PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice....

Lionus
10-07-2008, 02:05
Well.....I am planning on starting out for a good 2 1/2 month hike on the CDT starting early may till the beginning of august. I will be doing a NOBO but stopping in colorado somewhere to catch a plane in august. I have my gear pretty much figured out. Except for clothing. Im trying to keep it a lite as possible. Any suggestions? Was thinking a softshell plus a wool sweater would be enough insulation but softshells arent waterproof. Should I expect cold nights? And should a 20 degree WM sleeping bag be enough? Does anyone know where I could find out any information on what to expect from the weather during this time period?

Also, is anyone else thinking about leaving around May 10th?

Thanks for the help.

Spirit Walker
10-07-2008, 11:31
If you're starting at the southern border in mid-May, you will initially be dealing with heat and lack of water. The windmills may be turned off before you get there. We found several that had been disconnected a week or two before our arrival in late April, but it was a drought year. You may find the national forests in NM closed. Late May is when they do that, if it becomes necessary.

If I were you, I'd start at about Grants, which is farther north and higher in elevation. Until you reach the Carson NF you'll be dealing with warm and generally dry conditions. In the Carson you climb up to 10,000', so will have much cooler temperatures, especially at night. When you reach Colorado you'll be climbing up to 12-13,000' on a daily basis. If you're there before mid-June there will be snow on the ground and you may get snowed upon. The whole time you're in Colorado you'll be at elevation (above 10,000').

We did a northbound thruhike in 2006 in a low snow year. My journal is at www.spiriteaglehome.com in the Journals section. You'll get some idea of what NM and Colorado are like at that time of year. Many of the northbound hikers were a week ahead of us and they had a considerably more difficult hike because they underestimated the conditions.

As to gear - yes, bring good raingear. If you get a foot of snow dumped on you -- a real possibility in May and June -- you'll be happy you did. Once summer begins in Colorado, you'll be dealing with afternoon rain and hail storms. Again, good raingear is a necessity. Plus it's good mosquito protection in Colorado. For the summer part of our hike we just used long underwear tops, supplex pants, a patagonia micropuff jacket and Marmot precip rain jacket. We carried warm hats and gloves as well, and needed them while hiking in the San Juans in mid-June during a snow squall. Later in the season, in September, we added a light Marmot windshirt/jacket. You may find it hot in Colorado in July and August, or you may have daily rains. I've dealt with both in mid-Summer.