PDA

View Full Version : January NOBO From Springer Mtn.

brandon2287
10-06-2008, 18:44
Hi all,

I'm hoping to hike from Springer Mtn., GA to Hot Springs, NC starting in early January. I have absolutely no idea what the weather conditions are going to be like in the high-altitude smokies. Any ideas? Should I pack for snow? Even snow-shoes?

Thanks!!!

Blissful
10-06-2008, 19:39
Welcome to White Blaze!

Expect it cold and snow, dark (with short days) and lonely. (I've talked to several that went out in Jan, not many stayed out). Better too if you have hiked and camped in those kind of conditions and know what to do.

max patch
10-06-2008, 20:59
Hi all,

I'm hoping to hike from Springer Mtn., GA to Hot Springs, NC starting in early January. I have absolutely no idea what the weather conditions are going to be like in the high-altitude smokies. Any ideas? Should I pack for snow? Even snow-shoes?

Thanks!!!

Pack money. You'll need it for the nights you'll spend in hotels and town food while you wait for the weather to clear/stop snowing/stop raining/get warmer/etc.

bloodmountainman
10-06-2008, 21:06
It'll be cold in GA. Colder in N.C. and really cold up high in the Smokies!
Prepare for ALL weather conditions. Like Max said ....plenty of money for hotels and HOT cooked meals. Expect VERY high winds most of the time.

Egads
10-06-2008, 21:16
Expect cold & windy alternated with wet & foggy. Snow doesn't last more than a few days. Leave the shoe shoes in Ohio.

kayak karl
10-06-2008, 21:30
i hear this all the time. " you'll spend in hotels and town food while you wait for the weather to clear/stop snowing/stop raining/get warmer/etc." "plenty of money for hotels and HOT cooked meals" if you are planning winter HIKING i assume you know it will be COLD. you dont need to duck into every town just because the weather changes. you either hiking or your town hopping. be prepared and keep going. snowshoes! have ready for mail drop, never know. instep crampons aren't a bad idea. hike your own hike:)

Marta
10-06-2008, 21:53
There will be a New Year's Eve party on Springer. Several hikers will set off on their hikes. Rocky and Swamp Fox will be heading out on Jan. 1, 2009.

Ron Haven
10-06-2008, 22:34
Keep these peoples phone numbers handy,Josh Saints at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega,Wes Wisson in Suches,Joyce and Sally Smith in Hiawassee,Me Ron Haven in Franklin,and Jeff Hoke in Fontana just in case you need us.We are all listed in all the guide books.Weather this time in the year can change quickly at times even if the forecast says different.Many does it and good luck.:)