PDA

View Full Version : trangia

leprechaun
10-01-2008, 19:42
I am thinking about switching from the good ol jetboil to an alcohol stove for my 09 thru, and was wondering where/what to buy? i liked the look of the mini 28 (http://www.rei.com/product/657906) but is this really the best way to use it? (trangias website not so helpful)

oops56
10-01-2008, 19:50
That a good kit and deal also you can just use the burner make up all kinds of set up to suit your needs. Make different pot stands all kids of pot size etc.Plus you can full burner up with alcohol put on lid be ready to go.

Footslogger
10-01-2008, 20:21
I am thinking about switching from the good ol jetboil to an alcohol stove for my 09 thru, and was wondering where/what to buy? i liked the look of the mini 28 (http://www.rei.com/product/657906) but is this really the best way to use it? (trangias website not so helpful)
======================================

I got my first Trangia in 2001 ...a couple years before my thru in 2003. I carried it on my thru and have used it every since.

I would suggest you try and get your hands on the simple Trangia Westwind set-up. Built a wind screen out of flashing.

My wife was a serious propane stove backpacker until she saw my Trangia in action in 2003. Now we each have one and carry them when we hike together. We don't always like to eat the same stuff or at the same time so carrying our own stoves works really well.

'Slogger

Haiku
10-01-2008, 22:42
The Trangia works very well; I've used it and like it. Have you also considered making your own alcohol stove? There are plenty of directions out on the internets, and it's really very simple. I made one five years ago, and it now has over 6,000 trail miles on it and going strong.

Haiku.

SunnyWalker
11-14-2008, 18:14
I have made a change this week to Trangia. I have gone from MSR Whisperlite, to Stratus Trailstove (wood), to Esbitt. This week looking around WB and etc., I decided to look at the alcohol stoves. Wow! Found out that a Trangia had come with me Stratus. I remember ording it with it but put it aside when it came. Did try it once with denatured alcohol. Found out that's the wrong fuel. Found out that the fuel is pretty accessible along the AT, unlike Esbitt tabs. So I think I will start using this Trangia. Quite a change for me. -SunnyWalker

papa john
11-14-2008, 18:44
I have that same kit. There are several features that are really nice.

You can fill the stove and douse the flame when you are through cooking. Saves fuel.
You can simmer with this stove.
The top is also a frypan with a teflon coating.
Lightweight and compact.

The one drawback is that flimsy pot grabber. You'd need something a bit more sturdier.

sheepdog
11-14-2008, 19:02
I have been building and experimenting with alcohol stoves most of this year. I have built more than a dozen different kinds and bought several others. There is a learning curve with the stoves. The hardest thing is knowing how much alcohol to put in your stove. Sometimes 1 ounce gives you a boil, other times if it is colder or raining it takes more. If conditions are ideal it takes less. So the trangia really shines in this department. You can burn it just as long as you want to. I really like this stove.

verber
11-14-2008, 20:20
There are countless alcohol stove options because they are cheap and easy to make. While the trangia has it's fans, it seems like trail designs caldera cone (http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html#caldera) is the current darling because it's pretty efficient, unaffected by wind, and really easy to setup and use. I have a brief list of recommended alcohol stoves (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/backpack/kitchen.html#astoves) with a few personal observations and links to more comprehensive reviews and products that you might find useful.

--mark

garlic08
11-14-2008, 21:36
I also like my Trangia, but I like my hand-made pepsi-can stove more.

Father Dragon
11-14-2008, 21:50
I really like the Vargo stove with the detachable cup burner. It weighs just over 1 oz and is smaller than a can stove. It also has built in legs and a pot stand! You can't really simmer with it but if you are just boiling water you can't go wrong. 2 cups in about five minutes on average for boil time and will light in winter if a flame is kept on it for a minute or so (butane grill lighter); long enough to warm the fuel up to its vapor point.

SunnyWalker
11-15-2008, 11:34
I admit the Caldera cone is sure attractive. I am going to keep working with the Trangia for now. don't want to spend more and not good with my hands making stuff so hae not tried to make a stove. I didn't see any reason to buy another one when I had this one and it is rated pretty good. What sold me was watching You Tube videos on "alcohol stoves". -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
11-15-2008, 11:36
I am going to purchase some flashing from the local ACE hardware for a windscreen. I CAN make that! -SunnyWalker

hnryclay
11-15-2008, 12:15
In all honesty for me the stove was easier to make then the windscreen!!!

mts4602
11-15-2008, 23:40
With alcohol stoves being so light, what pots do you all use with them?

MSR titan kettel?

Grease pot?

Also, what kind of alcohol do you use for these stoves?

Thanks,

MTS

sheepdog
11-15-2008, 23:50
Hard to beat the titan kettle.
Denatured Alcohol or Heet gas line antifreeze in the yellow bottle.

dla
11-16-2008, 02:31
http://mysite.verizon.net/restoq6v/index.html

I've fiddled with Alcohol stoves and I settled on the Trangia as the best of breed commercial burners. I have my own setup, but I'm impressed with the Westwind setup.

Footslogger
11-16-2008, 11:14
Tried more stoves than there are hours in the day but keep coming back to my Trangia.

Trangia's Rock and are made for the long haul ...

'Slogger

ofthearth
11-16-2008, 16:36
Is there a stove workshop at SORUC? Would be nice to see some of these stoves in action.

SunnyWalker
11-24-2008, 00:14
Go to You Tube and do a search on pretty much any stove. I have found lots of videos there to watch.