PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Skirts

BumpJumper
10-05-2008, 06:51
I asked a few of my fellow hikers about this but I want to hear some more opinions.
I have considered skirts rather than pants/shorts. What is yalls opinions, pro/cons?

Cuffs
10-05-2008, 09:22
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34376&highlight=skirt

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35553&highlight=skirt

Red Hat
10-07-2008, 12:14
I bought a hiking skirt for my SOBO this year. I wanted one that covered a bit and decided on a zip off by Royal Robbins. Alas, I discovered that the extra length I wanted (not quite knee length) made climbing rocks extremely difficult. I kept having to raise it to climb and ended up tearing it right up the rear seam. It would be great for most of the southern part of the trail, but wasn't right for New England. (Maine)

wakapak
10-07-2008, 12:19
i used the mens mountain hardware hiking kilt and absolutley LOVED it!!

Chaco Taco
10-07-2008, 12:26
Haha, me too:sun

warraghiyagey
10-07-2008, 12:30

Haha, me too:sun

I followed Vonfrick through the northeast AT this summer and she wore a skirt, looked like a tennis player on a hike. She seemed to like the skirt. . . as did I. I followed her up many a mountain. . . to catch her if she fell, of course. And led her down most mountains, always turning around and looking up to make sure she was OK.
BTW - Wakapak is a poopiehead :)

kanga
10-07-2008, 12:50
try the patagonia duway skirt. it's got a small, invisible shorts liner that you can barely tell is there and small hidden zips on both sides so there is no problem climbing. did i mention it dries in seconds and feels like microsuede it's so soft? usually goes for around $60 and is worth every penny at that price, but do a google shopping search and you find them around $40. got my first one on steep and cheap for $25. (got addicted and bought it elsewhere in 3 other colors...)

oh yeah, go a size up from normal. it's soft, but there's no elastic and it runs a bit small. the size up fit me perfectly. my size would NOT have worked at all.

fehchet
10-07-2008, 13:14
The skirt I wear is an Ibex Lena. 100% merino wool. Only one pocket so if you wear shorts with pockets under: it works. Simple stuff some times.

Hammock Hanger
10-07-2008, 20:56
I have worn a $5.00 boardskirt from Walmart for over 5 years. I recently bought a new swimskirt from Shahlies that is adjustable at the waist. SKIRTS are the BEST!!

BumpJumper
10-08-2008, 04:16
So tell me Sue, do you have a problem with guys hiking behind you???:eek::D

Roots
10-08-2008, 10:36
I've always hiked in convertibles until this summer. I thought I would try a skirt after talking with several women on the trail this year that wore skirts. I bought a Columbia Ashtanga Skort. It is very comfortable and dries extremely well. I don't think I'll ever go back to pants, except in really cold weather.

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 11:03
I don't think I'll ever go back to pants, except in really cold weather.
Haha, me too. PLus what the heck is this liner inside the skirt people keep mentioning. Forget that, I go commando:sun

Roots
10-08-2008, 11:23
Haha, me too. PLus what the heck is this liner inside the skirt people keep mentioning. Forget that, I go commando:sun

You are the man! :p:D;)

Marta
10-08-2008, 11:27
I can't warm to the skort concept. (Okay, when I was in 6th grade and the dress code required skirts at school but the cartwheels at recess demanded shorts, I could see it.) If I'm gonna wear shorts, why add the extra layer of having a skirt? If I'm gonna wear a skirt, why take away the skirt's advantages by having shorts underneath?

Puzzling. Yet clothing lines for women, like Title 9, are full of skorts, so some folks must like them.

kanga
10-08-2008, 11:30
I can't warm to the skort concept. (Okay, when I was in 6th grade and the dress code required skirts at school but the cartwheels at recess demanded shorts, I could see it.) If I'm gonna wear shorts, why add the extra layer of having a skirt? If I'm gonna wear a skirt, why take away the skirt's advantages by having shorts underneath?

Puzzling. Yet clothing lines for women, like Title 9, are full of skorts, so some folks must like them.

i'll show you mine next weekend. i hate normal skorts, but the duway's kinda short and when you unzip.. well, let's just say it'd better be your significant other hiking behind you..
the liner shorts in it is more like boxer briefs. plus, during the hot months, i've found it helps with chafing. (my thighs get a little bigger every year for some reason - i have no idea why)

Marta
10-08-2008, 11:44
i'll show you mine next weekend. i hate normal skorts, but the duway's kinda short and when you unzip.. well, let's just say it'd better be your significant other hiking behind you..
the liner shorts in it is more like boxer briefs. plus, during the hot months, i've found it helps with chafing. (my thighs get a little bigger every year for some reason - i have no idea why)

Sounds interesting.

The chafing issue is why I stick with shorts.

kanga
10-08-2008, 11:55
the sides. when you unzip the sides....

jnetx
10-08-2008, 15:52

LOL Bump!
I think you saw my hiking skirt at the Gathering last year. It's a men's mountain hardwear kilt, the only modification being I shortened it to above the knee becasue I didn't like it flapping around on my knees while hiking. I rarely hike in anything else.

While hiking the FL trail I never even worried about this until my hiking partner voiced some concern one day about me crossing a log bridge when there were some people enjoying the river below.

When I geared up for the AT, knowing there would be many more ascents and descents, and many more people on the trail, I added a set of patagonia underwear to my equipment. I still rarely actually needed them, and sweated and chafed a lot more using them than without, so started just carrying them in the top of my backpack "just in case". At the beginning of the Whites in Gorham I switched out a lot of my gear for colder weather gear, and somehow the underwear got packed in my bounce box. So I went through the Whites and Presidentials, with all the extra folks on the steep trails there, and nothing to block the view, so to speak. I must admit that there was an occasional steep ascent/descent when there would be someone below me that I would think "oops". About halfway through the Presidentials Brain caught up to me again, so after that I'd just tell him "OK, you're on guard duty" and let him hike right behind me. Probably not a pretty sight for him, but that's what hiking partners are for, right?:eek:

I spent several hours on various evenings going through everything in my pack muttering "they've got to be in here somewhere". Eventually they turned up in my bounce box in Glencliff, right after the last steep ascent! I guess you just had to be there to realise how funny it was at the time. :)

Blissful
10-08-2008, 19:57
Convertible pants for me - though I have thought about the skirt. Almost bought one at a summer sale a week ago.

BumpJumper
10-08-2008, 20:00
LMAO J....

Yes, I remember your skirt!

Doctari
10-10-2008, 07:48
I hike in a "Man's skirt" (a kilt actually) & will never go back to shorts/pants. Wore shorts for 20 minutes while hiking this year, "Just to be sure I really wanted to wear the kilt" That was exactly 19 minutes 59 seconds too long, never again!

I only met 2 others in my 20+ days on the AT, but heard that "LOTS of men are wearing [skirts, kilts, etc] this year" so the ladies have kept this secret way too long :D

Yes, I was "Commando" most of the time, but, I was comfortable: Kilt = good hiking, shorts/pants = misery when hiking!

IMHO: you want sommething light weight, that dries quickly & provides some, , , , , visual protection.
AND, can you walk in it without restriction? Not just on level ground, but: up hill, down hill, across streams/rivers, jumping from rock to rock, climbing over fallen logs, etc. Yea, climbing over fallen logs in a kilt, an, , , , interesting :o experience at times :eek:

KarenM982
10-10-2008, 11:34
I am a huge fan on my Mountain Hardware kilt....however I recently purchased the Isis Excusion Skirt (in black) which is a wrap skirt/kilt. The material is nylon and feels like the same material as board shorts (quick dry). Anyways, I just got this in the mail TODAY and it is TOO SMALL :( :( It is an XS and black, and here is the link:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73460

Ive searched the www high and low for this skirt in small/black and they sold out everywhere, as is the XS/black. PM if you're interested in buying this skirt from me! If I get no reponses, I'll going to send it back.

Hammock Hanger
10-10-2008, 16:13

I don't have a problem with it...and I haven't heard any complaint's from them!!:p Biggest problem was big logs that I had to "slide" across...:o

Tilly
10-10-2008, 16:23
Mt Hardwear Pack Wrap!!! Why oh why did they have to discontinue this skirt???
Best skirt ever, I had 2 of them but lost both (fire.)
Still looking for a replacement...I really really loved the packwrap and hiked in it for years.

tom_alan
10-10-2008, 23:51
Ok' I just looked at the web page for the Men's Mountain Hardware kilt ~ interesting ~ I have hiked with bike shorts under my reguar shorts and that has done the trick on long hikes in hot weather; however, this would lighten my load! I may have to check these out next time I'm at the sporting goods store. On really cold days or high altitudes I wear bike tights under my shorts for the warmth ~ leg warmers that I can slide off if it get's too warm has worked well for me during the summer months.

Doctari
10-11-2008, 09:13
OK, it just occured to me (Yea, I'm slow) to post where I got my kilt. Not designed for Female use, but who really cares?

My kilt is acrilic, so dosn' thold water. It cost me under $30.00 including shipping. It is held in place with velcro, I do wish that there was elastic in the waist for a snuger fit.
I got it from Stillwater kilts at: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/ & I have one of their "thrifty kilts".

Notes:
If you need to shorten the kilt, don't cut it with scissors, use a Hot Knife.
Due to the many pleats, the kilt is a bit heavy, but also due to the pleats it moves well without restricting movement.

fehchet
10-11-2008, 18:15
Why do hikers have to tell us they hike in a skirt or kilt camando? I could give a sh-t and I'm sure many others are with me on this. Get over it, skirts and kilts are nice to wear hiking. Believe me, you have no reason to tell me you are naked underneath. No reason. Zip. Just how many hikers do you meet hiking that tell you they have no undies under their shorts? Get over it.

Texasgirl
10-11-2008, 19:02
Ditto fehchet.

Texasgirl
10-11-2008, 19:08
After watching The Last of the Mohicans, I had this romantic image of hiking in a long, gathered skirt (if they could, I could). I've headed up mountains in long skirts and had a good time. Have even made a few, different styles; but after bouldering up steep sections in Colorado and the AT, I'm rethinking that long skirt. I'll try the shorter skirts mentioned here on the next trip.

wannahike
10-11-2008, 20:16
Check out the macabi skirt, best of both long and short

http://www.macabiskirt.com/

tom_alan
10-11-2008, 21:41

:-? I see they have them for men as well. I like the looks of these better than the Mountain Hardware.

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2008, 22:20
:-? I see they have them for men as well. I like the looks of these better than the Mountain Hardware.

It's a whole lot of skirt....way too much material IMHO.

tom_alan
10-11-2008, 22:20

:-? After looking at the web page a little closer ~ it looks like you could go commando (no offence fehchet) and not give up your privacy in doing so. Never thought about the commando thing myself.

tom_alan
10-11-2008, 22:23
It's a whole lot of skirt....way too much material IMHO.

I would have to agree with that. I looks like a long skirt with all the snaps undone.

Hammock Hanger
10-11-2008, 22:25
Why do hikers have to tell us they hike in a skirt or kilt camando? I could give a sh-t and I'm sure many others are with me on this. Get over it, skirts and kilts are nice to wear hiking. Believe me, you have no reason to tell me you are naked underneath. No reason. Zip. Just how many hikers do you meet hiking that tell you they have no undies under their shorts? Get over it.

You would be surprised on how many people ask. Then they want to the reason... This is hiking not the real world and there seems to be no questions one won't ask. I won't walk up to you and say "hey, morning I'm hiking w/o panties..." However, if a fellow hiker ask I will say yah or nah, depending on the day.

BumpJumper
10-12-2008, 18:16
"Just how many hikers do you meet hiking that tell you they have no undies under their shorts? Get over it."
I could name several. This is how the world works. You ask, they tell, they tell, you ask why.....

LADIES...

sarbar
10-14-2008, 19:03
The Macabi Skirt is GOOD. It seems odd till you wear it - and you can get it in 3 lengths as well. The system on it allows for long skirt, short skirt, pants, shorts, etc. It is very multipurpose.
And as well? The pockets on it are most excellent.

Texasgirl
10-14-2008, 20:05
Sarbar, how's the fabric on quick-dry-ability (is that a word?). I've been wanting to make a skirt using fabric similar to say the light-weight, non-wrinkling REI-type safari zip off pants.

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 21:18
i'm a big fan of the macabi skirt, its what i hike/wear all the time.... i just make sure i have my body glide for my thighs.... mostly i hike w/ it in the short skirt or shorts position, but in camp i'll let it down into a full skirt, i switched btn the skirt and my long johns during my last section and colder days i combined both, the fabric was almost like a windbreaker and it dries really fast.....
and as sabar mentioned the pockets, ooh they are good, big, one is even zippered

a side note, i have two of them so i had two straps, but i like putting a second strap on when i do the short skirt, keeping it from being two completely different lengths in front and back

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 21:19
on the macabi subject has anyone tried their new jacket???

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 21:20
also the second link on my signature, has pics of me in my macabi

BumpJumper
10-14-2008, 21:29
Here is my idea on them. Walmart has this material that is just like the material used to make the lightweight tarps/flys. Trailtalker actually made hers out of some she bought.
I sew. So....I figure I could make me some skirts for next to nothing, with a custom length. And make it a wrap around is even better.

Gaiter
10-14-2008, 22:02
tyvek makes great laundry skirts/groundcloth, but i don't know how it would be for hiking :p

kanga
10-15-2008, 08:45
Here is my idea on them. Walmart has this material that is just like the material used to make the lightweight tarps/flys. Trailtalker actually made hers out of some she bought.
I sew. So....I figure I could make me some skirts for next to nothing, with a custom length. And make it a wrap around is even better.

if it's waterproof, it's probably not breathable, so you'd really sweat underneath. i would think it would get muggy and uncomfortable unless you vented it in some way.

Texasgirl
10-15-2008, 18:11
Yeah, Kanga, you're right on that. I made a poncho out of waterproof silnylon and man oh man, I can't imagine a garment out of anything remotely close to that. I like the macabi skirts, but frown at the price; which is why I'm seeking the perfect fabric for a skirt. Plus I want more pockets. I like the pants with bunches of pockets and cubbies for stuff. Most of the store-bought skirts don't come that equipped.

BumpJumper
10-15-2008, 20:10
Good one Kanga. I never thought of that. Scratch.......

Ok, back to the wrap around cotton.

wannahike
10-15-2008, 20:37
I love the Macabi pockets too. I found a long skirt at a thrift and cut it shorter and used the fabric for long pockets. It is some sort of polyester and dries fast but it really isn't tough enough for hiking, it gets holes and small rips easily . Hammock Hanger said she has gotten a lot of wear from board shorts, so maybe that's one fabric to try.

Texasgirl
10-15-2008, 23:05
Board shorts fabric.... ah ha.... good idea... thanks.

Frau
10-16-2008, 06:32
Having been forced to wear a skirt/dress to school for 12 years ('57-'69), pants and shorts mean FREEDOM and CHOICE to me. I did try on a Mt. Hardware men's kilt at the outfitter in Daleville. It was a hopeless tangle of 'straps and snaps' as I call it. I wear Columbia Whidbey Water Shorts, 100% nylon. My favorite britches are Gramicci 100% nylon--extremely light weight and dry VERY fast.

The Macabi skirt looks like a big mess of material to flap around, regardless of the length. I can't stand flapping shirts, skirts or pants.

I will admit though, Ladies, that the skirt has it all, hands down, as far as taking care of bodily functions. I feel like an an old curmudgeon when I say, Don't trouble me with the facts--I prefer my old shorts for hiking. Columbia made a dang cute water SKIRT that I wear for fun.

If anyone finds a stretchy, quick-dry fabric or skirt, please post. I really would give that a try for hiking and would probably like it for work if not too short.

Frau

Frau
10-16-2008, 06:36
And, DITTO on the posts about 'commando'. This is the female hiking forum, I would hope a good place to come to get female input NOT read about men's underwear or the lack thereof.

Thank you, fehchet.

Frau

BumpJumper
10-16-2008, 09:47
:clap

sarbar
10-16-2008, 11:06
On the Macabi.....part of the reason it is so pricey is it is domestic made. You are getting a made in the US item. How cool is that?? The company was a woman's dream :)

The material they use dried extremely fast as well - so if you get wet, it will dry fast. Similar to REI pants but better.

As for the jacket....I keep thinking about getting one. Be nice for summers :)

Frau
10-16-2008, 11:52
The Macabi Jacket looks VERY interesting! There are MANY times I need only arms covered. I have never understood the vest--ANY vest. My body only gets cold if it is really cold outside. Just SLEEVES, would be great! I haven't found the price yet.

Frau

wannahike
10-16-2008, 19:19
Frau, you could find a wool sweater in a thrift and cut off the sleeves and just pull them up over your arms when you need a bit of warmth. If you put them on upside down the cuffs will hold them up and you can open an inch or so in the seam to put your thumb through if you want your hands a bit covered. You could hem the edge or if you knit pick up sts and cast off.
The Macabi jacket is $89.

Frau
10-16-2008, 20:04
Pretty pricey for a nylon jacket. I think I remember seeing sleeves, or 'arm warmers' on a bicycling website not too long ago. Cutting up a sweater would certainly be cheaper, though. Thanks,

Frau

Texasgirl
10-16-2008, 20:13
My arms get cold too - cycling and trail running - I've considered the Moeben sleeves, but at $30, eh - course, it is less than the jacket and I too don't understand the vest idea.

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/moeben_sleeves/

Frau
10-16-2008, 20:23
Thanks for the link! They are NEAT!

Fr.

Doctari
10-17-2008, 13:57

UM, I was sorry you took offense.
But then, I'm over it as you suggest!

I mention it in relation to comfort, ie less chaffing, cooler etc.

Ah, yes, but then a grown up would have understood that. :eek:

Yep, I'm over it.