PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag suggestions

itsallgoodchuck
10-07-2008, 16:16
Hi, I am a newbie to the boards and have only ever done summer camping. I'm planning on an AT thru hike in 2010.
I have been browsing a lot of threads and there are many mixed ideas so was hoping I could gather a few in one spot without much arguing.
Was wondering if you could suggest a few sleeping bags. Im not sure whether I will go with synthetic or down. Also im mostly looking for a very light bag at an affordable price. I havnt figured out what that price is yet though lol. I am a pretty hot sleeper and a skinny 5'10". If you guys have a link that would be great as well. Thank you in advance.
Chuck

Lone Wolf
10-07-2008, 16:20
i've had this bag for a few years. no complaints, great bag at the price.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

ChinMusic
10-07-2008, 17:04
You will be more comfortable with two bags (~10-20 and ~30-40), but if you are wanting just one bag, the one LW posted is a good/practical choice.

dessertrat
10-07-2008, 17:24
Yes, the Campmor 20 degree is very popular. If you don't like a mummy bag, they also make a rectangular one that is a bit heavier but will give you more freedom of movement.

Lyle
10-07-2008, 17:35
I would check ebay. Here are two REI sub Kilo's. Rated to 20*. That may be an optomisitc rating based on reviews. I recently bought one used, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280274167709

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200260725495

Lots of other good bags available if you keep your eyes open. Less than the going price, including Western Mountaineering and Montbell. These are great bags.

If interested in Montbell, this seller has all of the Super Stretch bags available for substantially less than most sellers. These are high-end bags, as are the Western Mountaineering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-MontBell-Super-Strech-UL-Sleeping-Bag-2-Reg_W0QQitemZ200259612194QQihZ010QQcategoryZ111262 QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m183QQ_trkparmsZalgo %3DCRX%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DUCC%25 2BUCI%252BLA%252BLM%252BUS-WP%252BSI%26otn%3D12%26ps%3D34

Hope this helps. All kinds of good bags out there.

buz
10-08-2008, 08:14
You have lots of time, so you can buy wisely. Fit in a bag is like a pack, kinda personal, kinda predictable, kinda feely/trying. I would personally try and get to some high level outfitters near you, or in the future when you are traveling, visit them. Try out their high level bags, note the exact sizing/girth that works best for you. Then at least you can make valid comparisons on size if you purchase from them or somewhere else. Having a base line size that works for you is very important, IMO. You don't want one too big or small, and knowing what size is good is trial and error. This could literally be the last bag you buy, if you buy wisely and don't change shape too much lol.

Our scout troop uses the campmor ones, and they are very hard to beat on the value for the dollar vs. weight vs. cost. I would say their rating is optimistic, thou, in that the 20 is really more like a 30 degree bag. But it still is a good value.

slowandlow
10-08-2008, 10:01
Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super. It's not cheap, but it is very light, very warm, has a full zipper to use as a quilt on warmer nights, and will last a lifetime.

taildragger
10-08-2008, 11:30
i've had this bag for a few years. no complaints, great bag at the price.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

Ditto

Also, EMS makes some light 20's (Kirby had one I believe) along with REI (also already mentioned)

If you want to go with a more expensive lighter bag look into Marmot, Western mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Montbell.

As far as types, I think think the 10-20 and then a cheap 40* bag (Lafuma makes some good light and cheap, or a Montbell Thermalwrap would work nicely as a summer bag)

garbanz
10-08-2008, 12:02
I ve used a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag for a couple years now. Its light and expensive and came well recommended. The first year or so it was was plenty warm. The last thru hike I did I had to put on extra clothes to stay warm when the night temp got into the 30's. The down has either shifted or became compressed to where cold spots (ie the toe box) are noticable.

itsallgoodchuck
10-08-2008, 13:09
Thanks you guys a lot, you've steered me in a good direction. What do you guys find are the pros and cons between down and synthetic?

taildragger
10-08-2008, 13:18
Thanks you guys a lot, you've steered me in a good direction. What do you guys find are the pros and cons between down and synthetic?

Synthetic: Cheap, will not completely collapse completely when wet, won't last as long

Down: Lighter, more compact, will last longer, can collapse when wet

I'd go down, I've never gotten a bag wet when I used synthetic, so I figured why worry about it

ChinMusic
10-08-2008, 13:43
What do you guys find are the pros and cons between down and synthetic?
I would only buy a synthetic in the 50-degree range, where I basically have a thin blanket.

For "real" sleeping bags I only go with down. They are lighter, pack smaller, and more comfortable (IMO). Yes, they are inferior to synthetic if wet and more expensive. I throw away the stuff sack that comes with them and pack them in a dry sack. Quality bags repel minor drips from condensation/etc. I've never gotten a down bag wet. On a trail like the AT the advantage of a synthetic's warmth when wet is minimal.

itsallgoodchuck
10-08-2008, 22:30
thanks guys. A friend of mine suggested a Lafuma Pro down bag was wondering if anyone has used their products and how they find them. Generally warmer or colder than their rating? also how durable?