PDA

View Full Version : ZERO days master plan

2009ThruHiker
10-01-2008, 19:43
I thought about putting this in the polls, but I think it will suffice here. For thru-hikers:
If you could only take 10 zero town days where would they be? Rank them if possible. Would it be more because of spacing them out evenly, or would it be due to the town/location itself and what it had to offer?

This will be fun to see some responses....and it will help me plan some definite ones along the trail for our upcoming thru....thanks!

MOWGLI
10-01-2008, 19:47
I wouldn't plan zeros days. Take them as needed. There are some great small towns like Monson, ME that would be great for a final rest day. Did one there.

Blissful
10-01-2008, 19:50
Main zero towns, ranked in order of likeability and importance for me -

Gorham
Damascus
Hot Springs
Franklin
Hanover
Harpers Ferry (I didn't take a zero here but it would probably be good as it's an interesting town.)

But we did lots of neros. Hike in four to eight miles, get to town late AM, relax the rest of the day, hike out the next day.

2009ThruHiker
10-01-2008, 19:51
I wouldn't plan zeros days. Take them as needed. There are some great small towns like Monson, ME that would be great for a final rest day. Did one there.

Thanks. I still want to plan some anyway. Good advice too...I also plan on keeping some as rest days, to take as needed...but I'm hoping to get a feel of people's opinions of the best places.

KG4FAM
10-01-2008, 20:01
Defiantly take one in Damascus and ride the Creeper down from Whitetop.

Kirby
10-01-2008, 20:16
Hot Springs is great for a zero, took one in Damascus as well. Essentially took one in Hanover,NH. Monson was needed and deserved. One thing I regret is not taking with at Kincora to do trail work, I was too focused, I believe, on moving forward.

Had plenty of time to spare at the end.

Kirby

rafe
10-01-2008, 20:19
Agree w/Mowgli that zeroes are best left unplanned. That said, certain towns right on the trail make good stops -- Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, North Adams/Williamstown, Hanover, and of course Monson. Lots of great towns "just off" the trail, too many to name...

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 20:23

yeah. listen to mowgli. the only thing you should "plan" is the day you start walking

Lone Wolf
10-01-2008, 20:26
Defiantly take one in Damascus and ride the Creeper down from Whitetop.

defiantly? nah. spend time with me. i'll show you damascus :)

KG4FAM
10-01-2008, 20:31
defiantly? nah. spend time with me. i'll show you damascus :)damn spell check putting the wrong words in.

A-Train
10-01-2008, 21:42
Definately agree with Mowgli, don't plan the zeros. Use them wisely. Maybe you'll get caught in a snowstorm or have to wait out weather. Maybe you'll be sore and hurt and need to rest somewhere.

If I were to hike again, I'd probably take zeros in the following places:

Standing Bear or Hot Springs, Erwin or Kincorra, Damascus, Waynesboro, Duncannon, maybe Upper Goose Pond, Gorham or Andover ME, Caratunk or Monson.

Kirby
10-02-2008, 06:49
Take the Creeper Trail out of Damascus.

Kirby

rafe
10-02-2008, 08:26
Take the Creeper Trail out of Damascus.

I guess anyone who meets LW in town gets that advice. ;) It's a really nice hike. Nice change of pace from the old white blaze.

MOWGLI
10-02-2008, 08:45
If you want a day off, go in to NYC for a full day. If you can find someplace safe to leave your pack (like in a house, car or business), all the better. It's not a trail town, but it would be great fun.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 09:06
I guess anyone who meets LW in town gets that advice. ;) It's a really nice hike. Nice change of pace from the old white blaze.

it's a no brainer.flat, next to a creek most of the way and a nice little cafe'

The Solemates
10-02-2008, 12:29
that's exactly what we did: we took 10 zeroes. but 3 of them were not necessarily planned/wanted*

-hot springs
-damascus
-*port clinton (we took 1 zero and 1 nero bc we had to wait on a mail drop and got there saturday afternoon)
-near SNP - off for Easter day
-Vernon/NYC - we took 2 zeroes to go into the city and play
-*rutland,vt - we went to the hospital for my wife, who had developed a stomach ulcer
-*millinocket - we took a zero to wait for family to climb Big K with us

-cannot remember the other 2 right now

if i were to do the trail again, i would do all neroes and no zeroes

RITBlake
10-02-2008, 12:57
During our 5 month thru hike we took 30 zero days.

They were all amazing.

Kirby
10-02-2008, 15:01
Go into NYC if possible, it's a crazy adventure when you come straight off the trail. I went from seeing 10 people a day to seeing 10 people in .000005 second. Craziness.

Kirby

Bearpaw88
10-02-2008, 15:38
I can only speak personally of the towns and places to zero from GA-N. VA

Damascus of coarse was great. Dots is a great place that can suck in maultiple zeros:)

My favorite zero days however where taken on the trail. Most zero days hikers still have so much to do: laundry, re-supply, post office, internet if available that there supposed day off is spent busy with hiker chores. I would recommend one day hiking out of a town with exta good food and finding a beautiful campsite (not shelter) and relaxing the whole day in the woods whittling away your food bag! It is great.

I took a zero at Kincorea (about 50 miles before Damascus) to do trail work, as Kirby mentioned he would liked to have, and it was well worth it. BobPeoples (owner) is a great guy and long time maintainer of the trail.

Good Luck!

Serial 07
10-02-2008, 16:20
i'm in the "don't plan your zeros" camp...you never know when you'll want to stop and reasons will abound to do so...but things i liked that are (and aren't) on the list:

Damascus (if you can get face time with the vice mayor, then this stop is the best)
Dalton, MA
Unionville, NY
Port Clinton!
Kincora is great, but an easy near-O is from there to Sutton's in Hampton, TN...

fiddlehead
10-02-2008, 22:03
Mowgli's got it right in post #2.
Why plan for something like this?

If you were to allot yourself 10 days, and then after 4 or 5 of them, you got a sore knee and had to rest a week, would that mean your allotment is up already?

Too much planning can ruin a trip. Just go hike and when you are tired, stop.
When you feel good, walk.

If you are looking at the AT as a way to see the touristy things around it, chances are you'll see plenty but won't finish your thru-hike.

Simple is best. Less is more. and all that.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2008, 22:25
While I agree that most rest stops should be taken as needed and not planned, there are still some wonderful places you'll want to consider:

*Franklin NC which has great facilities for hikers, and also has Ron Haven, one
the Trail's best friends.
*Hot Springs is a great place to take some time, especially if you had a
rough time in the Smokies.
*I'd take a zero in Erwin, especially if Miss Janet has a new hostel open
*Kincora Hostel is a great place to take a zero.
*Damascus is still the friendliest town on the Trail and is a great place to
spend some down time.
*You'll be in Virginia a long time. Pearisburg is a good place to get some
rest.
*And Waynesboro is even better.
*You'll want a break in Pennsylvania. Duncannon is the place to do it.
*The mid-Atlantic states will wear on you. Delaware Water Gap is a good
spot to take a break.
*A day off heading into the White Mountains is a good idea. Some extra
time in Hanover is well worth it.
*And you'll want a break AFTER the Whites, too. Take it in Gorham.
*One last rest before your last push is a good idea, and Monson is small,
but it's quiet, and has everything you'll need.

Anyway, that's a dozen possibilities. But really, take breaks wherever and whenever you feel you need them, and I'd always pack extra food in case you want to just stop and take a zero in the middle of nowhere. You asked about good spots for a zero, and I remember that some of my best zero days were nowhere near a town.

Kirby
10-03-2008, 13:31
Don't forget Hanover, NH. Cookie and I had a great time in that town simply because our standards were so low. The outing club answers all questions you could have about the trail, and they allow you to store you stuff down stairs(unprotected, but most people in that building want new gear, not old thru hiker stuffs). They have the best coffee shop on the trail.

Now, as far as camping goes, the line is vague, Jack can correct me on this one:

I camped just past the field in the woods about 10 yards to the left of the trail head sign. I believe it's ok to camp there, but not on the field.

Anyway, great town to rest in. I did a 1.5 mile day and left at 7:30PM after eating dinner.

Ron Haven is amazing, that's where you can truly do nothing. You can rest all day and then at 4PM he will load you into his bus and take you anywhere in town you need to go.

Kirby

Lybarger
10-03-2008, 13:43
Regarding Kincora, I understand giving back to the trail in the form of trail maintenance, but why zero there? It is in the middle of nowhere & Damascus is just a few days away.

Bearpaw88
10-03-2008, 13:43
*A day off heading into the White Mountains is a good idea.

Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff. Great place! Right at the base of Mt. Moosalauki (sp?)

Bearpaw88
10-03-2008, 13:46
Regarding Kincora, I understand giving back to the trail in the form of trail maintenance, but why zero there? It is in the middle of nowhere & Damascus is just a few days away.

Because it is relaxing, comfortable, and run by a wonderful man. There is no T.V or internet and it is a place you can truely do nothing and have a great time doing it. Rustic, serene, and wonderful. Plus you won't end up spending a ton of money on food, beer if you drink, and all the other things that can whittle a hikers budget down.

Jack Tarlin
10-03-2008, 13:49
Lybarger:

One spends extra time at Kincora because it is one of the greatest and most unique places on the Trail, and because Bob Peoples is without question one of the finest people you'll meet on your entire trip. The fact that it's in the middle of nowhere is irrelevant. It's a tough place to leave and you'll WANT to spend extra time there. Trust me on this one.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2008, 14:24

or take a day off in Hampton at the Braemar Castle hostel. hardly anyone goes there and you have access to restaurants, grocery and a beer bar

dessertrat
10-03-2008, 15:40
When your legs feel like they are about to fall off when you are walking up hills that wouldn't have given you any trouble a day or two before, and food and drink don't help it, then it's time to take a zero or a nero.

Serial 07
10-03-2008, 16:00
Erwin, TN isn't worth the stop if Miss Janet's isn't open...no more burrito joint (which sucks!) and the hostel there is 50/50 when it comes to having a good time...

The Solemates
10-03-2008, 16:27
that's exactly what we did: we took 10 zeroes. but 3 of them were not necessarily planned/wanted*

-hot springs
-damascus
-*port clinton (we took 1 zero and 1 nero bc we had to wait on a mail drop and got there saturday afternoon)
-near SNP - off for Easter day
-Vernon/NYC - we took 2 zeroes to go into the city and play
-*rutland,vt - we went to the hospital for my wife, who had developed a stomach ulcer
-*millinocket - we took a zero to wait for family to climb Big K with us

-cannot remember the other 2 right now

if i were to do the trail again, i would do all neroes and no zeroes

pearisburg was one of two I couldnt remember earlier. wasnt planned, but we really enjoyed having the catholic log cabin to ourselves. it was snowing that day and we just sat by the fire all day. it was picture perfect winter day sitting by a wood fire in a log cabin reading a book.

still cant remember the other zero, but maybe it will come to me.