PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix Hotel - Gatlinburg, TN

mts4602
10-07-2008, 23:25
Is the Grand Prix Hotel in Gatlinburg an OK hotel?

For instance like umm, not nasty, ok service ect..?

MTS

Nest
10-07-2008, 23:47
It's ok, but the Red Roof Inn behind it was better this year. It was a couple dollars cheaper, a lot cleaner, and just generally nicer. Everyone who stayed in the Grand Prix was pissed when they saw the rooms we had. The major plus for the Grand Prix is the laundry room, which the Red Roof does not have. But there is an apartment complex type of place across the street with a laundry room that we used instead.

KG4FAM
10-08-2008, 07:54
I stayed at the Grand Prix two years ago, so things might have changed. The rooms were basic, no frills rooms. The lady that worked there was very nice and had no problems helping with town information. I went to the office one time and she was on the phone with someone that sounded like they owned or ran the place and they were talking about rooms that they actually don't reserve so that hikers would have a place. Another hiker that was not staying the night in town was able to use their internet (might be a couple of dollar charge, dont know)

MOWGLI
10-08-2008, 08:59
Personally, I wouldn't go into Gatlinburg unless there was a blizzard up on the AT. I'd get a drop at Fontana Village, and go all the way through the park.

Footslogger
10-08-2008, 10:34
Is the Grand Prix Hotel in Gatlinburg an OK hotel?

For instance like umm, not nasty, ok service ect..?

MTS
==========================

It ain't the Ritz ...but for a decent bed and overnight stay it gets the job done. Plus it's right up the street from the Happy Hiker outfitter. It's on the other side of town from the Post Office and major grocery store but Gatllinburg isn't that big and all that stuff is well within walking range.

'Slogger

mts4602
10-08-2008, 21:37
Thanks for the help,

I've been to Gatlinburg several times and heard of this hotel but I've never checked it out.

I was supposed to take a couple friends backpacking that had never been before but everything in the Smokies is booked up until next week. We were going to get a cabin and do day hikes, but they are all booked up too.

So that's where the Grand Prix came in b/c I heard they were good to hikers which is good to know. In the end we decided to go to Red River Gorge here in KY instead. I've only been to the smokies on the border of winter so I've never had a problem getting a campsite. Next time I'll make sure to reserve early:cool:. I'll keep the Grand Prix in mind though.

On another note, I like Gatlinburg. Not b/c of the tacky tourist stuff, but b/c I feel it serves a lot of different people and has been good for me. I can get friends to go down there and get a nice cabin. They want to drink, I want to hike. We all get what we want.

Oh and my girlfriend will only go hiking with me if she gets to shop at least 1 day.:rolleyes:

Critterman
10-08-2008, 22:09
They had free doughnuts every morning when we were there in April, otherwise a typical cheap motel.

Walessp
10-09-2008, 19:39
Stayed there about a year and a half ago. I was in one of the Smokies blizzards at the time and was very lucky to get a hitch into town. However, the Grand Prix is a pretty basic motel, but "any port in a storm" is welcome. Definitely better than the Relax Inn near Marion VA, but check the Red Roof first in G'Burg.

Outlaw