PDA

View Full Version : 2 months on the PCT

happycowinca
10-03-2008, 02:55
Hi guys. I was looking to section out the PCT this summer (college summers unfortunately are not 5 months!) and was wondering where I should start/how far I should expect to get.
My school year ends May 22, so I can be on the Trail May 23 really. I have to be back home by July 25. So I was wondering what you guys thought about it. I am pretty fit and plan on going pretty light (<25 lbs) so Ill probably be able to go 20+ miles a day, and because of the shortness, I don't really plan on taking any Nero's.
PS I live in San Diego so that might affect it (maybe hike south???)

Mr. Parkay
10-03-2008, 03:19
Hey Happycowinca,

My recommendation would be to start at the Saufley's and hike North from there. That way you would be able to make friends with "the herd" of other PCT hikers, plus you might be able to make it though the Sierra's within your time frame.

Hiking Southbound makes sense logistically since you would be walking home. However, you would be hiking alone the whole time since hardly anyone else would be walking that direction.

Hi guys. I was looking to section out the PCT this summer (college summers unfortunately are not 5 months!) and was wondering where I should start/how far I should expect to get.
My school year ends May 22, so I can be on the Trail May 23 really. I have to be back home by July 25. So I was wondering what you guys thought about it. I am pretty fit and plan on going pretty light (<25 lbs) so Ill probably be able to go 20+ miles a day, and because of the shortness, I don't really plan on taking any Nero's.
PS I live in San Diego so that might affect it (maybe hike south???)

taildragger
10-03-2008, 10:05
I would actually start a little south of Agua Dulce just to get yourself in shape before you start the desert.

I started in the desert this year and got hammered due to a poor start choice and having salmonella. You can still make it through the sierra's, or most of the sierra's (at least to Mammoth)

Hopefully you have a better experience than I did (great hiking, but I was pretty dead till I got off after hanging around Yosemite trying to figure out what I should do and realizing that I was out of money)

Jim Adams
10-03-2008, 10:13
Start at Kennedy Meadows and hike to the summit of Whitney then just do the JMT part of the PCT. Take 20lbs. of film or a GOOD digital camera, camp at every beautiful spot that you want to, do 5 mile days with alot of zeros, alot of side hikes (the big trees) and fishing and totally enjoy yourself.
If you can stand to go that slow...you will have a great trip.

geek

Sly
10-03-2008, 10:41
If you're starting May 25, you want to start south of Kennedy Meadows, unless you're really good map and compass and hiking in snow. In normal snow years, conventional wisdom says not to enter the Sierras from KM before June 15.

The trail north of Agua Dulce is relatively easy until you reach the Sierras, so you'll be able to get your trail legs.

The Saufley's should be able to arrange to pick you up and take care of your needs to get going.

http://www.hikerheaven.com/

Don't miss the Anderson's 20 miles north of AD, and don't stay there 3 weeks like I did!

happycowinca
10-03-2008, 18:35
So if I was starting out at Hiker Heaven, how far would I realistically be able to go?

Sly
10-03-2008, 20:26
So if I was starting out at Hiker Heaven, how far would I realistically be able to go?

Well, it you're doing 20's you could come close to making the Oregon border.

Boudin
10-03-2008, 21:00
As the munchkins say in the land of Oz, it's always best to start at the beginning. If you are in reasonable shape, and you don't stop to party too much, you should make it through the Sierras.

Some great friends are giving you advice. The Saufleys are wonderful people, but some miles under your belt before you get there. You will appreciate them more.

If you start at Kennedy Meadows, you may be too early and snow will be a problem. Geek is probably the best friend that I have in this world, but he hates the desert.

With the time that you have, experience as much as you can! There are some wonderful spots before the Sierras. If you have not hiked out west, it takes getting used to seeing almost forever. You won't go up and over a mountain the same way that you do on the AT. It can be frustrating, but don't deprive yourself of the experience. There are several wonderful mountain ranges to cross before the Mojave Desert. Each range is different. I didn't know that mountains could run east/west until I crossed the San Gabriels. Until then, I thought they all ran north/south.

The Mojave Desert was incredible. I think I had a religious experience. Wait , no, that was an infection and bourbon! I loved it.

What ever your decision.....have a great time and make some great friends!

PS. If you stop at the Paradise Corner....Please have a Fat Tire for me. I can't get one in Georgia.

TwoForty
10-03-2008, 22:43
I think Paradise corner can claim the title of the best meal I have ever had. It was just a great place to end the day.

I would start at Wrightwood. You can get your trail legs by the time you hit the Saufleys and cross the Mojave. Then enjoy the Sierra. With 2 months, you'll get well into norcal.

Enjoy!

happycowinca
10-04-2008, 04:35
Im thinking that maybe starting a little bit earlier than the Saufley's might in fact be a good idea.

Since I have a 3 week vacation for the winter (Dec 22ish-Jan17) I was thinking I might do a 2.5 week hike starting in San Diego, just as a sort of shake down hike (I've never done more than 6 days, and I have a lot of new gear). Would I be able to make it from Campo to Wrightwood in the Winter in two/three weeks (Id like to section it just right so I dont have any gaps). This would also help me decide if Lonnnng distance hiking is something will really enjoy.

wandering_bob
10-04-2008, 11:54
Most unlikely.

Do the math......

To make this easier, let's ignore the travel time between home and trailheads, plus the off-trail miles needed to reach resupply points and return to the trail, and say you don't take any zero days.....

Campo to Wrightwood is 372 miles.

372 miles in 21 days = 17-3/4 miles per day (a doable rate)

372 miles at 20 mpd = 18-2/3 days. (That's stretching 2-1/2 weeks)

Topography and weather rather than distance will the determining factors here, especially for someone new to long distance hiking AND with new untested gear. Since you didn't discuss it, I'm assuming your cross-country navigation experience is minimal, especially over miles of snow-buried trail.

Ignoring Mount Laguna, you have 2 long sections (approaching and leaving both Idyllwild and Big Bear City) totalling 100 miles where you will be above 6000 feet. You'll top 8700 feet north of Idyllwild before facing the descent of Fuller Ridge, and another 8500+ south of Big Bear. I've not done these sections, but if the reports from hikers in past years are any indication, I think you'd be taking your life in your hands trying that in the winter. Warner Springs Monty would be a good source of data for that.

Shake down your new gear BEFORE you start this journey. There is almost no public transportation at or near the trail in southern CA, even during the summer. Once you leave Campo, getting in and out will be tricky at best. Not a good place to find out that you or your gear aren't up to the task.

A-Train
10-04-2008, 13:49
I like the idea of starting in Wrightwood (not too hard to get to, some miles under your belt by the time you hit Saufleys) but I'd start in Big Bear City. The section between BBC and Wrightwood is just sooo nice, sooo easy and really the most pleasant way to start a hike. You will be up in the 7000-8000 ft pine forest and out of the hot sun and desert until you drop into Deep Creek Hot Springs.

Starting at BBC, you should still see plenty of thrus at the Saufleys and will catch the back of the pack at Kennedy Meadows. At this point you can take your time enjoying the Sierras, with no Canada to make. I'd think you'll get to Tahoe easily, maybe further than that.

Sly
10-04-2008, 18:41
I'm not getting why the OP would need miles before he got to the Saufley's? It's not like Donna isn't going to help and the trail after there isn't hard either.

With that said, anywhere south of Aqua Dulce would be fine as to not get you to the High Sierra too soon.

happycowinca
10-05-2008, 00:20
I see what your saying Wandering Bob, thank you for helping me avoid a serious mistake :). Maybe just hiking from Campo to Idyllwild, and making up the difference later? One thing I've been wondering is about water availability in the winter. While I know the PCT in southern California isn't anything like the AT, would I still be able to find water? Or is hiking this during the winter something so stupid nobody has actually tried it?
One other question I have. Since I wont be thruhiking, what would be the suggested mode of transportation BACK to San Diego? Once its approaching July 24, should I find the nearest airport and hopefully get a ticket? Maybe buses? how expensive can this be?

wandering_bob
10-05-2008, 16:00
Happy:
You have a PM
WB

mts4602
10-15-2008, 22:35
I am in the same situation as you, I am looking to start the trail around the 11th of May and I have no idea where I should start my hike.

taildragger
10-15-2008, 23:12
South of Agua Dulce, get some trail legs before the long stretches of desert, or north of the major desert hauls (I cannot for the life of me recall what town I'm thinking of to hop back on, somewhere around mojave when you start getting back into elevation).

I started in the desert, was sick when started, and was absolutely hammered by the sun. I think that had I started somewhere with shorter distances between water I could have easily gutted through it.

A-Train
10-15-2008, 23:54
I am in the same situation as you, I am looking to start the trail around the 11th of May and I have no idea where I should start my hike.

Do you have 2 months also, or when is your end date?

With the PCT, you don't have a ton of options in May for a starting location, as you'll basically be relegated to the desert, somewhere.

I'd suggest starting in Big Bear City. Fairly easy transportation to nearby Big Bear Lake and it's a fairly easy first few days to get your legs under you. Also you'll start this section at a higher elevation with plentiful shade and less distance between water sources. This will give you plenty of time to get into shape and wait for the snow to melt in the Sierras before mid June. There will be people around to make the transition an easier one.

You could start in Campo, but why drag yourself through the entire 700 mile desert if you won't be completing the trail in one year?

Sly
10-16-2008, 02:16
South of Agua Dulce, get some trail legs before the long stretches of desert, or north of the major desert hauls (I cannot for the life of me recall what town I'm thinking of to hop back on, somewhere around mojave when you start getting back into elevation).

There's nothing in the first 700 miles one can consider hard except for perhaps entering the San Jacinto Wilderness and the stretch out of Wrightwood. North from AD to KM is relatively easy.

taildragger
10-16-2008, 03:48
There's nothing in the first 700 miles one can consider hard except for perhaps entering the San Jacinto Wilderness and the stretch out of Wrightwood. North from AD to KM is relatively easy.

I thought the trail was easy but the sun was intense.

But then again, I was sick and couldn't keep a salt balance.

My thought was that if I could do it again, I would start somewhere with shorter distances to known water until I get trail legs to start pushing myself close to 20MPD. I know the pace is doable for many, but 20MPD out the gate can be hard on many as well.

JMHO

mts4602
10-16-2008, 09:37
Do you have 2 months also, or when is your end date?

Pending acceptance to law school, I have about 3 months...a little less as I would probably like to be back home by the beginning of August. If not, I may decide to do the whole trail.

Yeah, I don't care to start at campo at all. My main concern is to see as much of the trail as possible in the time I have. If there is going to be less of something, it can be the desert.

mts4602
10-16-2008, 09:41
My thought was that if I could do it again, I would start somewhere with shorter distances to known water until I get trail legs to start pushing myself close to 20MPD. I know the pace is doable for many, but 20MPD out the gate can be hard on many as well.

JMHO

Right from the start, 20 is a lot, even on the PCT. I've never done over 13 in one day so I'm going to have to train a lot here before I go.

A-Train
10-16-2008, 12:47
Pending acceptance to law school, I have about 3 months...a little less as I would probably like to be back home by the beginning of August. If not, I may decide to do the whole trail.

Yeah, I don't care to start at campo at all. My main concern is to see as much of the trail as possible in the time I have. If there is going to be less of something, it can be the desert.

Cool. I'd start at BBC, like I mentioned last time, and take my sweet time the entire way, ending around Truckee or Sierra City. That should give you PLENTY of time to smell the roses, get your legs and enjoy the Sierra to the fullest and not rush. You could easily finish the JMT, and spend some time down in Yosemite Valley, climbing half-Dome.

The other route would be to stick to a 20+mpd thru-hiker-esque schedule and try to get up near Ashland, OR by early August, which is doable if the snow is low next year and you don't take a lot of time off.

Either way, it's a win-win.

mts4602
10-18-2008, 14:09
Thanks A-Train