PDA

View Full Version : ??Yellowstone vs. Yosemite??

mtt37849
10-04-2008, 21:24
This past summer I hiked quite a bit in the GSMNP and on a cross country trip I hiked in the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert.
:banana
But this up coming summer I will be road tripping it back to Cali and will be hiking in the Rocky Mountain Nat' Park (just a day hike here) and have a choice of Yellowstone or Yosemite.
I will be going to Oakland, CA so Yosemite would be closer and less gas (which we all know is taken into account) But I'm leaning more tward Yellowstone for a 2-3 day backcountry hiking trip.
:-? :-?
So my question is... spend the extra gas, leave Knoxville, TN two days eariler and go to Yellowstone? OR save time/gas/money and do Yosemite??
I don't rock climb, but do bike, hike and such so which place with the better trails, must see sights? Thanks.

MOWGLI
10-04-2008, 21:28
I'd save time and money and go to Yosemite. I'd try and climb Half Dome. It involves a 16 mile day hike, and a non-technical climb at the mid-point. Almost anything you do in the park will be amazing.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Pacific Tortuga
10-04-2008, 21:55
I'd save time and money and go to Yosemite. I'd try and climb Half Dome. It involves a 16 mile day hike, and a non-technical climb at the mid-point. Almost anything you do in the park will be amazing.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

I would add, go in late spring ( bugs and water falls) or fall (no bugs few water falls) like all mountains ..............NEVER EVER in summer if you can, crowds :eek:

Summit
10-04-2008, 22:03
I haven't hiked in Yellowstone so can't give you a 'wow' comparison, but I have hiked extensively in Yosemite. If you opt for Yosemite, don't waste more than half a day in 'the Valley' as it is a zoo of tourists. See Half Dome, El Capitan, Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite Falls (although these falls are puny in the summer time), take pictures, get your t-shirt, and head on around and up to Tuolumne Meadows. A great 3-4 day hike would be to take the PCT north out of Tuolumne Meadows to Smedberg, Benson (awesome with white sand beach) and Wilma Lakes, and with a map choose one of several loops back to Tuolumne via the 'Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River.' That would peg your 'wow' and 'must see sights' meter! :)

Spirit Walker
10-04-2008, 22:15
They're both worth visiting, but if I were you, I think I'd go to Yosemite. Partly because it's on your way, partly because it is more spectacularly scenic. Yellowstone is fascinating because of it's thermals and has some really nice hiking, but there is something about those granite peaks of Yosemite that is really appealing.

I love both parks and have actually spent more time in Yellowstone, especially the last few years. Yellowstone is better if you are mostly driving: it has lots of features near roads that are beautiful and interesting, but they are very spread out. To see them all really takes at least a couple of days. There is lots of wildlife on and near the roads, which can be a lot of fun (i.e. we saw 9 black bears in two days last May.) I have enjoyed seeing the thermal areas like Old Faithful and Biscuit Basin, Mammoth, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, etc. There are a few good dayhikes and some very good long backcountry treks, but for a two day hike, you'll have a harder time finding something that is really exciting.

Finding really beautiful backpacking is easy in Yosemite. The mountains are spectacular all over the park. I prefer Glacier or the Winds, in part because of Yosemite's crowds, but it is a beautiful place to explore.

If you have time and really want to see Yellowstone, you might consider touring Yellowstone by car and then backpacking in Grand Teton NP, which is, again, quite spectacular. No thermal areas, but some fantastic alpine country. There are some loops you can do that are 2 - 4 days that take you up into the high country.

weary
10-04-2008, 22:25
I haven't hiked in Yellowstone so can't give you a 'wow' comparison, but I have hiked extensively in Yosemite. If you opt for Yosemite, don't waste more than half a day in 'the Valley' as it is a zoo of tourists. See Half Dome, El Capitan, Bridal Veil Falls, Yosemite Falls (although these falls are puny in the summer time), take pictures, get your t-shirt, and head on around and up to Tuolumne Meadows. A great 3-4 day hike would be to take the PCT north out of Tuolumne Meadows to Smedberg, Benson (awesome with white sand beach) and Wilma Lakes, and with a map choose one of several loops back to Tuolumne via the 'Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne River.' That would peg your 'wow' and 'must see sights' meter! :)

I agree 100 percent. My wife and I -- and kids -- have made several trips west over the years -- all the way west and north to Denalli.

Yosemite strikes me as the nicest and most hiker friendly National Park. I've spent time in all the major national parks and many of the smaller ones. My conclusion: A well managed Maine Woods National Park would be the equal to any, and better than most.

Weary www.matlt.org

Montana Mac
10-05-2008, 08:25
I will be going to Oakland, CA so Yosemite would be closer and less gas (which we all know is taken into account) But I'm leaning more tward Yellowstone for a 2-3 day backcountry hiking trip.

During the summer YNP will be crowded as well as Yosemite. If you are set on YNP you could do a "car tour" of YNP and for hiking I would hike the Beartooth mountains just outside the northeast gate YNP. Less crowded and a lot less regulations! You can camp at location of choice (just obey water set backs) w/o the need for permits. If you stay away from the most popular trail you will see very few people and the scenery is great, as well as the fishing.

If you are interested in a couple of photos of the area send a PM.

fiddlehead
10-05-2008, 08:55
Yosemite vs Yellowstone for back country hiking?
Yosemite wins in the scenic aspect hands down.
Yellowstone has the wildlife and thermal stuff going on all around.

Yosemite would be my choice.

But Glacier is my favorite as far as scenery, no people in the backcountry, off the beaten tourist track. ( i know you didn't ask but i had to say anyway)

Fiddleback
10-05-2008, 10:30
Hmmm...Yosemite or YNP? They don't compare well...they're vastly different from each other. Just as GSMNP is way different from the Petrified Forest. That's part of the point of the National Parks...they're established, in part, to protect 'unique' geological features and ecosystems. These are hard questions you ask, IMO.

Yellowstone is one day's drive from RMNP -- is it a huge detour from a trip to Oakland? I would try hard...really hard, to do both YNPs.

Sorry 'bout the non-answer...been watching too many debates...

FB

Montana Mac
10-05-2008, 12:17
If you are interested in a couple of photos of the area send a PM.
I u/l a couple of pics today under "other trails"

Cookerhiker
10-05-2008, 19:19
Well you didn't ask but how about a third option, more convenient for you in California than going to Yellowstone, scenic, much less crowded, and ripe with back country trails: Lassen National Park. I admit I haven't backpacked there, only day-hiked but I imagine you could easily design a 2-3 day backpack.

Bearpaw
10-12-2008, 00:17
What month are you going? Yellowstone keeps its snow in the southern areas well into June and the stream crossings can be quite hairy. If you're going in August, the whole nature of the trip changes. Mostly a summer time hike.

I've backpacked in both places. I will say backcountry permits are easier to get on short notice at Yellowstone, though neither are super-difficult. You will have more options for great views in Yosemite. You will have many more wildlife encounters, elk, pronghorn antelope, buffalo, almost certainly, and MAYBE, grizzly or wolf in Yellowstone. In Yosemite, maybe a black bear trying to steal your food in a mandatory cannister.

I would vote Yellowstone personally, because if you're living in Cali, you may manage a visit during a break. Yellowstone is a totally different world from what most of us know in the lower 48. It's a semi-preserved bit of what used to be.

Slo-go'en
10-13-2008, 00:16
I spent a whole summer wandering around Yellowstone, many years ago. Interesting place, lots and lots of wildlife. The most interesting places are well off the road. Some neat back country gysers and hot pots and a few good mountians to climb. The Beartooth range which is north and east of the park in Wyoming is a wild place too. And of course, the Tetons are near-by and they are a must to see.

If you have the time and money to spend on the way out west, I'd wander around the area for a week or so. Who knows when you'd get to do it again.

Tennessee Viking
10-13-2008, 13:36
This past summer I hiked quite a bit in the GSMNP and on a cross country trip I hiked in the Grand Canyon and the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert.
:banana
But this up coming summer I will be road tripping it back to Cali and will be hiking in the Rocky Mountain Nat' Park (just a day hike here) and have a choice of Yellowstone or Yosemite.
So my question is... spend the extra gas, leave Knoxville, TN two days eariler and go to Yellowstone? OR save time/gas/money and do Yosemite??
I don't rock climb, but do bike, hike and such so which place with the better trails, must see sights? Thanks.
Yellowstone you are going to have ridiculous road traffic. But its a bit more flat.

I had family that just came back from Yosemite. Its definitely worth seeing.

gravityman
10-13-2008, 15:06
I would do the Grand Tetons over yellowstone for a HIKING trip. Yellowstone is fantastic, and a lot of short-ish hikes, but for overnight, looks just south to the Grand Tetons for amazing scenery. I will say that our Yellowstone/Teton vacation was my best EVER 'Toursist' vacation. We only got one night out in the backcountry (snowed out in Sept on the 2nd trip and a pregenant wife so it was a tame trip) but lots of wild life and a lot of great day hikes to thermals.

But if I had to choose, I think Yosemite would be my first choice even though I haven't ever been there.

Gravity

Montana Mac
10-13-2008, 17:11
Yellowstone you are going to have ridiculous road traffic.

I have experienced the same in Yosemite