PDA

View Full Version : Week-long loop in NC, TN, or VA?

callook66
10-05-2008, 07:35
The guys and I are planning a weeklong trip in mid December, and we're looking for an exciting loop along the Blue Ridge or AT in NC, TN, VA area. Any suggestions?!

Egads
10-05-2008, 08:23
Consider the AT & BMT loop in GSMNP The entire loop is about ~158 miles, but can be shortened by taking connector trails like the Eagle Creek Trail &/or the Balsam Mountain Trail.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/Trail%20map%2008.pdf

http://www.bmta.org/pdfs/BMT-OverviewMap.pdf

Gray Blazer
10-05-2008, 19:57
For December, that could be an exciting trip. Being out there on those high ridges in the Balsams and the AT in a blizzard could be no joke.

Egads
10-05-2008, 20:12
Grey Blazer is right, Phreak, Doin-it-the-hard-way, & I hiked the north side of the AT mid December last year in the midst of a front moving in; it hit 10-11* and gusts of 40-50 mph. We were somewhat surprised to find some blue jean & sweatshirt hikers at Tricorner Knob shelter. They couldn't light a fire even with a quart of lighter fluid. They had no business out there.

Tennessee Viking
10-05-2008, 22:37
You can take the AT/Iron Mountain Loop. It goes pretty far up into the Mt Rogers area and goes as far down as Cross Mtn Road near TN91.
You can make a small loop out of Laurel Fork Trail and AT from Dennis Cove to Buck Mountain area.

Hike the park trails in the Smokies

callook66
11-19-2008, 08:27
Found a loop! Going to hike out of Gatlinburg and hit Rainbow Falls, Mt LeConte, Charlies Bunion, and the Chimney Tops.

Ive never hiked the Smokies in mid December, so Im not sure what to expect in terms of conditions up there. What kind of temps and snowfall should I expect?

Also, will I need any extra gear that I wouldn't need while hiking during the summer? (Other than warmer clothes, bag, etc.) I planned on getting some Yaktrax for icy trails. I won't need cramp-ons any heftier those, will I?

Any more info for hiking there in the dead of winter will be much appreciated!!

Marta
11-19-2008, 08:59
Yaktrax should be sufficient. I've never even used those in the Smokies--I've always been able to hop from snow to snow, avoiding the ice. Do bring all your warm clothing, though!!! It's also a good idea to bring some extra food, in case you get snowed in someplace.

Bear in mind that, while it could be cold and snowy, it could also be warmer and dry, or--worst case scenario in my book--just above freezing and raining. As you move up and down the mountains, you'll be in different climate zones, too.

The Solemates
11-19-2008, 10:44
best time to be out!

cant wait to hit the PA snow all next week!

gollwoods
11-21-2008, 22:17
I tried that loop in Nov 07 and it was 10 degrees at night but i was heading down the sugarland Mt trail.

e-doc
12-08-2008, 22:00
I highly recommend having a low elevation back-up plan. Your questions lead me to beleive you do not have KSE for winter backpacking in mountains that could have bad weather. Being unprepared on LeConte in a December snowstorm could be a real problem. I know of 2 hypothermia deaths in the SE in the last 8 or so years, one at Whitesides and one at LeConte. The one at Whitesides was this year and the woman was from Alabama. I have done winter climbs of Mts Washington and Mansfield and spring climbs in the Cascades. The worst weather I've ever experienced has been in the SE, specifically Grandfather.