PDA

View Full Version : Water around the Priest and Three Ridges

Footloose
10-03-2008, 11:57
Hi, I was wondering how the water is around the Priest and Three Ridges area in Virginia. I see there are lots of creeks on the map, but I dont know they are dry now or not. Planning on Staying at Harpers Creek shelter if anyone knows how that creek is also.

Thanks!,
Footloose

rafe
10-03-2008, 13:50
Stayed at Harpers Creek last summer ('07, it was a verrry dry summer...) The creek wasn't running but there was a good sized pool of water in the creek bed below the shelter that was quite usable after filtering. The next shelter downhill (southbound) had a stream that was running quite well. Priest Shelter had useable water... just barely. The shelter just south of there (Seely-Woodworth??) had a piped spring that was flowing nicely.

Worm
10-03-2008, 14:22
I hiked U.S. Rt. 60 to Rockfish Gap last week. The water levels are low indeed. Cow Camp Shelter spring is barely flowing (had to dip water); Seeley-Woodworth Shelter has a piped spring that is flowing; The Priest Shelter, like Cow Camp is barely flowing had to dip here too; The creek at Harpers Creek Shelter is not flowing, there is a pool of cold water but no flow; Maupin Field Shelter has no perceptable flow at its spring but there is a small pool of cold water that is being used; Don't count on the springs listed along the Blue Ridge Parkway they are all dry. The picnic area near Humpback Rocks has tap water at least until they close it for the season; The creek at Paul C. Wolfe Shelter is shallow but flowing. If you go be prepaired to take water where you find it, as you find it. Hope this helps.

Footloose
10-03-2008, 14:32
Thanks for the info! I'm just going from the crabtree side trail to the three ridges overlook, I'll bring a little extra water.

Worm
10-03-2008, 14:55
My pleasure.

Richard Snider
10-03-2008, 19:45
Water sources are good in the valley between The Priest & Three ridges. There is a shelter on the south side of The Priest summit the is generally pretty reliable. There is one fairly reliable spring on the north side of Three Ridges Summit that is reasonably reliable even in fairly dry weather. I live in Waynesboro VA which is pretty close to the Three Ridges/The Priest area and we haven't had much rain here for about a week and a half. Also between Humpback Rocks to Rockfish Gap the water sources can be a little scarce in dry weather but the should still be decent.

Tin Man
10-03-2008, 23:16
let's see. we got a water report from last year and last week. wonder which one is relevant? :rolleyes:

rafe
10-04-2008, 03:54
let's see. we got a water report from last year and last week. wonder which one is relevant? :rolleyes:

I was the first to respond to the OP, and made it clear that my observations were from last year. I'm happy for the OP that newer information has been provided since my post.

But let's think this through, OK? Last summer was acknowledged to be an extreme drought year. I don't know if this summer is better or worse, but the OP is from Blacksburg VA, so is in a reasonable position to judge that for himself, and to gauge the relevance of my clearly-dated information.

Now, what I mentioned were sources that were flowing well, in a drought year. Think, Tin Man. You might also note that Worm's account of the situation at Seeley-Woodworth, Priest Shelter, and Harpers Creek bears an uncanny resemblance to mine.

Tin Man
10-04-2008, 08:42
I was the first to respond to the OP, and made it clear that my observations were from last year. I'm happy for the OP that newer information has been provided since my post.

But let's think this through, OK? Last summer was acknowledged to be an extreme drought year. I don't know if this summer is better or worse, but the OP is from Blacksburg VA, so is in a reasonable position to judge that for himself, and to gauge the relevance of my clearly-dated information.

Now, what I mentioned were sources that were flowing well, in a drought year. Think, Tin Man. You might also note that Worm's account of the situation at Seeley-Woodworth, Priest Shelter, and Harpers Creek bears an uncanny resemblance to mine.

OP was asking for current water conditions. What's current about last year? Although by your standards, your response is current compared to most of your others all over the board. :rolleyes:

kanga
10-06-2008, 11:12
Stayed at Harpers Creek last summer ('07, it was a verrry dry summer...) The creek wasn't running but there was a good sized pool of water in the creek bed below the shelter that was quite usable after filtering. The next shelter downhill (southbound) had a stream that was running quite well. Priest Shelter had useable water... just barely. The shelter just south of there (Seely-Woodworth??) had a piped spring that was flowing nicely.

thanks for the current events, very helpful...

DAKS
10-06-2008, 11:36
the creek at harpers creek shelter was running great on thursday 10/02/2008. maupin shelter spring was slow, but still dripping with some decent pools to dip from. there was a fairly good spring just after maupin shelter going sobo as you near the summit of three ridges. prolly' about 2-3 miles south of maupin shelter? mau-har trail had plenty of water down around the falls. good luck!