PDA

View Full Version : What Would Terrapin Do??

warraghiyagey
10-06-2008, 09:20
For sure there are lot's of knowledgeable folks here especially in reference to hiking but as I read through all the threads Terrapin seems to stand out as a hiker who really has the system down.
I'd like to hike with him someday.
I know this should have been on the 'Who Would You Hike With?' thread but something about this guys opinions and insights makes me think he deserves a thread on his own.
So, first question would be, what is the best shelter on a long distance hike?

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 09:25
a tent

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 09:27
A nice tent:D

Saint Alfonzo
10-06-2008, 09:30
I agree with you, Lone Wolf.

MOWGLI
10-06-2008, 09:30
A snow cave.

Pedaling Fool
10-06-2008, 09:38
Only (a) terrapin knows the answer.

warraghiyagey
10-06-2008, 09:42
Second question, trail runners, heavy hiking boots, and gortex or not? Which brand is best.
Warrghy looking into snowcave requirements -

rafe
10-06-2008, 09:43
a tent

I never hike without one. Not if I'm planning to spend the night, that is.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 09:44
WWTD?

For a Terrapin would it not be a shell?

I say the best shelter is prolly LW's house.

superman
10-06-2008, 09:44
Um...no gortex but wear gortex sox?
That's the way we spell sox in NE.:) GO SOX!

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 09:45
Second question, trail runners, heavy hiking boots, and gortex or not? Which brand is best.

UUUuuunnnnhhhh.......what are those??

warraghiyagey
10-06-2008, 09:47
I never hike without one. Not if I'm planning to spend the night, that is.

What about a hammock? I have friends that tell me they can sleep on their belly in one but the designs make me think it would make my back ache. They say they can lay flat even on their tummy. Are hammocks really that comfy for tummy sleepers??

rafe
10-06-2008, 09:48
What about a hammock?

Never tried one, in the woods. Maybe someday. I'm an old dog, a hammock would be a new trick.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 09:48
What about a hammock? I have friends that tell me they can sleep on their belly in one but the designs make me think it would make my back ache. They day they can lay flat even on their tummy. Are hammocks really that comfy for tummy sleepers??

Only if you're into yoga.

Keep em coming, Wargy. I like this.

Beats working.

dessertrat
10-06-2008, 09:55
The best shelter is a tent. It is clean inside, and completely closed to the elements if you want it to be. A shelter is sometimes dirty, and open to the breeze on one side.

warraghiyagey
10-06-2008, 09:55
OK. Thanks for all the input folks. . . esp Terp. In regards to diet, I've always been a staunch believer in ramen or lipton sides for dinner, (lightweight, simple) and provide the three C's - calories, calories, calories - but are there better alternatives that might be a smidge more tasty and cost effective as what I've been eating for dinner thus far?? Any breakfast or lunch ideas would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.:sun

MOWGLI
10-06-2008, 09:57

Accompaniment by Salma Hayek are mine. :banana

Cookerhiker
10-06-2008, 10:16
OK. Thanks for all the input folks. . . esp Terp. In regards to diet, I've always been a staunch believer in ramen or lipton sides for dinner, (lightweight, simple) and provide the three C's - calories, calories, calories - but are there better alternatives that might be a smidge more tasty and cost effective as what I've been eating for dinner thus far?? Any breakfast or lunch ideas would also be greatly appreciated.

Rather than everything in one packet, you can mix & match by taking simple dry starch/grain stuff - Success Rice (brown), bulgur wheat, couscous, whole wheat pasta such as shells or macaroni - and combine with McCormick or Knorrs sauce packets. My favorite of the latter is pesto sauce and 4-cheese sauce. Bring a whole garlic along and use a clove or 2 with each meal.

I suspect it's more cost effective because you can buy whole grains in bulk and IMO tastier as well as more nutritious because of the whole grains. It just requires slightly more prep time at home. If you're thru-hiking and can't rely on a variety of grains in bulk, buy a box of your favorite - pasta or Success Rice is more likely available than the others - but you can still use the individual sauce packets if you have access to a decent grocery store.

taildragger
10-06-2008, 10:42
I think that terp would do the same as brian boitano

rafe
10-06-2008, 10:46
I think that terp would do the same as brian boitano

That one went way over my head... at least till I read the Wiki article. Especially since I never watched South Park. (I know of the show's existence and popularity, it just doesn't grab me.)

warraghiyagey
10-06-2008, 10:47
Accompaniment by Salma Hayek are mine. :banana
Nice choice:)

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 10:51
are there better alternatives that might be a smidge more tasty and cost effective as what I've been eating for dinner thus far?? Any breakfast or lunch ideas would also be greatly appreciated.

WWTD? (Staying in turtle mode here.)

Mock Turtle Soup and Turtle on the Half Shell.

What would Terrapin read? Dr. Seuss....Yertle the Turtle

Blissful
10-06-2008, 12:06
Best shelter ? Depends on the weather.

If it's single digits or sleeting or hard rain - a nice warm hostel or motel.

if it's nice weather, my tent.

rcli4
10-06-2008, 12:19
The Terrapin around here live in holes in the ground where they belong.

Clyde

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 12:35
I ran over a tortoise the other day after a rain. Wouldn't that be a terrapin as well? I don't think that terrapin ate or slept anywhere that night.

woodsy
10-06-2008, 12:51
A snow cave.
Ditto, one less thing (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22467&)you have to carry...

Connie
10-06-2008, 12:57
Did anyone say anything about hiking boots?

I like Salomon trail-running or hiking or Merrill hiking boots. Fit? Lace-up, stand on an incline, bounce weight forward. If toes hit, don't fit. Walk around: Is the heel pulling up with each step? The heel need to be more narrow. Like that. Find your brand.

All gortex gets dirty, and it's done. I don't use it.

If you have to splash get a high rand (rubbery stuff on the outside) or get some over-booties to hang off your pack afterward, but most people have sandals for the water, but I'd rather have water shoes or swim shoes I also wear around the campsite, instead of warm booties.

Gorp-Gobbler
10-06-2008, 13:28
Being a certified chef, try cruching up some variety of chips, (nacho, bbq potato, or some other flavor chip) and add these to your Ramen Noodles. Also any herbs such as Basil, Thyme, Tarragon, etc. etc. will change the flavor.
A little cut up Summer Sausage or Beef Sticks or maybe Tuna that comes in the foil packages will enhance the flavor.
Don't forget the dry cheese sauces, mayo (packets) or even mustard (packets). (Please carry the empty packets out and throw away properly).
You can't go wrong with a little diced onion, garlic (mentioned earlier) or even some diced green bell peppers. (Onion is a little heavy but it will carry well).

TOW
10-06-2008, 14:33
Nothing for Terrapin, he being the man of the woods he would just do with what is at hand like Survivorman!:D

taildragger
10-06-2008, 15:08
When crossing the Kennebec, I bet that he actually fords it on a tall stallion, which of course is something that he would be to humble to talk about on forums since so many people just take the ferry

Chaco Taco
10-06-2008, 16:05
What about Terrapin Station?? Yes Im a hippie

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 16:10
Yes Im a hippie

a wannabe. there are no "hippies" anymore

Old Hillwalker
10-06-2008, 16:17
I heard a rumor that Chuck Norris once called Terrapin

TOW
10-06-2008, 16:18
No there are not anymore hippies, that is except for Terrapin......

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:18

What did he call him?

kanga
10-06-2008, 16:26
No there are not anymore hippies, that is except for Terrapin......
is hippie supposed to be an acronym for something now? terp doesn't look like a hippie to me.

Old Hillwalker
10-06-2008, 16:32
What did he call him?

Mister Terrapin

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 16:33
Mister Terrapin

Somehow I am doubting that!!!!

NICKTHEGREEK
10-06-2008, 16:47
For sure there are lot's of knowledgeable folks here especially in reference to hiking but as I read through all the threads Terrapin seems to stand out as a hiker who really has the system down.
I'd like to hike with him someday.
I know this should have been on the 'Who Would You Hike With?' thread but something about this guys opinions and insights makes me think he deserves a thread on his own.
All the ones you aren't at seem perfect

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 17:05
All the ones you aren't at seem perfect

Hello???? Please try that again in English perhaps?

Nearly Normal
10-06-2008, 17:06
New and improved!:D

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 17:09
Who're we pickin on tomorrow?

kanga
10-06-2008, 17:19
Who're we pickin on tomorrow?

whores? what whores?

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 17:20
whores? what whores?

Where?? Point one out to me, I've never seen one!

kanga
10-06-2008, 17:23
Where?? Point one out to me, I've never seen one!

me neither, but gb says we're supposed to pick on them tomorrow!

Bulldawg
10-06-2008, 17:24
me neither, but gb says we're supposed to pick on them tomorrow!

Maybe I want to do something besides pick on them, so somebody point one out to me!!

kanga
10-06-2008, 17:25
Maybe I want to do something besides pick on them, so somebody point one out to me!!

do we need to have a talk? stay away from the hookers!

Homer&Marje
10-06-2008, 17:44

Only Chuck Norris can prevent Forest Fires. But he learned all of his skills from Terrapin, I'm sure of this. 'Tis a wise man.

taildragger
10-06-2008, 18:03
do we need to have a talk? stay away from the hookers!

Tain't nothing like fresh hookers after a long hike, just rehydrate them and you got instant hookers for dinner, goes great with grits.

TOW
10-06-2008, 18:24
is hippie supposed to be an acronym for something now? terp doesn't look like a hippie to me.believe me, he is a hippie, he is just in the closet with it......

smokymtnsteve
10-06-2008, 18:39
man is it getting crowded in here>

Connie
10-06-2008, 20:27
Terrapin is the name of a bus for The Green Tortoise.

Does The Green Tortoise bus line serve the AT?

I know. I know.. just having fun.

If The Green Tortoise does serve the AT, they have fold down beds and everything.

But me, I like my Outdoor Research bug bivy for stealth camping far from the hoards. Add a tarp with a beak for camping perfection, IMHO.

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 21:42
whores? what whores?

You got me that time.:)

Gray Blazer
10-06-2008, 21:44

Read my post about the hotels in Rome's Burning Thread.

Chaco Taco
10-06-2008, 22:56
Well then you are a wannabe hillbilly:) Aint no real hillbillies anymore

Lugnut
10-06-2008, 22:57

Take the hat off and you would look just like one! I remember, I was there. :banana

saimyoji
10-06-2008, 23:34
where is the turtleman? hasn't responded in a while.....:-?

camojack
10-07-2008, 01:08
Well then you are a wannabe hillbilly:) Aint no real hillbillies anymore
My brother's name is Billy (http://www.adrl.us/index.php/main/btg/pxm-girls-qa-with-billy-vose/)...and he lives in the hills.

Currently he's in West Virginia. Which reminds me, I'll be there this weekend (http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm).
(I should stop by and see him, if he'll be around...)

warraghiyagey
10-07-2008, 08:34
where is the turtleman? hasn't responded in a while.....:-?
I know. I've been wondering about my sleeping bag choice. I always carry a zero degree, don't mind the extra pound, plenty of cushion for warm nights atop it and I'm Never cold on the chilly nights. But lot's of folks tell me it's silly to carry the extra wait. Wondering what Terrapin or y'all think about the 0-degree bag.

Alligator
10-07-2008, 09:48
I thought there might have been an opportunity to keep this thread good-natured but I think it's best to close it.