PDA

View Full Version : can we talk blue blazes?

Serial 07
10-06-2008, 20:23
i'm interested in some of the more scenic blue blazes that are accessable from the A.T...anybody got suggestions? veterans, i know you know...i don't want to stray too far off the A.T., i mean i want to come back to it, i just want to see some other good things along the way...things that i probably missed the past two years...ill campsites or crazy waterfalls...blue blazes baby...holla at'cha boy...

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 20:26
i'm the undisputed king of blue-blazing

bigmac_in
10-06-2008, 20:27

True Dat ! ! :D

Hooch
10-06-2008, 20:27
Fo' shizzle my nizzle. If you want to know about a blue blazed trail ask LW.

Serial 07
10-06-2008, 20:31
i know that...i'm gonna holla at'cha later wolfie...i just wanted to start my own post and see what info i got...

bloodmountainman
10-06-2008, 20:36
Done a good many of 'em in Ga. and North Carolina.
Logan Turnpike, Approach Trail out of Amicalola Falls, Duncan Ridge, Coosa Backcountry, Benton Mackye, all the side trails around the Standing Indian Loop.
Bushwacking logging roads to the AT. All kinds of "em in the Smokies.
Get on one and see where it takes you. :D

KG4FAM
10-06-2008, 20:50
I like to take the old jeep road from Tellico Gap to Wesser Bald. Ain't scenic or anything like that, but its nice and straight up and will whoop you pretty good.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2008, 20:51
I like to take the old jeep road from Tellico Gap to Wesser Bald. Ain't scenic or anything like that, but its nice and straight up and will whoop you pretty good.

it was the AT at one time

kayak karl
10-06-2008, 21:03
i'm interested in some of the more scenic blue blazes that are accessable from the A.T...anybody got suggestions? veterans, i know you know...i don't want to stray too far off the A.T., i mean i want to come back to it, i just want to see some other good things along the way...things that i probably missed the past two years...ill campsites or crazy waterfalls...blue blazes baby...holla at'cha boy...
in PA Mt. Tammany, Mt Minnci, http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/hikes-wsf.htm Pulpit Rock and Pinnacle Peak http://pa.audubon.org/kittatinny/hawks_tpn.html are nice views.

shoe
10-06-2008, 21:18
I haven't done alot of blue blazes but Racoon Run up in PA was kind of boring.

Serial 07
10-06-2008, 21:37
thanks for the "one's to avoid" add...also valuable...

Feral Bill
10-06-2008, 22:39
You could spend a few days exploring Harriman SP.

Tin Man
10-06-2008, 23:07
Race brook falls in southern mass is right off the trail...between Mt. Race and Mt. Everett...check it out...

http://www.aria-database.com/waterfall/fallsmonth/8-99.html

brianos
10-06-2008, 23:08
I haven't done alot of blue blazes but Racoon Run up in PA was kind of boring.
That one was also once the official route of the AT! Rocky Mountain is quite different terrain... :-?

shoe
10-06-2008, 23:14
That one was also once the official route of the AT! Rocky Mountain is quite different terrain... :-?

That's good to know. Now I don't feel so guilty :)

Tennessee Viking
10-06-2008, 23:30
Holston Mtn - Holston Mtn trail is old AT and leads to Holston High Knob, Low Gap campground and views from Flint Rock.

Dennis Cove - Coon Den Falls Trail about 1.5 miles south of Dennis Cove Road.

Laurel Fork Trail - Using forest roads, you can jump on it at Bitter End area of Buck Mtn area. The Dennis Cove side is easier to access from the campground, lots of waterfalls and cascades.

Laurel Fork Gorge - Just south of the Gorge trail/Highwater split, climb up the side of the railroad cut and follow a small trail up to Potato Top.

Roan Mtn - Cross the Cloudland Parking Lot to the Cloudland Trail. You can visit Roan High Bluff and the Rodo Gardens. Grassy Ridge Bald Trail just north of Jand Bald.

Unaka Mtn - Take the access trail south of Low Gap to FSR 230. Walk the road up to Stamping Ridge and Pleasant Gardens/Unaka Overlook.

Forest Roads on Flattop Mountain. The roads lead to several open flat areas overlooking the Nolichucky Gorge. You also access an old logging road trail to the ghost town of Lost Cove. Popular for hunters and historians.

Big Stamp on Big Bald Mountian. Follow the road north after crossing the Big Bald summit.

Below Camp Creek Mountain on the TN side is Phillips Hollow trail. On the North Carolina side, there is Hickey Creek, Jerry Miller, Fork Ridge, and Green Ridge trails leading down to the Laurel Backcountry. Below Big Butt/Cold Spring on the TN side is Horse Creek Road, Sarvis Cove, and Squibb Creek Trails.

There is an old trail just south of Tanyard Gap that leads down to the Laurel River Trail and Runion, an abandoned logging town along the French Broad.

Serial 07
10-07-2008, 00:02
awesome...i'm gonna write all this down...keep it comin'...if you know a good blue blaze that i've probably missed, i want to hear about it...thanks everyone...

Serial 07
10-07-2008, 00:07
Race brook falls in southern mass is right off the trail...between Mt. Race and Mt. Everett...check it out...

this looks great...thanks man...

Monkeywrench
10-07-2008, 07:24
On the AT/LT just north of Story Spring Shelter (south of Stratton Mtn), when the trail crosses USFS 71, turn left on the road and walk down to where it T's at the Kelly Stand Rd. Turn right and cross the bridge, then there is a parking area on your left and the trail head for the Stratton Pond Trail. Back when Stratton Mtn was owned by International Paper and they wouldn't let the trail go over the summit, this was the AT / LT route. It's a nice, easy 4 miles into Stratton Pond. From Stratton Pond take the Lye Brook Trail west into the Lye Brook Wilderness Area and to Bourne Pond. At Bourne Pond turn north on the Branch Pond Trail which in several miles will take you past William Douglas Shelter and intersect with the AT / LT .9 miles south of Prospect Rock. This all was the route of the At / LT when I first hiked it, back in the mid-70s. The trails in the Lye Brook Wilderness are little used and only lightly maintained. When I was up there a couple weekends ago part of the Branch Pond Trail had been flooded by a new beaver dam (allenf.blogspot.com).

KG4FAM
10-07-2008, 09:16
The old AT south into Monson. It is a long road walk, but I like it. You get to see Monson pond, the old train station that is falling apart, take the cement bridge over Big Wilson, and whats got to be one of the best views of Barren Mountain. The locals love seeing people out there doing it too. Some folks in a truck slowed down and took our picture, and the guy at the maple syrup farm got us a drink from his spring and had a nice long talk. There is some kind of cross country ski park out there and those people cheered us on. Over near the cement bridge there was a place called "Trail Magic Massage Therapy". Back in the old days the folks down that road got to see hikers all the time and it looked like they loved it, but they threw the trail out in the woods and they don't get to see us anymore.

TOW
10-07-2008, 09:17
BJ might argue with you on that one.............

wakapak
10-07-2008, 09:20
The old AT south into Monson. It is a long road walk, but I like it. You get to see Monson pond, the old train station that is falling apart, take the cement bridge over Big Wilson, and whats got to be one of the best views of Barren Mountain. The locals love seeing people out there doing it too. Some folks in a truck slowed down and took our picture, and the guy at the maple syrup farm got us a drink from his spring and had a nice long talk. There is some kind of cross country ski park out there and those people cheered us on. Over near the cement bridge there was a place called "Trail Magic Massage Therapy". Back in the old days the folks down that road got to see hikers all the time and it looked like they loved it, but they threw the trail out in the woods and they don't get to see us anymore.

that one sounds good!!!

you can also blue blaze into Monson coming north, there's a sign on the trail where the blue blaze intersects it, it follows an old road bed for a short distance then spits you out onto a well maintained dirt road which you take right up to Shaw's (its the road Shaw's is on). it goes past part of Lake Hebron with lots of little cottages on it. it was a nice easy walk right into Monson!

max patch
10-07-2008, 10:00
If you are really serious about blue blazes, then you'll need to suck it up and carry an extra 8 ounces in your pack and take the ATC Trail Guides with maps. Between the maps and the commentary you'll know where quite a few blue blazes go.

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 10:42
BJ might argue with you on that one.............

who's BJ?

Serial 07
10-07-2008, 11:12
don't worry wolf, no BJ is better than you! ;)

dessertrat
10-07-2008, 11:23

So tell him about the good ones.

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 11:26
there are too many to list and i only type with one finger

Yukon
10-07-2008, 11:36
On the AT/LT just north of Story Spring Shelter (south of Stratton Mtn), when the trail crosses USFS 71, turn left on the road and walk down to where it T's at the Kelly Stand Rd. Turn right and cross the bridge, then there is a parking area on your left and the trail head for the Stratton Pond Trail. Back when Stratton Mtn was owned by International Paper and they wouldn't let the trail go over the summit, this was the AT / LT route. It's a nice, easy 4 miles into Stratton Pond. From Stratton Pond take the Lye Brook Trail west into the Lye Brook Wilderness Area and to Bourne Pond. At Bourne Pond turn north on the Branch Pond Trail which in several miles will take you past William Douglas Shelter and intersect with the AT / LT .9 miles south of Prospect Rock. This all was the route of the At / LT when I first hiked it, back in the mid-70s. The trails in the Lye Brook Wilderness are little used and only lightly maintained. When I was up there a couple weekends ago part of the Branch Pond Trail had been flooded by a new beaver dam (allenf.blogspot.com).

While you're doing this checkout the falls in the Lye Brook wilderness, beautiful!

dessertrat
10-07-2008, 11:39

All this time I just thought you were a man of few words, and now I find out you're a Sgt. Wojohowitz.

rickb
10-07-2008, 20:02
Sobos can see migrating hawks in any number of places, but I am thinking a blue blaze to some of the most popular viewing spots, like at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, might be worthwhile.

Birders will be happy to share their binoculars and share everything they know. If you ask them.

Egads
10-07-2008, 20:07

One at a time, same way to Maine

Blissful
10-07-2008, 23:12
Some good blue blazes to wander in SNP - White Oak Canyon, Old Rag, even walking the Skyline drive to Hogback overlook which has a commanding view rather than the AT that follows in the woods. In fact, many of the overlooks on the SKyline Drvie offer great views not to be missed and a short distance off the AT.

emerald
10-08-2008, 06:37
Sobos can see migrating hawks in any number of places, but I am thinking a blue blaze to some of the most popular viewing spots, like at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, might be worthwhile.

Birders will be happy to share their binoculars and share everything they know. If you ask them.

Good places to observe raptors on the AT in Pennsylvania include Baer Rocks and Bake Oven Knob, but the best place is Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's North Lookout which is accessed by their Skyline Trail or from Hawk Mountain Road.

Go to Hiking at Hawk Mountain (http://hawkmountain.org/index.php?pr=Hiking) for more information or to see today's count visit their home page.

earlyriser26
10-08-2008, 06:52
I don't often Blue Blaze, but sometimes Blues are better than the AT or were the AT and have been changed. I also like the jeep trail to the top of Wesser (old AT), it will get your heart pumping. Also, great palce to tent on observation platform. Near Dennis Cove, Coon Den Falls trail (again old AT), caution, this is VERY steep and should not be used in bad weather, but nice falls. My favorite - Bemmis Stream Trail in ME, follows rocky stream (much better than going over Bemmis Mt. when it it is foggy).

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 10:53
wow, this has gotten a lot of responses...thanks...

jhick
10-08-2008, 11:24
Locations in Pennsylvania on the AT include Baer Rocks and Bake Oven Knob. Will add more information about HMS later today.

great spots, but they aren't blue blazes.

oldalbatross
06-16-2010, 09:04
I am short goal oriented, due to my age, so I hike to waterfalls. My favorites are off the AT due to it's well maintained condition.

There are at least six in the Dennis Cove area of TN. Well worth slipping off the AT.

Caution: Waterfalls are addictive.

DavidNH
06-16-2010, 09:19
when you get to the whites.. from Mt Guyot take the bond cliff trail south to Mt Bond for one of the finest views anywhere in the whites. Better than any view on the AT in that area.

Blue blazing is better in my book than yellow blazing cause you are still walking.

Hard core true blue thru hikers DON"T SLACK PACK!

David

Lone Wolf
06-16-2010, 09:24

you got that right

clodhopper
06-16-2010, 11:42
when you get to the whites.. from Mt Guyot take the bond cliff trail south to Mt Bond for one of the finest views anywhere in the whites. Better than any view on the AT in that area.

Blue blazing is better in my book than yellow blazing cause you are still walking.

David

Completely agree-that view is awesome.