PDA

View Full Version : Struggling w/ clothing options

Unclegorb
10-08-2008, 01:09
Ok, so i've got most of my gearlist complete (Mid-May NOBO 2009), but the one section that i'm really struggling with is clothing.

The big item that I can't decide on is a jacket...One side of me feels that a fleece may be to "light" and not provide enough warmth. While the other side of me feels that a down or synthetic type jacket would be over-kill. Any insight would be helpful.

I could also use some help trimming the "fat" off of my clothing list...Keep in mind while viewing the list i'm a big guy (6'1" 240lbs) and tend to sweat a lot when hiking and "run hot" when it comes to body tempature.

(Anything with a "?" i'm undecided on and would appreciate some suggestions)

Jacket (?) [1]
Wicking T-Shirts [2] 5 oz
Under Armor Underwear [2] 3.5 oz
REI Adventures Pants [1] 14 oz
Running Shorts [2] 5.4 oz
UnderArmor WinterGear Long Sleeve [1] 7 oz
Polartech Long Undies [1] 9 oz
XPS Rain Jacket [1] 13.5 oz
Lightweight Gloves (?) [1]
Knit Hat (?) [1]
Smartwool Socks [3] 2 oz

Thanks Guys!

Wags
10-08-2008, 01:18
knit hat is in my pack regardless of planned distance or temps

down/syntec jacket will probably be just as light, if not lighter, than your fleece and give you more protection 'just in case'. i'd err on the side of cold

gloves are more a personal choice imo. if it gets really cold you can always put some extra socks on your hands as mittens

i'd dump 1 pair of running shorts

good luck brosef

Unclegorb
10-08-2008, 01:41
I've got a knit hat that I keep in my bag 99% of the time, I just need a new one. So, I was seeing if anyone had any suggestions of a specific product. The one i've got now is on its last leg...

Marta
10-08-2008, 06:45
I'm a fan of fleece jackets myself. They can be somewhat bulkier and heavier than a down jacket but they have the huge advantage of staying warm when wet and can be worn while hiking without damaging their insulating ability. For instance, in a light to moderate rain, I tend to wear just a fleece jacket--without a rain jacket--because the fleece jacket is breathable while the rain jacket is not.

As far as a knit hat, you can pretty much go with whatever takes your fancy. My favorite knit hat at this point is a real cheapie acrylic made by Carhart, the makers of work and hunting clothing. Or you can go stylish with something wool or alpaca, made in the Andes. Your current hat may be just the thing to start the trip with. If it dies or disappears, you can always replace it en route.

I always carry gloves, too, usually fleece, but I have cold hands. Using hiking poles leaves your hands hanging out there in the wind and rain--sort of like riding a bike.

My main suggestion, as always, is to spend as many weekends and holidays between now and March doing shorter backpacking trips. You should be able to work out a good system for yourself. "System" and "yourself" are the key words. Your metabolism, body type, etc. are going to be different from other people's, so you'll need to figure out how much clothing it takes you to keep warm when it's cold and to keep cool when it's warm. How much heat do you generate when you're hiking, and when you're sleeping in your particular tent and sleeping bag? Do you have one favorite shirt or jacket that you need to make everything else work around?

max patch
10-08-2008, 07:24
Fleece is fine.

bigcranky
10-08-2008, 07:45
For a mid-May nobo start, a light fleece is fine. A pullover is lighter than a full-zip jacket, but less versatile. Regular fleece (i.e. not "windproof") is better IMHO, as you can add your rain shell or a windshirt for wind protection when it gets cold.

I like my Mountain Hardwear Microdome hat, made of microfleece. It's always in my pack. I got it somewhere on half price sale years ago, but I've seen them in stores recently. I carry lightweight gloves except in mid-summer.

Your clothing list is fine, though you have some extras that you'll likely send home pretty quickly.

BookBurner
10-08-2008, 10:56
I've really enjoyed my Montbell Down Inner Jacket. It's plenty warm enough for a May start and October finish, especially when teamed up with a light rain jacket. But it's certainly not the overkill that a full-on down jacket would provide. It's also lighter than fleece and a lot less bulky. Two thumbs way up!

As for your other clothing decisions, you do not need two pairs of everything. Hike in the same clothes (except maybe socks) every day. Otherwise you're just toting one pile of festering stuff in your pack and wearing one pile of festering stuff on your back. Thru-hiker mantra - same shirt, different day.

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 11:02
too many shorts...one pair will be enough...

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 11:11
I agree wirth Serial, one pair is good. Remember, you will be walking most of the day. For the upper body go with lite layers. I did hiking t shirt like a Dri mode (walmart shirt) base layer, micro fleece half zip, Jacket. The thing is, you will shed most of your clothing while walking, even if its cold. Have the mid layer to throw on when you stop. When you get to camp, you will be moving around enough to stay warm before jumping in your bag. I started with way too much clothing. The main thing up North is a good warm hat. Layer layer layer. The only time you really need to worry about layering is at the beginning and when you get to Vermont. Keep it really simple

Mags
10-08-2008, 14:55
My standard reply for a good, light and inexepsive jacket nowadays:

If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an army liner jacket
http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

If you don't mind a bit of sewing, you can make a Montbell Thermwrap clone for less than $20 with the above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz! Considering a Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for those on a budget on who need something warm, light and cheap!

Check it out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

There is nothing wrong with fleece. It is just a bit heavy and bulky by today's standards. If you have it, and don't want to change out your gear at this date, you'll be fine.

I'll also chime in with the "one pair of clothing is fine" school. (two pairs of hiking socks being the exception; swap it out every day. I also like a "sacred stash" of fleece socks just for camp. Warm and dry feet= happy Mags!)

Finally, I'd really pay attention to Marta's advice and go off and backpack. BBSs are great for general info and ideas. However, NOTHING beats getting ready for a backpacking trip other than backpacking.