PDA

View Full Version : The addiction is stronger

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 11:21
Ok, so I have been back for a week. Im looking for a job and have probably found a good one. I just cant stop thinking about hiking though. I miss it so much. I havent been home yet and am wondering what it will be like when I start working. I love the AT but know that its only a weekend thing for me now. Im drooling over the PCT. It is so different and seems more challenging. Just want to share my thoughts with my fellow hikers. I am even more addicted to this hiking business. Im glad that after 6 months of hiking, the fire is still burning, actually buring even brighter. I have been on WB more than ever also. Kinda pathetic:p

kanga
10-08-2008, 11:32
i never got over that, but it was easier after about 3 months. (that's when i stopped having to sleep in the backyard..)

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 12:04
over it? not me...i think miss janet said it best when she called me (and people like me) "her spring tulips"...every spring we show up...the trail needs young people to embrace it as previous generations have and keep up the spirit that really makes the trail great...forget about getting over it...can't hike, do some magic...the trail is an amazing place...

Time To Fly 97
10-08-2008, 12:29
Your AT thru-hike will ALWAYS be with you my friend. As you level out into the working world, you will be reminded of the AT in the smell of strong pine, a song from your year, the sound of the wind, and I find, when you do good deeds for others. I get it every time when I work out - with no surprise, a weight vest and an old pair of Lekis. That fire is a joy and a blessing. Congratulations and welcome to the oh so few who know that feeling.

Happy hiking!

TTF

mweinstone
10-08-2008, 13:12
doyal with jack and dude and a northbounder and some southbounders commin in were shutteling later. chaco,...call me if your staying at my house and ill tell you where the secret entrance is. you can use it anyway you like. eat anything. use anything. hump anywhere. jacks breakfast this morn was so freakin great it put your wonderful dinner you made us in vernon church look meager even though it was good. jack outdid himself and created a renaissance in the egg world.

mweinstone
10-08-2008, 13:41
more folks commin in every hour didn't know there were that many southbounders still heading this way. might have to get jack to cook breakfast all over again sorry chaco but he really is a mcuh better cook than you are maybe you should try a new profession or try out for dancing with the stars or something but for now jack owns the kitcjen don't be mad at me.

Dogwood
10-08-2008, 14:24
It doesn't surprise me to hear so many hikers combining a love for being outdoors in nature with some higher power. If U believe the story in Genesis, and I do, someone, who I call God, didn't place us in a cubicle, car, square house, on a bus, or in or on something manmade of glass, steel, concrete or asphalt. God placed us in a garden. I believe it is in everyone's heart to go to that place where we live in harmony with ourselves, others, our environment, and yes, even God. Somehow, hiking is a vehicle that puts us in a place where we were meant to function best. It is the call of our spirits to return to that place.

Hiking in nature, as on the AT, let's us remove much of that 'static' that clouds us from seeing who we really are and what we really desire. By 'static' I don't me avoiding responsibility, commitment. or hard work. I mean greed, fear, pride, selfishness, anger, materialism, consumerism, etc. It gives us the time to resolve issues and come full circle. Hiking in nature hints at the promise that we will somehow be different, more complete, better. It lets us live simpler less cluttered lives. Hiking will overwelmingly demonstrate that there is still good in this world. The best way I can describe completing a long hike is to imagine something so pure, innocent, healthy, thought provoking, inspirational, cleansing, and overcoming that you can't but help to be changed forever. It will make you aware of something or someone greater than yourself.

Perhaps, it is not just an addiction or being pathetic but it is your inner self desiring for you to stay or get back to that place where we were meant to be. I think I know how you feel! Indeed, it is a joy and a blessing! You will NEVER be the same!

NICKTHEGREEK
10-08-2008, 15:04
You set a goal, you made it. Was this the highpoint of your life or another step toward bigger things? At your young age you should look to higher, harder, goals and use your experience on the AT to help you achieve them. Congratulations and best wishes for continuing success.

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 15:45
dang dogwood...preach on...the trail is so splendid...even in my everyday now, i see things differently, have different priorities and expect different things not only of myself, but others...there is certainly nothing like the trail and i'm thankful to have accomplished it...but like nick says, there's always bigger and better to strive for!

i may just get another thru in before i conquer those other things :)

Jim Adams
10-08-2008, 17:53
Chaco,
If you think it is hard now....you are not even close to being ready to handle March!!!!!!!!!:)

geek

The Solemates
10-08-2008, 17:58
It doesn't surprise me to hear so many hikers combining a love for being outdoors in nature with some higher power. If U believe the story in Genesis, and I do, someone, who I call God, didn't place us in a cubicle, car, square house, on a bus, or in or on something manmade of glass, steel, concrete or asphalt. God placed us in a garden. I believe it is in everyone's heart to go to that place where we live in harmony with ourselves, others, our environment, and yes, even God. Somehow, hiking is a vehicle that puts us in a place where we were meant to function best. It is the call of our spirits to return to that place.

Hiking in nature, as on the AT, let's us remove much of that 'static' that clouds us from seeing who we really are and what we really desire. By 'static' I don't me avoiding responsibility, commitment. or hard work. I mean greed, fear, pride, selfishness, anger, materialism, consumerism, etc. It gives us the time to resolve issues and come full circle. Hiking in nature hints at the promise that we will somehow be different, more complete, better. It lets us live simpler less cluttered lives. Hiking will overwelmingly demonstrate that there is still good in this world. The best way I can describe completing a long hike is to imagine something so pure, innocent, healthy, thought provoking, inspirational, cleansing, and overcoming that you can't but help to be changed forever. It will make you aware of something or someone greater than yourself.

Perhaps, it is not just an addiction or being pathetic but it is your inner self desiring for you to stay or get back to that place where we were meant to be. I think I know how you feel! Indeed, it is a joy and a blessing! You will NEVER be the same!

wow. very inspiring. i tend to agree...

Footslogger
10-08-2008, 18:00
Ok, so I have been back for a week. Im looking for a job and have probably found a good one. I just cant stop thinking about hiking though. I miss it so much. I havent been home yet and am wondering what it will be like when I start working. I love the AT but know that its only a weekend thing for me now. Im drooling over the PCT. It is so different and seems more challenging. Just want to share my thoughts with my fellow hikers. I am even more addicted to this hiking business. Im glad that after 6 months of hiking, the fire is still burning, actually buring even brighter. I have been on WB more than ever also. Kinda pathetic:p
===============================

Totally normal man. Been over 5 years for me and hardly a day goes by when I don't have some thought of the trail. Probably doesn't help that I have trail photos hanging all over at work.

Just kick back and give it time to settle in.

All the best on your re-entry ...

'Slogger

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 18:01
Chaco,
If you think it is hard now....you are not even close to being ready to handle March!!!!!!!!!:)

geek

Did feel a connection to something much bigger than me. Felt the closness to nature I was hoping for. Def dont know what will happen in March. Wak will have to keep me grounded from going out but then again, we see her past record.:sun Ill be doing lotta magic and a big feed next year. Cant wait to give back too.

Jack Tarlin
10-08-2008, 18:15
Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold Post #6 above against Matty since he didn't actually write it....that was me, as Matty left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyle and I got on-line pretending to write in Matty-style which was a rather interesting exercise. Your cooking is actually pretty good and it's much better than your dancing, so don't hold anything against poor Matty. Moral of story: When you sign OFF of Whiteblaze on a public space, do it right, or there will be consequences. :D

Chaco Taco
10-08-2008, 18:30
Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold Post #6 above against Matty since he didn't actually write it....that was me, as Matty left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyle and I got on-line pretending to write in Matty-style which was a rather interesting exercise. Your cooking is actually pretty good and it's much better than your dancing, so don't hold anything against poor Matty. Moral of story: When you sign OFF of Whiteblaze on a public space, do it right, or there will be consequences. :D
Dont make me challenge you old man!;)

Jim Adams
10-08-2008, 18:38
Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold post #14 above against Jack since he didn't actually write it....that was me,as Jack left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyal and I got on-line pretending to write in Jack-style which was a rather interesting exercise. You cooking is actually pretty horrible but your dancing is just so HOT, HOT, HOT! so don't hold anything against poor Jack. Moral of the story:When you sign off whiteblaze ANYWHERE, there will be consequences.:D

geek

Sorry Jack....just couldn't resist!!!:D

wakapak
10-08-2008, 18:47
Hey Chaco, just so you know, don't hold post #14 above against Jack since he didn't actually write it....that was me,as Jack left his Whiteblaze account wide open at the Doyal and I got on-line pretending to write in Jack-style which was a rather interesting exercise. You cooking is actually pretty horrible but your dancing is just so HOT, HOT, HOT! so don't hold anything against poor Jack. Moral of the story:When you sign off whiteblaze ANYWHERE, there will be consequences.:D

geek

That is too funny!!!

Geek are you at the Doyle really????

wakapak
10-08-2008, 18:48

geek

Youre talking about Chaco's dancing being hot, hot hot?? whats that song you used to *ahem* "dance" too??????? ;)

wakapak
10-08-2008, 18:51
Did feel a connection to something much bigger than me. Felt the closness to nature I was hoping for. Def dont know what will happen in March. Wak will have to keep me grounded from going out but then again, we see her past record.:sun Ill be doing lotta magic and a big feed next year. Cant wait to give back too.

yeah, my track record for being grounded isn't the best around, that's for sure!!! We'll see what happens with me next march too!! :p

rdsoxfan
10-08-2008, 19:14
In response to what "Dogwood" said: I so whole heartedly agree with you with every word you said. Its so true. I feel so alive when I'm in the woods. I feel one with nature and God. I feel as though its where I belong. I get such a high when I'm out there. I feel inspired. It makes me want to give up the everyday life of materialism and greed, selfishness etc. that you eluded too. Theres something to be said for simplicity. Less is definitely more. Kudos to you for the inspired words. Thank you!

Lone Wolf
10-08-2008, 19:48

it's about choices. you make it a lifestyle or you don't.

Jim Adams
10-08-2008, 20:20
Youre talking about Chaco's dancing being hot, hot hot?? whats that song you used to *ahem* "dance" too??????? ;)

No, I'm not at the Doyal...I'm at work.

Dancing?....Dancing?......Dancing?.....Who said anything about my dancing? I just stay at work, working my a$$ off, you know...."BALLS TO THE WALLS".:D

geek

Jack Tarlin
10-08-2008, 20:29
Geez, Wak, Chaco dances like Springsteen, i.e not very well. It's kind of an inborn genetic thing but I can't go into it since we can't talk politics here anymore.

But, no. Chaco can't dance. And this won't change.

wakapak
10-08-2008, 21:07
No, I'm not at the Doyal...I'm at work.

Dancing?....Dancing?......Dancing?.....Who said anything about my dancing? I just stay at work, working my a$$ off, you know...."BALLS TO THE WALLS".:D

geek

haha!!! yeah, that's the song...i couldnt remember it but i could remember the story though! :D

Bearpaw88
10-09-2008, 12:27
I am not sure who wrote what in this thread anymore, but it is really entertaining.

Hey Chaco like they all say you probably won't get over it. After I finish the AT I'll be on the the CDT. The western trail are really beautiful. The hiking is actually physically easier in the parts I have done. (average grade 17%)

Kanga- I wonder how many hikers sleep in their lawns after a thru-hike. I tried it on my first night back from 800 miles and my landlord kicked me off the lawn. Oh well.

Jack, Dude, Matty - Hi and hope your having a good time at the Doyle.

Chaco Taco
10-09-2008, 20:14
Geez, Wak, Chaco dances like Springsteen, i.e not very well. It's kind of an inborn genetic thing but I can't go into it since we can't talk politics here anymore.

But, no. Chaco can't dance. And this won't change.
Ill bet watching you dance is like watching someone have a seizure:D

Powder River
10-10-2008, 00:13
Chaco,

I guess its kind of opposite for me, I summited 3 days before I had to be at work, and have been working non-stop for a week and a half now. It is such a different world that the trail seems distant, almost as if it were a year ago. It is almost surreal, as if the whole thing is a memory. I still have the desire to be hiking, but this is tempered by the fact that my knees are shot and just walking down or up stairs is painful. I will sadly probably scrap my plans to do some fall hiking because of that.

I wish I had had some time to absorb the amazing journey, but life goes on and the economy doesn't appear to be waiting so I'm glad I started work. However, I have been keeping track of all the hikers who summited this week after waiting out the closure, and really wish I were there for that big party. It made me really homesick for the trail, reading all the names of people in Millinocket. Looks like most of the good friends I made on the trail were in that crowd, I bet that was one awesome time up on top.

Anyways, I'm envious of you being able to relax and savor the accomplishment. Like some of the other posters I think I will relish getting Springer fever every march, and at the same time having nothing to prove I will be able to enjoy hiking more.

mtt37849
10-10-2008, 00:23
i never got over that, but it was easier after about 3 months. (that's when i stopped having to sleep in the backyard..)

:)
Great.... now did u chose to go to the backyard or did your wife put you out there b/c u wouldn't quit talking about the trail?? lol

seaside
10-10-2008, 13:07
Anyone seen or heard from Thor?

Red Hat
10-10-2008, 13:15
Chaco, sorry to say, once you're addicted, you don't get over it. October comes and you miss the trail. March comes and you dream of hiking with the Spring thrus. July comes and you want to head to Maine. And every walk you take anywhere, makes you think of the trail. I try to do 4-6 miles almost every day, and I spend way too much time on WB or TJ when I'm not walking. Lucky for me I'm retired!

Jim Adams
10-11-2008, 08:12
In 1990 I slept outside from Oct.6 to Dec.20...couldn't sleep indoors if you paid me. Being around people everyday back home slowly brought me indoors.

OTOH, after hiking 1,000 miles of the PCT, I left the trail at 11,000 and 18 hours later was on the ambulance treating a stroke pt. Talk about an eye opener!

geek

whitelightning
10-17-2008, 22:41
It's now been a little over a week since I finished my thruhike. I'm also looking for a new job. I haven't left New England yet. It was a beautiful day here, and I felt like hiking instead of looking for work. I already miss being out there. I still haven't adjusted to sleeping on a bed inside. But I'm trying.

Chaco, it was great to meet you and Wak this year. Best of luck to you both. If you're planning to do magic in the NC/TN area, send me a PM. I'll be glad to join you. I'll probably end up back in TN eventually.

White Lightning

Tinker
10-17-2008, 22:54
Hiking is natural.
Missing hiking is natural.
Nature is SUPERnatural.
".....we've got to get ourselves back to the garden" (Crosby, Stills, and Nash).