PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap "update"

A-Train
10-01-2008, 21:21
Dropped into town after a hike today, thanks to a day off with the Jewish new year. It's been probably 2 years since I've been in DWG, and I couldn't help thinking what a great little trail town this is.

There is a "new" outfitter in town called "Woods Creek" which is in its 2nd season and says they've had plenty of thru's, include 3 today! Though the place is small, kinda pricey and geared more toward the working professional dayhiker who can shell out 80 bucks for a day pack, this place ain't bad and is pretty friendly. They've got a few ultalight packs (Granite Gr and Golite) and has things helpful to thru's like aquamira, cannisters, Jetboil stuff, z-rests, accessories, and most importantly a small selection of trail runners and boots. It may not be the cheapest, but it's way more convenient than going to Strousdburg (which doesn't have all this stuff) or waiting till Kent CT.

The Bakery seems to be better than I remembered, or they have added more options. In addition to their excellent bake goods (and free donut pieces!) they've got sandwiches, meat pies, ice cream, and breakfast items. And even in this financial crisis, they still offer their hot dog and apple pie slice for $1.25

The Diner and Pizza joint are still open, as are the Sycamore Grill, the more upscale Deers Head Inn and I couldn't tell whether the breakfast place is still open.

I haven't spoken with Pastor Karen in awhile, but I know she welcomes hikers to attend Sunday mass if they are interested.

Short of a good resupply place, this town pretty much has it all: an affordable hostel, a decent motel for those seeking privacy, a few good restaurants, and outfitter, and a PO all within a few minutes walk.

Gotta love PA!

STEVEM
10-01-2008, 21:40
I used to work in Stroudsburg, PA. Stopped at the DWG bakery every Friday night on the way home to load up on good stuff for the weekend. No hiker should miss the opportunity to stuff his face full of apple pie at The Village Farmer Bakery.

knicksin2010
10-01-2008, 22:52
I was there this past weekend doing a yo-yo run of the gap. The leaves and grasses were starting to change color. Really cool.

TOW
10-02-2008, 05:00
DWG is a good stop.........

Doc
10-02-2008, 08:12
I was in DWG less than two weeks ago. I think that the new outfitter is called Edge of the Woods, 570-421-6681. I found Chuck to be very friendly and helpful. The place was clearly geared towards hiker's needs. The motel doesn't seem to exist anymore as a functioning business. It seems to have shut down and appears abandoned. There did seem to be some indications that the small resturant across from the hostel may open next year.

Doc

mudhead
10-02-2008, 08:23
I would pay $80 for a good day pack. I paid $45 in '85, 1/2 price sale, and it still works better than the last two bargains I have tried to replace it with.

Sorry to drift.

rafe
10-02-2008, 08:39
I enjoyed my short stay in DWG. Friendly easy-going hostel. As you said, the only negative is the lack of decent food-resupply and laundromat. The folks at the canoe place (Pack Shack?) will shuttle you to Stroudsburg for cheap.

Jeff
10-02-2008, 09:42
Is the church hostel there donation or a set fee?

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 09:44
Is the church hostel there donation or a set fee?

donation which means most hikers will leave nothing

Marta
10-02-2008, 09:45
Good to hear things are looking up there. The lower part of town was pretty much wrecked by the flooding in '06.

A-Train
10-02-2008, 09:47
donation which means most hikers will leave nothing

Unfortunately. It pains me everytime I hear thru-hikers refer to places like these as "free".

Not to get too off topic, but Pastor Karen has been running a great hostel for years and also inviting hikers to take part in their weekly community BBQ's, and attend masses.
as Yogi would say "Leave a donation, you know its the right thing to do".