PDA

View Full Version : Louise Chatfield Shelter

Berserker
10-08-2008, 13:23
I did not see a thread on this shelter. Anyone have any info or comments on it? How is the surrounding area for tenting?

WILLIAM HAYES
10-08-2008, 13:25
When I did this section I don't recall any tenting areas near the shelter there may be some I would stay at the shelter It is really a great location next to a neat creek which is only a few paces away, As I went by he shelter I recall thinking I wish I had stayed there

Hillbilly

John B
10-08-2008, 13:36
There is a nice stream directly in front of the shelter. It has a picnic table and would probably sleep six. There is a privy in back of the shelter about 10 yards up the hill. In my opinion, I agree that there are no tent sites in the immediate area of the shelter; however, about 200 yards south of the shelter the terrain levels out enough to tent.

southpaw95
10-08-2008, 13:50
it's 500 miles from springer.

Cookerhiker
10-08-2008, 16:28
I stayed there on a winter night in February '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=87810). I arrived near dark and the next day was gloomy with continued freezing rain so I didn't see much of the area around the shelter. When the freezing rain began overnight, I was sure grateful for the shelter's presence! The lip of the shelter was a thick glaze the next morning and the day's hike sounded like broken glass every time I brushed past the rhododendron.

sticks&stones
10-08-2008, 19:44
spent x-mas eve there in 00 on a sobo thruhike. It was kind of a bummer, with the cold snap and snow. At least i wasnt alone as at the time i was hiking with a sobo from isreal, though she had no interest in celebrating x-mas. we had hoped to be waking up at partnership that morning, a more appropriate place to spend x-mas eve, but we fell short pushing thru deep snow.
Its one of those few shelters without tenting. during peak hiking season its not one of those shelters you want to arrive late in snow. I did that once. the shelter was full, snowing, and i had to move on, night hiking to the motel a few miles north.

Jack Tarlin
10-09-2008, 16:53
Chatfield's about 532 miles from Springer, and there's no good tenting. Another option would be the new hostel that has opened a few miles north of there.

Berserker
01-13-2010, 13:44
Ok, so we've established that there is not tenting at the shelter proper. How about nearby? Someone mentioned a level area 200 yards South. Anything else nearby? What about Glade Mountain summit 2 miles South?

John B
01-13-2010, 13:59
I should have said about 200 yrds north of the shelter. I stayed at the shelter, Garlic tented near there -- you could shoot him a PM for more specifics.

Berserker
01-18-2010, 13:52
Ok, so we've established that there is not tenting at the shelter proper. How about nearby? Someone mentioned a level area 200 yards South. Anything else nearby? What about Glade Mountain summit 2 miles South?
Not 100% sure because there was decent amount of snow on the ground, but there doesn't seem to be anything near this shelter for tenting that looks half way decent. The shelter itself is nestled up against the side of a mountain with a stream running right in front of it, so no room for a tent there. I just ended up doing the bivy in the shelter. Only got harrassed by maybe 1 or two mice all night...not too bad.

As for Glade Mountain, I can't comment on it. There was a significant amount of snow on top of it so I couldn't see the lay of the terrain at all.

SWW
07-15-2015, 16:29
There are at least 4 places right around the shelter where you could put up a one-person tent. Not ideal, but possible.

GoldenBear
09-19-2015, 23:44
I will echo the statements about there being (pretty much) no decent areas for tenting at this shelter. The ground is not level, and rocks are everywhere.

I'll also note that, yesterday morning, the stream in front of the shelter was flowing well.

Wolf Man, the person sharing the shelter with me, said that the privy was almost full. I hate to be indelicate about this, but, for some people, this could be a significant problem -- just saying.