available. No less of a hiker.

sheepdog
01-01-2009, 20:13
No I would still hike the AT. I just like to use most of the shelters if they are available. I do most of my hiking in Michigan. The only shelters I know of here are in the Porcupine Mountains and I have never used theirs. So 90 percent of my hiking is shelter free.

TrippinBTM
01-02-2009, 11:12
They have shelters in the Porkies? I've been there twice and never seen any...

And yeah, I'd do the AT without shelters. Obviously that's not the main allure of the trail... but since they're there, I used them often.

sheepdog
01-02-2009, 12:08
They have shelters in the Porkies? I've been there twice and never seen any...

Yep, several cabins, teepee's and some yurts. You usually have to have a reservation about a year in advance.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_24196-158770--,00.html

Freeze
01-02-2009, 12:36
I hardly ever tent. Shelters are extremely convinient. If the weather is good, i'll just sleep under the stars. Only thing is if you're sleeping out, make sure someone does not pee on you during the night. When I was in the ARMY, a guy from our platoon pee'ed on our 1st SGT who was rolled up in his poncho next to a tree.

He He. Our 1st SGT was hardcore. Made fun of it the next morning.

Plodderman
01-02-2009, 12:56
Usually stay in shelters but have tented some. Never had any problems with shelters and it is easier.

SouthMark
01-02-2009, 13:32

Non-issue. It does.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 13:34
so the PCT and CDT are out of the question

Bearpaw
01-02-2009, 13:40
so the PCT and CDT are out of the question

The PCT and the CDT have a ton of great views and easier walking. I like that.

The AT has a big green tunnel with shelters and buffets and lots of company. I found out I liked that too.

But you're right, I think, that a LOT of newer hikers wouldn't hike the AT if it weren't for the shelters.

WritinginCT
01-02-2009, 14:44
I intend to tent on my hike for a couple of reasons- neither having to do with shelter-hate specifically.

1) I'm hiking with my dog; and
2) Pictures like this one in the gallery (this one is 2rjs's)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/9/3/9/IMGP1765_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19304&c=searchresults&searchid=20302)

I appreciate snakes' role in the ecosystem, I really do. But I'm NOT sleeping where they slither.

I really like this idea. It still gives folks an area to congregate and socialize and get out the rain if need be. :cool:

Lyle
01-02-2009, 16:41
I intend to tent on my hike for a couple of reasons- neither having to do with shelter-hate specifically.

1) I'm hiking with my dog; and

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/9/3/9/IMGP1765_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19304&c=searchresults&searchid=20302)

I appreciate snakes' role in the ecosystem, I really do. But I'm NOT sleeping where they slither.

I really like this idea. It still gives folks an area to congregate and socialize and get out the rain if need be. :cool:

Just a li'l old black snake. He's just out hunting his supper, prbably a rat or couple of mice. He's a good guy. :D

Slo-go'en
01-02-2009, 17:41
I stopped at a shelter in PA late one afternoon with my hiking partner at the time. We were debating if we should stop for the day or push on when we saw a big old timber rattler come out of the woods and watched it slither between the logs under the shelter. I looked at my partner and said " There probably aren't any mice in this shelter, but I not too keen about sleeping above a rattle snake den". He agreed and we pushed on.

Back to the shelter on not question, I got used to using shelters when there were less hikers on the trail and tents were bulky and heavy. I still like shelters, but now days am using my tent more and more for all the reasons given.

Blue Jay
01-02-2009, 21:09
I stopped at a shelter in PA late one afternoon with my hiking partner at the time. We were debating if we should stop for the day or push on when we saw a big old timber rattler come out of the woods and watched it slither between the logs under the shelter.

I bet it was The Priest Shelter. He's been there a long time and won't bother you as you're too big to swallow.

TrippinBTM
01-03-2009, 14:29

As if they don't slither in places other than the shelters?

But I hear you; with the mice in those things, they do attract snakes. Though I didn't see or hear any mice outside of GA, where one tried to crawl into my sleeping bag with me. Cute little bugger was cold as I was, but I wasn't looking for that kind of sleeping mate...

WritinginCT
01-03-2009, 15:54
Snakes just happen to be the one thing that almost keep me out of the woods in all seriousness. I've learned to be very vigilant while hiking to avoid them whenever possible. And as I said, I do respect their place in the ecosystem- they serve an important role. But the idea of waking out of a peaceful sleep to see a snake up in the rafters above me just gives me the absolute willies. (not to mention the involuntary scream that I'd let loose that would be loud enough to wake the dead for miles)

I know it's a completely irrational fear, and one I am working on, but until (if?) I beat it I'll sleep in my tent with it's nice floor and zippable door. :D

Mags
01-03-2009, 16:02
From a journal entry I wrote: (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,3/)

After Lafayette, I became reacquainted with just how steep the AT can be..VERY! More like a set of stairs than a trail. With rocky, slippery trail and exposed roots it made for an interesting time. Often times the “trail” was really a steep rock slide with a stream flowing through it.

We gratefully reached the Garfield Ridge campsite. No one was in the tent site, or the shelter.

Being lazy, and having it all to ourselves, we decided to use the lean-to. Shelters suck…unless it is cold, rainy, foggy and you have it all to yourselves. :D

So, like others, I prefer my own shelter. But when the shelter is available, not crowded and the weather sucks..Hell, I'll use it! :)

But you're right, I think, that a LOT of newer hikers wouldn't hike the AT if it weren't for the shelters.

I think a lot of new *LD HIKERS* like shelters.

When I started backpacking, I did not even know about lean-tos. I just set up a tent. Heck, the idea of following a trail linearly (as opposed to looking at a map and plotting out a route) was new to me as well until I found about this trail that went from GA to ME. I think my example is pretty common to most people new to backpacking.

Rain Man
01-03-2009, 20:45

I'd MUCH rather sleep in a shelter with a helpful, harmless black snake any day, than a shelter full of mice.

Rain:sunMan

tuswm
01-05-2009, 22:46
yes but I only winter hike so my group usually has it to our selves.

RockDoc
06-29-2009, 15:27
I think that shelters have the greatest attraction to novices, including those townies who hike in from the road to "camp out" in the AT shelter.

Having said that, I have been very happy to stay in shelters in pouring rain storms.

Rockhound
06-29-2009, 15:40
met a few "thru-hikers" this year that I swear must have thought shelters were mandatory. Perfect example is the Thomas Knob shelter in the Grayson Highlands. The shelter is filthy, flies everywhere, very rocky in front of it and it faces the woods. There are beautiful campsites within 1/2 a mile in either direction with some fantastic views. Yet on a beautiful clear day/night there had to be at least 15 to 20 people packed into the shelter while I had my pick of all those sweet camping spots. Thank god for all the sheep or those campsites might have been taken. Hike on shelter rats. Hike on.

Conductor
07-04-2009, 12:32
I use shelters about half and half. Sure does make a nice place to get out of the rain, but the wood floor does tend to be harder than some nice soft dirt. Unfortunately, I didn't really find that many places with nice soft dirt on the AT, mostly varying forms of rock. ;)

Nasty Dog Virus
07-04-2009, 12:43
The weather has to be very bad for me to stay in a shelter. Although I have to admit that I have spent many nights in the old Earl Schaffer Lean-to on Peters Mtn...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/2/3/4/esshelter_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26577&c=567)
always weird looking up the hill at the Taj Mahal in the Woods aka the Peters Mtn Shelter...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/9/2/8/peters_mountain_new_062499_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=968&c=567)
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/1/peters1-med_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2636&c=567)

Cookerhiker
07-04-2009, 13:36
I didn't vote because my choice is "It depends on the time of year, the weather, and how crowded it is."

Surplusman
07-04-2009, 16:50
I don't like to stay in shelters simply because unless I use an air mattress, I am so sore in the morning I can hardly get up. My 62-year old bones protest. Also, I snore real bad! So Mr. Hammock is my friend. Regardless of whether I stay in the shelter or not, I always look around for a broom to sweep the shelter out. Same goes for the privy. :)

SunnyWalker
07-04-2009, 19:32
I agree with Ed Bell right off-the questions posed in this poll were kind of limiting. So i didn't answer. It's no big deal with me. I have never stayed in a shelter yet, but I might. However, when I go hiking I plan to camp. I like hiking AND camping. Staying in a shelter is not camping. By the way, Wrongway-I always wanted to ask you is that a real snake? What kind of snake? Cool pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 (let's have a poll on snakes). :-)

Blue Jay
07-04-2009, 19:47
met a few "thru-hikers" this year that I swear must have thought shelters were mandatory. Perfect example is the Thomas Knob shelter in the Grayson Highlands. The shelter is filthy, flies everywhere, very rocky in front of it and it faces the woods. There are beautiful campsites within 1/2 a mile in either direction with some fantastic views. Yet on a beautiful clear day/night there had to be at least 15 to 20 people packed into the shelter while I had my pick of all those sweet camping spots. Thank god for all the sheep or those campsites might have been taken. Hike on shelter rats. Hike on.

What you said about Thomas Knob you can also say about Sturbridge Mass. filth and flies everywhere. Clearly you never bothered looking from the small hill directly behind the shelter. One of the best views on the AT. Last year I woke up to blowing mist and what looked like phantom ponies and foals moving across the field of vision. Thank god you hiked on puppy rat, keep hiking on.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2009, 20:36

very common among "thru-hikers". scared of the woods, bears, ponies and being alone. they follow the books religiously. they miss out on a helluva lot. oh well :)

Rockhound
07-04-2009, 23:10
What you said about Thomas Knob you can also say about Sturbridge Mass. filth and flies everywhere. Clearly you never bothered looking from the small hill directly behind the shelter. One of the best views on the AT. Last year I woke up to blowing mist and what looked like phantom ponies and foals moving across the field of vision. Thank god you hiked on puppy rat, keep hiking on.
I got my water there so yes smart ass I saw that view. In fact I saw other views just as, if not more impressive, the entire time I was there because I choose not to be a shelter rat. Other advantages are no mice no flies no crowds no filth no nauseous smells, no noise, no graffiti, no litter, no lying in rat turds, less chance of disease.......... the only reason to stay in a shelter is bad weather and even then it would have to be some really bad weather. By the way, Sturbridge is one of those hoity toity New England towns that all the old folks take bus trips to and schoolkids from all around that area take their field trips to. Not a lot of filth. At least less than I saw at Thomas Knob.

Blue Jay
07-05-2009, 20:17
the only reason to stay in a shelter is bad weather and even then it would have to be some really bad weather.

Actually there are a few more. One this is America and we can stay where we like and two you won't be there.

Blue Jay
07-05-2009, 20:21
very common among "thru-hikers". scared of the woods, bears, ponies and being alone. they follow the books religiously. they miss out on a helluva lot. oh well :)

It is also very common for people to be afraid of mice, imagined filth and shelters. They miss a hellova lot. Most people are not afraid of tenting or shelters. The world is not black or white, it comes in colors.

Rockhound
07-05-2009, 20:43
Nothing imagined about the filth. Though I rarely will sleep in a shelter, I will often camp at or near shelter areas. Recently I packed out or at least cleaned up lots of trash at the following shelters Watauga Lake, Vandaventner, Iron MT, Double Springs Abingdon Gap, and Lost Mt. Funny thing is when I returned a week or two later they were trashed again. Hikers are slobs and the ones that stay at shelters doubly so. Thomas Knob an Wise were filthy also but I didn't feel the need or desire to continue cleaning up after the lazy slobs. Also I have no fear of mice. I would just prefer not to sleep with them. I stand by my positon that there are many many more reasons not to stay in shelters than there are to stay in them. Soft comfortable ground as opposed to a hard wooden floor is just 1 more I'll add to the list. Don't be shelter rats people. There are thousands upon thousands of beautiful scenic peacful woods to enjoy. Why stay in a box?

Rockhound
07-05-2009, 20:45
By the way, when I first started out I did often stay in shelters. I just finally smartened up and saw the light. Live and learn.

Tin Man
07-05-2009, 22:35
Nothing imagined about the filth. Though I rarely will sleep in a shelter, I will often camp at or near shelter areas. Recently I packed out or at least cleaned up lots of trash at the following shelters Watauga Lake, Vandaventner, Iron MT, Double Springs Abingdon Gap, and Lost Mt. Funny thing is when I returned a week or two later they were trashed again. Hikers are slobs and the ones that stay at shelters doubly so. Thomas Knob an Wise were filthy also but I didn't feel the need or desire to continue cleaning up after the lazy slobs. Also I have no fear of mice. I would just prefer not to sleep with them. I stand by my positon that there are many many more reasons not to stay in shelters than there are to stay in them. Soft comfortable ground as opposed to a hard wooden floor is just 1 more I'll add to the list. Don't be shelter rats people. There are thousands upon thousands of beautiful scenic peacful woods to enjoy. Why stay in a box?

By the way, when I first started out I did often stay in shelters. I just finally smartened up and saw the light. Live and learn.

ditto. been there, done that... on all points.

this begs the question: do shelter dwellers avoid trails that have no shelters? :-?

ShelterLeopard
07-05-2009, 23:26
I love shelters- hence my trail name. (Shelter Leopard- it means that when groups of hikers, especially like weekend hikers, camp in shelters, I eat them)

Blue Jay
07-06-2009, 10:31
Hikers are slobs and the ones that stay at shelters doubly so.........Don't be shelter rats people. There are thousands upon thousands of beautiful scenic peacful woods to enjoy. Why stay in a box?

Clearly, using your own form of "logic", you want much of the thousands upon thousands of beautiful senic peaceful woods to become what you call "filthy".
You would think you would want slobs to stay in their box. Do you even read what you write? Shelters serve an important and vital part of the most used trail in the world.

Rockhound
07-06-2009, 11:05
Clearly, using your own form of "logic", you want much of the thousands upon thousands of beautiful senic peaceful woods to become what you call "filthy".
You would think you would want slobs to stay in their box. Do you even read what you write? Shelters serve an important and vital part of the most used trail in the world.
By god you're right! My bad. Let's keep all those shelter rat slobs in their boxes.