PDA

View Full Version : First snow!

Slo-go'en
10-03-2008, 20:53
The summits of Mt Adams and Madison have been obscured by clouds for the better part of this week. The clounds finally lifted and the rain ended this evening, exposing a freash coating of snow above tree line! :banana

The leaves are starting to fall off the trees quickly now, but there should still be some good color left around here for the weekend. Hope I get up early enough to take some pictures in the morning before the sun gets a chance to melt the new snow on the summits!

Summit
10-03-2008, 21:26
The summits of Mt Adams and Madison have been obscured by clouds for the better part of this week. The clounds finally lifted and the rain ended this evening, exposing a freash coating of snow above tree line! :banana

The leaves are starting to fall off the trees quickly now, but there should still be some good color left around here for the weekend. Hope I get up early enough to take some pictures in the morning before the sun gets a chance to melt the new snow on the summits!I'm jealous. It's still green as can be here in the North Carolina Piedmont. My son is in Burlington, VT on business at this very moment. He called today and said the colors are awesome there, looking across Lake Champlain at the Adirondacks. Hopefully I'll see some good fall foliage on my upcoming hike week after next in northern NC.

Blissful
10-03-2008, 21:46
Wow, that time of year already! Hard to believe.

sasquatch2014
10-03-2008, 22:22
I have the washington Observatory site on my bookmarks and I could tell it was snowing up there today also only 5 degrees at the summit. Way down here in NY we only go into the 50's and tonight the temp dropped fast.

Lion King
10-03-2008, 22:33
Dude, In Squaw Valley and they are getting an early winter storm tonight...6 inches snow above 6500 tonight and tomorrow and I'll be in it...tomorrow that is.

Crazy

adventurousmtnlvr
10-03-2008, 22:55
I'm jealous too! I love the look of snow and all the various types. I had no idea until I got into snow skiing in different States and countries how different the snow is everywhere. And I love the ice on the trees (until it falls and knocks you out, lol ouch!). But sure is pretty :) And the air is so much nicer to breath! Lucky you. I'm too far south in Tn so we only get it probably 15 to 20 days but it never stays. The only thing I don't miss is when I lived in Seattle area ... the slush and mud in the house on white carpet ... not fun. And digging tunnels for my very short dog so he could use the bathroom, lol. But he was soo cute with all the ice and snow on his fur face :) Save some snow for the rest of us!!!

rafe
10-03-2008, 22:57
Wow. I was up on the summit of Jefferson, weekend before last... in shorts.

woodsy
10-04-2008, 05:48
Bring it on, the woods will once again be all mine. No offense to anyone, just like that feeling i get in winter when there is most likely no one else around for many miles.
And don't start lecturing me about solo winter hiking...!!

Kirby
10-04-2008, 07:06
Maine winter hiking is sick if your prepared.

Kirby

Homer&Marje
10-04-2008, 07:32
Can't wait. More snow the better. Going this weekend for the last of the foliage pics... will be back to share.

horicon
10-04-2008, 07:46
Hiking the AT in the winter??

sasquatch2014
10-04-2008, 08:18

Absolutely. Had a bunch of great trip during the winter months. No crowds and a hell of a lot more views. Heck its not even up on the ridges that you get to see more. An example of this is as you come down the hill north of the Telephone Pioneer Shelter in the "leafed out months" its pretty much just the green tunnel but in the winter you can see that there are these great big boulders that at one point must have been part of the Cat Rocks view that one passes before coming to the shelter. One of these boulders is so big that at one point some one bolted a climbing route up one side of the thing has a bit of a overhang on this face. Route may only be about 50 or so feet long I would venture to guess it is about a 5.11 or 5.12. You don't get to see that in the warm months.

rafe
10-04-2008, 10:46

Regardless of H&M's report, it's not winter quite yet.

fehchet
10-05-2008, 05:56
Maine winter hiking is sick if your prepared.

Kirby

Why is Mainewinter hiking "sick" if you are prepared?

Lone Wolf
10-05-2008, 06:45
"sick" means awesome. fun. groovy. cool. fabulous

The Scribe
10-05-2008, 07:48
Wolf is HIP!!!!!

Lone Wolf
10-05-2008, 07:51
i forgot wicked good!

The Scribe
10-05-2008, 08:02
Very important addition for us Mainahs. Thanks.
Visited my daughter at college yesterday. Everything was "sick".

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2008, 08:48
I took my trash out this morning and my nipples got hard. I'm like a sick barometer.

woodsy
10-05-2008, 08:48
You might be "sick" in the head for being out there in the willy-whacks when its 0* and snowing so hard you can't see 30' ahead of you, the white/blue blazes are at your ankles, and the trails are hard to discern.

woodsy
10-05-2008, 10:39
You might be "sick" in the head for being out there in the willy-whacks when its 0* and snowing so hard you can't see 30' ahead of you, the white/blue blazes are at your ankles, and the trails are hard to discern.
Or, you might just like pretending to be Jeremiah Johnson:-?

sasquatch2014
10-05-2008, 11:17
I keep thinking it would be nice to try the sleeping on coals thing like in the movie then the idea of third degree burns sets in and I think better of it. I guess I am too susceptible to ideas like this. As a kid I broke my record player sitting on it thinking I would spin around on it like Curious George did. I guess I was bigger than the monkey.

Tinker
10-05-2008, 21:19
i forgot wicked good!

Totally unforgettable to a Rhode Islander (Roadayelanda).;)