PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Pants

2009ThruHiker
10-07-2008, 12:37
Looking for some feedback on Convertible pants you like or dislike and why> I need a new pair for my thru and i love the versatility of convertible pants. I use a North Face pair now, but they have a plastic buckle and latch, kind of a built in belt, that sometimes is uncomfy when I use my pack. So, any suggestions would be appreciated!

ASUGrad
10-07-2008, 13:52
If it is warm enough to wear convertibles, I just wear shorts. I carry a pair of sweatpants anyway.

I know a guy who hikes in shorts. When he gets to camp, he puts on rain pants.

Blissful
10-07-2008, 13:56
The only ones I liked that were comfortable - Royal Robbins zip n go convertible pants. Picked up my first pair on my hike at Mountain Crossings. They are great and no belt. I have them in three sizes for when I lost weight (something else to think about, esp if you tend to be overweight at all).

Lyle
10-07-2008, 13:58
REI Sahara are the most comfortable I've used. Fit very well, dry quick.

I've used Sportif for many years in the past for both hiking and trail building. Very durable and light. Still serviceable but showing wear now after about 6 years. They never fit as well as the Saharas do though.

Hooch
10-07-2008, 13:59
Personally, I like the REI Sahara pants. The price is right, they have a money back guarantee and I've never had a problem with them. They're definitely good stuff. If ya don't like the plastic buckle on the belt and don't need it, just cut it out. No big deal. :D

HikerRanky
10-07-2008, 14:00
Since the original subject was about convertible pants, and this is the Straight Forward Forum, I'll keep my answer to that subject.....

I have several pair of the REI Sahara pants, and I really like them... They do have the built in belt and the plastic buckle like your North Face ones do, but it doesn't seem to bother me... Obviously, yours do.

I would also recommend going to your nearest Bass Pro Shop store, and check out their World Wide Sportmans convertible pants.... Many times they have them on sale for about $20/pair.

The WWS pants have a mesh net inside the pants that I don't care for, so I cut that out.... But they don't have the built in belt like the REI and TNF pants do.

Ex Officio also has a pair of convertible pants, and so do Columbia..... They are somewhat pricey ( $70 bucks plus)

Hope this helps.....

Randy

Spogatz
10-07-2008, 14:22
Bass Pro Shops sell a type of convertible pants for 20 bucks a pair that are great. They are made for fishing but work well for hiking too. There is a mesh net inside the pants for the commandos out that but I just cut that part out.

Yukon
10-07-2008, 14:36
I have a pair from EMS, can't remember the exact name of the pant but they are the EMS brand and I really like them so far.

JaxHiker
10-07-2008, 15:21
I used my Field & Stream ripstop convertibles for my recent hike through Ocala Natl Forest. No way would I have wanted shorts. The tree debris and saw palmettos would have ripped me to shreds. These were very lightweight and held up well to all the garbage I had to fight my way through. I think I paid about $20 at Dick's. Another benefit to keeping them as pants instead of shorts is skeeter protection (when they're treated with permethrin). Only wore them as shorts around camp.

ChinMusic
10-07-2008, 15:39
IMO the the REI Sahara pants are the way to go.

One modification to these pants to make em better is to sew the front bellows on the cargo (leg) pockets flat. Those pockets have a tendency to catch on things. You don't need the volume in those pockets that the bellows allow. By sewing the front bellows only you still have a large pocket, just one that doesn't catch on things.

TickPicker
10-07-2008, 15:41
I have a pair of Campmor's own brand that have worked well for me. The material they are made of dries out fast but keeps you warm. And even though I don't remember I know the price was right.

take-a-knee
10-07-2008, 15:42
REI Saharas, they go on sale a couple of times yearly for about $40.

Spirit Walker
10-07-2008, 16:56
I've worn REI Saharas for several years, but have found in the last few years that the quality has really gone down. The zippers especially are a problem - they break much too easily. I found that I was scared to unzip the legs, because the second or third time I did, the zipper broke. I've also had the zipper break in the wash or when I squatted. Yes, REI will replace them, but when you're on the trail, it isn't easy.

Sizing has also gotten erratic. We've mail ordered the pants and found the sizes all over the map. Three pairs the same size, supposedly. One is too tight, one is baggy and three inches too long, one is just right.

So, now I'm looking for something else to wear hiking. I'll check out Bass Pro.

take-a-knee
10-07-2008, 17:02
I've worn REI Saharas for several years, but have found in the last few years that the quality has really gone down. The zippers especially are a problem - they break much too easily. I found that I was scared to unzip the legs, because the second or third time I did, the zipper broke. I've also had the zipper break in the wash or when I squatted. Yes, REI will replace them, but when you're on the trail, it isn't easy.

Sizing has also gotten erratic. We've mail ordered the pants and found the sizes all over the map. Three pairs the same size, supposedly. One is too tight, one is baggy and three inches too long, one is just right.

Now that you mention it I had to return a pair to the store that I'd ordered that were too small, I wear the small size and 2 of 3 pairs fit great and I couldn't get in the third pair. They also got rid of the cell phone pocket inside the left cargo pocket.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-07-2008, 17:28
I have a couple of pair in ripstop that are real featherweights. They were no brands my bride got me at Marshalls or some where. best part they had 42" long nylon belts with plastic buckles. Each pair was $5.00.
Do I like them, not really, but they are light.
Same goes for a 60.00 pair from TNF. Nice quality but anything in the pockets falls out when you sit (except for the mini zip pocket).

Serial 07
10-07-2008, 17:35
go straight for the north face convertibles at REI...they're the best...durable, rugged, look good with some crocs...

Hooch
10-07-2008, 17:40
go straight for the north face convertibles at REI...they're the best...durable, rugged, look good with some crocs........and overpriced. You forgot overpriced. :D

Jim Adams
10-07-2008, 17:47
I have TNF, Campmor, Campmor deluxe, REI, Exofficio and EMS.
The EMS are my favorites...fit, comfort, features.
Campmor is my second favorite. I like them better than the Campmor deluxe which has zippered pockets and a full length liner.
The rest are all very nice, very comforable and all seem to be very durable but I just like the EMS and Campmor better.
Stick to a name brand and I imagine that you won't go wrong.

geek

dessertrat
10-07-2008, 17:48
I also have a pair of the campmor brand and a pair of EMS brand. Both are fine.

Serial 07
10-07-2008, 18:12
yeah, overpriced...but it's north face and all the sorority girls will think you're cool...

Summit
10-07-2008, 18:19
Gotta 5th or 6th the REI Sahara convertibles. The thing that kept me from convertibles was the feel of the zipper seam on the leg/knee. Tried on a lot of pair and just didn't like the feel of where the bottoms and tops connected. The REI Saharas are great. You don't feel a seam and they are durable and dry very fast. I liked my first khaki pair so much that I got a second pair (gray). The pockets are nice too, especially the right cargo pocket on the thigh. It zips shut as well as velcros shut. Great for items you're paranoid about losing! :eek:

Hooch
10-07-2008, 18:33
yeah, overpriced...but it's north face and all the sorority girls will think you're cool...Oh yeah, that matters to me. Really. :rolleyes::p In all seriousness, I think that if they work for a person, then go for it. I like the Saharas for the price, comfort and fit. There's no right or wrong answer in what works for each indivicual hiker, the Saharas are just my contribution to the thread.

Egads
10-07-2008, 20:11
Ex Officio Buzz-off convertible pants, nary a tick bite when I've had them on

Skidsteer
10-07-2008, 20:56

FYI, I have the same complaint the last two years about the World Wide Sportsman brand from Bass pro. They used to be a consistent product but now it's a crap shoot.

Summit
10-07-2008, 22:29
Ex Officio Buzz-off convertible pants, nary a tick bite when I've had them onOr buy the pants of your choice, i.e. the REI Saharas and apply the same thing Ex Officio uses, Permethrin. Even the 'Buzz-off' clothing line states that they should be re-treated after a certain period of time.

Levlle
10-09-2008, 15:08
I bought a pair from Bean at the beginning of the summer. I really like the versatility of them, but one thing I noticed the first time I 'converted' them...

I had to take my shoes off to get the legs off. Not really a very efficient way to make it happen. I mean, if you have to take your shoes off, you could just as easily change your pants completely.

My suggestion would be to make sure the ones you purchase have zippered legs so you can get them on and off without removing your shoes.

dperry
10-10-2008, 00:59
The zippers especially are a problem - they break much too easily. I found that I was scared to unzip the legs, because the second or third time I did, the zipper broke. I've also had the zipper break in the wash or when I squatted. Yes, REI will replace them, but when you're on the trail, it isn't easy.

My zipper problem has actually been with the zippable pocket. On the one pair I have, it has gotten stuck closed a couple of times. I have to be careful and make sure I only zip it 98% closed. Other than that, I like the pants too.

Colter
10-10-2008, 10:20
I used a pair on the CDT this summer and they lasted 2,000 miles. (Cuffs were getting worn out.) I replaced them with another pair.

Light, fast drying, no zipper chafing, good pockets, the belt is comfortable under a pack, good design for adjusting cuffs, easy on/off for the lower legs, and the chicks dig me when I'm wearing them.

ChinMusic
10-10-2008, 11:10
My zipper problem has actually been with the zippable pocket. On the one pair I have, it has gotten stuck closed a couple of times. I have to be careful and make sure I only zip it 98% closed. Other than that, I like the pants too.
Same here. I had a set of car keys I couldn't get out because the zipper stuck on the pocket....took me like 20 minutes. I really don't even think that pocket needs a zipper because of the velcro. I just leave it unzipped.

They must use a different zipper where it counts as that one hasn't been a problem.....:D

Wags
10-11-2008, 10:26
nylon or poly track pants are something worth looking into as well. a long zipper on the side offers good ventilation

Peaks
10-11-2008, 15:53
Am I the only one who thinks convertable pants are heavy (because of the zipper)? I'd rather carry a long pair of pants and a pair of shorts before carrying convertable pants.

HikerRanky
10-11-2008, 16:07
Am I the only one who thinks convertable pants are heavy (because of the zipper)? I'd rather carry a long pair of pants and a pair of shorts before carrying convertable pants.

I found that the REI Saharas are very lightweight..... The ones I bought from Bass Pro do feel heavier than the Saharas IMHO....

aaroniguana
10-11-2008, 16:27
Pair of Saharas and a pair from EMS. I prefer the Saharas.

Colter
10-12-2008, 12:08

A lot of convertible pants weigh in the 12 oz. range. That's much lighter than most shorts/pants combos.

River Runner
10-13-2008, 13:53
Another vote for the REI Saharas, although I have to say I prefer the fit of the ones I bought about four years ago than the current ones. I also prefered the configuration of the pockets on the older ones, but the newer ones are still better than other brands I've looked at.

I really love the little zip-up security pocket on the right side hand pocket. Few other brands have that.

I did have to size up one size on the new style in order to get the proper fit in the hips and seat, which made the waist a tad big, but with the belt it isn't a big issue.

ChinMusic
10-13-2008, 14:04
I really love the little zip-up security pocket on the right side hand pocket. Few other brands have that.

Me too. I was thinking that I just hadn't noticed the pocket years ago til I got an old pair out of the closet and noticed it was missing.

Great pocket for lip balm and fingernail clippers. Never have to worry about them falling out. I used to lose lip balm all the time.

River Runner
10-13-2008, 14:05
BTW, one reason I like convertibles is that I prefer hiking in pants for the leg protection, but being able to zip off the legs for stream crossings is nice, especially in cooler weather when I don't want my pant legs to be wet.

Peaks
10-13-2008, 16:00
BTW, one reason I like convertibles is that I prefer hiking in pants for the leg protection, but being able to zip off the legs for stream crossings is nice, especially in cooler weather when I don't want my pant legs to be wet.

Being able to zip on legs when walking through poison ivy is nice!

owlbebak
10-13-2008, 20:42
I have had a pair of North Face Paramount convertible pants that I liked a lot but was disappointed to have the zipper break. I thought about sewing another one in it but found iron on Velcro at the local fabric store and ironed it on in a few minutes. So far it works and was a cheap repair.

phillycheze
10-14-2008, 11:15
mountain hard wear all the way.

Wise Old Owl
10-14-2008, 12:20
I remember someone posting this before, The brand is unimportant, what is important is gettin them on & off without taking the boots off, Deep mesh pockets for stuff so when you sit nothing falls out. Rip Stop Nylon in case of briars. And zippers that work. a couple of loops to attach light carbiners are nice too.

Price - Dicks sporting goods freqently liquidates clothing at this time due to seasonal changes Columbia and others can be had (last time I shopped ) $25 No Name brands can be found at Walmart even cheaper.

Mrs Baggins
10-14-2008, 12:48
REI Sahara for me. And they come in Petites! They're actually Petite, too - I'm 4' 10" and the length is perfect for me. Too many "Petites" are really for someone who is at least 5'4". I read recently that you should just get by with a pair of baggy shorts and long underwear if you want leg coverage. But the underwear would snag and probably tear way too easily on brush. My convertibles don't snag at all and I stay very comfy in them. Super easy to wash out and dry fast. I take them on all of our overseas trips for that reason.