PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Hoosiers!!

Gorp-Gobbler
10-06-2008, 13:55
Would anyone in Indiana like to get together some weekend or (evening for dinner) to discuss their plans or tell of their experiences while hiking?
So what if we don't live in one of the neighboring states the trail goes through, we can still get together and have fun.
I live in Southern Indiana but I'll meet anyone interested halfway, say in Indy or even one of the State Park Lodges.

hurryinghoosier
10-06-2008, 14:15
I could do something in Nov. I live in Indy but hike all the trails.

Gorp-Gobbler
10-06-2008, 14:25
I could do something in Nov. I live in Indy but hike all the trails.

Alright!! Ben. Perhaps we'll hear from some more. I'll PM you some time to make the plans. Okay?

Gorp-Gobbler
10-07-2008, 19:54
Would anyone in Indiana like to get together some weekend or (evening for dinner) to discuss their plans or tell of their experiences while hiking?
So what if we don't live in one of the neighboring states the trail goes through, we can still get together and have fun.
I live in Southern Indiana but I'll meet anyone interested halfway, say in Indy or even one of the State Park Lodges.

Would any WBers from Indiana like to get together sometime for a meal to discuss their plans for an upcoming hike or perhaps share their stories of past hikes?
This could be the start of an ongoing Yearly Event much like the ones in some of the states in which the trail passes through that are hard to attend because of the distance.
Perhaps one of the State Park Lodges or a nice restaurant could be the meeting place, or even a picnic area. (Just some ideas and open for suggestions).:sun

bigmac_in
10-07-2008, 21:47
G-G

I'm in Bloomington and would be willing to show up at a hoosier get together. I'd recommend having a meal, and include a hike. You know as well as I do there are a lot of good trails here in southern Indiana. Sometime in November would be OK with me.

As far as a yearly event, I'd say to plan it when we can camp, hike, BS, etc. Just my opinion.

Gorp-Gobbler
10-08-2008, 14:59
Hey BigMac:
Sounds good to me. So far it's just you, Hooiser Ben and myself. I know there are other WB'ers here in IN.
I'm wanting to do the Knob Stone this Fall if I can find the time, but if I can make a buck or two I'll work.
I'll be in touch.

m0rpheu5
10-12-2008, 13:22
I live in Indiana and would love to have a get together but am currently attending school in wyoming so i cant this year or next, but after that i should be able to. I can however do stuff during the summers.

Maryelle
10-12-2008, 21:30
For all you Indiana hikers who want to meet other AT hikers, check out the Hoosier Hikers Council website hoosierhikerscouncil.org. This group has built and maintains several trails in Indiana, including the Tecumseh Trail and the Adena Trace at Brookville Reservoir. Many of the members who do trailwork on the 3rd Saturday of the month are AT hikers, even some thru hikers. We'd love to have you join us.
The Knobstone Trail was heavily damaged by winds from Hurricane Ike and is effectively closed because of so many trees down and several miles routed on roads due to logging. Check out a hike on the Tecumseh Trail in Morgan, Monroe and Brown County for a beautiful 40+ mile hike.

Gorp-Gobbler
10-13-2008, 00:17
Maryelle:
Thanks for the info on the Knob Stone Trail, I was thinking of doing parts of it in a week(end) or two.
Where does the work crew meet on the third Saturday? I would like to try and get out and help them if I can, or perhaps that web address you left will have that info.
Thanks.

Micky
10-13-2008, 11:15
Thanks for the info on Knobstone. I was planning on going this weekend. I'm form Yorktown up by Muncie. let me know when you plan on a get togather or hike. hopefully I can go.

ChinMusic
10-13-2008, 11:32
I'm in Illinois but consider myself a part of the Indiana gang.

There is a fairly active group from Indiana that posts on http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/

The trips posted for Indiana are usually the weekend type. The folks are friendly.

Tilly
10-13-2008, 11:40
You guys are all in Southern Indiana (ie the nice part!) I live in Mishawaka (sister city of South Bend) like a mile from Michigan.

I think this would be fun.

Could we please do something in the middle?

Ha, ha as I'm typing John Mellancamp is on the radio.

Tilly
10-13-2008, 11:42
One of the state park lodges would be fun. Shades, Turkey Run, Brown County?

Tilly (displaced Jersey Girl)

Gorp-Gobbler
10-13-2008, 14:05
One of the state park lodges would be fun. Shades, Turkey Run, Brown County?

Tilly (displaced Jersey Girl)

Sorry you live way up North Tilly. I have some friends that live in Shipshewana.
I'm all for doing something in the middle. Brown County is very pretty in the fall and would be fine with me to meet there.
We could perhaps eat in the Abe Martin Lodge and all of us do the trails within the park.
I'll check into this more in detail and then PM everyone that has said they would like to get together.
Good to hear from someone up there.
You must know that Seymour is the home of John Courgar Mellencamp. Right?

Gorp-Gobbler

ChinMusic
10-13-2008, 14:09
For the middle of Indiana it's hard to beat the Charles Deam Wilderness for a nice weekend trip. It is just south of Bloomington.

Gorp-Gobbler
10-13-2008, 16:10
For the middle of Indiana it's hard to be the Charles Deam Wilderness for a nice weekend trip. It is just south of Bloomington.

Thanks for the info Chin Music. Hoosier Ben says it's nice over there.
There or Brown County would be good for a get together.
You being just over In IL are welcome to come join us if you'd like.

:welcome
Gorp-Gobbler

Maryelle
10-13-2008, 21:51
Hi Gorp Gobbler,
The Hikers Council will be working at Morgan-Monroe State Forest this weekend - Sat. the 18th. We'll meet at the Forest office at 9:00. We usually work till 3;00. If you can join us, bring water and a trail lunch. We have trail tools for you.
Morgan-Monroe state forest has two nice 10 mile loops. The trail we will be working on this Saturday is the Rock Shelter loop. Indiana does have some rocks.
For other 3rd Saturday work days, check www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org for information.
Would love to see you out there.
Maryelle

bigmac_in
10-13-2008, 21:57
Sorry you live way up North Tilly. I have some friends that live in Shipshewana.
I'm all for doing something in the middle. Brown County is very pretty in the fall and would be fine with me to meet there.
We could perhaps eat in the Abe Martin Lodge and all of us do the trails within the park.
I'll check into this more in detail and then PM everyone that has said they would like to get together.
Good to hear from someone up there.
You must know that Seymour is the home of John Courgar Mellencamp. Right?

Gorp-Gobbler

ACTUALLY, Seymour is the hometown of John Mellencamp - he now lives just outside of Bloomington. And he dislikes the "Cougar" moniker that he once used.

Gorp-Gobbler
10-14-2008, 13:15
ACTUALLY, Seymour is the hometown of John Mellencamp - he now lives just outside of Bloomington. And he dislikes the "Cougar" moniker that he once used.

That's what I meant bigmac_in, thanks for clearing that up.
I'd like to see Eric Clapton when John brings him down again for a visit.

Zzzzdyd
10-14-2008, 21:58
Evansville, IN here.

Enjoy the River to River over in Ill, the southern portion of the AT, and do

some hike training over in KY at Audubon Park.

You folks decide when and where we can get together and I will do my best

to join you.

Thanks for the backpacker link ChinMusic .

ChinMusic
10-14-2008, 22:19
You are welcome.

Trail Talk has a trip at Brookville Lake this weekend. I'll be doing the Adena Trace. I love that trail once spider season is over. It is a bitch in Sept.

Pak-Man
10-15-2008, 12:57
For all you Indiana hikers who want to meet other AT hikers, check out the Hoosier Hikers Council website hoosierhikerscouncil.org. This group has built and maintains several trails in Indiana, including the Tecumseh Trail and the Adena Trace at Brookville Reservoir. Many of the members who do trailwork on the 3rd Saturday of the month are AT hikers, even some thru hikers. We'd love to have you join us.
The Knobstone Trail was heavily damaged by winds from Hurricane Ike and is effectively closed because of so many trees down and several miles routed on roads due to logging. Check out a hike on the Tecumseh Trail in Morgan, Monroe and Brown County for a beautiful 40+ mile hike.

Just an FYI the Knobstone is not closed... The trail has been rerouted due to some logging. There have been a number of blow downs that could slow your hike.. please see attached message below and link.

Due to the high winds and storms on Sept 14, there are lots of trees down on the trail. Hiking sections may take longer than expected and parts of the trail are blocked. Our crews are working to remove the trees, but it may be several months before the work is completed.
10-6-08 update. The following trail sections have been cleared:
From mile marker 0 to mile marker 2
From mile marker 9 to mile marker 10
From mile marker 16.75 (New Chaple trailhead) to mile marker 19.5

Trail Re-route -The Spurgeon Hollow loop is closed due to timber management activity. A temporary reroute (http://www.in.gov/dnr/images/or-knobstone_closed.jpg) has been put in to avoid the closed sections of trail. The trail will be closed from Aug 2008 until further notice. We hope that the closure will be less than one year.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/2865.htm

Thanks

Tilly
10-15-2008, 14:18
Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to work I have to work most if not all weekends--ALL weekend--now, and I can't drive so far...
But if you could post a "trip report" on this thread I would love it! I need some hiking buddies.

Tilly

Gorp-Gobbler
10-15-2008, 17:30
Hi guys,

Unfortunately due to work I have to work most if not all weekends--ALL weekend--now, and I can't drive so far...
But if you could post a "trip report" on this thread I would love it! I need some hiking buddies.

Tilly

Hi Tilly: I sent everyone a PM telling about a get together for the weekend of Nov. 15 (and/or) 16.
I see now that your public profile does not have PM capabilities.
I'm still waiting for everyone's response but of those that have responded there hasn't been anyone saying they can't make it.
I just started getting weekends off and I'm sorry about your circumstances of having to work them.
If we can put our heads together, maybe we can figure something out for you to get involved with Hiking Buddies. I would like for you to be included in the activities.
Gorp-Gobbler

Gorp-Gobbler
10-15-2008, 18:06
Evansville, IN here.

Enjoy the River to River over in Ill, the southern portion of the AT, and do

some hike training over in KY at Audubon Park.

You folks decide when and where we can get together and I will do my best

to join you.

Zzzzdyd:
We have a tentative date of the subject line of this thread for a get together in either Brown County or Deam Wilderness. A hike with a meal either before or after. More on this.
Gorp-Gobbler

ChinMusic
10-15-2008, 18:33
If we do Deam, I know the perfect restaurant for an after-hike meal. They have a half-full baggy of water hanging over the doorway to "keep flies out"........great tenderloins.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Pate2006/Pate3.jpg

Gorp-Gobbler
10-16-2008, 15:33
Hi Gorp Gobbler,
The Hikers Council will be working at Morgan-Monroe State Forest this weekend - Sat. the 18th. We'll meet at the Forest office at 9:00. We usually work till 3;00. If you can join us, bring water and a trail lunch. We have trail tools for you.
Morgan-Monroe state forest has two nice 10 mile loops. The trail we will be working on this Saturday is the Rock Shelter loop. Indiana does have some rocks.
For other 3rd Saturday work days, check www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org (http://www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org) for information.
Would love to see you out there.
Maryelle

Maryelle:
I work third shift at the local Truck Stop so I get off at 7:00 am. I usually go home and sleep an hour or two and then I'm up the rest of the day.
I'm off Sat. & Sun. so if I do come up any time it will be after you all are out on the trail. I'll find you. I'm not sure if I can make this Sat. though, I'll have to see.

Maryelle
10-16-2008, 20:50
Hi Gorp Gobbler,
We'll be working on the Rock Shelter Trail at Morgan-Monroe State Forest south of Martinsville. We'll meet at the forest office on the main road at 9:00 and drive just a little bit to the Low Gap/Rock Shelter trail.
Come when you get off work if you can. We'll have folks working on both ends of the loop trail, so if you come late and start down the Rock Shelter trail, youll be sure to find some of us. Ask for Bonnie and Clyde and you'll find my husband and me.
Hope to see you and anyone else who wants to come out on a beautiful fall day and have fun digging in the dirt.
Maryelle

Tilly
10-27-2008, 18:51
Hey Fellow Hoosiers,

Don't forget to post a "trip report" on your activities for the 15th of Nov at Brown county state park . Unfortnately I am working Friday night through Sunday most of the winter.

Have a good time!