PDA

View Full Version : Winter Water Crossings

wnderer
10-03-2008, 20:59
How do you handle water crossings in the winter? I've been through some ice cold streams in the spring, but the air temperature wasn't so bad. I was looking at hiking the BMT in ths Smokys in December but it has some waist deep fords. Cold and wet doesn't sound like a good plan.

thanks

fiddlehead
10-03-2008, 21:28
There are a few things you can do. (but are there really waist deep fords in the Smokies in Dec? you sure?)

Take off your pants, that's right, get naked (somewhat) and cross in your socks with your shoes tied around your neck. It is a great way to clean your socks and you should have at least 2 extra pair (always keep one dry for sleeping).

I've also seen (although i don't do it) a ranger in Yosemite take off his shoes and socks and put his boots back on without the socks and then ford the river. On the other side, he put his socks and wet shoes back on.

Before i started hiking in running shoes, i used to just ford barefoot.

Or you could get some neoprene booties. (do a google search for "croc liners") and use them. They are fairly lightweight and make good lightweight camp shoes also.

But waist deep is really borderline fording for me. If i'm fording something that deep, it's it's also fast, i want to keep my running shoes on for fear of slipping on the rocks.

Just walk them dry. (or somewhat dry. Takes some walking and remember to take an extra pair of socks, preferably fleece socks for me)

HEY,Maybe the NP people will have a canoe there to shuttle you across.

Summit
10-03-2008, 21:31
Strip down to sockless shoes or spare river crossing shoes fast, cross fast, dry off fast, dress fast, and get moving fast! :eek:

wnderer
10-03-2008, 21:49
There are a few things you can do. (but are there really waist deep fords in the Smokies in Dec? you sure?)

Okay you got me, what I was told by Dick Evans BMTA Smokies Coordinator

"Noland Creek Trail, both sides of Campsite 62 have difficult crossings,
often reaching waist deep. December is likely to be mid-thigh level.
Pole Road Creek Trail has several challenging crossings, some knee deep.
Lost Cove Trail has a couple of wading crossings."

So mid-thigh level. That's deep enough for me to have to carry my pack over my head.

Dick carries scuba gear booties.

Phreak
10-03-2008, 21:51
Strip down and wear my Crocs.

BookBurner
10-03-2008, 22:21
Wndrer - doublecheck your info on the crossings. I thrued the BMT in the spring of '06 and I certainly don't remember any waist deep crossings
(or anything close to it). There was one maybe knee deep crossing where a road went underwater but that's all this admittedly failing memory can come up with. I do tend to boulder hop a lot or cross on down trees rather than get wet when possible. So perhaps those crossings are what D. Evans is referring to. But he seems to be painting a worse case scenario (which isn't a bad thing). Nonetheless, if wet feet in December concern you, just take the time to switch into some sandals, cross, dry off, and be on your way. If need be, roll your pant legs up, and you'll be fine.

weary
10-03-2008, 22:32
Usually, river crossings in Maine have snow bridges you can cross on -- except of course the major streams -- Kennebec and such.
The former ferryman has from time to time come out in January and February to take winter hikers across the Kennebec.

Or as far as the Kennebec goes, one can walk down stream a couple of miles(?) and cross on the frozen lake created by a downstream dam. On smaller streams, usually crossings can be found.

Weary

wnderer
10-03-2008, 23:13
I guess maybe I'm making more of this than it is. I keep thinking of the Jack London story where the guy breaks through the ice and has to make a fire to stop frostbite. Snow falls out of the tree and puts out the fire. His hands freeze up so he can't light another match. And he freezes to death trying to run to Dawson on the bloody stumps of his frozen feet. Of course he was in the Yukon and not Tennessee.

EAnderson
10-03-2008, 23:20
I remember rock hopping the Noland Creek Trail crossings on both sides of #62, and with the lack of rain, I would think they wouldn't be too deep.

We had a few bad crossings years ago on the Rough Creek Trail and Little River Trail after heavy rains during a cold BP. We rolled up our pants (or took of our leggings) and then put on our rain pants. Then we used Seal Skin socks and crocs. Our legs stayed dry and our feet stayed warm in the socks.

Summit
10-04-2008, 08:21
I guess maybe I'm making more of this than it is. I keep thinking of the Jack London story where the guy breaks through the ice and has to make a fire to stop frostbite. Snow falls out of the tree and puts out the fire. His hands freeze up so he can't light another match. And he freezes to death trying to run to Dawson on the bloody stumps of his frozen feet. Of course he was in the Yukon and not Tennessee.Yeah, big difference between 20* and 40 below! :eek: Really, just gauge the depth of your crossing . . . if deeper than rolled up pants legs, think 'get as little clothing wet as possible.' Although the cold may 'hurt,' it's only momentary, so as I said do everything fast and get going and within minutes, if wearing the right layers, you'll be feeling warm and comfy with hardly a thought as to what you just did, unless a group of girl scouts popped out of nowhere while you were butt-naked! And even then, they will get over it so you should too! :eek: :p :D

Old Hillwalker
10-04-2008, 17:31
I guess maybe I'm making more of this than it is. I keep thinking of the Jack London story where the guy breaks through the ice and has to make a fire to stop frostbite. Snow falls out of the tree and puts out the fire. His hands freeze up so he can't light another match. And he freezes to death trying to run to Dawson on the bloody stumps of his frozen feet. Of course he was in the Yukon and not Tennessee.

"To Build a fire" and his dog just walks away from him.

trouthunter
10-04-2008, 17:53
I just put on my ultra light weight waders, who would want to get wet?:D

wnderer
10-04-2008, 20:26
I just put on my ultra light weight waders, who would want to get wet?:D

I'll bite. What's an ultra light weight wader?

Erin
10-04-2008, 20:37
This thread gave me euphoric recall. Once it was all women. High and cold. We stripped pretty much down to the undies and water shoes and crossed with a look out. This was in Missouri. Water over thigh high. Oh, and it was cold and we dressed in record time laughing so hard it hurt. Be sure and unbuckle your pack though in case you get knocked over in the water. When I was out west, I read about a woman who drowned because she did not unbuckle her waist belt and got pulled down and under by the heavy pack.

trouthunter
10-04-2008, 20:45
Well, I was joking a bit.
But most of the time I have my light weight fishing gear with me, and I have a pair of light weight chest waders with attached neoprene booties, I just slip them on real quick and viola! You can ford streams without getting wet, if you have a pair with you that is. Most thru hikers are not gonna carry a pair of waders just for the occasional water crossing.

Most of the opinions expressed so far are more realistic, you can't let all your clothing get wet in cold weather, so you do have to remove as much clothing as you can, cross the stream, dry off, and get redressed.
It's a PITA, but hypothermia is a very real and deadly danger. You should always be set up so you have a dry set of clothes in a water proof bag such as a dry bag during winter time. A wool base layer is really hard to beat for this, and can be had at a good price on sites like Campmor.com or Sierratradingpost.com

I guess having waders is a perk for those of us who fish on our backpacking trips, also a freshly caught trout is a welcome break to freeze dried suppers!

Tinker
10-05-2008, 22:39
Crocs float - away sometimes. I'd rather wear an all-synthetic, snug fitting pair of watersport sandals. I've actually hiked quite a few miles in mine. Getting a foot caught between rocks and being knocked over by the current is my biggest worry when crossing swift streams alone. Footwear is very important.

take-a-knee
10-05-2008, 23:22
I crossed quite a few glacial runoff streams in McKinley Nat. Park, a few were "package" deep. First look for the widest part of the stream (wide = shallow, narrow may mean "hole over your head"). Have your pack waterproofed with a Hefty can liner with the top goosenecked and tied off. Strip as Fiddlehead stated in post #2, except keep your boots on with no socks. If the stream is really fast, even if you don't lost your footing you'll be pushed downstream by the current, so pick a start point with an easy exit point (IE, not a steep alder covered bank) about 45 degrees downstream. Unfasten your waistbelt and loosen the straps, if you go under, get the pack off of your back but keep one arm hooked through the strap, the pack will float,and, you'll likely need it when you get out of the water, since your freezing and naked. Enter the water facing upstream, lean on a hiking pole/staff and slowly work your way across.