PDA

View Full Version : water safety

randy moore
03-19-2004, 23:30
My questions is as follows. I recently purchased an exstream water purifer for safe drinking not realizing that it would be for drinking only. If I boil my water when cooking will this take care of any , whatever? Also how long should I boil the water, I plan on eating a lot of noodles, potatoes, drink coffee etc. Will this work ar do I need to buy another water purifer? thanks in advance

smokymtnsteve
03-19-2004, 23:34
I use untreated water to cook...I make sure to bring the h20 to a rolling boil with the lid on the pot ..boiling is actually the SAFEST method of backcountry water treatment.

blairspangler
03-20-2004, 09:30
I carry an extra quart of water that I purify and use to cook with or for emergency if I run out of water in my Camelback. According to Backpacker when boiling water bringing it to boiling is sufficient to puirify the water. Boiling for any more time is just a waste of fuel.

tribes
03-20-2004, 09:59
I never used treated water to cook with. Bringing the H20 to a rolling boil should kill the nasties. I only use aqua mira on the water that I am gonna actually drink.

Jaybird
03-20-2004, 10:25
My questions is as follows. I recently purchased an exstream water purifer for safe drinking not realizing that it would be for drinking only. If I boil my water when cooking will this take care of any , whatever?............

Randy M:

i have a Bota version of the same "scoop n' go" style water bottle you purchased.

On my last section hike...i only used it for "emergency" purposes only.
I ALWAYS boil my water for cooking (as was said in previous post this IS the most effective way to kill the little buggers that's in the water)

Otherwise i just use the Iodine tabs... :D

No need to have 2 purifiers!

good luck with your hike.

illininagel
03-20-2004, 11:15
It's probably a very obvious tip, but I also take the opportunity while the water is in a rolling boil to place my eating utensil in the water for 30 seconds or so. It seems like a good opportunity to "purify" that as well.