PDA

View Full Version : seeking info about Bill Irwin

DavidNH
10-05-2008, 22:03
Hello Everyone,

Bill Irwin is the blind man who thru hiked the AT in 1990. If anyone here hiked the trail that year, could you share with me information about him that you may have acquired through direct interaction with him or even from reading trail registers? There is probably a previous thread about him and if so I'd appreciate a link to it.

The reason I am seeking this information is that I am going to give a speach about him tomorrow night (10/6/08) and would like to include some personal information from the thru hikers who met him or read about him.

Thanks so much,

David

Tinker
10-05-2008, 22:14
Bill Irwin gave a short speech at a church in Greenville(?), the town just to the west of Monson the weekend I started my 100 Mi. Wilderness hike. He is now living in Maine with his wife (forgot her name - sorry). He gave a sermon on remaining faithful to God and, just as importantly, thankful, through the good times and bad. He had had financial troubles since requests for his presence at business meetings as an inspirational speaker fell off. He got out of debt eventually, and built his "dream home", a large log cabin. During the winter as it was being built, snow built up on the 2nd floor (no roof on yet), and caved the floor in and broke the main supporting beam. It was strengthened and completed with the help of friends later. He and his wife attempted to adopt a troubled young girl, but due to his age, blindness, and, probably most of all, his devotion to God and true belief that He can do what no psychologist can do to help this young girl, she was taken from them by the State of Maine. I think that he makes a very good preacher. I hope he finds his spiritual calling, if it goes that way. You might want to pray for the situation with his would-have-been adopted daughter. I think that he would like that most of all.

rhjanes
10-05-2008, 22:35
maybe something here (click) (http://www.billirwin.com/)

Gorp-Gobbler
10-06-2008, 08:19
I shared a shelter with Bill while section hiking in VT. He was an inspiration to me as we sat and talked.
Great humanitarian in my book and a person that I'd enjoy listening to more.
I read his book and highly recommend it.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 09:06
Hello Everyone,

Bill Irwin is the blind man who thru hiked the AT in 1990. If anyone here hiked the trail that year, could you share with me information about him that you may have acquired through direct interaction with him or even from reading trail registers? There is probably a previous thread about him and if so I'd appreciate a link to it.

The reason I am seeking this information is that I am going to give a speach about him tomorrow night (10/6/08) and would like to include some personal information from the thru hikers who met him or read about him.

Thanks so much,

David
i was hiking in 90. i met him and Orient at Trail Days that year. in 98 i was in Monson at Shaw's with him and he asked me to go to church with him. i did

DavidNH
10-06-2008, 10:32
Gorp Gobbler and Lone Wolf,

Since you were fortunate enough to actually meet Bill Irwin,

How would you say he was different from other AT hikers other than his disability? Was his attitude about things show particular determination and positiveness? Or was he a very ordinary guy?

Did you ask him, and if so, what did he tell you about why he set out to do this feat.. a blind man hiking thru hiking the AT? What kept him going through all the adversity he faced?

I have read he planned to do the Long Trail afterwards. Did he finish that hike?

I would think that a man like this had to have had an affect on other thru hikers he met. I mean we all curse (aloud or private) from time to time about trail conditions, or the weather, or what ever. Then this guy comes along and hikes the trail without site. I find that truly amazing. I bet he made other folks view their own "problems" in a whole new light. Wouldn't you say?

I haven't had a chance to read his book Blind Courage but will if I can only find it.

Thanks in advance for your information and thoughts.

David

TOW
10-06-2008, 10:41
Is Bill alive or dead?

Him and I were emailing each other almost weekly and I have not been able to raise him for over three months now? I sent him a couple of emails but nothing.......

Anyway I know of Bill pretty good having met him at Shaws in '02. I lost contact with him until '05 and up until about three months ago we were emailing each other pretty regularly.

TOW
10-06-2008, 10:43
Len Weldon knew him pretty good too, he's the guy who filmed Bill while he did his thru......

Blissful
10-06-2008, 12:09
Bill's book Blind Courage is a great read. I've read it at least a dozen times.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 12:12
Gorp Gobbler and Lone Wolf,

Since you were fortunate enough to actually meet Bill Irwin,

How would you say he was different from other AT hikers other than his disability? Was his attitude about things show particular determination and positiveness? Or was he a very ordinary guy?

Did you ask him, and if so, what did he tell you about why he set out to do this feat.. a blind man hiking thru hiking the AT? What kept him going through all the adversity he faced?

I have read he planned to do the Long Trail afterwards. Did he finish that hike?

I would think that a man like this had to have had an affect on other thru hikers he met. I mean we all curse (aloud or private) from time to time about trail conditions, or the weather, or what ever. Then this guy comes along and hikes the trail without site. I find that truly amazing. I bet he made other folks view their own "problems" in a whole new light. Wouldn't you say?

I haven't had a chance to read his book Blind Courage but will if I can only find it.

Thanks in advance for your information and thoughts.

David

he's a deeply religious/spiritual man. he wasn't always. he turned to god when his bottom dropped out. you need to read his book

rhjanes
10-06-2008, 12:13
you need to read his book
Yes, Bill addresses every question you have asked, in his book..

putts
10-06-2008, 15:15
I met Bill a couple months ago in Hampden Maine. He is a truly nice person. He is extremely committed to his religion and does a lot of presentations at churches. His health is very good (as of then). And he still hikes long distance. I don't think this should be taken too seriously... but, he did mention the thought crossed his mind to hike the AT when he turns 70. After reading his book, meeting him first hand, and having hiked the AT myself. I have no reason to think he couldn't do it.

putts
10-06-2008, 15:19
...Forgot to include: billirwin.com

Good luck on your speech.

ZZXF
10-09-2008, 13:09
Interesting update on Bill Irwin. I agree Blind Courage is a great read. When I was in college about 8 years ago, I was in charge of bringing speakers to campus for a student group I was part of. I communicated with Bill (actually, his wife, I think) about possibly coming to speak. I forget the price I was quoted, but an advisor in the administration of my college said he'd never seen someone ask that much to come speak. So, I told the Irwins that we couldn't afford to bring them. For a few years after that, I kept receiving these odd e-mails from his wife with advertisements like "Get Bill Irwin for less!" "Price discounts for Bill Irwin!" in bright-colored lettering. It was almost like used car sales or something.

I think it's very hard to make a living giving speaches. Most organizations expect that, unless they're bringing in Bill Clinton or someone of that calibre, the speaker will accept just a nominal amount above travel and lodging expenses.

That's nothing against Bill Irwin -- from everything I've heard, he's a great guy, and I really wish I'd gotten a chance to hear him speak. But I can understand how someone trying to make a living giving speaches could fall on hard times.

Jack Tarlin
10-09-2008, 17:20
I don't know about "hard times" in regards to Bill.

But I do know that he makes a good part of his living as an inspirational speaker.

I also know, from first-hand experience, that schools are notoriously tight-fisted with their budgets and allocations for speakers. In short, they want well-known people to visit and speak for as little as possible.

People that make a living as desired public speakers have a right to be compensated for their time and trouble. Places or institutions that can't afford to pay the requested fees can always find another speaker.