PDA

View Full Version : Pack Belt Issue

2009ThruHiker
10-07-2008, 12:41
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could help me out in figuring what is causing some hip issues when I hike... the bones that protrude on the front of my waist, at the hips, get sore after one day of hiking. Two + days and wow it gets pretty bad. Am I wearing the hip belt in the wrong place?
I use a Granite Gear Vapor Trail if that is any help in answering this problem. It was also fitted for my size so I don't believe that is an issue.

THANKS!

Hoop
10-07-2008, 13:22
If those bones protrude, that's the issue. I'm skinny, and supplementing the hip belt with padding made a world of differrence to me. I cut the ends off a pair of painter's mitts and slid 'em on. I guess they could double as hand warmers in winter camp.

adventurousmtnlvr
10-07-2008, 15:06
men and women's hip belts go in different places I think from my own recent fitting. For now I agree with above person ... try padding. My hip belt is fine right now (had it molded to my shape which you can do 3 times before having to get a new one, or so they said). My shoulder straps hurt a lot though even with an empty pack so I was told by Mtn. Crossings to use those lambskin seatbelt covers (shoulder strap area in a car, lol) as they velcrow ... I was able to cut one in half ... so it works fine for shoulder strap areas ... but I bet it you bought 2 of them at an auto place .. cut them in half as they are long ... then use the 2 smallpieces velcrowed together to fit around a larger hipbelt (larger than the shoulder straps I mean). It can be taken off as needed to clean that way. Just a thought .... but I'm brand new to backpacking, so only giving ideas (but not from experience).

BookBurner
10-07-2008, 22:03
How heavy is your pack when its loaded with gear, food, and water?

2009ThruHiker
10-08-2008, 11:31
How heavy is your pack when its loaded with gear, food, and water?

it happens even with 10 lbs. in the pack. I think i'll try the painters mitts and see what happens.

BookBurner
10-08-2008, 19:02
If even 10 pounds does the trick, it sounds like your over-tightening the hip belt. Presuming your shoulder straps are adjusted properly, 10 pounds should barely put any weight on your hip bones, certainly not enough to bruise them up. Experiment with loosening up the belt.

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 19:36
Use some closed cell foam, cut two slits in it and run the straps through for added support. I know that the Granite Gear Packs dont give much padding in the hip area. You could always cut out the waistbelt, some dont even use a belt if they are going that light.

Blissful
10-08-2008, 20:06
I found out it was part of trail life for me... Some days was better than others. But you may need a better belt. The ones on the lightweight packs have little padding to cut weight. Though I had pain with both kinds, on one side only.

Jack Tarlin
10-08-2008, 21:07
1. Don't be 100% sure that just cuz you were "fitted for your size" in person
that the person did it right. Most folks who work in Outfitter stores either
don't know how to fit packs or haven't been adequately trained to do it
right. Find a store near you and have it checked out. I suggest you see
Laura Wright at the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry who is a great pack fitter.
And if it turns out you were fitted wrong at the outset, the Granite Gear
folks, who are great people, will work with you on this and make it right.

2. Some folks have really bony hip bones, and sometimes, this requires extra
belt padding than any belt provides. There's stuff you can do with towels,
duct tape, etc. to add padding, but first of all, make sure sure you have the
correct torso size and correct hip belt size and then work from there.

stranger
10-09-2008, 03:09
The discomfort you are experiencing from you hipbelt is most likely not a sizing issue, unless the cant (not size) of the hipbelt is incorrect, I suspect this is unlikely in a Vapor Trail. The issue could, and probably is, you or your body. Either the angle of your hipbones is different from the angle of the hipbelt, or you are just simply experiencing discomfort because what you are doing (carrying weight on your hipbones) isn't exactly natural. How each person's body, and more importantly skin, reacts to that varies considerably.

Adding foam, padding, etc...will only increase pressure to this area so although it may be softer initially, you may find this doesn't work in the long run. What you might find is that after 5-6 days of hiking this will go away on its own, simply because your body adapts. Personally I expect to deal with very irritated hips on days 2-6 on a long distance hike, then it goes away.

Clothing can affect this as well, I always try to have the top of my shorts below the bottom of my hipbelt, this seems to help. And obviously, the more weight you carry the more this will be a problem in those early days.