PDA

View Full Version : Tenting question

Greb
10-04-2008, 22:48
First thread post but want to say this site is amazing and so full of useful info.

I am getting back into hiking after a hiatus. I have been researching sleeping options pretty thoroughly. I am down to a double wall tent or possibly a tarptent. (Hammock guys, I love the FEEL of a hammock but for some reason I cannot sleep in one. Tried a few times but could not fall asleep. Dropped to the ground and BOOM out in a minute)

Anyhow, I am focusing on lighter weight tents (my current dome is like 8 lbs LOL) and have found a few options that I like but wanted some feedback.

My criteria:
1) Gotta have space. I prefer to spread out and if in a pinch could use with my wife if she decided to go out with me. So a 2 person option is best.
2) Price is a semi issue. I am looking to drop more money on bag to get a solid bag as I do like just laying out in the open when it is an option.
3) I prefer double wall but I am somewhat drawn to the tarptents due to weight.
4) Sub 4 lbs preferable.

The tents I am looking at so far have been:

1) SD Clip Flashlight
2) SD Lightyear (yes this is a 1 person tent but I really like the look and the good reviews it gets)
3) MSR Zoid 1.5 ultralight.
4) Hubba Hubba (little more expensive but seems like very solid option)
5) Tarpent. Also up their closer to $250-300 but very light.

I know this is a frequent topic but would like to see some perpective of possible best tent option for the buck etc. If their is another option you think of please pipe up. I am all for getting solid gear but want to cut back costs whenever possible (except sleeping bags which are worth every penny you pay for a good bag).

Thanks again.

Yahtzee
10-04-2008, 22:58
I currently use a Tarptent Rainbow and think it would be a viable option per your specs. It has enough interior space the fit two in comfort. But the lightness of the tent justifies the extra space when you are solo.

Serial 07
10-04-2008, 23:05
i'm not sure what the seedhouse SL series weighs out at exactly, but i love'em...i slept two people (guy/girl) in the SL I...i like the light two people tents myself, for all the extra room...but that one person tent i really liked...

slow
10-04-2008, 23:18
SMD duo cant be beat,for size and wt and no moisture problem.

Lyle
10-05-2008, 00:28
I currently use either a hammock and tarp or a Gossamer Gear "The One", or Six Moon Design "Wild Oasis". Both of these are single person. A tarp is a very versatile and light option.

That said, I used a Sierra Designs Flashlight (not the clip version) for MANY years, and before that it's predecessor the Starflight. Very solid tents with a long history of dependability. It was considered one of the ultralights of it's day at about 4 lbs. It is tight for two people, but I have done it on more than just a few occasions.

I have no personal experience with the other tents that you mention.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

Egads
10-05-2008, 07:33
take a look at the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

Lone Wolf
10-05-2008, 07:38
First thread post but want to say this site is amazing and so full of useful info.

I am getting back into hiking after a hiatus. I have been researching sleeping options pretty thoroughly. I am down to a double wall tent or possibly a tarptent. (Hammock guys, I love the FEEL of a hammock but for some reason I cannot sleep in one. Tried a few times but could not fall asleep. Dropped to the ground and BOOM out in a minute)

Anyhow, I am focusing on lighter weight tents (my current dome is like 8 lbs LOL) and have found a few options that I like but wanted some feedback.

My criteria:
1) Gotta have space. I prefer to spread out and if in a pinch could use with my wife if she decided to go out with me. So a 2 person option is best.
2) Price is a semi issue. I am looking to drop more money on bag to get a solid bag as I do like just laying out in the open when it is an option.
3) I prefer double wall but I am somewhat drawn to the tarptents due to weight.
4) Sub 4 lbs preferable.

The tents I am looking at so far have been:

1) SD Clip Flashlight
2) SD Lightyear (yes this is a 1 person tent but I really like the look and the good reviews it gets)
3) MSR Zoid 1.5 ultralight.
4) Hubba Hubba (little more expensive but seems like very solid option)
5) Tarpent. Also up their closer to $250-300 but very light.

I know this is a frequent topic but would like to see some perpective of possible best tent option for the buck etc. If their is another option you think of please pipe up. I am all for getting solid gear but want to cut back costs whenever possible (except sleeping bags which are worth every penny you pay for a good bag).

Thanks again.

Hubba Hubba. great tent. lotsa screen. side entrances. used one on the Long Trail last year

Summit
10-05-2008, 11:33
Face it. Most of us are limited in tent experience to maybe a couple of current offerings besides the one we own/use. So your recommendations can pretty much be classified as "I love my tent" votes.

Decide what you're willing to spend, how much weight you're willing to carry, minimum space (usually expressed in sq. ft.), minimum height (important for me as I like to be able to sit up comfortably in my ThermaRest chair inside the tent when it's rainy or super cold), fly positioning relative to tent door (it's nice if the fly design allows you to watch the rain vs. being completely closed in).

After proper research, you'll end up with several tents from different manufacturers that make your short list. Then, if possible, go to an outfitter where you do some hands on with them. In the end it might be a sale or gut reaction that just says 'this is the one I'm going with' and just go with it! ;)

Feral Bill
10-05-2008, 11:50
If it is not buggy, an 8x10 plain (also plane) tarp makes a great (large, airy, secure), cheap, and versitile shelter for a pound or two. I use the Clip Flashlight if bugs are a likely issue and find it roomy for one. My wife does not like it for reasons of size because she can not see out. The Clip is often available on sale at Campmor.

BookBurner
10-05-2008, 12:00
If you enjoy sleeping out under the stars whenever feasible, I suggest you keep your shelter as light as possible. Why carry twice the weight when you only use the item half the time? I vote for Shires' Squall 2. I love my tarptent and never drank the kool-aid about single-wall shelters. The condensation problem is not nearly as problematic as others would have you believe.

Lyle
10-05-2008, 12:55
If you enjoy sleeping out under the stars whenever feasible, I suggest you keep your shelter as light as possible. Why carry twice the weight when you only use the item half the time? I vote for Shires' Squall 2. I love my tarptent and never drank the kool-aid about single-wall shelters. The condensation problem is not nearly as problematic as others would have you believe.

I generally agree that the condensation is GENERALLY not a problem. I have, however, experienced a very severe problem when all the conditions line up against you - very cool, very humid (pouring rain all night), and very still (no breeze at all). Spent one very wet night this past summer due to very severe condensation in my single wall tent.

Just be prepared for the occasional wet night. Again, generally they work very well and offer great, light protection - you almost always have wind or at least a breeze when it's raining and 100% humidity, this greatly reduces the condensation problem if you are pitched correctly.

I find the weight savings very much worth the very rare risk.

bigcranky
10-05-2008, 21:00
We have owned and used several tarptents, a Sierra Designs double wall tent, some tarps, both commercial and homemade, and a couple of hammocks.

We recently bought a Tarptent Double Rainbow. It's okay for two people -- great protection, good coverage of gear under the dual vestibules, and plenty long enough, but the sloping mesh walls knock down the "roominess" score a little. But for a *solo* hiker, it's huge. Plenty of room for all the gear inside, plenty of protection, easy setup. You can open both vestibules all the way for great views and ventilation. Plus it'll easily handle a second person, as long as you like each other.

It weighs 2.5 pounds total, and uses 6 stakes (included) for setup.

Tinker
10-05-2008, 21:31
Condensation on a single walled tent is easily wiped off with a pack towel. If you're sleeping and it's raining though, you'll experience "misting" as the condensation on the inside of the ceiling of your tent gets knocked off by raindrops on the other side. A mesh ceiling doesn't help much in those conditions. As a matter of fact, it's very difficult to wipe the condensation off through the mesh. A double walled tent with a solid fabric ceiling and mesh walls would be close to ideal. In the case of fog rolling in, nothing works to keep you dry. I've had no problems with my hammock, though ;).
My Hilleberg Akto can be a disaster, though. It's a cold weather tent.

Reid
10-05-2008, 22:41
I have the SD and the hubba hubba 2 man tents. With that said, I vote for the Hubba Hubba in relation to your question. The SD is aweful small, but if you are taking a wife as do I then it's a great tent, but if you and a buddy are going you might be a bit to close for comfort.

rafe
10-06-2008, 06:59
Check out tents by Eureka and Sierra Designs. Eureka Spitfire and SD Lightyear are solid solo tents that meet all your specs. The SD Clip Flashlight is a tried and true design for two people. Tarptents are a lighter, somewhat more expensive, and maybe not quite as dry as a typical double-walled tent. Emphasis on lighter -- that's their main advantage.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-06-2008, 08:17
http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/mhw-waypoint.htm

I was very impressed with the Mountain Hardwear Waypoint tents when I first saw them. I wasn't in the market for a new tent so I did not buy one, nor have I used one.
The 2 man version was within my weight budget and I like a bigger tent. The model is discontinued but a good bargain at the link above

OldStormcrow
10-06-2008, 10:24
The Big Agnes Seed House 2 is a really light weight 3-season two person tent that is all screen with a decent vestibule. It's also fairly inexpensive when compared to something like Mountain Hardware, but I'm not crazy about the door. For a whole lot o' room for two people, there's also the Seed House 3.

Greb
10-06-2008, 11:52
Thank you all for the input. I had forgottne I had the Lunar Duo down as a possibility too.

Foyt20
10-06-2008, 17:44
I like the tarptent rainbow.

taildragger
10-06-2008, 18:05
Tarptent or hubba hubba.

SD clip if you wanna save a lil $ and still have a great tent

slow
10-06-2008, 19:08
Thank you all for the input. I had forgottne I had the Lunar Duo down as a possibility too.

I'M willing to ship my DUO for you to try?
That is how good this setup is.:)

Blissful
10-06-2008, 19:57
Tarptent or hubba hubba.

We used both. Tarptent to begin, Hubba hubba in New England with bugs, tent platforms, and the unpredictable weather of the Whites. Worked well for us.

LIhikers
10-07-2008, 22:50
You might want to check out Sierra Designs Sirius 2
My wife and I use the 3 peerson version when we hike with our large dog, and like it.
Very good ventilation with the fly rolled up or staked out wide and good weatherproofness with the fly down and tight.

DipDog
10-12-2008, 21:31
I really like my Kelty Gunnison. Plenty of room, and has served me well. Especially during a trip with three days of constant rain. It is over 4 pounds, but no that much. It could be split if two were using it.

Greb
11-01-2008, 22:58
Just an update. Took the plunge and bought a Double Rainbow last night. I am so excited I just do not think I can wait until the tent arrives.

Thanks for the input. Guess I will have to start thinking about packs now...

Uncle Tom
11-02-2008, 13:34
I like my Double Rainbow, use it for myself and can fit another in if needed. Great customer service as well.

J5man
11-02-2008, 13:41
I really like my Kelty Gunnison. Plenty of room, and has served me well. Especially during a trip with three days of constant rain. It is over 4 pounds, but no that much. It could be split if two were using it.

I have this one too (2 person version). Good tent, good value. I paid about $100 for it on eBay. However, I am trying to lighten my load, so my next tent will be a 1 person (maybe MSR Hubba).

BigBlue
11-02-2008, 14:19
Have you thought about the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 or SL2. A ltlle pricey but one great tent.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/BigAgnes_tents.cfm

Ramble~On
11-02-2008, 18:52
Just an update. Took the plunge and bought a Double Rainbow last night. I am so excited I just do not think I can wait until the tent arrives.

Thanks for the input. Guess I will have to start thinking about packs now...

Good Choice.

I have a Rainbow (the single man) no complaints, excellent shelter.

NewEnglandMiles86
11-03-2008, 00:27
i really like my rei quarter dome its light decently roomy and a real bargin